The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)

The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,868 ratings  ·  104 reviews
The Go Getter is the story of William Peck.He was a war veteran and amputee who will not be refused what he wants. Peck not only fights to find employment but continually proves himself more than competent at the many difficult test that are throw his way in the course of his early days with the Ricks Lumber Company...
Published October 19th 2006 by Book Jungle (first published November 30th 1920)

Chris Munson
A very short parable (you can read it during your lunch hour) on how a young unemployed veteran is handed the opportunity to take his career to the top (if he succeeds) or go down in flames and ruin his career (if he fails). The book runs along the lines of the "Who Moved My Cheese" approach (though it was written in the 20's) of using a short story to explain a few very basic (though powerful) principles. This book really sums up the guiding principle of consulting: Even if you aren't sure you...more
Corey Kniesel
I'm use to my mind wandering or falling asleep after 15-30min.....2hours later the book is done!

The Story Kept me engaged and wanting to hear what was next. Bill Peck Values something that I feel has been watered down and lost its value over the years, His Word. One man at a time we can Build Strength into Our Word so the Phrase "My Word Is My Bond" and the Value it Brings can Mean something once more! Starting with Me! I Commit to Myself, I Give My WORD to Myself to Become a Go Getter For Mysel...more
David Glad
For anyone who doesn't wish to buy the (audio)book, you can download this off librivox.org (volunteers who make public domain versions of audiobooks of books that have since passed into the public domain..) or the full text off Google books.

This was a very nice short story about tireless persistence and ingenuity with the primary character being a "disabled" veteran of WWI (contrasted with other lazy workers the bosses knew) who consistently beats the almost "impossible" odds stacked against him...more
Chris
Sep 18, 2012 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: i-own
My workplace gave all employees a copy of The Go Getter and encouraged us to read the book and to come up with our own "Blue Vase." There was also apparently a short story by P.G. Wodehouse of the same name and so to avoid confusion I found a couple of places that referenced this book by Kyne as Winning the Blue Vase. Other versions add the (original?) subtitle "A Story that Tells You how to Be One."

The book is a very short read (only about 70 pages) and our edition came with an afterword of ano...more
Rob
Are you a Go-Getter? This quick read lets you know what it means to be one.
Stephanie
Finished "The Go-Getter" by Peter B. Kyne for my Management class. Even though it's required reading, I'm counting it because it's a regular book and not a textbook.

It's a quick read, however I really didn't enjoy it. The entire story focuses around doing everything that it takes to get the job done, whatever that involves. We read it as a case-study to understanding motivation. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, in case you would like to read it.

The ending may make you put down the book, and...more
Jen Prowitz
I thought it was a pretty good book. I had been reading other career books and was expecting another "manual on being excellent" sort of thing. It took me a bit before I realized the story in the beginning wasn't just a story in the beginning to illustrate something in the book. It WAS the book. However, once I got past that I was able to enjoy the story more and take in the key points highlighted by the author at the end. A quick read (and I'm not the speediest reader). I finished it in one sit...more
Alpha
I am just starting to read more non-fiction books on finance, leadership, ethics, relationships, and psychology besides just seminary-like study on my relationship with Jesus Christ. This book was featured by one of my personal heroes, Dave Ramsey. He also said this book is mandatory reading for his team. I made it mandatory for myself.

There are plenty of life lessons pertaining to being a go-getter as described in this book. I loved how physical situation was avoided because people are now pass...more
Reid
This 90 yr old story is about the contrast between managers who work at trying to do the job required and a man who flat figures out a way to solve the problem, in the face of adversity upon adversity.

Theme: being relentless, earning the trust of others by figuring out a way - being a go-getter!

"Ever since its first printing by William Randolph Hearst in 1921, The Go-Getter has inspired employees and entrepreneurs to take initiative, increase their productivity, and excel against the odds. Now,...more
Nola
May 16, 2008 Nola rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Business owners, employees, parents, spouses
Recommended to Nola by: Dave Ramsey
Although this story is told from a fictional standpoint, it is as illuminating as any nonfiction book on sales I have ever read. It is also short, concise, and to the point – I finished it in under two hours, at lunchtime, with four kids hanging on me. It is simple and easy to understand, which is why I gave it to my seven year old (granted, she does read at an advanced level); she may not catch the overall lessons, but I’m hoping just a little will seep into her brain.

So what is this inspirat...more
Chad
I just happened to hear about this book on the Ramsey Entreleadership podcast. Their company talks about something called "getting the blue vase" which comes out of this story.

The character in the story overcomes anything in his path to accomplish his task. There are many aspects of this that can be applied to work and life.
Shannon
This book had a very slow start, and I had to reread the first chapter several times to fully comprehend the cast of characters and the plot. Essentially, the book tells the tale of Bill Peck who is put to the test by his new employer. Peck rises to the challenge with ambition, persistence, creativity, and confidence. He overcomes numerous challenges (a few too many to feel realistic, in my opinion) but continues to act by the motto, "It shall be done." Peck is rewarded for his go-getter spirit....more
Shikha
A nice brief read. The next time you got to or want to do something, tell yourself: "It shall be done," and everything else becomes a mere detail, you achieve what you wanted to achieve. Makes sense.
Shannon
A very short story about a lumber company and the ways of testing a man's ability to perform. I found the last test to be rather abusive and mean, and while I understood it as a way of seeing just how far someone would go when given a direct order, I found the fact that Cappy found amusement in pushing a guy this far a bit mean.
Brian Duchek
Refreshing little story, and the colloquialisms are charming from the period. The message shines clearly through. You don't see tales like this today. I'm guessing the Internet is mostly to blame.
Viraj
Mar 02, 2013 Viraj rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Folks who need to be "go getter"
Shelves: self-help
It tells a story of a company in which the chief has two sub-chiefs. They hire a person who is a disabled veteran. It is quite inspirational to read how he first does a great job as a sales man and then is able to get a blue-vase for the chief by going above and beyond the expectations. He is thus entrusted with an assignment to lead Shanghai office.
Good: Inspirational, makes one think; especially since the veteran is disabled. Die hard attitude.
Not so good: The language used is sometimes diff...more
Joseph
A great short story that speaks to all of us. You do what must be done in the face of aversity.
John
not my idea of anything being close to inspiring or motivational or whatever
Ram Kumar Lanka
This book is a nice book to read how we should think and conduct ourselves in an office environment. It gets across the message of entrepreneurs and what exactly they look for in employees. A non negotiable urge by the chosen employee to deliver and do every thing possible to deliver is the need of the hour in corporate world. And it also gives clues on how to be a successful professional in life. A great book told as a simple to understand story. I have given this book to lot of my colleagues w...more
Mindaugas Vilius
Amazing story about life difficulties
Andrew
Quick and painless.
Angie
A friend suggested I read this little book on account that I am in sales as a real estate agent.

She buys them for all of her down-line and feels it is very motivational.

I have to say that it really didn't motivate me much at all. Originally written in 1921, I definitely got the idea of the story, but there are many more books out today that will motivate a person more.

I will say that it is a very short read and I am glad I read it.

Give it a try and see for yourself!
James
I had heard about the book from the entreleadership podcast so I wanted to check it out. It was worth it. Everyone has challenges, some people just push harder through theirs than others. It gave meaning to "This is a blue vase kind of situation".
Daron
This good, quick read, serves as a reminder for any of us who get in a rut of just getting by while doing as little as possible. It is a short parable about getting the job done, no matter what it takes, and not letting doubt or fear dissuade you from accomplishing what you've set out to accomplish. "It shall be done" leaves no room for rationalization or justification for failing to complete a task, no matter how big or small.
Ben Zajdel
The overall message of this book is good, and something that a lot of people should learn. Don't let obstacles stop you from your goal, even if it means you have to go the extra mile. The only problem I had was with the 1920's language that permeates this book. I literally did not understand some of the dialogue, and the main character has a tendency to utter the phrase "By the Holy Pink-toed Prophet!" I don't know what that means.
Eric
My dad gave me a copy of this book when I was ten. I didn't really understand it then.

I re-read The Go Getter every few years, whenever I'm feeling burned out, or when I am feeling bad about myself because I know I'm not giving my best effort. This book always helps me dust myself off and get moving forward again.

Everyone should own a copy. You can bet I will be buying copies for my kids when they are 10, too.
Elisabeth Sepulveda
Quick, 20 minute read with a message that sticks. Persistence and a "Can-do" attitude can make the "impossible" possible. Sounds cliche, but this perspective is what genuinely separates those who achieve from those who don't. I have a feeling the image conveyed in this book will stick with me in times I think "it's impossible" and will fuel continued persistence in times when people would think quitting is justified.
Jen
It's a little book with a lot of inspiration. First published in 1921, Kyne's fable about Mr. Peck illustrates the value of never quitting and completing your goals. While the tale is told simply and without a lot of flowery language, the message itself is entirely worth the hour or so it took me to read. It's only a little over 80 pages long, and the print is large!
Mary
Wonderful read. I found myself suddenly laughing aloud at more than one point, which was nearly as delightful as the lessons imparted. I recommend picking up the copy with the foreword by Dave Ramsey; it also has an afterword that unpacks some of the messages that I found insightful and encouraging - even a bit convicting at points, which I appreciated.
Shawn Jorgenson
As has been noted already, the language of the time this was published is a bit tough for a quick read, although few in pages. It does become more readable in the second half when the task of acquiring the vase comes into play. This is where you really see the story elements of rising action, struggle, climax, and falling action. Overall, a great read.
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • See You at the Top
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny
12009
Peter Bernard Kyne was an American novelist who wrote between 1904 and 1940. Many of his works were adapted into screenplays starting in the silent era, particularly his first novel, The Three Godfathers, which was published in 1913 and proved to be a huge success. He is credited in 110 films between 1914 and 1952.

When still under 18, he lied about his age and enlisted in Company L, 14th U.S. Infa...more
More about Peter B. Kyne...
The Valley of the Giants Cappy Ricks: The Subjugation of Matt Peasley Jarron Azul. El. Book: The Blue Vase. Book The Enchanted Hill The Three Godfathers