Blood Blade (Skinners, # 1)

Blood Blade (Skinners #1)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  632 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Welcome to the nightmare . . .

There is a world you don't know about, inhabited by supernatural creatures of darkness—vampires, werewolves, and all manner of savage, impossible beasts that live for terror and slaughter and blood. They are all around us but you cannot see them, for knowledge of their presence—so close and so hungry—would surely drive any ordinary human insan...more
Published January 27th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Blade

Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
An interesting book. For me, it read like the plot to an action movie where our naive and inexperienced hero comes face to face with things that go 'bump' in the night and is given a choice. It is very action oriented, and feels very masculine; I felt a little like I was watching "Blade III," actually. Slightly different take on vampires and werewolves. Actually, it took me a while to figure out the shapeshifting mythology of the story, as his teacher is prone to the typical 'I'll tell you what...more
Amber
Marcus Pelegrimas has created a darker, more bloody world of vampires and werewolves, and the people who try to keep them from preying on humanity. The actual supernatural creatures were handled with originality and creativity; he added some new elements to the vampire and werewolf mythology, taking stock creatures and making then seem new. Also interesting was the addition of bits of humor, through Cole's interactions with the MEG operator, Stu, and his flirtation with Paige.

While I liked the a...more
Jodotha
It took me a few more pages than usual to get into this novel - though I imagine, had I been male, this would not be the case. You see, the pace of this book didn't seem to really pick up for me until after the first hundred pages or so. It wasn't dull or anything - there were some very good action sequences, and more than enough mystery thrown in right away. No, the reason it took those hundred pages for me to really get into this novel was the simple fact that it took the story that long to in...more
Speciesamused
"Leave some alive" "the crazy man whispered.
I am a long time reader on this earth. I started out with King and Koontz and
have broadened my horizons with not so main stream as I find them much more of
delightful change.
We have some really great authors coming out lately and Mr Pelegrimas is one
of them. This book is certainly not getting the praise it deserves.
Blood Blade is packed with constant action and you will not want to put it down.
It is not like anything else I have read. Unique in its exc...more
Craig
This is a new series I stumbled upon. I enjoyed the read once the characters were developed enough. The last half of the book definitely flows better than the first half. I am looking forward to trying out the next book in the series due out anytime.
Tarl
Ok, I read a LOT in the paranormal genre. It's hard to surprise me with something new when it comes to werewolves and vampires especially. Then along comes Marcus, and WHAM! he does it. The vampires in this book impress me in how they work, and I love, LOVE the concept. The werewolves as well, and it's a breath of fresh air in a genre that relies on far too many tropes.

This book was a fun read. I would have rated it higher except for the brief times where the center of attention focused from one...more
Mike

This book is a textbook case of Our Monsters Are Different. Vampires are hosts to parasitic fungi, werewolves are either a completely different species or a sufferers of a retroviral infection from one of the members of the aforementioned species. Oh, yeah, the full-blooded werewolves don't leave a whole lot of survivors. How a skeleton crew of monster hunters can keep a lid on an army of multiple monsters is a mystery. (view spoiler)

Lily
This was a great romping supernatural adventure. I loved that this fellow is a full grown man, with a job and life and he gets thown into the darkside.

A skinner, much like a modern supernatural version of a 1800's trapper is all that is between normals and massacre. Coles journey to Skinner-hood is a wisecracking, yet humble adventure I am glad I took.

There are unique, yet familar supernatural beings from pole dancing Nymphs, to venom dripping vamps, and uniquely powerful and grusome weres.

Th...more
chucklesthescot
Cole is a bored computer game designer who decides to go on an adventure hunting holiday. He is not expecting to be a lucky survivor of an attack on the group by a supernatural beast. He is able to get help from a specialist agency who want to train him as a 'Skinner' to help fight the monsters.

I liked the darkness in this book, the action scenes were well written and the monsters were certainly new and interesting. The opening attack at the cabin was an excellent start, it was gripping and tens...more
James
I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading the rest of what promises to be a very good series. Having read a few average urban fantasy books lately, it came as a pleasant shock to read something that far outstripped the rest.

This book manages to somehow seem real in a world that shouldn't, whilst the characters are believable, fun and worthy of your attention. The plot itself, whilst not overly original and exciting, was brought to life so well by Mr. Pelegrimas that it didn't really matt...more
Cheryl
Cole is a video game developer who’s bored with his life and decides the best way to rejuvenate is to go to Canada and kill something. Fortunately for Bambi, but unfortunately for Cole and the others on the trip, things don’t go as planned and the group is attacked by a huge creature that Cole can’t even begin to identify. One of the men who’d tried to stop what he called a Full Blood, but is obviously dying, asks Cole to take some kind of a knife and a message to a woman named Paige. Feeling he...more
Michael Bates
For me personally, I just about enjoyed everything about this book. It was refreshing to see Vampires,Werewolves and shapeshifters with a twist. The same old vampire fangs drop and suck blood was taken and transformed into something much more in this series. Add the Full Bloods, Half-bloods, cross breeds and you have a whole new take on Vampire and Werewolves. Monsters I give a 5 stars on.
While I did enjoy Cole and Paige as characters, I really did not get into them until really the second boo...more
Anna Kopp
I really tried but it was just not working for me. I forced myself to get halfway through before closing it up for good. I honestly don't even see a point in skimming the rest or reading the last chapter. It just didn't compel me enough to care about what happens. Ok I finished it because I was bored, but my rating and review still stands. Lately I've been on an UF binge with Mercy and Kate and this was so incredibly boring in comparison. Sorry to say I won't be continuing with this series.
David Watson
Video game programmer Cole Warnecki while on vacation has an encounter with a large werewolf. He is saved by two members of the Skinners which is a group of people dedicated to protecting humans from supernatural creatures. After the battle, Cole is entrusted with a sword that has to be taken to the Skinner’s headquarters. When Cole reaches his destination, he learns that humans are not on top of the food chain and a war between werewolves and vampires is looming. It’s up to the Skinners to stop...more
Mordie
Let's start with the world. Way too dark for me. Humans are not on the top of the food-chain anymore. If anything they seemed to be kinda in the middle.

It was good at the beginning, but when started to explain the monsters and fighting against them it just seemed to go worse. I couldn't just believe it anymore. Skinners weren't some secret government project, which I would have believed. They were independent section who worked with MEG, who were ghost nerds. Yes, I can still believe that would...more
Siew Ee
This book is about a computer nerd who accidentally stumbles into a world of supernatural creatures. It's the usual stuff - blood, gore, steady stream of action. I like the nerd character - totally useless in fighting, but brave to the point of being stupid sometimes. But as like all main characters, he's pretty lucky so he stays alive. I was stuck to the book for the first few chapters, because I did not know what beastie was attacking the people, but once I realise what's in store, the excitem...more
Kati
People rate this book as average but I liked it a lot. I freely admit that the beginning of the book was more action-driven and creepier than its second half but it was nonetheless really cool. Pelegrimas has a great talent for description - the beasties were really scary, I mean really. The beginning read more like a horror than urban fantasy. Also, I really liked Cole. He was such a cool character, scared but determined to do the right thing, refusing to run and hide, a real unbreakable spirit...more
Jessica
I really enjoyed Marcus Pelegrimas spin on werewolves and vampires. It was refreshing to have a world where the supernatural are not all beautiful and peaceful creatures of the night waiting to seduce us humans.

The main character Cole, a video game designer, gets a crash coarse on being a Skinner after taking an extreme vacation. The world Cole creates for gamers like himself actually exist and he has to come to terms with going back to his comfortable life knowing humans are being killed or be...more
ms.beau
The best thing about this book was the cover. Both the MC's were flat and unbelievable. After chapter 15 or maybe 18, I skimmed through to the epilogue. Definitely will avoid the rest of this series.
Leigh
This was very up & down interest-wise for me. Started off well, then got bogged down, interesting, slow, then pretty good at the end. The author also seemed to switch between long periods of showing & telling, instead of having a balance of both. There are areas that are way too descriptive while other things that seem important are glossed over. The series premise has promise, so I might read book 2 at some point - but from the library. Gave this a try since it was an uber sale e-book....more
Louis
This was an enjoyable read for those who like this type of supernatural "beach read". The mythos was well-thought out, and the action scenes were intense and scary. I liked the theory of the Nymar and the werewolves. The idea of an underground network of Skinners fits nicely into conspiracy theory, although I was a little surprised by the lack of U.S. government involvement. The characters were interesting enough that future sequels would warrant a read.
Tonya
While I've developed a preference for female POV urban fantasy (Dresden Files being the notable exception) I decided to give the first two books in the series a go. The book started out slow, but I enjoyed that the main protagonist started out as a game designer who was totally oblivious to the supernatural world, made it easier to relate to him. While this is a good book, it's not outstanding and I wouldn't rush to get it. Though, I wouldn't say no to reading it.
Ashley
Supernatural the TV series in book form. Way different to my usual fantasy Rothfuss, Feist,Rachel Aaron type of literary fare. But it was excellent and extremely well written. Gritty. Far from realistic....but then the genre offers escapism not logic. After reading so much intrigue,magic,thievery and assassination in the Eli Monpress/Rothfuss/Monpress novels, I really wanted something a little more urbane. This was perfect. Sad the series had to end.
Cody
Read on my nook. I wish I'd read this book before I'd read Monster Hunter International, since they are very similar but MHI does everything much, much better. Still, this was an enjoyable enough read. It took me a long time to start caring about the characters, but by the end I was rooting for them. I have the second book in the series and will probably give it a shot eventually.
Joy
This series will appeal to RPG fans especially as the hero is a game developer turned monster hunter in real time. There's a great deal of detail given to weapons and hand to hand combat. It's well written but just not my type of fantasy. NO magic monsters just humans infected by parasites and evolutionary different beings. Probably enjoyed more by the Y chromosome crowd.
Tasula
A video game creator takes a vacation in a remote area of Canada and survives a deadly attack by a strange creature. He is rescued and recruited by an organization called Skinners- who train to fight shapeshifters and vampires. For me, the book was too focused on descriptions of fighting, although the plot was pretty good, and some of the concepts were interesting.
Nick McGreggor
This is dark, so it immediately scores points with me. What can I say? I’m easy.

Action. A shade-different take on the classic monsters (vamps, weres).

Action.

Yeah, and some action. Did I mention that?

Not the deepest story in the world, but it more than made up for any shortcomings on character, etc, with full-throttle excitement.
Carolyne
I enjoyed it enough. However, having been born and raised in the city of Chicago, it was pretty obvious the author knew nothing about the city he based his action around. It might be a supernatural fantasy book but I still need to believe it. It is what separates the Harry Dresdens and John Taylors from the rest.
Nikoya
3 1/2 This series has a lot of great premises and potential. The mythos for Vampires and Werewolves are very different, the battles are intense, the humor is appropriate and I like the characters. I hope the series stays on the same course and expands more about the Skinners; a glossary may have been nice to have.

Katie
Not really impressed. This is like Monster Hunter International's poor relation - a less competent and much more disgusting main character. Cole is pretty much lead around by his dick for half the book.
  • Blood Vice (Nightfall Syndicate #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Uprising (The Vampire Federation, #1)
  • Pennies for the Ferryman (Dead Eye #1)
  • Staked (Void City, #1)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1)
  • Afterlife (The Resurrection Chronicles, #1)
  • Bone Song (Tristopolis, #1)
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
Marcus Pelegrimas is the son of Sicilian immigrants who rose to power in the criminal underworld of the 1950’s. No wait…that was Michael Corleone.

Marcus Pelegrimas lives and works in Nebraska . Yes, he eats corn. No, he doesn’t live on a farm.

He graduated with a degree in Criminal Justice and currently lives in Omaha , Nebraska where he has worked in several different genres of fiction including w...more
More about Marcus Pelegrimas...
Howling Legion (Skinners, #2) Teeth of Beasts (Skinners, # 3) Vampire Uprising (Skinners, #4) The Breaking (Skinners, #5) Extinction Agenda (Skinners, #6)