Start by marking “The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales” as Want to Read:
The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales

The Ribbajack: and Other Haunting Tales

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  565 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
New York Timesbestselling author Brian Jacques brings you six spine-tingling tales!

What if revenge were a monster of your own creation, and all you needed to summon it were enough hatred and enough imagination? Which of you would really be the monster? From vengeance monsters to haunted schools to the threat of a modern-day Medusa, New York Times bestselling author Brian
Published August 17th 2006 by Puffin (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ribbajack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ribbajack

Redwall by Brian JacquesMartin the Warrior by Brian JacquesMossflower by Brian JacquesThe Long Patrol by Brian JacquesSalamandastron by Brian Jacques
Redwall and Other Brian Jacques
25th out of 26 books — 35 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie Meyer
Awesome books
298th out of 421 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

CB
Apr 27, 2013 CB rated it it was ok
Chris Bancells

Jacques, B. (2004). The ribbajack & other curious yarns. New York: Puffin Books.

Short Story

Selection tools consulted: School Library Journal, WorldCat,

Review:

Best known for his Redwall series, Brian Jacques turns his prolific pen to a darker set of stories in this volume. Six stories wander over the course of a couple centuries, and what appears to be much of the Irish countryside. "The Ribbajack", clearly the best of the bunch, takes place at a British boarding school i
Nikki Crosby
Sep 26, 2015 Nikki Crosby rated it did not like it
I am a life long, die hard Redwall fan, but this was pretty bad. If I find a book in the horror section, I better be sleeping with the lights on that night. This wasn't even creepy, let alone scary. Any one of the Redwall books is creepier than this book. The only mildly promising story was "The Ribbajack". Had that story been added to and turned into a 167 pages there might have been something. The only other story I didn't completely struggle through was "Rosie's Pet", and it was cute, not sca ...more
Erica
Jan 02, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it
Book Talk: This collection of short stories may be by the author of Redwall, but if you're looking for cuddly animals you're looking in the wrong place. These stories mostly revolve around school-aged human youth and the creatures that do appear in the stories are anything but cuddly. If you want to find out what a Ribbajack is and what it can do, then pick up this book. I'd wait until day light to read it, though.

Rocks my Socks: These stories are wonderfully atmospheric and perfectly capture th
Reading Teen
Apr 19, 2011 Reading Teen rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a Jacques book since I finished the Redwall series. And, when you read a bunch of different stuff for over a year, you kinda start to forget certain things about certain authors that you really love. And that's kinda what happened to me; I had forgotten just how great of an author he was. Of course, I knew that Redwall was one of my favorite series and that Jacques is a great writer. But every author has a different style. From Tolkien to Rowling to Meyer, every single author has ...more
Iain
Jan 06, 2012 Iain rated it really liked it
The late Brian Jacques, Liverpool author of the "Redwall" series (begun in 1986, and ending with the posthumous release of "The Rogue Crew" in March pf 2011), should have received the world-wide acclaim that J.K. Rowling justly received for the "Harry Potter" novels two decades later. Jacques' powerful sense of narrative, his richly-developed characters, and his unerring ability to judge where to draw the line between keeping a children's story childlike, yet intelligent enough both to educate t ...more
Roy Hudson
May 11, 2012 Roy Hudson rated it really liked it
I may be jumping the gun on this one, as I have one last short story to read, but based on the first five stories alone, I can say that I enjoy the late Mr. Jacques's YA horror stories. As popular as his Redwall books are, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that this is the first of his books I've picked up, and that the only reason I bought it is that our library was selling it for $0.50 the day I went to hear Rick Yancey speak about his then-upcoming Monstrumologist sequel a couple Octobers ago. I dec ...more
Tim
Feb 17, 2015 Tim rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-1-12
The Ribbajack is a short story that follows the swashbuckling theme that Brian Jacques uses in almost all his books. The story has the feel of a folk tale and teaches a moral at the end of the story. I have always been a fan of Brian Jacques stories and this one did not disappoint me. It was a little different in its character development due to the brief nature of the story.

The tale is of a boy who is as bad as can be. The whole school is afraid of him and he dabbles in the dark arts. When some
Josiah
Oct 16, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Fate is fickle, and the company of unwilling friends short lived."

—The Ribbajack and Other Curious Yarns, P. 97

Brian Jacques has a nearly exquisite feel for the terrain of various Scottish dialectic tones, and it paints all of his novels with a unique brush. Mostly known for bringing this flair to the famed Redwall series, he has now taken his unique writing style to the telling of six scary stories for young readers (actually, this is his second such collection).
I get the feeling that thes
Jen
Jan 26, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
What a delicious romp through the imagination! Jacques never disappoints in this collection of short stories. From the titular "The Ribbajack" to the charming "Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor", I was enchanted and delighted. While a few of the stories are creepy ("A Smile and a Wave" comes to mind), all are lovely reads to enjoy on a cold, winter's night and they all contain laugh-out-loud bits of humor.
Piepie Beuttel
By the author of the Redwall series, these were a lot of fun to read! Though I didn't think they were as good as the Redwall books, I did enjoy reading this collection of stories that were not about Jacques' signature animal characters. If you want something to read on a quiet evening, then this book of scary stories is for you! My favorite was the Medusa tale, but I think Jacques put just as much thought into these yarns as he did in his Redwall collection. Fans of his work will notice some sim ...more
Naomi
Dec 24, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, y-a
Fun, sometimes unsettling stories from a master storyteller.
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
The Ribbajack & other Haunting Yarns is a book of short stories. I gave it a three because some of the short stories, I felt were lacking. But The short stories; Ribbajack, Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor, and Rosie's Pet were all very good stories. This is a great book if you have extra time on your hands and need a funny or interesting "yarn" to tide you over.
Mandi
Nov 04, 2010 Mandi rated it it was amazing
When young Archibald Smifft takes up an obsession of witchcraft and his superiors try to reform him, his imagination creates a horrific monster to take revenge on his archenemy, the Reverend Miller, and disappear with all those who try to stop him, but his evil mind is foiled by his own monster. Comes with five other strange tales that will intrigue even the most exceedingly droll hearts!
-Olivia
Nick B
Nov 27, 2007 Nick B rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens - adults
This book is a bunch of short stories put together. I really enjoyed reading this book alot.the stories where stories of monsters and ghost and stuff to sort of shake you up alttle to leave you wondering. IF you like not knowing whats comming up in a storie and haveing that great suspense then read "The Ribbajack & other curious yarns" By, Brian Jacques.
Michelle. D.
Sep 05, 2011 Michelle. D. rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
These stories were interesting... Just interesting. I don't know if I find them amusing or what, but... I know they were "interesting".
The stories aren't really horrific or scary, not even frightening at the least.
Overall, the book was fun while it lasted, not exactly worth the full price to me, but.
Sandy Enriquez
Apr 05, 2013 Sandy Enriquez rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short horror story collection for kids! Especially the Smile and Wave and even the Mystery of Huma D'Este. I originally borrowed this from the library to read with the kids I tutor, but I found myself reading it in my own spare time for the sheer thrill and enjoyment.
Cheesewheels
Oct 04, 2015 Cheesewheels rated it liked it
A mostly lighthearted romp of 6 stories. Jacques sticks mainly to myths and legends for propagation. The real highlight is his authentic and entertaining Liverpool dialogue and accents, notably on "Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor". RIP my friend.
( ☯ ) sage
I liked 2 out of 6 or 7 stories. The first and the second one were the only good ones, the rest weren't good at all. I wouldn't recommend these because, I think the other ones weren't as good, and you should've focused on the second one more too.
Aaron Cosgrove
Jul 18, 2010 Aaron Cosgrove rated it liked it
a fantastic collection of seven short stories based on mythical creatures and light horror. A delightful breath of fresh air. With several well established casts of mixed and well accented characters what bring each story to life.
Rachel
Dec 12, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ok, so I only read the first story, "The Ribbajack," which I enjoyed. Then I got two pages into the second story and lost interest. What can I say? I had other books I wanted to read, lol!
Sean
May 24, 2013 Sean rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit
Mostly variations on familiar spookies: werewolves, ghosts, mermaids, etc. The Ribbajack is original, and as a story has a bit more dash to it and the characters a bit more life.
Peyton
Sep 24, 2011 Peyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some authors are merely writers, Jacques is a true storyteller. The half-dozen tales in this book are a true delight--read this book and see a master at work.
Kimberly
Oct 22, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories by Jacques were cute. And there seemed to be a moral to each story. My favorite was "Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor.
Carolyn
Mar 31, 2009 Carolyn rated it it was ok
eh. I was on spring break and needed a book. This was all my sister could offer. I'm sure it's much better suited to the 5th graders she teaches.
Teresa
Dec 29, 2009 Teresa rated it liked it
These are the kind of stories i'm not used to hearing from Brian Jacques but they were wonderful, inventive and interesting. I highly recommend this.
Andrew
Feb 06, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
A bit haunting, but not too "much", so I guess the "faint-hearted" could read this book and not get "too many" chills at bedtime.
Despair Speaking
Jul 26, 2012 Despair Speaking rated it liked it
I honestly only really liked The Ribbajack... the rest were just so-so. They didn't sparkle like the Ribbajack but maybe that's just me...
Paula
Jun 11, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Six short stories of horror and suspense. British dialect might cause reading/understanding issues.
James Wallace
Apr 24, 2012 James Wallace rated it it was amazing
Brain Jacques is a great author and this book is great! filled with great stories!
Hannah
Jun 15, 2009 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Fairly dark, unlike Jacques' Redwall series. An easy quick read.
  • Dinosaur Tales
  • Vampires
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • Black Jack, Vol. 4
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • Alcestis and Other Plays
  • Turn the Other Chick (Chicks in Chainmail, #5)
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes, Volume 2
  • The Mammoth Book of Merlin
  • The Magic Shop
  • Don't Open This Book
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

“Fate is fickle, and the company of unwilling friends short lived.” 24 likes