The Angel's Command (Flying Dutchman, #2)

The Angel's Command (Flying Dutchman #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,426 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Ben and his black labrador, castaways from the legendary ghost ship Flying Dutchman, swore never to go to sea again. But fate casts them adrift once more on a French pirate ship, with two villainous sea captains--and a ghost--in pursuit.

Published 2003 by Philomel

Redwall by Brian JacquesMartin the Warrior by Brian JacquesMossflower by Brian JacquesSalamandastron by Brian JacquesThe Long Patrol by Brian Jacques
Redwall and Other Brian Jacques
21st out of 26 books — 33 voters
Plague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonStrange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Books with Angel In the Title
56th out of 161 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

David Gillis
As a child, this was my favorite book. It's clear that Brian Jacques was my favorite author as a child, but what I loved about the Flying Dutchman series that he wrote is that it took us out of the fable-styled storytelling, and grounded us more in the real world with fantasy elements thrown in. Ben and Ned are wonderful protagonists, with Ben sounding like an ordinary boy with a huge destiny as an angel, and Ned is hilarious as the faithful canine companion. The side characters in The Flying Du...more
Zack
I liked it better than the first...This is a serious book in children's wrapping. Those unused to Jaques fire-side stories may not understand the allure his books have. They are traditional in the best sense of the word: enjoyable, identifiable, and with a clear sense of right and wrong devoid (mostly) of any specific religion...the Castaway series is more Christian than his Redwall series, but not overbearingly so, and the moral lessons are universal.
Kirsten
Once again, I thought Brian Jacques did an amazing job with this book. The first part of the book was a little slow, with being on ships most of the time, but when I got to the second half when Ben and Ned met Karay and Dominic, I didn't want to stop reading. The action when they are fighting the Razan and trying to find Adamo really grabbed my attention, and I can't wait to read the last book in this trilogy.
Lauren
A worthy sequel.
Adam Wilson
The Angel's Command, like the first book in the Flying Dutchman series, started out as a five star read, held its own for half the book, and then suddenly changed the point of the book. It felt like two novellas containing the same two main characters stapled back to back with nothing much else holding them together. I like that Jacques made this a full-length novel, but my biggest problem with it was the drastic change at the half-way mark. I think that if books are going to do this, they shoul...more
Kathryn
Let's get one thing strait; I love Brian Jacques. As in LOVE. And when you love something or someone, you tend to be pretty forgiving of its/their faults. That being said, I really didn't enjoy this book or it's predecessor Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, nearly as much as I enjoy Jacques' Redwall series. It seems as if, in this series, all the faults present in the Redwall books have been magnified. One of the big problems in this one is the lack of a real sense of peril. The villains are so...more
April Brown
What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up.

Length? – Several day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, real world.

Written approximately? – 2003.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – So much dialect and regional speak that in several places I had no idea what was happening. It seriously slowed the plot and made comprehension difficult.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: This is again two st...more
Elise
Okay, so I reread this a couple days ago and had to take it down a couple stars. What really kills me is the fact that the characters are all flatter than my online chemistry textbook. They're all either "good" or "bad," when the reality is that no one can be just good or bad— maybe too much Speaker of the Dead influence?

The second problem is that Jacques goes straight ahead and kills people off. Not necessarily bad except that few characters (who died) had real personalities and depth. So it's...more
Stephen
The story was great,This was like 'Pirates of the Caribbean', plenty of adventure and some gory bits too. The characters have already worked their way into your heart from the first book, but this one is even better. It is a little darker and though written for children, will appeal to many older readers who seek adventure on the high seas. Jacques description of the beef on the spit at the beginning is enough to draw you in and make your mouth water. Not much more to say, but this is written we...more
Abby
Once more, Jacques proved to be an excellent storyteller. The characters are so compelling. I love Ben and Ned! The story is somewhat fractured, with the first and second parts having seemingly nothing to do with each other. But everything in the story has a reason and a purpose, and everything comes together quite nicely in some unexpected ways. Jacques is able to make many things conclude perfectly without seeming contrived. The sdventures of the boy and his dog may go on forever, but I wonder...more
Raygina
I liked this one better than the first.
Marc Secchia
Brian Jacques is a great storyteller. Absolutely love his Redwall series. I struggled to identify with the main protagonist in this story however
and that's the only reason I didn't go with a 5. The dog was more entertaining than the boy I felt... and the two parts of the book seemed somewhat clumsily mashed together. Overall? A solid read with signature Jacques humour and a fine companion for a rainy day.
Angela
Sep 05, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature young readers and anyone else
Second in the Dutchman series finds the boy and his dog still travelling the world at the Angel's Command. They solve another mystery and save more innocents in a sadder tale than the first installment. There are more philosophical elements in this novel since the boy finds someone to love but must leave her when the Angel tells him to go. Another great one to listen to on audio.
Bradley
I have been avoiding his Redwall series because talking animals seemed cheesy. Here is a different series so I that I would give his storytelling a try. I loved the pirate tale at the beginning. Very cool stuff. The dog was really interesting too. Overall, not too bad. Better than I was expecting. Not for me but well-written nevertheless. =)
Elaine
I had this during my sophomore year when we were required to have this for our book report. It didn't cross my mind that I'll be loving this book. This is one of my favorites. An immortal child with his talking dog as his best friend... This book gave me adventure. Oh gosh, reminiscing it all makes me want to re-read it again :)
Evan
Dec 05, 2007 Evan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERY ONE
this book is one of the best books I've ever read. The angles command is the squel to the story castaways of the flying dutchman. This book picks up the story about 100 years later with Ben and his dog Den.Ben and Den are also from the first book but they were made imortal by an angle that struck down the flyind dutchman and its crew.
again with Brian Jacques, you cannot help but be drawn in and hooked on his writing. i think when i first read this book, i rushed it and did not appreciate it. this time however, i took my time and was able to absorb the details. i am very much looking forward to reading the final book in this series.
Amy
Nov 24, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy people
Shelves: swashbuckling
This book is #2 in Jaques' new series, and it's cool.
Ben and Ned thought they would never go to sea again, but they do, with Raphael Thuron. After many adventures with him, the duo travel inland to battle against the Razan, who frankly sound creepy. Ben and Ned end up near the sea for the end. Good book!
7thai_veronica
I think this was better than the prequel. Although the plotline is pretty predictable, I still enjoyed the book. Ben and Ned face great danger to bring happiness to two other people. They are aided by a group of friends. Although this book has some religious ties, it doesnt take over the entire book.
Bethany
I'm fairly certain that I made it through this book. It sort of left off where The Flying Dutchman stopped in terms of how bored I was while trying to read it. It's an interesting story and I really don't want to say anything bad about it, but for whatever reason it just didn't work for me at all.
Bekah
My second ever Brian Jacques book...and it won't be my last. The story is divided in two parts, the first part being a rollicking swashbuckling adventure, with a rather bittersweet ending. The second part picks up right where the first one leaves off, and is a fun twisting adventure.
Andy
Part of a new young adult series by the author of the Redwall Series. I picked it up primarily because the Redwall series was far and away my favorite set of books when i was younger, and I enjoyed reading this and the other books in the new series.
Thor
I personally love sea adventure stories and I loved this series. The relationship between the boy and his dog is something to marvel at as they travel through the ages. And I enjoyed how the boy and his dog helped people on their journies. good read :)
Ley
Ohmigoodness I can not tell you how many times I've re-read this book. I should have bought a hard back version because my paperback is starting to really look bad! LOL This book is DEFINATLY my favorite out of the three book series.
Bertrand Brasil
“Empolgante como uma boa luta de espadas!” (Barnes & Noble)

“Como em todos os seus romances, Jacques evoca um mundo plenamente realizado e colorido e preenche as páginas com bastante criatividade.” (Publishers Weekly)
Ellen
Disappointing after how much I liked the first book of the series, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman. Read the first book. Skip this one. The plot is just too disjointed and the book doesn't hold together.
Thera
My rating says it all. The book was entertaining, alot more developed than the first, and quite hair-raising in places. I found it amazing that Ben still had those dreams about the Dutchman... riveting.
Emma the Dork
very good action, fast paced, and humorous. loved it. but i gotta say, it makes the main characters (ben and ned) seem really cold hearted and inhuman when they just ditch everything like that. but still good.
Tabi {Don't think~Just write~Tell a story}
I liked this one much better than the first. I guess the story was more engaging, instead of the riddles the first book had, that one seemed a lot like Redwall. Whole new story here though, very interesting.
Jessica
I didn't like this as much as the Flying Dutchman, it contains 2 different stories in a regular size book, so I don't think they were as well developed as they could have been, but it is still quite good!
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy #2)
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • Tears of a Dragon (Dragons in Our Midst, #4)
  • Rise of the Dibor
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadows on the Stars (The Great Tree of Avalon, #2)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh...more
More about Brian Jacques...
Mossflower (Redwall, #2) Redwall (Redwall, #1) Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6) Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)