Start by marking “Pump Six and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Pump Six and Other Stories

Pump Six and Other Stories (Pump Six and Other Stories)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,535 Ratings  ·  680 Reviews
Paolo Bacigalupi's debut collection demonstrates the power and reach of the science fiction short story. Social criticism, political parable, and environmental advocacy lie at the center of Paolo's work. Each of the stories herein is at once a warning, and a celebration of the tragic comedy of the human experience.
The eleven stories in Pump Six represent the best Paolo's w
Published February 1st 2008 by Night Shade Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pump Six and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pump Six and Other Stories

Stephen
Besides brilliant, inventive and superb, the best way to describe Paolo Bacigulupi’s collection of short fiction is: G…R…I…M! Do not go into PB’s work looking for gumdrops and teddy bears, because his stories will bludgeon your mood until your happy is a bruised, battered mess. Still, this is one emotional spanking you will love, because Bacigalupi's prose contains some of the most colorful, intensely unique imagery being produced in SF.

The stories in Pump Six, almost without exception, concern
Nataliya
Bleak. Overwhelmingly bleak. To the point where it sucks out all the happiness out of you, leaving you hollow and unsettled.

Memorable. To the point where it feels as if it's crawling under your skin to stay with you for a very long time.

If you have read The Windup Girl, the worlds that Bacigalupi creates in this collection of short stories - the themes, the mood, the settings - will be quite familiar to you. Two of the stories here, actually, are set in the same world as that novel, and one of t
Tatiana
It took me a loooong time to get through this book, and not because it wasn't good, but because I was bloody scared of it. I would finish one story looking like this @.@ and then put the book aside for a while to get some courage to read another one.

Bacigalupi is the author who doesn't do safe and comforting. His visions of our future are brutal, unforgiving and totally too believable.

Let's take The Fluited Girl - for me the scariest story in this anthology. The idea Bacigalupi extrapolates her
Penny
This collection of short stories paints a very bleak picture of the future that I found quite disturbing. This is without doubt the darkest book I've ever read.

At first I was finding these stories so depressing and uncomfortable that I tried to take a break from them. I found that I couldn't. Perhaps they suit my current mood, but I felt that once I had a taste of this depth I couldn't stay away.

I didn't love every story in equal measure, but each one sent a shock up my spine and gave an insig
Catie
This volume makes me remember how much I love short stories. I love how they sneak up and punch you right in the eye, then leave abruptly without even explaining themselves. They don’t have much time, so they have to be blunt. I can really appreciate that.

I won’t summarize all of the stories, but they are all intense. They are all set in not so distant futures, but are all chillingly related to present day events. The calamities taking place in these stories are exaggerated (a bit), but what’s u
Carol.
A complete slog. Why? Because Paolo writes about the inglorious in humanity with clear eyes and precise language. I'm reminded of a line: he'll show you your own heart in such a way that you would rip it out.

The Fluted Girls: disturbing view of a dystopia. disturbing view of sexuality.
The People of Sand and Slag: silicon-based people might have lost a little of humanity, but they feel it echo after they find a dog.
Evgeny
Jul 08, 2013 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is a collection of short sci-fi stories with most of them set in near future dystopia. The stories are very good, but depressing. I mean, 1984 type depressing. What really got me when I read this book is that none of the future possibilities described are not unlikely to happen, just like 1984 which I already mentioned. In fact, I would recommend reading this book to people just to see the possible directions we are happily going in. I also found last several stories to be very disturbing i ...more
Christy
Oct 24, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Paolo Bacigalupi's collection of short stories deals primarily with environmental and bioethics issues: the politics of food (“The Calorie Man”); water management (“The Tamarisk Hunter”); waste management (“Pump Six”); de-evolution (also “Pump Six”); and the manipulation of bodies, whether for entertainment or for longevity (“The Fluted Girl,” “The Pop Squad,” and “The People of Sand and Slag”).

All but "Softer," a meditative story of a man who kills his wife and the way he deals with it, are ne
Jason
Jan 03, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories is a harbinger, I think, of the direction science fiction will continue to take in the 21st century, and Bacigalupi will likely be remembered as one of its guiding forces. Call it biopunk, or environmental science fiction, or maybe it already has a name - either way, it is literature that deals directly with humanity's current methods of organizing itself, and what effect those methods will have on the planet and on itself. But it's not just that. Bacigalupi is also a ...more
Stefan
Paolo Bacigalupi burst onto the scene in a big way with his excellent SF novel The Windup Girl, which rightfully won both glowing reviews and major awards, and followed it up with a great YA novel, Ship Breaker. Both books are set in near-future dystopian settings in which the ruined environment plays a big role. Given all of this, it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that Paolo Bacigalupi’s first collection of short stories, Pump Six and Other Stories, is 1) also excellent and 2) continues the t ...more
Carlos
Jan 16, 2013 Carlos rated it liked it
No conecto con Bacigalupi. Le reconozco imaginación en la creación del entorno, con la capacidad para bosquejar una disto pía verosímil en pocas páginas. Le reconozco capacidad para sumergirte en un entorno sucio donde la vida se ha convertido en supervivencia. No le falta habilidad para darte un retrato seco con economía de palabras y llevar el relato.

Pero creo que se deshincha en historias que no están a la altura de su entorno, en el que se difuminan. En cierto sentido es como hacer una histo
Lightreads
Jan 28, 2010 Lightreads rated it really liked it
Specfic collection, with a tilt towards smart, scary near-future dystopias. People keep comparing him to Ted Chiang. It's accurate in that they're both really good short storyists, but Bacigalupi is doing fundamentally different things than Chiang does. These stories stress-test individual pieces of what we think of as our normal infrastructure – safe drinking water, reproduction, renewable food sources. A few selections, with links to the stories where available online. I recommend the whole co ...more
Nicholas Karpuk
Sep 13, 2013 Nicholas Karpuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've avoided short story collections for quite a while. My general glib answer is that by the time I'm invested in the characters, the story is over.

After reading a few really quality short story collections lately, I've reevaluated that stance. My real problem is distrust.

You have to trust that the editor, or in this case the writer, have good taste and vision when they pick what's placed within the collection. When it's a single writer's stories this becomes much easier.

Investment comes quickl
David
None of the stories in this collection were bad, and some I would rate 4 or even 4.5 stars individually, but nothing really impressed me like the The Windup Girl did. I think my greatest disappointment was the similarity of all the themes: Bacigalupi writes dystopian stories about humanity's greed and selfishness and environmental devastation, and that's all he writes about. Two of the stories in Pump Six are from the same world as The Windup Girl, and most of the others easily could be. He's a ...more
Jonfaith
After pawing through the first story in Pump Six, I imagined it would constitute serial penalty kicks for the grim master. Having just completed the final, titular story, I found Bacigalupi less-than-Lampard but still able to fill the net. Maybe I'm a poor keeper.

Shoving aside my aversions to both stories and matters that involve outer space, I was certainly moved by the philosophy of the collection as a whole. We perceive these threats in our trends our habits, our waste. We don't dare ponder
J.P.
Aug 08, 2011 J.P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A fantastic collection of stories but heavy on the dark and gloomy. Simular to the theme you'll find in The Windup Girl. Makes most dystopian stories seem like a picnic in the park with crumpets and ladyfingers by comparison. Be that as it may, it's outstanding.
Jeanette (jema)
This one was a surprise to me. I must say I didn't expect much when I bought it but it was the months book over at the sci-fi and fantasy book club here at GR and I had some money over from x-mas.
I knew he had written The Windup girl, but I kinda thought that was some steampunk novel.
I was wrong. Some of the stories in this collection takes place in the same world as that novel (that I haven't read yet but will - soon)
It is a bleak dystopia where humanity is stripped of what makes us human.

Whil
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
If you're not a fan of the well-thought-out dystopia, this book is not for you. These stories are grim. Set in worlds where the oil has run out, chemical buildup causes massive birth defects, and worse, these are the cautionary tales that give environmentalists nightmares. At the same time, they're lyrical, rewarding, and for all that they play with world-shaking cataclysms, focus on the best of stubborn, resilient humanity.

For fans of The Windup Girl, there are two stories here from that univer
Kat  Hooper
Jan 11, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

In Pump Six and Other Stories, which won the Locus Award for Best Collection, Paolo Bacigalupi treats us to these ten excellently written biopunk stories:

"Pocketful of Dharma" (1999) — a young street urchin finds a digital storage device which contains some startling data. This is Bacigalupi’s first short story — and it’s impressive. I love the premise of this story and its ambiguous ending. It would be fun to see Bacigalupi extend this one into a novel.

"T
Bee
Jul 16, 2015 Bee rated it it was amazing
Dark, perverted, imaginative and acutely descriptive of our darker nature. Every story caught and kept me until it's twisted ending. He definitely is a talented writer. And a great story teller. But a bit psycho and probably not a particularly nice person. Which makes for perfectly willing suspension if belive. Guest stars include the 15th Dalai Lama, a priesthood that keeps us from developing disastrous tech too quickly, a sociopathic husband making Peace with his wife's murder. Debauchery is a ...more
Jo Ann
Normally short stories leave me rather cold. I guess it's because they always seem to have these dead-end endings. You know what I'm talking about, where the author doesn't seem to understand that just because it's a short, it doesn't deserve a proper conclusion. Bacigalupi's writing style is different, his stories have a way of leaving you feeling satisfied and disturbingly creeped-out at the same time.

This anthology is a collection of apocalyptic nightmares, except for two. We are shown futur
Edwin Priest
The more I think about this book after finishing it, the more it keeps growing on me.

One of the real strengths of Pump Six and Other Stories is the ability Paolo Bacigalupi has to make me squirmy and uncomfortable and to create a collection of disturbing images that just keep lingering.

Some of this is from the darkly creative worlds that he has created here that are so familiar, but at the same time so distorted and wrong, and from his ability to deftly blend what seems normal with what is moral
Mark
May 21, 2012 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This author doesn't seem to understand anything about human motives. At no point in any of the stories in this book did I come close to identifying, empathizing, or feel like I shared a genetic heritage with any character in any story.

The settings were almost well constructed, but again, they were predicated on choices by society which couldn't ever remotely occur. Beyond that, the science was bad (well, mostly non-existent, but the science which existed had all the nuance of depicting hacking o
Tim Hicks
Sep 02, 2012 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it
Wow. Harlan Ellison meets Edgar Allan Poe.
Don't read this if you're having a tough month.
Don't read this if you're squeamish.

Do read it if you enjoy finishing a short story, saying "Wow," and finding you can't start the next one till the wheels stop spinning from the previous one. You won't forget this book.

And yes, it stands apart from his others. There is overlap, but nothing is lost if you haven't read his other work.

As I read these stories of dystopian futures, I thought "of course he go
Lisabet Sarai
Nov 09, 2015 Lisabet Sarai rated it it was amazing
Paolo Bacigalupi's novel THE WIND-UP GIRL is one of the best science fiction books I've read, ever. Needless to say, I was eager to sample some of his shorter work. I was not disappointed. The stories in the PUMP SIX collection are vivid, surprising, and in many cases deeply troubling, as serious speculative fiction tends to be.

Some scifi authors imagine a single future which they revisit in all their tales. In contrast, Bacigalupi conjures a whole range of possible worlds, from the genetically
Story
Nov 16, 2014 Story rated it it was amazing
Bacigalupi's prose is inviting and warm. He does things with dialogue that lays me flat. The only thing I didn't enjoy about this collection was the tale for which the volume was named, "Pump Six." It read much like Idiocracy. "The Fluted Girl," "The Calorie Man," and "The Tamarisk Hunter" were dark gems that lingered long after I'd finished them.

This is one of those books I'm going to have a hard time not evangelizing. Oh, hell. I'm just going to evangelize it. Go read it.
This is the first book of short stories that I have ever finished. Thank you Paolo Bacigalupi for showing me that short stories can be great and that I can enjoy them as much as other people seem to.

The stories in this book were fantastic; I liked all of them although there were some that were just ok while others were firm favourites. I really do like this author's writing style, the bleak worlds he creates, the messed up characters and the interesting technologies. I would love to see more of
Erik
Aug 24, 2014 Erik rated it really liked it
This is a collection of some ten stories of varied quality (mostly high but 'softer' was terrible and should have been left out).

My two personal favorites were The Pop Squad, set in a world in which people are immortal (via a youth treatment known as rejoo) and therefore population must be strictly controlled. The narrator/protagonist is a member of the pop squad, a sort of police officer, whose job it is to enforce population control, i.e. kill children. My second favorite was The Pasho about
Sherry Roit
Feb 12, 2014 Sherry Roit rated it really liked it
Disturbing. Visceral at times. Elegant prose. Not for the faint of heart, or anyone looking for happy stories, that's for certain. Absolutely dystopian, sci-fi/cyberpunk/bio-punk, choose your favorite descriptor. Bio makes perfect sense. But it crosses into the others as well. It SHOULD disturb you. It should make you think about the grey areas of morality, particularly when faced with a completely different world than you know.

I like it for that alone. It made me consider. Think. It was differe
Ben
Feb 12, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
Much like his full novel, The Windup Girl, Bacigalupi's shorts are at once brilliant and flawed. The worlds and situations he paints are fascinating and challenging, yet his characters often seem weak, his plots mediocre, and his descriptions long-winded and tiresome.

While the titular story is one of the strongest, it features unnecessary moments of mangled, drug-addled narration that serves to present redundant information in a difficult to digest format. My other favorite story, the Fluted Gir
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Stranger Things Happen
  • Pirate Cinema
  • Zoo City
  • Signal to Noise
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Wireless
  • Cyberabad Days
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Brave New Worlds
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death #1)
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • After the End: Recent Apocalypses
  • Beyond the Rift
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
Paolo Bacigalupi’s writing has appeared in High Country News, Salon.com, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine. It has been anthologized in various “Year’s Best” collections of short science fiction and fantasy, nominated for three Nebula and five Hugo Awards, and won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for best sf short story of the year.

His debut nov
More about Paolo Bacigalupi...

“Knowledge is always two-edged. For every benefit, there is hazard. For every good, evil.” 8 likes
“Knowledge is always two-edged. For every benefit, there is hazard. For every good, evil. Carelessness and convenient solutions lead to chaos.” 3 likes