New Orleans Beat

New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"ABSORBING...ENTERTAINING...Smith not only gives us the lowdown on the Big Easy but also take us into the often weird world of computer bulletin boards....NEW ORLEANS BEAT is reader-friendly from log-on to log-off."
--The Orlando Sentinel
An unclassified death on the coroner's daily record is nothing special: a healthy young man found dead after an apparent fall from a ladde...more
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published June 14th 1994)

P.M. Briede
Having now read three of the Skip Langdon series, this one was a little harder for me. There were a lot of characters involved in the case and sometimes I was confused on who was who. The storyline around Skip's personal life was frustrating and while not necessarily out of character it did disappoint me in her. That being said, the book was still solid, just not my favorite when compared to the others. The case was interesting and I was surprised by who was actually guilty.
Kyrie
This book was published in the early 90s, and the plot involves computers. It's amusing to read about the early internet, dial-ups and realize words like "lurker" needed explanation then. It's also about a love affair from the 1960s, which seems really long ago, now. Throw in the idea of a coven, which was kind of on the edge inthe early 90s, and the whole story takes on the air of a time warp. Still, it's a well written story with a ton of suspects, and lots of twists.
LJ
NEW ORLEANS BEAT - Poor
Smith, Julie - 4th in Skip Langdon series

Skip investigates the mysterious death of a computer genius who frequented the TOWN, a computer network of some 10,000 faceless voices. In this extraordinary community, strangers achieve an odd intimacy, sharing the darkest of secrets. Skip learns that the victim had confessed his own deep secret--and the TOWN believes it was murder.

Loved the setting but not the book. I just couldn't get into it.
Christy
I love reading New Orleans mysteries while in New Orleans!!!! This was a great and fast read and one I would recommend to anyone who likes to devour a quick mystery. It had a lot of computer orientation that was, of course, totally outdated at this point, but it was nice to see an author incorporate things akin to chat rooms in her story and then create a murder mystery out of it.
Susan
Smith's Skip Langdon mysteries are always fun to read. I had trouble keeping some of the characters straight in this one -- who is/was married to whom, who is a parent or sibling or just a friend -- but it all made sense in the end. And I love the Skip & DeeDee's budding family. And Steve ... ???
Dee
I bought this book at a library sale; thus, #4 in the series.
However, I wasn't impressed with the writing which dragged on and on.

Not a fan of an insecure protagonist. I would say that I could write a better mystery; but, that's not true!!!! haha
Vikki
This is a Skip Langdon novel. It is a mystery. I love books that takes place in New Orleans and Julie Smith does excellent New Orleans books. A computer nerd gets killed but who kills him? Read the book and find out!
Sarra
4th in the Skip Langdon New Orleans series. Not as strong as the previous novels, the author took a bit too much time developing the back story and characterizations that could have been better used on the actual mystery.
Carole
I love New Orleans and will gobble up anything I can read about it. Skip langdon happens to be one of the Good Reads I've devoured.
Good mystery. I read it when I went to visit New Orleans and it was fun recognizing the street names and places.
Emily
Good story and a cautionary tale about online communities.
Carol Hurtig
Skip is on the trail again, this time with witches!
Bob Safranek
Bob Safranek marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Lynne Smith
Lynne Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Beth Rea
Beth Rea marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Ellen Ashton
Ellen Ashton marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
  • Stray Kat Waltz
  • Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4)
  • City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet, #2)
  • Red, Green, or Murder
  • An Eye for Murder (Ellie Foreman, #1)
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Jackrabbit Junction Jitters (A Jackrabbit Junction Mystery #2)
  • A Witness Above (Frank Pavlicek Mysteries, #1)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson mystery series #1)
  • Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
  • Trial & Error
  • Burning Time (April Woo, #1)
  • The Magyar Venus (Lara McClintoch, #8)
  • Broken Ferns
  • Dying To Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)
Author of 20 mystery novels and a new YA paranormal adventure called CURSEBUSTERS!. Nine of the mysteries are about a female New Orleans cop Skip Langdon, five about a San Francisco lawyer named Rebecca Schwartz,two about a struggling mystery writer named Paul Mcdonald (whose fate no one should suffer) and four teaming up Talba Wallis, a private eye with many names, a poetic license, and a smoking...more
More about Julie Smith...
New Orleans Mourning The Axeman's Jazz Jazz Funeral House of Blues (Skip Langdon, #5) New Orleans Noir