The Sweet Melissa Baking Book: Recipes from the Beloved Bakery for Everyone's Favorite Treats

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Everyone has a favorite sweet treat. Whether it’s a delicious brownie or the perfect mouthwatering chocolate chip cookie, simple, homespun treats are some of our most beloved. Melissa Murphy has a love of desserts that started when she was born on Thanksgiving Day—her mother refused to go to the hospital until the two pies she’d baked had been served. Now, Melissa brings t...more
Published March 13th 2008 by Studio

Jen
We made two of the recipes and they were wonderful. The recipe that she promotes the most is her chocolate chip cookie recipe (which requires refrigerating the dough TWICE and contains toasted almonds). My hubby thought they were the best chocolate chip cookies he had ever had but I think I'm a bit of a purist and prefer no nuts. Next time I check it out from the library, I'm going to make the chocolate cherry cookies and some pies.
Lisa
Aug 18, 2011 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
Okay, so this book is incredible! I LOVE how Melissa Murphy adds something to some of the most basic recipes and makes them unique and INCREDIBLE! Like her Toasted Almond Lemon bars...there's no going back once you've tried this version. OR the fresh orange cream cheese frosting she puts on basic carrot cake. KILLER! Little easy twists that sing in your mouth! LOVE!!!!!
Molly
I borrowed this through interlibrary loan, so I can't even check it out again on the quick. This is probably one to buy, especially since I don't have a lot of dessert books. I made one of her pound cake recipes for gifts and the buttermilk pie for Easter, both very delicious!
jennifer graves
Okay I am basing this on one recipe--the chocolate chip cookies. The recipe was easy to follow and my husband gave them a 15 on a 1-10 scale. I must admit, the cookies were the best chocolate chip cookies I ever made. I will try another recipe this weekend.
Dori
I had high hopes for this cookbook after seeing many references to it in the culinary blogs I read, but I found it uninspiring--just not a lot of helpful information or distinctive recipes that I feel compelled to try.
Karen
I like the premise: baking better than you've had it before. The author has a healthy self image. I copied a couple recipes and hope for the best.
Jessie
Jessie added it
Jun 27, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Roy
Roy added it
Feb 10, 2014
M
M added it
Jun 28, 2013
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Julie Dobson
Julie Dobson marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Linda G
Linda G marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
flo
flo marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Secrets of the Gentleman Thief Hidden Changes Overcoming Agoraphobia Silent Changes The Sweet Melissa Baking Book