Start by marking “How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies” as Want to Read:
How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies

How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Mourning the death of a loved one is a processall of us will go through at one time or another.But wherever the death is sudden or anticipated,few of us are prepared for it or for the grief itbrings. There is no right or wrong way to grieve;each person's response to loss will be different.Now, in this compassionate, comprehensive guide,Therese A. Rando, Ph.D., bereavement ...more
Published July 18th 1991 by Bantam (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies

Cindy
Dec 28, 2009 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those suffering any kind of loss
Shelves: booksforhealing
Mar/ 2009 Just started this book and do think it holds potential. It isn't specific on a kind of death but I think the authors loss of both parents in a short time period does contribute to the reason for it.

Update: I put the book down and started to read another and recently started it, again.
I have reset the date and am starting the book over, again. May skip a little that I remember...

This book is full of a lot of information and it tells it like it is. Suggestions are included on what to do
Paula
Many of the chapters of this are relevant and helpful to people who are grieving. I've used sections of it directly with participants in grief support groups.
Tiffany G
This was helpful, though not quite what the title described. I'd say about 2/3 of the book was describing what grief feels like, what the parts of it are, different types of grief, etc. That part was particularly helpful because it was good to know that there are precedents. Only the last 1/3 was actually "how to" kinds of information, and much of that was very general. The book is also rather dated, and it mentions a lot of old-fashioned gender role stuff - e.g. women will need to learn car rep ...more
David
This was a well written text and has some incredible insight into the world of grieving. Even though we all grieve differently, Rando touches on some really nice topics that can help the counselor to the griever. I found it best to read this book as a resource. I would recommend picking the topic that interest you from the contents page and go from there.
Annette Reynolds
Well-researched, helpful book for those in need of help and validation for what they're going through in their grief.

The author's style can be a bit clinical, but I'd still recommend this book to anyone dealing with present or past loss.
Karla
The psychological aspects of grieving. The central message is, "It is okay to grieve your way, just do it so you can move on." This book was very helpful to me when my husband died. I have purchased copies to give to friends.
Beth
This is a wonderful book for someone who is grieving a loss. It is accessible and not full of bereavement theory. I've given a copy to several people when helping them through grief.
J.
Excellent book - covers seemingly every possible scenario, not one wasted word, tremendous clarity, very helpful. Wish I didn't have a reason to read it.
Anna
I think I learned more about grief reading this as opposed to help grieving.
Jessica
the section about holidays and traditions was especially helpful
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 152.4 RAN

A gift of Beverly STURM.

Available.
Devon
read like a text-book, not many stories or anecdotes
Nathaniel Smith
This book is amazing! I strong recommend this book.
Tc
One of the best books on grieving ever!
Rose
Excellent.
Anne
Anne is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2014
Jpro
Jpro is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2014
Noorilhuda
Noorilhuda marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Kenzie Lyn
Kenzie Lyn marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Renee Roberts
Renee Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Deb
Deb is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2014
Tom Harrington
Tom Harrington is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Sarah Dickie
Sarah Dickie is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Sarah Middleditch
Sarah Middleditch marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing after the Sudden Death of a Loved-One
  • The Art of Living Joyfully: How to be Happier Every Day of the Year
  • No Time to Say Goodbye: Surviving the Suicide of a Loved One
  • Grave Matters: A Journey Through the Modern Funeral Industry to a Natural Way of Burial
  • Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief
  • Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace
  • Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
  • Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry
  • Murambi, The Book of Bones
  • How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life: Opening Your Heart to Confidence, Intimacy, and Joy
  • Grace, Under Pressure: A Girl with Asperger's and Her Marathon Mom
  • Slamming Open the Door
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • How We Live
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • The Wisdom We're Born With: Restoring Our Faith in Ourselves
Grief, Dying, and Death: Clinical Interventions for Caregivers Treatment of Complicated Mourning Parental Loss of a Child Loss and Anticipatory Grief Treating Traumatic Bereavement: A Practitioner's Guide