Start by marking “New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon, #4)” as Want to Read:
New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon, #4)

New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon #4)

"ABSORBING...ENTERTAINING...Smith not only gives us the lowdown on the Big Easy but also take us into the often weird world of computer bulletin boards....NEW ORLEANS BEAT is reader-friendly from log-on to log-off."
--The Orlando Sentinel
An unclassified death on the coroner's daily record is nothing special: a healthy young man found dead after an apparent fall from a ladde
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published June 1994)

Gail
Nov 24, 2014 Gail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Confusing is what Julie Smith's novel Death Before Facebook was for me. I had trouble following the story and all the characters in it. I just can not recommend this book to anyone. I've never read a book by this author and most likely will not so again.
Nola Arganbright
Nov 12, 2014 Nola Arganbright rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Skip is a detective and is investigating a murder that is linked to a social media site. The victim has been posting at the site concerning memories he seems to be having regarding the night is father was killed.
I enjoy the books by Julie Smith. This is the first of this series that I have read but it will not be the last. It is a revised version of an earlier work by Ms. Smith. I thought the subject matter was very current given the surge of people sharing their lives through the Social Media
Anne
Nov 30, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
I must have read this before because I've read all of Julie Smith's New Orleans books. And I was a bit disappointed when I got this one and found it was a revised version of an earlier book. But I'm read it long enough ago that I enjoyed it all over again. As others have said, there are a lot of characters. But it wasn't hard to keep the main ones straight. And the plot flowed along quite nicely.

BBS's, and early Internet, was actually a bit more intimate than Facebook because everyone on it was
Alice Williams McGrath
Good read-a little complex

Maybe it was me, but the relationships were a little confusing to remember when I went a day or two with no time to read. Binge reading it would be great. Skip is the type one is pulling for and the New Orleans setting is spot on.
Cheryl Turner
Dec 29, 2014 Cheryl Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

I really enjoyed this. I have been reading these series in chronological order. It's like watching a good movie. I would like to see if skip gets back with Steve in the next series.
Lorraine Overturf
Yuck

I found this book to be a chore to read. I hNnNad trouble keeping the characters straight. Not my cup of tea.
Iris Smale
Dec 09, 2014 Iris Smale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-read
Did not read. Language was foul in the first couple of pages. Don't think much of an author that can't write without that.
tomlinton
Difficult to keep the characters straight

Enough story to keep reading
but barely that
You may want to quit early
but good luck finding the finale
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2017 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The worst written I've ever seen from this author. Disappointed me because I really expected better--often tend towards thriller but always pretty clean writing and consistent. The inconsistencies here really bugged me. 2.5 star. Being generous because I suspect disappointment is big piece of urge to give lower. Author says this is partial rewrite from original published version. I suspect it wasn't cleaned and edited properly after rewrite and inconsistencies stem from missed bits when reworkin ...more
Bob
Feb 10, 2017 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skip Langdon is involved in the mysterious death (accident or Murder?) of a father reclusive young man who "lived" on the internet in various groups. Besides dealing with the case Skip is trying to deal with her California friend and a mutual seeming ambivalence about their future. More twisted New Orleans families and relationships keep her trying to get a solution to the case.
Louise Pass
May 26, 2017 Louise Pass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skip really grows on you.

Fitting in, or not, is something we all question. Who we are and how we fit in matters. And as a part of a mystery and a complex life, Skip's story just gets better and better.
Patty
This book was entertaining, but dated. It is a good thing that Smith changed the title.
Marisa
Mar 17, 2017 Marisa marked it as apuntados  ·  review of another edition
Casceil
This book was published originally in 1994 under another title. The book is a creature of its time, and the discussion of the internet and social media is more historical than current. Allowing for that, I still enjoyed the book.
Scot
Nov 25, 2014 Scot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this mystery by its setting (New Orleans) and its provocative title. It was interesting as a bit of a period piece: set in 1994, we are in a world that still used floppy disks, and where interacting via online bulletin board communities was perceived as a fascinating and intriguing new experience. A shy and lonely misfit, an adult who lives with his parents and escapes into such an online community called the TOWN, appears to have died accidently while rescuing his cat. Policewoma ...more
James
Feb 06, 2015 James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: police-mystery
I read the first Skip Langdon novel, "Jazz Funeral," and didn't like it very much but decided to give the series one more chance. This one was no better so I'm done now. The plot and the bizarre relationships of the players were very difficult to follow. The background descriptive details of the story were overdone and boring. If you decide to read this book, keep a list of who is who, who they've been married to, and with whom they are currently sleeping. Otherwise, you're going to get confused ...more
Patricia
Apr 26, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-american
Homicide detective Skip Langdon (New Orleans Police Department) is a respected officer but she is a bit of a loner and she has personal issues mainly about her long-distant relationship and self-esteem. She is too tall, not a sharp dresser, and often feels that she doesn't "fit in" with her colleagues. She's not the only woman with problems and her current case brings her in contact with several very needy women. Can she solve the murder and put her life in order?

There is some humor as she tries
Marty
Oct 30, 2015 Marty rated it liked it
I chose this book because it was set in New Orleans. – But New Orleans doesn’t really figure in the story much at all. Same story could have been told about any place in the US. – Skip Langdon (female) is a homicide detective in the NO police department. The death of a 32 year old computer whiz (but socially insecure) young man was thought to be an accident, but Skip realized that it was no accident but a murder. In investigating the crime, she finds links to a more than 25 year-old cold case in ...more
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I've finally started to give up with books that just aren't for me. I haven't got time to waste reading books that I just cant get on with.

I got to about 9% before packing this in. The premise seemed great and although the title here confuses me a little (the book I was reading was called Death Before Facebook which makes more sense), it failed to deliver.

Glad I didn't come across many spelling or grammatical errors but the story is just far too slow for me and I can't get into it at all. Believ
Sandra Strange
The main reason I didn't like this novel was its overall bleak and tired feeling. I kind of liked the protagonist, a policewoman with history in New Orleans, but I didn't like the author's manipulating her into dropping her long distance boyfriend and his kind of contradictory reactions to her. The mystery was ok, but it was hard to sympathize or identify with anyone in it. Also, the author added a bit of explicit sensuality where it wasn't needed. The book also includes lots of objectionable la ...more
P.M. Briede
Having now read three of the Skip Langdon series, this one was a little harder for me. There were a lot of characters involved in the case and sometimes I was confused on who was who. The storyline around Skip's personal life was frustrating and while not necessarily out of character it did disappoint me in her. That being said, the book was still solid, just not my favorite when compared to the others. The case was interesting and I was surprised by who was actually guilty.
LJ
NEW ORLEANS BEAT - Poor
Smith, Julie - 4th in Skip Langdon series

Skip investigates the mysterious death of a computer genius who frequented the TOWN, a computer network of some 10,000 faceless voices. In this extraordinary community, strangers achieve an odd intimacy, sharing the darkest of secrets. Skip learns that the victim had confessed his own deep secret--and the TOWN believes it was murder.

Loved the setting but not the book. I just couldn't get into it.
Kyrie
May 12, 2011 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was published in the early 90s, and the plot involves computers. It's amusing to read about the early internet, dial-ups and realize words like "lurker" needed explanation then. It's also about a love affair from the 1960s, which seems really long ago, now. Throw in the idea of a coven, which was kind of on the edge inthe early 90s, and the whole story takes on the air of a time warp. Still, it's a well written story with a ton of suspects, and lots of twists.
Christy
May 10, 2009 Christy rated it liked it
I love reading New Orleans mysteries while in New Orleans!!!! This was a great and fast read and one I would recommend to anyone who likes to devour a quick mystery. It had a lot of computer orientation that was, of course, totally outdated at this point, but it was nice to see an author incorporate things akin to chat rooms in her story and then create a murder mystery out of it.
Nancy
May 19, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Julie Smith's style and I love books set in New Orleans, but sometimes I find Skip Langdon a little hard to take. Oh well, her personality quirks make for entertaining reading.

This story had so many characters that I had some trouble keeping track of what was going on, but it was an entertaining read.
E.
Nov 07, 2014 E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's complicated ... but good

This, as with many of her books, is complicated. Sometimes it is difficult to keep the characters straight. But it is worth the effort. The Skip Langdon books are stand alone books and so they can be read in any order but you get more enjoyment from them if you read them in order. I am enjoying getting to know these people.
Trisha Doucet
I read the Skip Langdon series a while back and decided to reread it over the last few months. I'm a Skip Langdon fan, but sometimes I have a hard time withe timing of the stories. And maybe it's because I'm reading on a Kindle, but I feel like I don't clearly see the timing break. The fast-forward button is obvious for me.
Thad Allen
Nov 05, 2015 Thad Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. It may be because I have belonged to some groups on internet friends that were before Facebook and have maintained friendships with many of them on Facebook.

I had started reading one of her books before and for some reason did not get into it. After reading this one I will go back and read more in this series. I really like the New Orleans setting.
Joan
Feb 28, 2015 Joan rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Death before Facebook was almost a total loss for me. I persevered through almost half of it. It is unusual for a writer who has such excellent command of the language (good sentence structure, educated and effective vocabulary, etc.) to fail so miserably at structure. The plot was difficult to follow, the characters were vaguely drawn, and the story was simply boring.
Richda Mcnutt
I don't like to do negative reviews, but I found this to be a very irritating book - you need a flow chart to keep the characters straight, and the plot was unnecessarily complicated. This was an early book in Julie Smith's writing career, and based on her current popularity, I can only hope that she's developed a crisper writing style.
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)
  • New Orleans Requiem
  • Judging Time (April Woo, #4)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson, #5)
  • Trick Question (Tubby Dubonnet, #3)
  • Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children: . . . and Other Streets of New Orleans!
  • Introducing Aunt Dimity, Paranormal Detective: The First Two Books in the Beloved Series
  • Stolen in Paradise (Lei Crime #4.5)
Author of 20 mystery novels and a YA paranormal adventure called BAD GIRL SCHOOL (formerly CURSEBUSTERS!). Nine of the mysteries are about a female New Orleans cop Skip Langdon, five about a San Francisco lawyer named Rebecca Schwartz,two about a struggling mystery writer named Paul Mcdonald (whose fate no one should suffer) and four teaming up Talba Wallis, a private eye with many names, a poetic ...more
More about Julie Smith...

Skip Langdon (10 books)
  • New Orleans Mourning (Skip Langdon, #1)
  • Axeman's Jazz (Skip Langdon, #2)
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • House of Blues (Skip Langdon, #5)
  • The Kindness of Strangers (Skip Langdon, #6)
  • Crescent City Kill (Skip Langdon, #7)
  • 82 Desire (Skip Langdon, #8)
  • Mean Woman Blues (Skip Langdon, #9)
  • Meet Skip Langdon: Two Mystery Short Stories: Always Othello and The End Of The Earth

“I’m a shrink, girlfriend. How could I be crazy?” 0 likes