Start by marking “The Portuguese: The Land And Its People” as Want to Read:
The Portuguese: The Land And Its People

The Portuguese: The Land And Its People

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Superficially familiar but still little-known, Portugal is undergoing a vibrant social and political transformation as it grows into a full-fledged, modern European state. Combining history, geography, cultural study, and travelogue, this engaging look at Portugal is a fascinating introduction to its rich, turbulent history and people. This newly revised edition contains p
Published (first published January 2nd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Portuguese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portuguese

Kevin de Ataíde
Large book, fine print, quite detailed. I find the historical part of it, approximately the first third, the most interesting. The book certainly feels like a comprehensive survey of modern Portugal by one who has lived there for a long time. However, it still feels like an outsider's perspective (although that may be deliberate) and I would dearly like to see an English-speaking Portuguese write a book of this sort. The target audience seems to be non-Portuguese. The political section is again ...more
Mary
This book was given to me as we prepare for a trip to Portugal. The author is very knowledgeable and cares greatly for the subject. The style however left me confused too many times to be thoroughly enjoyable. From beginning the book with a chapter on how other countries influenced Portugal's culture, to the non-linear jumps through history, I found myself struggling to understand what she wanted me to know.
Carol Harrison
This book tried to do too much (or rather its author did). Covering the entire history of Portugal as well as commenting on its social structure, the arts, economics, etc. in one book is overwhelming, and many paragraphs consisted basically of lists of facts, loosely related but not too meaningful to the non-Portuguese reader. Interesting, but like a netful of various fish, not of much use.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Maureensgmail.com
Maureensgmail.com marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Anca Zinculescu
Anca Zinculescu marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Jsb
Jsb is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2009
Psychology of Adjustment Calvinists and Libertines: Confession and Community in Utrecht 1578-1620 Human Odyssey: Life Span Development Alimentazione senza glutine e latticini J'arrête la malbouffe !: 21 jours pour changer (J'arrête de...)