Start by marking “The Six SIGMA Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance” as Want to Read:

Six Sigma was originally developed at Motorola in the 1980's and has become one of the most widely discussed and reported trends in business over the past two years, thanks largely to the phenomenal successes of the Six Sigma program at one of the world's most successful companies, GE.
Published May 18th 2000 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published April 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Six SIGMA Way, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jim Dubois
May 06, 2012 Jim Dubois rated it liked it
Great information but it is a very dry,textbook style of book. If you make it bedtime reading material you will fall asleep and not retain anything. Best to read when you are alert and seeking information. Very process oriented.
Beth E
Jan 12, 2010 Beth E rated it did not like it
Painful. I thought the book would be more of a commentary on how these big companies embraced the process and what their bottom-line success was. Instead, this book was more of an owners manual on Six Sigma. Not at all what I expected.
Karleton Helfer
Jul 20, 2012 Karleton Helfer rated it really liked it
This recommendation is based on having read dozens of books in this genre.

Read this book, it is a straight forward read.

See other reviews for details.
Brad
Dec 22, 2011 Brad rated it did not like it
This is a group of summaries of how companies succeeded. It also has a summary of VERY general descriptions of the Six Sigma program, but without giving the reader any true wisdom.
Benjamin
Mar 27, 2010 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit better than the average business book about six-sigma in that it's not just a sales tool trying to convince you to implement it at your company, but also gives tips on how you can better use the techniques at companies that are already using the business model.
Omar Halabieh
Jan 20, 2013 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it
This book is THE reference on Six Sigma. The authors define it as "A comprehensive and flexible system for achieving, sustaining and maximizing business success. Six Sigma is uniquely driven by close understanding of customer needs, disciplined use of facts, data, and statistical analysis, and diligent attention to managing, improving, and reinventing business processes."

This work is made up of three major sections. The first part provides an executive summary of this system. The second part foc
Randolph Carter
Dec 21, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Ostensibly a "manager's book" for Six Sigma. which translates to: not much depth. This in turn translates to: teaches you to do nothing actually useful so don't waste your time here unless you want a long winded 40,000 foot introduction to GE Six Sigma methodology.

Another problem with Six Sigma is there are really two schools: Motorola and GE. The Motorola methodology actually teaches one how to use statistical principles to build better quality in, how to maintain it, and how to continuously im
Bob Wallner
Jan 13, 2013 Bob Wallner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People with little understanding of change management
Shelves: 6-sigma, audible
My review is based on the Abridged Audiobook. I guess I may have been expecting something else. This book is a great introduction to people who have little or no experience with any kind of Continuous Improvement effort and the challenges they will face. This book did a great job of talking about cultural changes all Improvement efforts will take. In the audiobook; however, there was little explanation of what tools drive the Six Sigma Way. I like that the author did not put down other efforts s ...more
Chris Ross
Nov 23, 2014 Chris Ross rated it liked it
Shelves: business-books
I read this book in 2005 while working for GE so that I could learn more about Six Sigma. This book essentially detailed case studies about how companies like GE and Motorola improved quality and cut costs.
Curtis
Jul 24, 2011 Curtis rated it liked it
I listened to the abridged audio version. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the book has more detail, but this audio version was full of summarized info that I could have gotten from a Wikipedia article.
Timothy Tacker
Jul 15, 2014 Timothy Tacker rated it did not like it
This was more of a high-level overview than I had hoped. It did not contain the level of detail that I was seeking but, instead, mainly related a set of stories about organizations that had seen success using Six Sigma.
Milo Vukelich
May 31, 2014 Milo Vukelich rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. A good primer on 6-Sigma, how it works and, most importantly for me, how it works in service industries. I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick intro to the field.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it liked it
pretty sure i would never have read this book if it wasnt for me mistakingly believing i wanted to be an engineer. however, for a school book, it was pretty good.
David Miranda
Jul 30, 2016 David Miranda rated it it was ok
Lots of talk about how six sigma is great but I didn't feel like I got anything out of it that I can actually go apply.
Dax
Jan 18, 2008 Dax rated it really liked it
Well, it's pretty good for a six-sigma how-to. Whether six-sigma can live up to its promises is another question entirely.
Matt Clem
Jan 17, 2016 Matt Clem rated it it was amazing
A great book, not just about Six Sigma, but about organizational and process improvement in general.
Lianto Lim
Lianto Lim rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2009
Rayng
Rayng rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2014
Shavkat Alimov
Shavkat Alimov rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Todd Palmer
Todd Palmer rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Pantea
Pantea rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2007
Sheridano
Sheridano rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2009
Marek
Marek rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
Ivan Diaz
Ivan Diaz rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2012
Guillermo
Guillermo rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Ahmad Aburshaid
Ahmad Aburshaid rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Tom Dase
Tom Dase rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Divya Mani
Divya Mani rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
  • Lean Six SIGMA for Service: How to Use Lean Speed and Six SIGMA Quality to Improve Services and Transactions
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Harvard Business Review on What Makes a Leader
  • Six Sigma: The Breakthrough Management Strategy Revolutionizing the World's Top Corporations
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Harvard Business Review on Leadership
  • The Six SIGMA Handbook: A Complete Guide for Greenbelts, Blackbelts, and Managers at All Levels
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution (Collins Business Essentials)
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
  • Negotiation (Harvard Business Essentials)
  • Six SIGMA for Managers: 24 Lessons to Understand and Apply Six SIGMA Principles in Any Organization
  • Competing for the Future
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
Pete is a seasoned consultant in process improvement, organization change and Lean, Six Sigma initiatives – and is one of the recognized "experts" in the field. He has provided senior executive training and deployment consulting services in business improvement and Lean, Six Sigma efforts for such companies as GE Capital, Cisco Systems, Starwood Hotels, Honeywell, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Adobe, G ...more
More about Peter S. Pande...