Start by marking “New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon, #4)” as Want to Read:
New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon, #4)

New Orleans Beat (Skip Langdon #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"ABSORBING...ENTERTAINING...Smith not only gives us the lowdown on the Big Easy but also take us into the often weird world of computer bulletin boards....NEW ORLEANS BEAT is reader-friendly from log-on to log-off."
--The Orlando Sentinel
An unclassified death on the coroner's daily record is nothing special: a healthy young man found dead after an apparent fall from a ladde
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published June 14th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about New Orleans Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Orleans Beat

tomlinton
Difficult to keep the characters straight

Enough story to keep reading
but barely that
You may want to quit early
but good luck finding the finale
Nola Arganbright
Skip is a detective and is investigating a murder that is linked to a social media site. The victim has been posting at the site concerning memories he seems to be having regarding the night is father was killed.
I enjoy the books by Julie Smith. This is the first of this series that I have read but it will not be the last. It is a revised version of an earlier work by Ms. Smith. I thought the subject matter was very current given the surge of people sharing their lives through the Social Media
P.M. Briede
Having now read three of the Skip Langdon series, this one was a little harder for me. There were a lot of characters involved in the case and sometimes I was confused on who was who. The storyline around Skip's personal life was frustrating and while not necessarily out of character it did disappoint me in her. That being said, the book was still solid, just not my favorite when compared to the others. The case was interesting and I was surprised by who was actually guilty.
Dwynn Criss
Easy, fun read

l liked this because it was fairly light. Also, any excuse to read about New Orleans. There were a couple of plot points that took me out of the story, but WC Fields warned us about kids and animals! Will probably try another in the series; Skip is okay.
Craig Melancon
I am really enjoying this series, I have to get the next one in the series.
Julie Smith really captures New Orleans and the Internet before Facebook. I remember those days of BBS!
Kyrie
This book was published in the early 90s, and the plot involves computers. It's amusing to read about the early internet, dial-ups and realize words like "lurker" needed explanation then. It's also about a love affair from the 1960s, which seems really long ago, now. Throw in the idea of a coven, which was kind of on the edge inthe early 90s, and the whole story takes on the air of a time warp. Still, it's a well written story with a ton of suspects, and lots of twists.
Carol Schmidt
Fun in New Orleans

A well written mystery novel set in New Orleans. Enjoyable. Brings the atmosphere of NO to life. #4 of the series.
LJ
NEW ORLEANS BEAT - Poor
Smith, Julie - 4th in Skip Langdon series

Skip investigates the mysterious death of a computer genius who frequented the TOWN, a computer network of some 10,000 faceless voices. In this extraordinary community, strangers achieve an odd intimacy, sharing the darkest of secrets. Skip learns that the victim had confessed his own deep secret--and the TOWN believes it was murder.

Loved the setting but not the book. I just couldn't get into it.
Christy
I love reading New Orleans mysteries while in New Orleans!!!! This was a great and fast read and one I would recommend to anyone who likes to devour a quick mystery. It had a lot of computer orientation that was, of course, totally outdated at this point, but it was nice to see an author incorporate things akin to chat rooms in her story and then create a murder mystery out of it.
Susan
Smith's Skip Langdon mysteries are always fun to read. I had trouble keeping some of the characters straight in this one -- who is/was married to whom, who is a parent or sibling or just a friend -- but it all made sense in the end. And I love the Skip & DeeDee's budding family. And Steve ... ???
Dee
I bought this book at a library sale; thus, #4 in the series.
However, I wasn't impressed with the writing which dragged on and on.

Not a fan of an insecure protagonist. I would say that I could write a better mystery; but, that's not true!!!! haha
Vikki
This is a Skip Langdon novel. It is a mystery. I love books that takes place in New Orleans and Julie Smith does excellent New Orleans books. A computer nerd gets killed but who kills him? Read the book and find out!
Sarra
4th in the Skip Langdon New Orleans series. Not as strong as the previous novels, the author took a bit too much time developing the back story and characterizations that could have been better used on the actual mystery.
Carole
I love New Orleans and will gobble up anything I can read about it. Skip langdon happens to be one of the Good Reads I've devoured.
Good mystery. I read it when I went to visit New Orleans and it was fun recognizing the street names and places.
Emily
Good story and a cautionary tale about online communities.
Carol Hurtig
Skip is on the trail again, this time with witches!
Scot
Scot is currently reading it
Carole Hurlbut
Carole Hurlbut marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy added it
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Erin Malone
Erin Malone marked it as to-read
Tina Rademaker
Tina Rademaker marked it as to-read
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Gail
Gail is currently reading it
Pippi Jones
Pippi Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)
  • Crooked Man
  • Stealing Time (April Woo, #5)
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Introducing Aunt Dimity, Paranormal Detective: The First Two Books in the Beloved Series
  • Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)
  • Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children: . . . and Other Streets of New Orleans!
Author of 20 mystery novels and a YA paranormal adventure called BAD GIRL SCHOOL (formerly CURSEBUSTERS!). Nine of the mysteries are about a female New Orleans cop Skip Langdon, five about a San Francisco lawyer named Rebecca Schwartz,two about a struggling mystery writer named Paul Mcdonald (whose fate no one should suffer) and four teaming up Talba Wallis, a private eye with many names, a poetic ...more
More about Julie Smith...
New Orleans Mourning (Skip Langdon, #1) The Axeman's Jazz (Skip Langdon, #2) Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3) House of Blues (Skip Langdon, #5) New Orleans Noir

“I’m a shrink, girlfriend. How could I be crazy?” 0 likes
“Testosterone is the world’s most dangerous drug. Get one molecule on you and you’re helpless.” 0 likes