Start by marking “The Six SIGMA Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Six Sigma was originally developed at Motorola in the 1980's and has become one of the most widely discussed and reported trends in business over the past two years, thanks largely to the phenomenal successes of the Six Sigma program at one of the world's most successful companies, GE.
Published April 27th 2000 by McGraw-Hill Companies

To ask other readers questions about The Six SIGMA Way, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jim Dubois
Great information but it is a very dry,textbook style of book. If you make it bedtime reading material you will fall asleep and not retain anything. Best to read when you are alert and seeking information. Very process oriented.
Beth E
Painful. I thought the book would be more of a commentary on how these big companies embraced the process and what their bottom-line success was. Instead, this book was more of an owners manual on Six Sigma. Not at all what I expected.
Brad
This is a group of summaries of how companies succeeded. It also has a summary of VERY general descriptions of the Six Sigma program, but without giving the reader any true wisdom.
Karleton Helfer
This recommendation is based on having read dozens of books in this genre.

Read this book, it is a straight forward read.

See other reviews for details.
Benjamin
A bit better than the average business book about six-sigma in that it's not just a sales tool trying to convince you to implement it at your company, but also gives tips on how you can better use the techniques at companies that are already using the business model.
Randolph Carter
Ostensibly a "manager's book" for Six Sigma. which translates to: not much depth. This in turn translates to: teaches you to do nothing actually useful so don't waste your time here unless you want a long winded 40,000 foot introduction to GE Six Sigma methodology.

Another problem with Six Sigma is there are really two schools: Motorola and GE. The Motorola methodology actually teaches one how to use statistical principles to build better quality in, how to maintain it, and how to continuously im
Omar Halabieh
This book is THE reference on Six Sigma. The authors define it as "A comprehensive and flexible system for achieving, sustaining and maximizing business success. Six Sigma is uniquely driven by close understanding of customer needs, disciplined use of facts, data, and statistical analysis, and diligent attention to managing, improving, and reinventing business processes."

This work is made up of three major sections. The first part provides an executive summary of this system. The second part foc
Bob Wallner
Jan 13, 2013 Bob Wallner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with little understanding of change management
Shelves: 6-sigma, audible
My review is based on the Abridged Audiobook. I guess I may have been expecting something else. This book is a great introduction to people who have little or no experience with any kind of Continuous Improvement effort and the challenges they will face. This book did a great job of talking about cultural changes all Improvement efforts will take. In the audiobook; however, there was little explanation of what tools drive the Six Sigma Way. I like that the author did not put down other efforts s ...more
Chris Ross
I read this book in 2005 while working for GE so that I could learn more about Six Sigma. This book essentially detailed case studies about how companies like GE and Motorola improved quality and cut costs.
Milo Vukelich
I enjoyed this book. A good primer on 6-Sigma, how it works and, most importantly for me, how it works in service industries. I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick intro to the field.
Timothy Tacker
This was more of a high-level overview than I had hoped. It did not contain the level of detail that I was seeking but, instead, mainly related a set of stories about organizations that had seen success using Six Sigma.
Meaghan
pretty sure i would never have read this book if it wasnt for me mistakingly believing i wanted to be an engineer. however, for a school book, it was pretty good.
Curtis
I listened to the abridged audio version. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the book has more detail, but this audio version was full of summarized info that I could have gotten from a Wikipedia article.
Dax
Well, it's pretty good for a six-sigma how-to. Whether six-sigma can live up to its promises is another question entirely.
Shawn Chase
A good book to give to your friends who want an introductory understanding of Six Sigma
Katy Dickinson
A good introduction to Six Sigma statistics-based business improvement methods.
Matthew Pierce
If you like business books, this is a must read.
Phyllis
Great overview of the methodology
Hany Fahmy
Not worthy to waste time
Hardiansyah
Help my project much ..;)
Bryan Blanchot
Bryan Blanchot marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Er Akki
Er Akki marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Ghada Kholief
Ghada Kholief marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Prakash
Prakash marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Carlos Aspin
Carlos Aspin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • The Human Side of Enterprise, Annotated Edition
  • Lean Six SIGMA for Service: How to Use Lean Speed and Six SIGMA Quality to Improve Services and Transactions
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Competing for the Future
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • Harvard Business Review on Leadership
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • The Six SIGMA Handbook: A Complete Guide for Greenbelts, Blackbelts, and Managers at All Levels
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • Harvard Business Review on Knowledge Management
Pete is a seasoned consultant in process improvement, organization change and Lean, Six Sigma initiatives – and is one of the recognized "experts" in the field. He has provided senior executive training and deployment consulting services in business improvement and Lean, Six Sigma efforts for such companies as GE Capital, Cisco Systems, Starwood Hotels, Honeywell, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Adobe, G ...more
More about Peter S. Pande...
What Is Six SIGMA? The Six SIGMA Way Team Fieldbook: An Implementation Guide for Process Improvement Teams The Six SIGMA Leader: How Top Executives Will Prevail in the 21st Century What Is Design for Six SIGMA? The Six Sigma Leader: Putting the Power of Business Excellence Into Everything You Do