Start by marking “Here We All Are (A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Here We All Are

Tomie dePaola
Preview

Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This title has been removed from sale by Penguin Group, USA.
Published 2001 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published April 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Here We All Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here We All Are

Luann
This is Tomie dePaola's second "26 Fairmount Avenue" book, his autobiographical series about his childhood. I loved the first one, 26 Fairmount Avenue, and read it to all of my library classes last year. Since then, I've always planned to read more of the series. I found this second book in the series to be just as readable and fun as the first. While I'm reading, I feel like Tomie dePaola is right there in the room with me telling me stories of his childhood. In this one, we learn about his exp ...more
We just started reading this aloud last night, and it is really enjoyable! It was a prize from the library's summer reading program! I have been searching for the next stage of good-quality read alouds, but they're either too easy or too hard. This one seems just right! I will keep searching for more at about this reading level ...

Update: Sept. 7—We just finished this read-aloud today. It was just the right level for my 5 and 6 year old girls. They really liked it, and it kept my interest, too.
Doreen
Another great book! NEW furniture for the NEW house...all very exciting! And, a NEW baby, too! Is it another brother or a baby sister, who Tomie prays for? Read it and enjoy the anticipation, right along with Tomie.

The talkative, precocious Tomie is fun to join in kindergarten. Painting, naptime, Valentine's Day....all is remembered through Tomie's colorful talent for storytelling. I love that his stories always make me feel nostalgic...warm and fuzzy!!!
Patricia
This is the second book in the 26 Fairmount Avenue series. Tomie and his family move into their new house; he continues to go to Kindergarten (where he gets in trouble for singing softly during naptime) and tap dancing lessons; he's in his first play, "Peter Rabbit," where he gets in trouble for stealing the show; and he makes the school's Valentine's box. He also helps his mother prepare the nursery for the new baby that he hopes is a little sister. He clashes with Nana Fall-River who takes car ...more
Connie
This autobiography is the second for Tomie. (I feel like I know him personally. :))
Josiah
Oh, I absolutely love this book! The charm of Tomie dePaola's writing is almost beyond measure. I just love that five-year-old Tomie as if he were my own brother, and enjoy to the utmost reading about the adventures he experienced as a small child in the late 1930s.

Tomie is a completely believable and utterly winsome young boy, bolstered by a wonderfully varied family who all care about him and show that care in their own unique ways. I think that what really gives Tomie the freedom to be as u
Dolly
This is an interesting memoir of Tomie dePaola's childhood and the first few months in his new house. Overall, it's an interesting story and it's not too long. Our girls like the books in this series (26 Fairmount Avenue), but they certainly aren't their favorites. I think they much prefer Mr. dePaola's picture books. Still, I think this offers an interesting perspective of life in the late 1930s in the United States and his experiences growing up.

We enjoyed reading this book together and learn
Amy
My oldest read this and enjoyed it! We didn't realize it was #2 in the series, but it explained enough of the previous situations. This was an easy read for her...but we love dePaola's illustrations and gravitate toward his titles. :)
Joshua
This was another fun chapter book about the early life of Tomie dePaola. My daughter was especially interested in Tomie's wish for a baby sister with a red ribbon in her hair. It also covered Tomie's being a bit of an individual in kindergarten, and a teacher that wanted him to conform. Overall, a great read-aloud. We'll be getting the next one in the series.
Jennifer Gilstrap
I liked this book. It's all about new beginnings. Tomie and his family move into their very first house and it's very nice. Tomie finds out that he will also be a big brother soon. He hopes a dn prays for a baby sister, but mom keeps telling him, " We have to wait and see." Very cute book told through the eyes of a 5 year old boy.
Joy
After I read 26 Fairmont Avenue while student teaching, I was told it was a whole series. It has taken me until now to read the other books. The de Paola's have finally moved into their new home. A new baby is on the way and Tomie has dramas in kindergarten.
Deirdre
See my review for 26 Fairmount Avenue. This one continues just as good!
Tanja
This heart-warming and entertaining autobiographical account narrates moments of Tomie DePaola’s childhood. I loved getting a glimpse of his intriguing Italian-Irish-American family life.
Corinne
Sep 19, 2008 Corinne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd-4th graders
Cute story based on author's own childhood. Tells of his wish for a sister, his conflict with his teacher and with his grandmother and how those both get resolved.
Emilia P
A new house! A new baby! A grouchy grandma who turns out to be pretty a-ok in the end. I didn't realize there were 8 of these books. I've got my work cut out for me.
Christina
Cute, engaging series of very quick reads. Also gives a nice glimpse into another era.
Angie Bates
I must admit I never got into his picture books, but I really like this series.
Amy
Simple, a bit funny, a bit sad - quite enjoyable.
Susan P
#2 in the series.
PWRL
Mar 22, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Voice That Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights
  • Henry and Mudge in the Family Trees (Henry and Mudge, #15)
  • The Mouse of Amherst: A Tale of Young Readers
  • The Scar
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Nate the Great Goes Down in the Dumps
  • Marie Curie
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
  • Here I Am
  • If You're So Smart, How Come You Can't Spell Mississippi?
  • Wishes, Kisses, and Pigs
  • Canterbury Tales
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

26 Fairmount Avenue (8 books)
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • For the Duration: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #8)
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs