Start by marking “The Galosh” as Want to Read:
The Galosh

The Galosh

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In his prime, satirist Mikhail Zoschenko was more widely read in the Soviet Union than either Pasternak or Solzhenitsyn. His stories give expression to the bewildered experience of the ordinary Soviet citizen struggling to survive in the 1920's and `30s, beset by an acute housing shortage, ubiquitous theft and corruption, and the impenetrable new ideological language of th ...more
Published August 17th 2006 by The Overlook Press (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Galosh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Galosh

Gwen
Dec 18, 2007 Gwen rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best collection of short essays I've ever read. I'm not always a fan of short essays, but these cracked me up.

The author was a satirist writing in the 1920s and 1930s, just after the Bolshevik revolution in Russia. The essays were all published in Russian newspapers, both mainstream and satirical.

All the essays are humorous but also heart-breaking musings on the state of post-Revolution Russia, and in particular how people deal when official propaganda and ideology don't matc
Erma Odrach
Jul 21, 2009 Erma Odrach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M. Zoshchenko is my favorite satirist of all time. These very short stories (1-3 pages) were written in the 1920's, providing a glimpse into the then modernized Russia. Zoshchenko, a Ukrainian writing in Russian, was the most popular satirist of the Soviet period. In 'What Generosity' (one of my favorite stories), Soviet brewery workers are rewarded with two free bottles of beer, but the beers are rejects with woodchips, flies, hair, and other inedible items in them. When home, the workers open ...more
Zach
Jun 12, 2011 Zach rated it really liked it
This collection of short short stories (almost all of them come in at less than three pages) is an enjoyable satire of life in early Soviet Russia. While the don't have much in the way of linguistic or literary merit, they are, from a sociological perspective, very much worth reading. Insight can be drawn from them about the concerns of the average Russian citizen during this period, and the biting social commentary is still relevant today, even 80 years, thousands of miles, and a political and ...more
Meg
Apr 01, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
I would have really loved these stories if I read them they way they were intended and originally printed: as occasional treats published individually in magazines. However, in a collection of 65, they're harder to take. The stories, each only 2-4 pages long, are generally very funny although the "proletarian" writing style and the topics become repetitive after more than a few stories in a row. All in all, they're great, fun stories, but they require a lot of dilution with other reading.
Neil
Feb 14, 2014 Neil rated it really liked it
Brief sketches of life in the early Soviet Union
Chris
Jan 23, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Side-splitting satire of Soviet life.
Vincent
Oct 26, 2012 Vincent rated it liked it
Some of these brief stories are quite good, though not everyone packs a punch. Still, it was nice to find this collection of tales by a writer famous in his lifetime and pretty much unknown by us here in the States.
Alina Stefanescu Coryell
A sharp and mind-numbing stroll into life in Soviet Russia, where the joys the the revolution seemed unappreciated by the happy workers waiting in 5 hours lines for their bread rations.
Angelique
Apr 27, 2011 Angelique rated it really liked it
I didn't like the translation - the guy seemed like a jerk. The stories were hilarious, some even laugh out loud funny. I think they would be much better pa rooskie.
Namrirru
Jul 12, 2007 Namrirru rated it it was amazing
Shelves: russian
Some of the short stories are the same as "Nervous People." I think this translation is funnier, but the other book has more content. Pick one or the other...
Linda
Sep 07, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
brilliant. I think when I read the other translation I made the mistake of reading them too quickly.
Purpletrees
Mar 26, 2013 Purpletrees rated it liked it
I don't think I understood all the references despite google. Parts were genuinely amusing.
Kelsey
Nov 15, 2008 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Fantastic Russian satire. I have actually laughed out loud because of this book!
Vincent Saint-Simon
Oct 14, 2007 Vincent Saint-Simon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: other translators
Sirs and Madams,

Good translation, but not the best.

II,

V
Andrew
Apr 19, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shortstories, russian
Just about the only Russian satire worth reading that I know of.
Su-Ching
Apr 12, 2014 Su-Ching rated it really liked it
Page after page of chuckles, absolutely brilliant.
César Carranza
Dec 12, 2015 César Carranza rated it it was amazing
Divertido como siempre!!!
Nicci Dawn
Nicci Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Tanvi
Tanvi marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ilya
Ilya rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Vakho Gaprindashvili
Vakho Gaprindashvili marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
M
M rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Annalise
Annalise marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Falon
Falon marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Hrbhrblaw.com.br
Hrbhrblaw.com.br marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Sean Wilson
Sean Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
  • The Petty Demon
  • An Empty Room
  • The Shooting Party
  • Today I Wrote Nothing: The Selected Writings
Mikhail Zoshchenko (Russian: Михаил Зощенко) was born in Poltava, Ukraine, on 29th July, 1895. He studied law at the University of Petersburg, but did not graduate.
During the First World War Zoshchenko served in the Russian Army. A supporter of the October Revolution, Zoshchenko joined the Red Army and fought against the Whites in the Civil War.
In 1922 Zoshchenko joined the literary group, the Ser
More about Mikhail Zoshchenko...