Start by marking “The Body: Being Light in Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Body: Being Light in Darkness

The Body: Being Light in Darkness

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A newly released special edition of the life-changing classic from Charles Colson.Once every generation, a book comes along that defines debate, shapes attitudes, and changes society. The Body is such a book.

Because its message is so powerful and timeless, The Body -- winner of the 1993 Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion and the ECPA Gold Medallion as Book of the Yea
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1992 by Word Pub Audio Cassettes (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body

John
The cover of our most recent church directory shows a picture of our church building. It's a nice building, but using that picture sends an unfortunate message: This is our church.
It's not. "Our" church is the people pictured inside the directory.
Charles Colson and Ellen Santilli Vaughn, in "The Body," are writing about the church, and they make it clear from the outset that the church is the people of God. It's not an institution; it's certainly not a building, or a "campus."
They also make it c
Mike (the Paladin)
I actually read the earlier edition first and then got the newer one. This is a look at the Christian Church and the things we have in common rather than the things that seperate us.
Biographyguy
God certainly works in mysterious ways. I have always felt, since becoming a Christian, that my calling was to become a pastor. I really was mentally preparing myself for whatever God had in store for me.

All of this started for me when I began to read my Dad's theology books as he is a pastor. The first one I read was Chuck Colson's The Body. It is twenty years old now, but its' call to be a witness in times of darkness is even more relevant in the digital and internet age. On so many community
Elijah Abanto
Problems aside, this would be a very good book. If I would recommend this book, I think I'll do to those whose doctrinal beliefs would not be shaken, especially about ecumenism. Colson's reference to Catholicism and other denominations are many, and all with great approval. He really believes they are Christians. He believes the Universal, Invisible Church, and it reflects throughout the book. Without a strong doctrinal foundation, you would be swayed easily.
Anyway, I have so much positive to sa
John
In this book Chuck makes an extensive review of where the 20th century church is, how it arrived spiritually and where it should be biblically. Throughout are many stories and antedotes that drive home real examples of the body operating as it should in todays culture.

A wonderful historical perspective of the fall of communism is also included with stories from a number of Eastern Europe countries and the struggles that they went through, beginning from approximately the 2nd World War on thro
Thomas Kidd
Read this back in 1992 or 1993, it challenged me to see the church in a totally different way. While I might have now "matured" beyond this basic primer of narratives showing us what the church should be, I will never forget the influence it had on me.
Duncan
Great book on church and it's role in the world today. How much individual fighting among the church has sidetrack it from its real purpose. The church need to be noticed in our society today.
Steve
Too sanctimonious. Christians of all stripes worship God in the way that they believe pleases him the most. If you're a Byzantine Orthodox or a Pentecostal, you worship that way you believe is the best. It doesn't mean you're right or wrong, because no one knows. Oh, lots of people think they know. They're SURE they know, and they love to tell everyone the "true way". If we really knew, we would all worship the same. But we don't. To declare certain people as "apostates" really rubs me the wrong ...more
Eric
A look at the Church in America, also compared with int'l scene, how morality seems to be failing in our society - As good/better on second reading - First read 1994
Timothy La
There is No-Better reading...I have read this book 4 times and preached it's material...
Dayo Adewoye
A brilliant book that reminds the church that her first duty is to be 'the Church.'
Glen
Colson is always a thoughtful and well-researched read. This was a treatment of prescient issues on the essence of the church, the believer's participation and what it means to be Christ's body in the world. The footnotes are always beneficial to read as well.
William E.
This is my second time through on The Body. The authors are not harbingers of doom, but rather reveal to the Church in America what everyone outside the church sees. This is an encouraging volume with practical direction form becoming what God intended for His Bride.
Philip Esguerra
An excellent analysis of the state of the church today. It opens my mind about the church role in affecting change from without and within. The part of the church in communist eastern Europe is worth the time reading. I will read more of Chuck Colson's book.
Robi
I read this as a memorial to Chuck Colson who went to be with the Lord this year. He was the epitome of someone redeemed by God and transformed into a new person. This book will haunt me and spur me on to live for others--to live outside myself.
Barbara
The church is the body of Christ. I especially liked the stories of Eastern Europe and Christians standing up to communism. The final chapter about a man on death row who comes to know Christ is heartbreakingly beautiful.
Mona
A fantastic, well written guide to peace and progress in the Christian church. I would recommend for anyone whether it be pastor, laypeople, or church member. Excellent!!
Jud Kossum
Published in 1992, it's a little dated (there is a newer version out called "Being the Body") and not without flaws, but this book should serve as a wake-up call to the church.
Valerie
This is a good book but admittedly I didn't finish it. It didn't seem to fit my season appropriately. I did enjoy what I read though.
Brent Barnard
I almost always like Chuck Colson. Here he's promoting both holiness and the unity of the church. Excellent.
Patti Hertzog
I don't necessarily agree with all of Colson's doctrine, but I've read the book twice and been so convicted.
Pete Bartel
Pretty good book about what the Church is and should be. Lots of real life examples.
Sandie
this was a difficult read for me.. A deep subject that is covered well.
Rick
My personal favorite from Colson. wonderful style, crisp prose.
Mary
I read it a long while back but remember it being a good book.
Melody
I have enjoyed the first chapter so far.
Ingrid
This book was wonderful. I understand it was a updating of the book he had written earlier. So the one I read was called "Being the Body". It was co-written with a woman named Ellen. The book was structured in a way that made it exciting to read and poignant. The true stories are told in detail well researched and are about things and events that I had heard of but knew little about. They then reflect on the lessons learned and the application for individual Christian living for our time. Some o ...more
Radim Blazek
Radim Blazek marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • Christianity in Crisis
  • Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God
  • The Great House of God
  • Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
  • Heaven: Your Real Home
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul (LifeChange Books)
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Holy Bible; King James Version Study Bible
  • Losing Our Virtue
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • The Name
  • Power Through Prayer
Almost 40 years ago, Charles W. Colson was not thinking about reaching out to prison inmates or reforming the U.S. penal system. In fact, this aide to President Richard Nixon was "incapable of humanitarian thought," according to the media of the mid-1970s. Colson was known as the White House "hatchet man," a man feared by even the most powerful politicos during his four years of service to Nixon.

W
More about Charles W. Colson...
Born Again How Now Shall We Live? Loving God The Good Life: Seeking Purpose, Meaning, and Truth in Your Life The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters