Start by marking “Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)” as Want to Read:
Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)

Bones (Alex Delaware #23)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  8,239 Ratings  ·  473 Reviews
When it comes to writing deftly layered, tightly coiled novels of suspense, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman reigns supreme as “master of the psychological thriller” (People). Now, Kellerman has worked his magic again in this chilling new masterpiece.

Published October 21st 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bones, please sign up.

Julie
Dec 02, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
Meh. Honestly, the last three I've read have been fairly bland. Not that the murder mystery isn't salacious (it is) and nasty (ditto) but the characters have stalled out. Milo is Milo, Alex is Alex, Robin is an afterthought, we get a bit more of Dr. Rick but honestly, who cares? There's a new character, a rookie cop, named Moe. I found him the most interesting.

I'm tired of how all of Kellerman's killers are real sickos. (I know, I know -- aren't murderers, by definition, mentally unbalanced? Yes
Brenda
Dec 28, 2008 Brenda rated it liked it
It seems like Jonathan Kellerman is getting more graphic, unnecessarily. I thought there was less psychology. I gave up the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell years ago for the same reason.
Mary JL
Nov 26, 2008 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any adult mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
I have read and enjoyed most of the "Alex Delaware" series. Alex and his good friend, Milo Sturgis, are like old friends to me. I like the interaction between the two; I like the many twists and turns in the plots and I like Kellerman's brand of psychological suspense.

The body of a young strangled woman is found in a nature preserve. Her right hand has been cut off. Joined by a rookie Detective---Moe Reed--Alex and Milo begin a search of the scene---and discovere three more corpses buried in the
Mars
Jan 06, 2015 Mars rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il protagonista di Ossa e di tutti gli altri libri della serie – perchè sì, è una serie – è Alex Delaware, uno psicologo che lavora come consulente della polizia di Los Angeles affiancando nelle indagini il tenente Milo Sturgis.
Vi innamorerete di questi due perchè insieme sono divertentissimi, specialmente il tenente Sturgis, anche se il mio preferito è proprio Alex.
Studiando psicologia, normalmente, sono molto critica verso la figura degli psicologi nei romanzi, li trovo spesso terribilmente s
Nancy
Aug 31, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it
A new detective is introduced, Moe Reed, and he is a welcome addition to the tired duo of Alex & Milo. The anthropologist doctor investigating the crime scene in the marsh was another welcome addition, for it affixed interesting detail to an otherwise bland book. Kellerman used to write psychological thrillers, but they seem now to be cop buddy books, with Alex seeming like an honorary detective instead of a psychologist.
Judith
Jul 23, 2013 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Alex Delaware-Milo Sturgis novels from time to time. At times Delaware’s personal life is as much of the story as is the mystery. Other times it takes a decided back seat. This one is of the latter type. We get to check in with Robin, Delaware’s gf, from time to time, but it’s peripheral. The emphasis is on Alex’s involvement in a multiple-murder case.

The case starts with an anonymous phone call saying there is a body in the marsh. Eventually that body is found and dogs find addition
Suzanne
Mar 02, 2017 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I gave "Bones" 4 stars because of the interplay of Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware, which was strong in this book. It also introduced Moses "Mo" Reed and his part in the story was more significant than his other roles. I felt the actual murder plot was lukewarm.
M.E.
Jan 16, 2012 M.E. rated it liked it
My full review can be found on my blog: http://decemberjoy.wordpress.com/2012...

It is hard for me to buy books from authors I do not know or am unfamiliar with; mostly if the author was not recommended to me by someone I know and who would have an idea of what kind of books I like. However, sometimes I do take that chance and this was one of those times. Part of the reason was the price…this book was only $2 and if I really hated the book, well, at least I wouldn’t have to beat myself up about p
Deborah
Nov 10, 2008 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
It was slow going and a tad bit boring. I could not wait to finish it. I expected more excitement and more explanations in the story line.

This book was just ok for me. I understand his previous writings are much better which is good to know because after reading this one I might now have picked up another one of his books
Jackie W.
Jun 16, 2011 Jackie W. rated it liked it
It was okay. I feel like I used to be more surprised by the endings of these books. Either I'm older so I'm able to see it coming or the last two haven't been as suspenseful as older ones. Still enjoyable though.
Jan Beaton
Nov 14, 2016 Jan Beaton rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I 've read this book. I bought it in hard cover when it first came out. I don't believe Goodreads was even invented, at any rate, I probably wouldn't have even considered writing a review at the time,I read for the enjoyment and pleasure of reading. Mr. Kellerman's books have always held an interest for me, from the first to his most recent. This one was just as good, or maybe even better the second time around. I found that I learned different things this time. I believe ...more
Sim
Feb 21, 2017 Sim rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book tremendously. It kept me interested and I read it rather fast. It didn't completely disrupt my life either (that sometimes happens when I want to read rather than talk to others) but it was interesting enough to ensure that I was always keen to read when I had a free moment. I also enjoyed the resolution, it was a bit more haunting than some of the other Kellerman books I'd read.
Christi Nash
Mar 19, 2017 Christi Nash rated it really liked it
I have never read a Johnathan Kellerman novel and I really felt his depictions of LA rang of the authenticity of someone who has not only lived here, but actually encountered different classes and types of people in LA - though of course being 8-9 years old, some details are a bit dated (Paris Hilton, spray tans, low cut jeans and a character who physically sounds suspiciously like in-the-closet Bruce Jenner) a lot of the overall themes, people and places rang true. A real page turner, easy read ...more
Kelly ...
Mar 06, 2017 Kelly ... rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
Please Mr Kellerman, more psychology. The thing I like best about the Delaware novels is the fact that they are smart, psychological thrillers. The last few in the series don't seem to be focusing on Alex' reason for being -- the psychology. He is basically just another detective. I hope that changes.
Iris
Feb 23, 2017 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Saints. There ain’t no such thing, we’re always talking about that. All there is, sir, are sinners of different degrees and what we all need is to learn to forgive ourselves, not wait for some preacher to do it.”

Jonathan Kellerman doesn't fail at writing very disturbing characters. They are dark, twisted and scary... but that's what serial killers are, right?

In Bones, the bodies of four women (minus their right hands) are found in a marsh in Los Angeles. Lt. Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware
Linda Mulford
Jan 03, 2017 Linda Mulford rated it it was ok
Could not get into this book very well. I enjoyed Kellerman's two books about Golem very much. This mystery just seemed confusing.
Sherrie
May 10, 2009 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
"Bones" by Johnathan Kellerman
Product Description(From Amazon.com)
The anonymous caller has an ominous tone and an unnerving message about something “real dead . . . buried in your marsh.” The eco-volunteer on the other end of the phone thinks it’s a prank, but when a young woman’s body turns up in L.A.’s Bird Marsh preserve no one’s laughing. And when the bones of more victims surface, homicide detective Milo Sturgis realizes the city’s under siege to an insidious killer. Milo’s first move: call
Kai Palchikoff
When it comes to writing deftly layered, tightly coiled novels of suspense, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman reigns supreme as Ì_Ì_ÌÂmaster of the psychological thrillerÌ_Ì_å (People). Now, Kellerman has worked his magic again in this chilling new masterpiece.The anonymous caller has an ominous tone and an unnerving message about something Ì_Ì_ÌÂreal dead . . . buried in your marsh.Ì_Ì_å The eco-volunteer on the other end of the phone thinks itÌ_Ì_åÈs a prank, but when a y ...more
Chris
This is more like a 2.5 I finished it but................

Sandie
Oct 01, 2013 Sandie rated it liked it
A teen doing community service at the marsh gets the call. The caller says there is a body in the marsh, and indeed there is. Selena Bass, a local musician, whose main gig these days is teaching a genius child of a multi-millionaire. Milo gets the call and goes to the scene, but calls in his friend, psychologist Alex Delaware.

By the next day, things have gotten worse. Not only is Selena's body in the marsh, but so are the bodies of three other women. All killed the same way, all buried facing t
Laurel-Rain
Nov 10, 2008 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing
When a body is discovered, via anonymous tip and openly displayed in a marsh near LA, the strangest thing about it is the missing right hand. Shortly thereafter, three other bodies are discovered – also missing hands.

Then a man who goes to auctions for the contents of storage units finds a carved box containing small bones. Polished bones, like a treasure. The bones turn out to be human
hands.

Detective Milo Sturgis and his sidekicks, along with Dr. Alex Delaware, the psychologist who frequently
Brett
Apr 23, 2012 Brett rated it liked it
Bones is an interesting enough story, not overly fast moving, but with a well thought out plot. The pace picks up somewhat as we head towards the climax, but I would not describe it as a page turner.

The characters who we have come to know and love from previous adventures, Milo and Alex Delaware, seem strangely anonymous this time round. Milo is there, but you get no real feel for his character, and, whilst some of the story is told by Alex in the first person, his involvement is rather limited
Barbara
Dec 31, 2016 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"Bones" is the twenty third instalment in Jonathan Kellerman's long-standing Alex Delaware series. Again focusing on psychologist Alex Delaware and Detective/Lieutenant Milo Sturgis, Bones opens on the discovery of several bodies in the marsh. Although three bodies are long decayed, the most recent victim brings the pair directly to her wealthy employer, and from there the bodies add up.

As always, this is a well crafted mystery with many suspects and a few interesting twists. Milo and Alex follo
Alasandra Alawine
Seemed to drag out. When a child prodigies piano teacher (Selena) turns up dead in a local marsh, Milo and Alex start investigating Selena's life. The trail conveniently leads to disabled handyman Huck Travis. And the discovery of 3 prostitutes bodies deeper in the marsh does nothing to sway them from their course. Due to being railroaded by the police as a child Huck flees strengthening the case Milo is building against him. But Alex begins to have serious doubts about Huck's involvement and se ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 04, 2009 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
On a recent roadtrip, my mom asked me to run into a bookstore and pick up a book on tape. A good thriller, she said. I scanned the picked over shelf, and my eyes settled on BONES, with the promising banner across the top - #1 New York Times Bestselling Author. This should do it, I thought, scooping it up and scurrying back to the car.

What a mistake. If I could rate a book with negative stars I would. This was awful from it's discouraging start to it's banal, unimaginative end. Worst part is my
X5-494
Oct 19, 2012 X5-494 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well... What can I say? A book like a friend. You know that you like the main characters and you know – more or less – what to expect.

In this particular case I have to agree – unfortunately – with many other readers and reviewers: This book just TAKES too long! I mean, it’s nice to have a new character (Moe Reed) and it’s nice to not get thrown in to the action right from the start (though, that’s hardly ever the case in Alex Delaware novels), but during the first 300 of 428 pages practically n
Janne
Mar 24, 2009 Janne rated it liked it
I like all the Kellerman books - this one was good - I really liked the new detective and his brother - they added a much needed new dimension to the series.... I liked the series better when there was more personal interaction with Robin and home - Alex seems to never be home much anymore and since when is Robin OK with that?
This one had almost too much twisting in the plot to the point where I was nearly losing interest - I don't get to just sit down and read a book cover to cover - I need to
Sahara
Mar 05, 2014 Sahara rated it did not like it
This is my first time reading a murder mystery book and this is also my firs Jonathan Kellerman book. If I were to base all murder mystery books by this one, then I wouldn't read another one. The crime and suspicion and small detective details are all fine, but the overall writing of this book is not good.

Maybe Kellerman's earlier books are better. I just don't like how I constantly forgot who was the narrator. Every time I read "I said, '(blah, blah, blah)'. Moe said, "(more blah, blah, blah)"
Holly Gravel
Feb 08, 2017 Holly Gravel rated it it was amazing
Jim Thornton
Oct 02, 2012 Jim Thornton rated it did not like it
Bought about three years ago from an airport stall.... still not read... does that say too much about my expectations?

Well.... that took a bit longer than I thought, mainly because there was nothing whatsoever in this book that shouted at you to keep reading, or to pick it up again.

Basic Plot? Mundane, poorly explored, largely unexploited as there was some real interest there at the beginning.

Characters? Flat, boring and uninteresting

Development of story? None - no plot twists or interest. The g
Bones 3 21 Jun 03, 2014 05:47PM
  • The Burnt House (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #16)
  • Sunstroke
  • Broken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #16)
  • Birds of Prey (J.P. Beaumont, #15)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)