Start by marking “Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show” as Want to Read:

Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show (Smart Pop)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  905 ratings  ·  29 reviews
This collection of irreverent and surprising essays about the popular television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer includes pieces by leading science fiction and fantasy authors. Contributors include bestselling legend David Brin, critically acclaimed novelist Scott Westerfeld, cult-favorite vampire author Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and award-winner Sarah Zettel. The show and its ...more
Published September 10th 2003 by Smart Pop (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Seasons of Buffy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Seasons of Buffy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss WhedonBuffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss WhedonBuffy the Vampire Slayer by Brian K. VaughanBuffy the Vampire Slayer by Drew GoddardFray by Joss Whedon
Ultimate Buffy the Vampire Slayer List
18th out of 205 books — 62 voters
Why Buffy Matters by Rhonda V. WilcoxBuffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy by James B. SouthBuffy Goes Dark by Lynne Y. EdwardsSlayer Slang by Michael AdamsFighting the Forces by Rhonda V. Wilcox
Buffy Academia
7th out of 42 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Why read: Received for review.

What impressed me: Many authors I had read, or at least heard of, contributed essays to Seven Seasons of Buffy. I didn't agree with everything the essayists put forth, but appreciated the contrasting opinions that made me consider other outlooks. This book is a celebration of everything that Buffy was, but doesn't hold back when presenting theories and ideas that show fans may rabidly disagree with.

What disappointed me: With any anthology of this nature, some essays
Michelle
You really can't go wrong with sci-fi and fantasy authors giving their take on what makes/made Buffy the cult production that it came to be.

The authors delve into everything from Buffy's single status to whether or not the Scoobies should be insiders or outsiders in the world of normal people.

If you thought you were the only one dissecting the Buffyverse and how it might relate to your life...think again! It seems like it's the trendy thing to do!
Ta§chima Cullen
You can find more reviews @BloodyBookaholic

Are you the kind of Buffy fan that declares that Buffy was the ultimate T.V. Series? Are you the kind of Buffy fan that bought the series and watched it over and over and over again? Are you the kind of fan that discusses with your fellow Buffy mates various points of the series? Like what went wrong, what went great, and things like that? If you answered yes to any of these questions then this IS the book for you. This book will give you plenty of thin
Emily
As always, when reading a collection from many different contributors, it's impossible to like them all equally. My favorite essays were written by Roxanne Longstreet Conrad (loved her frisky creativity), Scott Westerfeld (his ideas about story types intrigued me), Laura Resnick (liked her writing and it rang true to me), Justine Larbalestier (really loved her voice and her "festival" ideas), Kevin Andrew Murphy (interesting behind-the-scenes info about making the show), Christie Golden (another ...more
Alexandra Michaelides
Since finishing Buffy and Angel I've become a voracious reader of Buffyverse academia and have enjoyed most of it. I read the companion book Five Seasons of Angel and loved it. It was clever and well-written. It was with high expectations that I read Seven Seasons of Buffy, and was sadly, quite disappointed. First, this essay compilation needs a much better editor. Basic information about the show was incorrect, at least one character's name was misspelled, and a couple of essays suffer from far ...more
Abby
Jan 10, 2015 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: the tv series (and Shae Whelchel)
A series of essays on a show I never watched when it was on but a friend got me to marathon on DVD. I liked that some people were just as critical about aspects of the show as I was and I liked the differing points of view. A few were a bit dry.
Victoria
First off, I admit I didn't read this book cover to cover. I just hopped around chapters as the mood grabbed me. The fact this book even exists seems ludicrous, 23 well-established authors writing about a TV series?! You'd think they'd run out of wise insights or issues to discuss. But, as fans of Buffy know, they don't run out of topics to passionately discuss. And THAT is the beauty of this show. My "Buffy knowledge" dwarfs in comparison, but several times while reading I realized, "Hey, that' ...more
Rachel
Since I'm re-watching Buffy currently with my fella, who has never seen it, I found this especially delightful to re-read. It also let me look forward to reaching S7, which I don't think I've watched since it originally aired as I didn't enjoy it as much as Seasons 1-6 (and especially not as much as seasons 2-5, the best Buffy years, imho). I'll be glad to remember how it all shakes out and re-experience it, especially now that this book has helped me remember some of that joy. As always, the es ...more
Eric Juneau
A lot of the essays in this book start getting samey. The power of friendship, sexiness of vampires, who should Buffy be with, wiccan good, love the earth, woman power. It starts feeling like refined versions of online editorials, only by professional authors.

And that's saying something because, unlike most things, I did not lurk on Buffy web sites. I didn't read the analyses or identify with a main character or get into discussion groups. Mostly because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but because I
Sara
It is fascinating to see other peoples' opinions on this show and the meanings behind it. A few of the essays were hard to swallow; I felt they were too harsh and did not supply realistic views. To quote Ms. Larbelestier, "Don't they WANT to enjoy the show?"
I was intrigued by Matchmaking on the Hellmouth. Having seen the first four seasons of Angel, I can actually see it working with the Rogue Demon Hunter. *sigh* But alas we shall never see how that would have played out...
And, I'm sorry, but
missy ward-lambert
Lots of truly bad writing here :(
Kerry
Sep 26, 2012 Kerry marked it as dnf
Shelves: non-fiction, media, 2005
This book is a collection of essays from various writers, especially in the SF, Fantasy and Romance genres, on various ideas and themes portrayed in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. What I read was brilliant and I only didn't finish it because my life is so busy and I needed to return the book to the owner so the long line of friends who want to read it get the chance. I'll get it back again when the queue is shorter.

[Copied across from Library Thing; 27 September 2012]
Cindy
Most of these essays are on the silly side, intentionally or not. The only writer I'd actually read before was Sarah Zettel and I liked her essay that made some sense of the difference between the high school seasons and the post high school seasons - why the latter didn't work as well. I haven't been watching reruns, but it will probably be fun in a few years after memory has faded. (January 17, 2005)
Sam
I was surfing Jennifer Cruisie's site and came across the short story from this book which I had never heard of before this. Out to the library I went and I have been browsing the book for a couple of days now. It's making me nostalgic for the series and now want to go out and get the 7 seasons on DVD.

Didn't end up reading every story in this but enjoyed most of the ones I did.
Whitney
Didn't quite finish this one. The essays were supposedly by "famous" sci-fi authors, but I'd only heard of a few of them. I read four or five before I decided this collection wasn't well-written enough to be worth my time. The only exception was Scott Westerfeld's essay about the different types of fantasy fiction.
Jenna
This is a must for any Buffy fan. I was surprised, impressed, and entertained by the quality of writing and analysis. If you love Buffy and you want to understand not only why you love the show but also how it has helped construct the zeitgeist, this is one book, you shouldn't be without.
Lisa
A hit and miss book, but better than any other movie/TV show essay book I've read. The Scott Westerfeld essay "A Slayer Comes to Town: An Essay on Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is excellent and will make you think about SciFi differently.
Meg
The essays in this book vary in quality, but provide an enjoyable summary of the myriad ways in which Buffy the Vampire Slayer endeared itself to its fans. Highlights include essays by Scott Westerfeld and Justine Larbalestier.
Karen
Although a few of the essays were fluffy, some of them were excellent. On the whole, I found the quality of What Would Buffy Do by Jana Riess and Why Buffy Matters by Rhonda Wilcox to be more consistent.
Leah (Jane Speare)
It's not often you find an anthology (non-fiction, still called that?) with 90% good essays. Highly entertaining read for between books, and now I want to go watch my favorite episodes again. :)
Carole
Jul 25, 2014 Carole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Whedonites
Shelves: non-fic, film-and-tv
More a "fun" read than the scholarly Wilcox book I recently finished (though I really enjoyed that, perhaps more so.) The volume's essays were hit-and-miss for me ... loved some, loathed others.
Pretty hit or miss collection of essays about BTVS. I would have liked it more if all the essays had the more scholarly slant that only some possessed. Did not quite fill my BTVS void.
Faith
Some of the essays were interesting, some were just weird. It's kind of a whatever book for fans of the show.
KC
Most of the episode numbers are wrong, and a lot of the essayists really irked me.
Lindig
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro wrote one of the essays in this book.
William Herbst
Interesting and thoughtful essays on a great show.
Judy
Interesting, well-written, lots of perspectives - fun!
Tina Jones
Mixed bag of essays here.
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Undead TV: Essays on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Dusted: The Unauthorized Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • The Complete Slayer: An unoffical and unauthorised guide to every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Bite Me!: An Unofficial Guide to the World of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Existential Joss Whedon: Evil And Human Freedom in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly And Serenity
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Script Book "Once More With Feeling"

Smart Pop (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
  • The Anthology at the End of the Universe: Leading Science Fiction Authors on Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City
  • The Battle for Azeroth: Adventure, Alliance, And Addiction Insights into the World of Warcraft
  • Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek
  • Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest
  • Farscape Forever! Sex, Drugs and Killer Muppets
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage, and Starting Over in J. J. Abrams' Lost (Smart Pop series)
  • Grey's Anatomy 101: Seattle Grace, Unauthorized
Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire Taking the Red Pill: Science, Philosophy & Religion in The Matrix The Anthology at the End of the Universe: Leading Science Fiction Authors on Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy The Man from Krypton: A Closer Look at Superman Farscape Forever! Sex, Drugs and Killer Muppets