River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)

River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer #5)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  660 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In the heart of Panama, a volcanic lake feeds a serpentine river—its stone banks laid by the Inca, who took back the gold and jewels plundered from them by the conquistadors. Legend has it that the Twice-Stolen Treasure has been buried for centuries in the Panamanian jungle. Discovering it means surviving the unpredictable black waters of the River of Ruin….

It begins at a...more
Published December 3rd 2002 by Onyx (first published November 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about River Of Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River Of Ruin

Joe Ganzi
FANTASTIC!!! The first few books in the Philip Mercer series were excellent but this one proves du Brul has taken his place among the best techno-thriller authors out there. WELL worth the read, kept me turning pages way past my bedtime!
Adam
Another really great adventure. I like that Harry was in the action again (right beside Mercer this time). Harry and Mercer's bond grows deeper while we get a lot more background on Mercer and his tragic experience as a boy. Very well done. This isn't just a fast paced and thrilling adventure story, it's a character driven mouthful of ear candy (does that make sense?). Anyway, I love this series. Du Brul has outdone himself once again.
Yona
Well i liked it, but i expected a little more from this book. There was a lot of fight with the Chinese( they were very annoying most of the time).
But of course in the end the good guys won.

I don't know what will happen with Mercer and Loren, but not always in a book there are answers to all the questions.

Miguel has a new home and a loving family who will take care for him.
So it was a good book, but not one of the greatest.
Micheal
Very fun, endearing characters, twists that will make you wish you weren't just reading it for 30 minutes on your lunch break. Definitely worth a read.
Brendan Le Grange
I first encountered Jack du Brul’s work in one of the novels he co-wrote with Clive Cussler, but it is in his stand-alone novels that he really excels. Mercer is a perfect lead character and in Harry White he has a perfect foil. The first few books in the series are great, though with a heavy reliance on cold war themes they feel a bit dated now so it is really from Medusa Stone onwards it really hits its stride; with River of Ruin one of my top two.
The story leverages the unique make-up of each...more
Karine
This book was okay, I enjoyed the action, however, as most action books the good guys always seem to do better then the expert military groups, where after the third impossible victory you are left with the feeling of.. “Right…. everybody is superman saving the day.” All in all, if you like action this book is still worth the read.

As much as the author did a great job weaving the characters individual stories within the plot, and the constant action throughout the book, I was slightly disappoint...more
Melinda
Philip Mercer is the new Dirk Pitt. A mining engineer with an action-packed past, a brain and good-looking(in that ruggedly handsome way). These books are a great easy read. Obviously written to a formula, but with some great research behind them abd some fantastic characters...its a good way to spend an afternoon.
Lyle
Another entry in this author's Jack Du Brul PHILIP MERCER series. Fast paced and very entertaining, as were the others. Beyond all the explosions (blowing up the Panama Canal was interesting), there's the oddly sweet relationship between the protagonist and Harry, his 80 something friend. Already have a request on another book in the series. Not the next book....I started reading these out of order.
Melissa Banczak
The story kept my attention and I really liked the characters. I did have some trouble keeping track of things in the last 50 pages. It got too technical with descriptions of the Panama Canal's lock system and half the time, I couldn't picture what was going on. I didn't realize this was a series or I would have started with book one. I do plan on finding book one and giving it a try.
Kristin Lundgren
Good thriller, but tons of detail which slowed me down - I know know everything about the Panama Canal, including some on the building of it, the treaty, the number of locks, how high they are, the double doors, the intake valves, etc. But it had some great supporting characters, and so I enjoyed it, even if it took me four nights to finish.
Nigel
This was agood read and I enjoyed it more than Pandora's Curse. A very plausible story about the Chinese trying to take control of the Panama Canal and trying to find lost treasure of the Incas to fund it. Nice to see Mercer's character developing and also seeing more of Harry involved in this one.
Brett Sorge
This book started off good and really felt like a typical Clive Cussler book. I think maybe it was bout 100 pages too long and my interest started to wander at the end. The writer has talent, but he needs to find his own winning formulae.
Norma Saldana
Lots of adventure as part of the story involves a team trying to head-off an explosion and blocking of the canal. Good insight as we head of to the PC on Tuesday.
Mason
Oct 01, 2008 Mason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mason by: mweatherly1@triad.rr.com
Shelves: adventure
Another excellent Phillip Mercer adventure book from Jack DuBrul. If you like good adventure stories, I recommend reading all of Jack's books.
Shaft
Starting to lose its shine now. I like the series but it isn't making the effort of say the first two books. Seems to be a bit same-y.
David Reynolds
Feb 23, 2013 David Reynolds rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes clive cussler
Recommended to David by: Jamie from work
Liking DuBrul more with each book I read..really liked this one. They go pretty fast too..
Kiki
A good "brain candy" book - something to read while I am killing time on the stack.
Amanda Hicks
I think if I read the rest of the series I would have liked this better.
Shawn
Mercer is right up there with Dirk Pitt. A great action adventure.
Peter Charleston
Enjoyable adventure, action packed.
Sheldon Lehman
Excellent story!
Hank Hanna
Great easy read.
Stephanie Rinkel
Stephanie Rinkel marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Plague Ship (The Oregon Files, #5)
  • Primeval (Event Group Adventure, #5)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • Dourado
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...
Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1) Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4) Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7) The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3) Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)