Start by marking “The Love Languages of God” as Want to Read:
The Love Languages of God

The Love Languages of God

This is the book Gary Chapman was born to write...the one Chapman title Everyone should read, Christian and non-Christian alike. The best-selling author of The Five Love Languages books, Dr. Chapman says, "The purpose of this book is to help people enjoy living, and have peace about dying. To love and be loved, what could be more important?"Once you discover your primary l ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Northfield Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Languages of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Languages of God

Linda
Oct 05, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary Chapman first wrote thThe FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES the book that explains how we love others. I have gained a parcel of wisdom from reading this book. He goes on to write the LOVE LANGUAGES OF CHILDREN then THE LOVE LANGUAGES OF TEENAGERS. Now comes a book that will affirm your love language as well as acknowlege you communication with GOD. The same love language you speak most often to others will be the one God uses with you. A short, wonderful read!
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, 2009
This is my second love languages book. The first one I read was the one aimed at parents. That book changed the way i viewed relationships and I have applied the concept with great success since then. The idea that this would apply not just to human relationships, but our relationship with the divine intrigued me as well.
This book did not disappoint. Self-knowledge is not one of my strengths and I still had not figured out what my primary love language was. Now I know, It is Physical Touch. Thi
Jo
Jul 03, 2010 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Five Love Languages about seven years ago. It was inspiring and thought-provoking and affected my life in that knowing my love language and finding out that of my love's helped make our relationship stronger. Now Chapman wants to do that with our relationship with God. His theory is that God speaks all five love languages and speaks to us in our own love language, and we worship Him best in our primary love language as well -- although we should branch out and learn to worship him in ...more
Easton
Mar 11, 2012 Easton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was definitely more of a slow read than the original. I couldn't bring myself to read it often and usually only on Sunday. However, there were some good insights, illustrations and stories. The point was that even though we have a primary love language that we use and works best if used on us, God loves us in all five love languages. Our primary for others is usually our primary for loving God. I suppose I show love to God by my acts of service to others and through my obedience to His will. ...more
Karen
Nov 20, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of several books by the author explaining his idea of how love is expressed -- thru words of affirmation, acts of service, physical touch, quality time, and gifts. I understand where he comes up with his ideas, but I don't agree with some of the finer points of his explanations. It's a book that is "reader friendly" and will not offend those who read and do not consider themselves Christians. I think it may verge on the edge of coming up with a concept and finding scripture to suppor ...more
Heather
It was good but not GREAT. I had a few "Ahhh-haaa" moments with things I had never thought about before. I really wish I had read the original 5 Love Languages book first, but I couldn't get my hands on a copy in time for book club. I think the author is a good story teller and it kept my interest. However, I didn't finish the book -- I simply ran out of time before it was due back at the library, but I got the main points and it will forever change how I look and think about MY relationship wit ...more
Jenny
May 30, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book help me find my own love language better than the first book of his that I read. It also showed me my how my children each have a different love language. I loved how it connected me more with God also. Here I was reading this during one of the most difficult of times, as I struggled with my oldest.

Such a blessing to me that I happened on to this book during one of my weekly visits to the library.
Reinhard
Nov 27, 2012 Reinhard rated it liked it
Finished reading The Love Languages of God by Gary Chapman. This was a book that described how we show our love to God and others and how God shows his love to us. It talks the five primary love languages, but I have yet to figure out mine. My wife thinks it is touch. I think it could be words of encouragement or quality time. I have no idea. For my wife, it is gifts. I need to do a better job in speaking her love language.
Angel
Jan 29, 2016 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this series. Realizing that people have love languges made a HUGE diffrence in how i think and feeling loved. It helped in realizing why my salvation expierence wasn't a huge emotional thing either...i'm Quality Time so finding God for me had more to do with study and gathering knowledge.
Brilliant book!
Julie
Aug 17, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, great for any kind of relationship
Recommended to Julie by: friend
I've re-read this book. Read it when it first came out, but didn't remember much. It's a great book, and everything is sticking this time in my brain. If you learn, understand, and apply your family and friends' love language it will take your relationships to a new level! I highly recommend this book.
Nathan Marchand
Feb 09, 2015 Nathan Marchand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than I expected. Chapman effectively illustrates how God uses the five love languages to relate to humans. I've read several of Chapman's other books on the five languages, but I had my doubts he could effectively explain how all of them are used by God. For the most part, he succeeds, and it has given me some insights into my own relationship with Him.
Bethany
May 24, 2011 Bethany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing earth-shattering. Especially if you've read any of his other books. I feel like there was a lot of redundancy and that some of his examples broke down. I'm glad I listened to the audio version.
Amy Jo
Jul 05, 2014 Amy Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peps, favorites
Enjoyed the book. Although it's the same love language message it really gave me new perspective on my relationship with God, how we each experience him in our own way. It's a keeper for me and will read it again
Jeanette
Apr 18, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent. Inspirational. There are cultural religions in all parts of the world--they practice what they learned from their elders and society. A "Christian" without the 'God Connection' is a shackle of Satan, inoculated by his/her culture from truly seeking God and connecting with Him.
Carol
May 30, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book: how different people worship God in their love language. I liked how Gary Chapman encouraged us to feel/experience God's love in not just our primary love language. Great principles!
Christina Sidaras
This made me understand different styles of worship and made me more in touch with how personal a relationship with Christ really is.
Stephanie Blake
Aug 18, 2010 Stephanie Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary Chapman is well known for his "Love Language" books. I especially enjoyed this one, which put the emphasis on how God loves us.
Lizzy B
An encouraging and thouroughly biblical exposition of the five love languages idea. Truly brilliant for understanding God and human relationships. Accesible, simple and insightful.
Angela
Mar 05, 2007 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I liked the 5 Love Languages (with the purple cover) much more than this one. I don't know why, but this edition didn't appeal to me very much at all.
Abbye
Mar 08, 2008 Abbye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who wish to learn how to communicate with God more effectively
This is a follow up to Chapman's 'Five Love Languages', and like that book is also very accessible and easy to read.
Kristin
Another case of reading two books hoping to hammer some of the principles home. I enjoyed Chapman's The Five Love Languages and decided to do a follow-up. Recommended!
Vicky
Aug 21, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot overlapped the original love languages book, but it was interesting how we love God and how we feel His love in return.
Kim
Aug 24, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book that helps to understand why people act the way that they do. It is a great tool for accepting people as they are.
Olivia
Acts of Service
Physical Touch
Melissa
Apr 27, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about how we look for love in all the wrong places and also how God shows us love in the ways that we need it; if we are willing to take the time to realize it.
Adrienna
It used the analogies as "Five Love Languages" but in reference to God. I again was a "physical touch", I feel God's presence for instance! I hear Him occasionally in my spirit...mind.
Rick
Aug 01, 2008 Rick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You need to read his opus: Five Love Languages. This is a line-extension attempt that did not work particularly well for me.
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2009
Laurie Morrison
Laurie Morrison rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What is the Point of Being a Christian?
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Study Guide: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life (A 10-Session Series for Personal Or Group Study)
  • Bibelausgaben, Die Bibel nach der Übersetzung Martin Luthers, mit Apokryphen, Neue Rechtschreibung, Schwarz (#1241)
  • Fascinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering Some Old Testament Characters
  • 52 Things Kids Need from a Mom: What Mothers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference
  • The Language of Love: How to Quickly Communicate Your Feelings and Needs
  • The Jesus I Never Knew Participant's Guide
  • Women Who Write
  • Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul's Path to God
  • In Step with God: Understanding His Ways and Plans for Your Life
Gary Chapman has traveled extensively around the world challenging couples to pursue healthy, growing marriages. His first book, Toward a Growing Marriage (Moody, 1979, 1996), began as an informal resource he gave to couples with whom he was counseling. Once officially published, this book became a blessing to thousands of people and helped launch Gary’s popular “Toward a Growing Marriage” seminar ...more
More about Gary Chapman...