Start by marking “Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook

Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,156 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
"Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook" is your definitive cookbook for vegetarians with more than six hundred delicious recipes, including vegetarian classics, meatless variations of American favorites, international dishes, healthful desserts, and more--plus, tips on cooking techniques, types of vegetarian diets, and health concerns.
Published September 27th 1995 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook

Doug Matthews
May 12, 2013 Doug Matthews rated it it was amazing
This is a great vegetarian cookbook. For my first 7-8 years as a vegetarian we read Veg Times magazine every month and cooked its recommended recipes regularly. It was great when the book came out!
Ginger Heskett
Jan 12, 2017 Ginger Heskett marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sally Pomeroy
Mar 12, 2011 Sally Pomeroy rated it did not like it
Urgg. I'm giving up on this one after only five recipes, even though I shopped for twelve. There were just too many problems with the recipes - even the good ones needed modification.
I had a party to go to so I started out with an appetizer, Bermuda Onion Toasts. A slice of toasted baguette is topped with onions cooked in red wine with sage and thyme. It sounded unusual but appetizing, and i was cooking for a fairly sophisticated crowd. The recipe made way too much onion mixture, which was also
Virginia Campbell
Jul 14, 2009 Virginia Campbell rated it it was amazing
"Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook", by Lucy Moll and Vegetarian Times, is a taste-filled tutorial feting the vegetarian lifestyle and offering a veritable veggie feast of over 600 recipes. It certainly lives up to being called "complete", fully explaining the various types of vegetarian eating, and also including invaluable health and nutrition information. The guide to stocking your pantry with staples and the menu planning suggestions are very helpful, especially if you are new to the vegeta ...more
Dixie Diamond
Sep 01, 2008 Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: starter vegetarians, real-world cooks
Shelves: cookbooks, my_books
I stumbled across this for $6 at Half-Price Books and consider it to have been a bargain.

I like that this is such a basic, "boring", cookbook. It was written before exotic ingredients in vegetarian dishes got to be so fashionable, so almost everything in it is made from normal things that you can find at normal grocery stores. Seitan, shiitake mushrooms, and a few other things seem to be about the extent of the "offbeat-ness" of ingredients. I understand that a lot of people are looking for some
Julia
Aug 10, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Includes a decent overview of the various reasons to eat vegetarian, including good articles about health and disease prevention and environmental concerns. Information on nutrition is up to date (disspells the protein combining myth)but not necessarily complete or accurate on all counts (if you are concerned about gluten in the diet do not rely on this book for accurate information or recipes). Recipes are varied and designed to apply to a wide variety of tastes and to tempt the cook with decad ...more
Stacy
Nov 18, 2010 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Eh, this one is worth checking out at the library. My complaints:

1) Not enough pictures. I appreciate visuals when it comes to food I'm going to spend time and money preparing - I want to see a vision of the goal!

2) Typos! Several recipes had typos that left me scratching my head and rendered the recipe incomplete.

3) Too much reliance on "meat substitutes", which many omnivores don't care for. I guess if you're a vegetarian or vegan, tofu, seitan, tempeh and fake meat might be your staples. But
Lindsay
Apr 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: new vegetarians
This cookbook is indeed what it's title suggests-complete....completely boring as well. There are a ton of vegetarian recipes here, but there's nothing new or exciting. If you need some basic recipes, this is a good cookbook for you, but if you like to live on the edge a little, splurge for Veganomicon.

The beginning of this book contains a couple of chapters going into the reasons to be vegetarian and the types of vegetarians out there. I kept thumbing through the pages, trying to get to the par
Jun 28, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves food :)
Recommended to Sarah by: Darcy Imas Allen
This particular copy I obtained from my mother. There is another copy on my shelf I need to return to a friend of mine who was gracious to lend it to me (well over 2 years ago). I like to read through it, figure out if I have any of the ingredients to some of the recipes. If not, I'll find substitutes online or test it out on my boyfriend for dinner. This book did help me start off my vegetarian lifestyle and enhance my palate. I will never 'finish' this book because I don't believe cookbooks ca ...more
Andrea
Mar 03, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite veggie cookbook! Great diversity in recipes both ethnically and from a skill set level. There are awesome chapters about cooking both legumes and rice, giving cooking and soak times along with tips. All of the recipes have the calorie, protein, fat, carbs, etc. listed along with very honest serving amounts. Also most recipes have a "what to serve with or after" note in the description to help complete the meal, when you've never tried the dish. My Favorite? Lentil Burgers!!!
Katie Kenig
Feb 10, 2008 Katie Kenig rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
While I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat very much meat (and have "vegetarian days" so to speak). I have a hard time on those days feeling like I'm "eating right" by getting enough vegetable protein and the proper balance of nutrients. This book is excellent for non-vegetarians dipping their toes into the no-meat pool. The recipes are accessible, easy to prepare, and so good they make you forget you're eating vegetarian.
Liz
Jun 06, 2008 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I love getting Vegetarian Times magazines. They have great recipes that are usually seasonal and almost always interesting. That said, I haven't been overly impressed with this cook book. It could have used much better editing. I think I'd be better off relying on the Vegetarian Times Web site, which has a super recipe database.
Amie
Apr 10, 2013 Amie rated it liked it
Mostly use only a few recipes from this cookbook: Couscous pilaf with sun-dried tomatoes, tabouli, fettuccine alfredo, asparagus risotto with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, mushroom and wild-rice. I mostly use it for brainstorming and then find other versions of the recipes elsewhere.
Nancy
Jan 29, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG and Om Nom Nom!!! I may eat this book!!! Everything looks yummy!!!! Need to buy out the grocery store and get to cooking.

I'm going to have to buy this one.

Only downside - not enough pictures. Cookbooks must have pictures. Lots of them.
Katie
Aug 23, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Solid, useful information and promotion of a vegetarian lifestyle. Helpful recipes. I am not a vegetarian but do like to eat a balanced diet with emphasis on a variety of delicious, healthy foods and this is a good resource.
Sheila
Sep 04, 2007 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This has been a good starter for us as a family as my husband went vegetarian. There are some awesome black bean cakes in here with mango salsa! Even the kids liked them. I owned it many years before he made the leap but use it much more now!!
Jan 21, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, for-grown-ups
I really love the Vegetarian Times magazines and have found them to be excellent resources. As a result, this cookbook was sort of a let down. A lot of the recipes I have seen before. Additionally, I appreciate cookbooks that have pictures, and this book was severely lacking.
Christine
Jul 13, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Just pulled it out of storage. This is the book you need to read for advice on eating right as a vegetarian.
Margaret
Dec 28, 2007 Margaret rated it really liked it
My "go to" book when I cook for my veggie friends. Good recipes include Good Shepherds Pie and the Lasagne.
Sandra
Aug 30, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of mango recipes found within the pages.
A few pictures and a great index.
Feb 01, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Simple ingredients, straight forward recipes... an idiots guide (which is perfect for this meal-in-a-box-cook). Not necessarily the most creative of cookbooks, but a good basic.
Plant Hero
Nov 17, 2013 Plant Hero rated it it was amazing
Cover to cover defies words to say how much I enjoyed reading and even more the recipes. The nutritional breakdowns of the choices entered are right-on.
Carrie
Jan 04, 2015 Carrie rated it it was ok
I tried 6 of the recipes from this book. They all seemed to be lacking in either seasoning or texture.
Steve
Aug 02, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I saw this book on my Aunt's shelve of cookbooks when she went vegetarian, and got it myself. I cook a version of the potato medley about once a week. There are other amazing recipes too.
LemontreeLime
A very nice cookbook, sort of a 'joy of cooking' for vegetarians. But not one id use on a regular basis.
Andra
Feb 15, 2011 Andra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
The veggie-centric recipes sound excellent. Wish there were more pictures. Can't wait to try the baked egg rolls!
Cassie Jones
Cassie Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
Nancy Ann
Nancy Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Sheri Anderson
Sheri Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Rita
Rita rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Book of Tofu
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook: Delicious Recipes to Help Lower Your Cholesterol
  • Almost Vegetarian: A Primer for Cooks Who Are Eating Vegetarian Most of the Time, Chicken & Fish Some of the Time, & Altogether Well All of the Time
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • Real Vegetarian Thai
  • The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • This Can't Be Tofu!: 75 Recipes to Cook Something You Never Thought You Would--and Love Every Bite
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Horn of the Moon Cookbook: Recipes from Vermont's Renowned Vegetarian Restaurant
  • Recipes for a Small Planet
  • Refresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes from the Award-Winning Fresh Restaurants
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
Vegetarian Times is a monthly magazine published nine times a year (three double issues) by Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. The magazine's audience consists of vegetarians and "flexitarians" who are focused on a healthy lifestyle. Vegetarian Times promotes an eco-friendly lifestyle with recipes, wellness information, cooking techniques, and information on "green" products. Half of the readership do not ...more
More about Vegetarian Times...