Start by marking “Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)

Inkheart (Inkworld #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  283,205 Ratings  ·  9,615 Reviews
Alternate cover edition: 9780439709101

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Characters from books literally leap off the page in this engrossing fantasy. Meggie has had her father to herself since her mothe
Published June 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Inkheart, please sign up.

Drew Probably like 10-15 age range. However, I believe books have no "age" requirement, just a "want" requirement. I hope you enjoy the book!
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Giver by Lois LowryCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Young Adult Books
32nd out of 10,119 books — 70,249 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
The BOOK was BETTER than the MOVIE
51st out of 1,351 books — 17,801 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
I was very much looking forward to reading this, as it had very good word-of-mouth as a high-quality children's/YA fantasy that adults will also enjoy. And the premise, that characters can exist in the "real world" outside of books, or that real people can enter the world inside a book, is endlessly appealing. However, my local library is on the verge of opening a new wing with my overdue book fines on this, because I keep hanging onto it in the hope that eventually I will be able to finish read ...more
Dana
May 06, 2008 Dana rated it it was ok
Oy... I really wanted to like this book. I had such high hopes for it. It was one of those books that whenever my students saw me reading it they said, "Oh, I really liked that book! It was so good." So, I thought it would be great. It just wasn't. The story was nice. In short (very short): Meggie's father repairs books. Her mother disappeared nine years ago. After a mysterious visitor shows up at their house, Meggie finds out that her father has a secret. He can read characters out of books. Ni ...more
Patricia
Aug 03, 2007 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of all things books
This book is everything I ever wanted. It's a book about a book and lovers of books. It's very self-affirming for me. Now I don't feel like a COMPLETE goober for 1) smelling books 2) learning Elvish or 3) bringing at least 5 books with me everywhere I go.

Note: just because I don't FEEL like a complete goober, does not mean I am not one.

"Inkheart" is the first in a trilogy. "Inkspell" is already out, and "Inkdeath" will be out in 2008.

You may not love "Inkheart" in and of itself; however, if you
Ann
Mar 11, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of great stories and detailed plots and characters
Recommended to Ann by: Katie! Thanks again!:D
What a great story!
This is quite the page-turner! I was driven to read more by both the action/adventure and the plot/conclusion. Both are excellently written! Funke’s style of writing (and indeed the translation made by Anthea Bell) makes for a smooth and beautiful read.
Wonderfully drawn and very detailed characters fill this book from cover to cover, each character being unique and complete. The story is told from multiple viewpoints, which adds another interesting dimension to the story and p
Kirsty
Aug 20, 2008 Kirsty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oof... it took me 12 days to finish this book. Not like me at all.

I liked the storyline. I love the fact that it is a book about books, and that is what initially made me want to read it. I read the blurb on the book and it sounded like a really fun read.

I was wrong.

The book was VERY long-winded. Whilst the plotline was good, and the characters were nicely built, the actual story dragged on most of the time. The best part of the book is the last few chapters, by which point I didn't care - I jus
Maia
Feb 08, 2008 Maia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People against the world domination of FedEx
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, I'm at hundred pages, and I'm like: someone just kill that loser Capricorn, and then FedEx the rest of the gang home! PLEASE! I'll pay Preferred!
It goes like this: go here, go there, go back here, go back there, return to here, and so on...
Also, this story was kind of scary, which doesn't rate high in my book (pun intended).
The idea was excellent, but poorly executed.
Liz
Apr 11, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
1. Don't watch the movie. Please, don't watch it, the movie is nothing compared with the books!

2. This series is a must-read for all book-lovers, if you ask me...

A father who can awake characters from books just by reading and a daughter with equal abilities.
A series about books and reading. A series that offeres exciting adventures, lots of reading, love and friendship, danger, amazing characters and sympathetic villians...

What more does a true book-lover need?!
Right...Nothing!

This is one of
Kathryn
A wonderful, imaginative story. The characters are so vivid, the tale so engaging, the prose so poetic... A glorious tale for anyone who ever dreamed of being transported into the stories she reads, or of having friends from the tales brought into our world!

On her website, author Cornelia Funke says,
"I didn't suspect that this story would grow untill it could fill more than one book. I have dreamed for a long time of writing a story in which characters from a book come into our world. Which book
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This is certainly for children and children who like fantasies and adventures and books and who are patient enough to read so many pages that sometimes you'd think you're just going in circles. The story is interesting enough to make me finish the first book but not enough to make me read its sequels.
helen the bookowl
Nov 25, 2015 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it
Attention: I read this book as a library book and I only just realised that the book I have is only part 1! So this review is going to be of the first half of "Inkheart".
This was a truly magical story that I know I would've absolutely adored as a child. It's about a love for books, and it's about how we - as readers - step into a fictional world, and how this fictional world can sometimes come true. I loved this story; especially the first 150 pages where the characters and setting are introduc
Nikoleta
Mar 05, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, book-lovers
Διάβασα τον "Μελανόκαρδο" ως ένα όμορφο μεγάλο παραμύθι, αλλιώς δεν θα μπορούσα να το απολαύσω, διότι η πλοκή είχε κάποιες ασυνεπειούλες, που όμως συγχωρούνται στα παραμύθια. Στη αρχή όμως με εκνεύριζαν.Για παράδειγμα, πως γίνεται ο Αιγόκερως, ο οποίος στον κόσμο του "Μελανόκαρδου" ήταν μεγάλος κ τρανός, να κάνει τα πάντα να μην γυρίσει εκεί γιατί όπως λέει δεν υπήρχαν αρκετά κομφόρ, όπως το να ανάβεις εύκολα φωτιά, αλλά να μην φοβάται μην τυχόν βρεθεί στην έρημο όταν ο Μο διαβάζει τις "Χίλιες κ ...more
Birchsilver
Jun 25, 2016 Birchsilver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book about books... what more did I need?

Cornelia Funke writes a captivating, exciting, and bookish novel about the dangers of reading aloud...

• The plot is fantastic.
Mo, Meggie's father, can make books come to life, but at the price of something from our world. Many years ago, he read the book Inkheart, and characters came to life - Capricorn, the evil villain, his henchmen - including Basta - his mother, and Dustfinger, the strange "fire-eater."
The price was Meggie's mother, Teresa.

Capric
Patrick
Dec 30, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Enjoyed it well enough. Interesting concept. Good execution. Struck me as a little grim for YA though.

By which I mean it's not something I'd read to my boy. (He's fiveish.) I might consider something like this for him when he hits 10 or so.
bookczuk
Feb 24, 2009 bookczuk rated it really liked it
My reading soul was battered and bruised, and a friend offered this book to me to help soothe the hurt. A lovely fantasy tale, with just enough villains and heroic folks to keep it balanced. You root for a happy ending and keep reading. Each chapter starts with a quote from a beloved children's classic, so you get to visit old friends on the journey through the story.

A few passages helped assure me how much the author really does love books and all they represent. Meggie, tired and distressed at
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 Tatiana rated it did not like it
As much as I hate to say it, but this book is really boring. I love children's books and read Harry Potter and His Dark Materials several times. Inkheart disappointed me. I never stop reading a book until I read at least 100 pages, to give an author a chance to develop a story. Unfortunately, I had to stop reading this book after page 150. It is extremely slowpaced and uneventful. It is surprising to know that kids actually have enough patience to finish and thoroughly enjoy this book. Maybe it' ...more
Queezle
Dec 07, 2008 Queezle rated it did not like it
I have no idea why people like this book. Where is the character developement, the intrigue, the plot? It's like a lump. After I read it, I thought back and couldn't even remember the storyline - it was too jumpy and mumbled. Not a good work of fiction.
Stefan Yates
Apr 24, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kids-room
Inkheart is the best young adult targeted fantasy novel that I have read since the Harry Potter series. Cornelia Funke has crafted a wonderful, if a bit dark, storyline filled with colorful and memorable characters, both hero and villain. I liked the blend of modern day with fantasy in this story and having the magical element of being able to read characters out of their individual stories was brilliant.

The storyline itself moves along nicely as Meggie and her father, Mo, go on an adventure bot
✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞
Ah, what a great ending to a lovely book. It really is a shame I just left this sitting on my shelf for at least 3 years! :p
Mary Beth
Sep 01, 2015 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars Very well written and worth reading!

I just loved this book. I thought it was so different than other books. This is a thrilling YA adventure about magic and self discovery. Characters and objects come to life by leaping off the pages.

Mortimer is a book binder and has passed on his great love of books to his daughter Meggie but he has never read out loud to her. When a stranger appears at their home, Meggie's world becomes upside down. She soon learns about her mothers vanishing disapp
Ann
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintenherz=Inkheart (Inkworld, #1), Cornelia Funke
عنوان: قلب جوهری - کتاب 1 از سه گانه؛ نویسنده: کورنلیا کارولینه فونکه؛ مترجم: محمد نوراللهی؛ تهران، بهنام، 1388؛ در 607 ص، مصور، این ترجمه از نسخه ی انگلیسی کتاب ترجمه شده است؛ شابک: 9789645668585؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان آلمانی قرن 21 م

عنوان: سیاه دل - کتاب 1 از سه گانه؛ نویسنده: کورنلیا کارولینه فونکه؛ مترجم: شقایق قندهاری؛ تهران، کانون پرورش فکری کودکان و نوجوانان، 1388؛ در 587 ص، مصور، این ترجمه از نسخه ی انگلیسی کتاب ترجمه شده است؛ شابک:
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
I'll never stop loving this book! It gets better every time I read it.
Erika
May 23, 2015 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi ricordo ancora di cosa mi ha portato a leggere questo libro: due mie amiche di università me l'hanno consigliato fino allo sfinimento sapendo che avevo visto solo il film. "Merita tantissimo", mi dicevano. "DEVI LEGGERLO!", mi ripetevano costantemente. E, alla fine, ho ceduto e devo ammettere che è stata una delle scelte più ben fatte in vita mia.

Mi affido alla mia amata recensione per lista, perché le cose da dire sono talmente tante che ho paura di scordarmene qualcuna in un lungo discorso
Em
Feb 26, 2009 Em rated it liked it
Mike (the Paladin)
Excellent book (haven't seen the movie). A youth book, I looked forward to getting the sequels and grabbed them as soon as they were available.

Dropping back to add this.

I'm surprised how different tastes can be. I really liked this book (and its sequels)and was very surprised to see the negative reviews. I didn't find the book ever dragged and while I did find the characters annoying at times, it was within the context of the story and not as "annoyingly written characters".

For a youth book I'd
Michelle
Oct 17, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Hoo boy did I love this novel. Firstly, it's a book about books and the people who love them. You really can't go wrong starting from there.

For a young adult novel, it has several interesting quirks. Maybe it's because I'm used to reading about American and British heroes and heroines in my YA novels, and this book is translated from the German, but it was a nice change to have a different setting ... from what I could tell, this book takes place mostly in Italy.

And it avoids many of the conven
Angigames
3 stelle e mezzo
Avevo aspettative altissime per questo libro, tutti lo acclamano, tutti lo amano, tutti lo portano nel cuore. Beh… ecco che mi tocca, di nuovo, il ruolo di pecora nera che va controcorrente!
Anche se non mi è affatto dispiaciuto, tutto sommato.
Questo libro è molto bello. L’idea di un libro in un libro è geniale! È un racconto pieno di magia e avventura, un racconto che ogni ragazzino che si approccia alla lettura e al Fantasy dovrebbe leggere. Ammetto che la Funke ha tratteggiato
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 16, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
I can't say that I've ever read a book like this one before, and the idea of a power that allows people to bring fictional characters to life is something that I think most authors wish they possessed. I really liked this book, at first I wasn't expecting much from it but it turned out to be phenomenal.
Sesana
Apr 13, 2014 Sesana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Sadly, I found this book underwhelming. Maybe if I hadn't been hearing about it for years before picking it up, or maybe if I'd read it at the target age, it would have gone over better. But I found the main character, Meggie, dull and lacking in initiative. In fact, most of the characters on the "good" side felt passive and slow on the uptake. To make matters worse, the supposedly horrible villain, Capricorn, was boring. In real life, he would actually be quite an imposing figure, but in a book ...more
Ankita ***************************************
This book was the best book ever! It reminds me of when I thought I could go into a book by jumping into it (I got that idea from Blues Clues, hey, you can't blame me for being immature!)I literally jumped into one of those encyclopedias (I was looking at the pictures)and ended up getting my mom really mad at me...
Inkheart, however, casts an enchantment upon you that really does pull you into the book to follow Meggie and her friends on a quest to attempt to defeat Capricorn.
Though Inkheart tak
YA Buddy Readers'...: Inkheart (Inkworld #1) By Cornelia Funke - Starting July 19th 2016 17 11 Jul 26, 2016 09:03AM
Drop Everything A...: Inkeart 4 42 Jul 04, 2016 08:39AM
Around the Year i...: Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke 4 21 Mar 21, 2016 08:16AM
Theme Projects 2016: Jaclyn's project 2 5 Feb 03, 2016 09:29PM
  • Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, 0.5)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • Pirates!
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Grim Tuesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #2)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • Raven Rise (Pendragon, #9)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3)
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.
More about Cornelia Funke...

Inkworld (3 books)
  • Inkspell (Inkworld, #2)
  • Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)

70 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.” 2604 likes
“If you take a book with you on a journey," Mo had said when he put the first one in her box, "an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it. It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in that place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it... yes, books are like flypaper—memories cling to the printed page better than anything else.” 2039 likes