Start by marking “The Power of Giving” as Want to Read:
The Power of Giving

The Power of Giving

This accessible, down-to-earth guide teaches the invaluable lesson: the more you give, the more you have—and helps you discover the unexpected gifts you are able to offer others (beyond just money!).

When most of us think of giving, we usually think only in terms of time or money, things we would like to share but barely have enough of for ourselves. But we have far more t
Published August 14th 2008 by Tarcher (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Giving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Giving

Leo Polovets
Mar 26, 2013 Leo Polovets rated it it was ok
1) Very anecdotal.
2) A large fraction of examples and suggestions come from from religious texts and practices. I am not religious and was hoping for research-based advice, so this aspect of the book was disappointing.
3) There are some good tidbits here and there (hence 2 stars instead of 1), but overall the content is fairly straightforward and intuitive. I probably could've come up with 80% of the book's suggestions if I just sat down and brainstormed for 60 minutes.
Hestia Istiviani
Apr 14, 2016 Hestia Istiviani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read in English but this review is written in Bahasa Indonesia

Lagi-lagi pasokan buku yang aku beli harus habis di waktu yang salah. Kelabakan mencari bacaan sedikit terobati ketika iseng tengok rak buku yang ada di kantor. Eh ternyata kok ada buku yang sepertinya menarik.

Resensi Lengkapnya

Bagiku buku ini lebih dari sekedar bacaan ringan biasa. Buku ini memberikan kita pemahaman baru dan menyadarkan kita kalau berbagi bukan saja terkait uang, tetapi lebih dari itu.
Mai Tarraf
Jul 29, 2012 Mai Tarraf rated it liked it
كتاب استمتعت بقرائتة كثيرا يحدث فى بعض البديهيات ولكنه مهتم جدا بتفاصيلها ويحفز على فعلها
يتحدث عن المؤسسات الغير هادفة للربح وكيف انه واجب على كل انسان ان يتطوع فى وحدة منها حتى نؤدى حق المجتمع علينا
هناك رسالة عظيمة من الكتاب هو انه عندما تنغمس فى العطاء سيجردك من الانانية وعندما تتجرد من الانانية سوف يوصلك هذا الى ذاتك ويجعل من روحك روح متفائلة جميلة تساعد الناس وتساعد نفسها ويصبح المجتمع مجتمعا خيرا تعاونيا
امدنى بطاقة روحية جيدة جدا
bamlinden
May 22, 2015 bamlinden rated it liked it
I've been thinking a lot about the subject of giving over the past few weeks. I don't know if it's because it's "that time of year" or maybe because of what has transpired at work recently. I feel like I don't do enough and wanted to take a closer look at what I want to do and how I should do it.

This book was helpful in that respect. It's very much a common sense read with nothing overly mind blowing, it's very straight forward and easy to digest.

This book has given me ideas that I can apply i
Sori
روح الكتاب جميلة جداً وإيجابية، روح العطاء بجميع أنواعه، عطاؤك لنفسك، لعائلتك وأطفالك، لمجتمعك وللأرض قاطبة.

كان ملهماً لي في مواضع كثيرة وقصص كثيرة وعند كل قراءة يثير فيني حماسة العطاء.

يعيبه التكرار وكثرة حديث الكاتبين عن بعضهما.

تقييمي من 3.5 إلى 4

يوجد منه نسخة عربية.
Sarah Alrayes
اهم جزء قرأته هو قاعدة العشر: العطاء ب : عشر المال، عشر الوقت ، عشر الأفكار .. واخيرا تخصيص العشر أولاً لعطائك لنفسك وبعدها ستستمتع بالعطاء للاخرين ومن حولك
Aboobaker Thanveer
Feb 09, 2011 Aboobaker Thanveer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thanus
i think dis one of the tremendous book i have read, author have designed the so perfectly that could not stop turning around pages.
Khaidir
Jun 29, 2012 Khaidir rated it really liked it
Must-read! Profit from reading it. Give(share) it to everyone you love.
Paiman Chen
Aug 10, 2012 Paiman Chen rated it really liked it
The more we give, the more we get.
Seoul Nainggolan
Jan 23, 2012 Seoul Nainggolan rated it really liked it
the more you give, the more you receive
Jeff Willis
Jan 23, 2015 Jeff Willis rated it it was ok
I picked up this book on sale at Audible because it sounded interesting and this happens to be a year where I'm contemplating a significant increase in my giving habits.

WHAT I LIKED: The authors did a good job of categorizing different kinds of giving and pointing out that there's more than just a couple ways to give. Most people think charitable giving is about giving time and/or money, but the authors did a good job of pointing out additional types of giving and challenged the reader to consid
Maryammr514
Sep 25, 2012 Maryammr514 rated it liked it
The power of giving is a book that i really enjoyed reading, it is about giving, and the impact of giving on a person.
the power of giving is the strength that you get when you give anyone the simplest thing; an improve in health, relationships, and even self-satisfaction as well as happiness. this books teaches you to give with joy, and never wait for a pay back, because once you give, you get in many forms and in different times. In fact the more you give others, the more you give yourself.
the
Silas
Jan 27, 2015 Silas rated it it was ok
I got this from Audible, thinking it would give me something new to think about. It was many of the same ideas I have heard many times before rehashed, which didn't specifically emphasize religious charity, but was so clearly coming from that standpoint that it might as well have. Not adhering to an Abrahamic faith, I find the practice of tithing questionable, personally, so having so much emphasis on that idea did not endear me to this book. You may have different feelings if you do not have is ...more
Matt
Mar 13, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely phenomenal book. Its a quick read, but worth a second go around at it. The topics included in this book are great for anyone who is looking to volunteer somewhere or otherwise give back to their community. It is also great for non-profit and civic/service club leaders to gain a better understanding of how better to increase productivity, recruit more members, and better their impact of service.

If you're looking for a "gift book" for someone, here it is. It definitely is app
Justine
Sep 24, 2011 Justine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Kay Sprinkel Grace said, "The Power of Giving is an authentic, inspiring, moving and practical book about abundance, hope and the basic truth of philanthropy: the love of humankind." ....

while ... Stephen Post said, "Azim Jamal and Harvey McKinnon have outlined in practical terms the many different ways in which we can give to the world around us - and to ourselves in the process."

... and as Robin Sharma said, "Our destinies will ultimately be defined by what we give, not what we get. This power
Ray
Sep 20, 2008 Ray rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I am just starting this one. I do give to Heifer International and Kiva, through the web. I used to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity when I lived in Las Vegas. After reading the first chapter I remember why I volunteered and I am ready to get back out there here in Georgia. I contacted the local chapter here in Macon today and I can't wait to start again. I think I am blessed. When you think about it the average American probably has more than what 75-80% of the people in the world have. It e ...more
Matheus Aribowo
Mar 11, 2015 Matheus Aribowo rated it really liked it
Menunjukan bahwa hidup bukan tentang menerima sebanyak banyaknya. Bagaimana kita menerima kalau tidak memberi lebih dulu. Mengingatkan kita bahwa memberi adalah hal mulia yang berguna dan baik bagi penerima dan terlebih juga bagi sang pemberi. Dan memberi tidak hanya materi, dalam buku ini ditunjukan bahwa banyak hal yang bisa kita berikan kepada orang lain, bukan hanya hal materi atau benda. Bacalah buku ini, dan semoga semakin banyak memberi dan semakin banyak menerima berkat dari Tuhan.
K.R. Patterson
Mar 08, 2015 K.R. Patterson rated it really liked it
At first this book made me feel guilty and I didn't like it. But then I read the part about being an unhealthy giver and that you should have balance and help yourself first. That was my problem, I realized, and that was what I needed to hear. I believe what this book says is true, and in the end it changed my perspective on giving from something that was guilty and negative to something more positive and empowering.
Engy Moussa
Sep 24, 2012 Engy Moussa rated it really liked it
Give to Get.. Give to be Happy.. Give to feel Human as you get to share people's concerns, pain, worries, thoughts, and causes.
There is no limit to giving whether it is time, money, attention, love, ideas.. anything positive you give to yourself or others will definitely (إن شاء الله) make a difference and accomplish an improvement.
Giving leads to high self-esteem, confidence and prosperity as it makes one feels needed and worthy.

24/9/2012 @6am
Engy Moussa
Naomi
Aug 18, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
I enjoy encountering perspectives on generosity and generous practices that are new to me. Though Azim Jamal and Harvey McKinnon cover much of the expected ground (hey, it is necessary ground for true generosity), they also introduced me to some new ideas I plan to try. The book is structured in a way that makes it especially helpful for small groups engaging the topic of generosity, and for corporate leadership development.
Bibliomanic Marley
Feb 21, 2011 Bibliomanic Marley rated it liked it
Its pretty good for those who love to enhance their skills on giving. Azim Jamal, the author, describes in many ways, who, what when where and how to spend and invest in money, time, and energy to give to others. It is basically a guidline for those who love to practice altruism, i highly reccoment the book because its a good read to increase your capacity of giving. This book teaches the more you give, the more you get, and has some of Azims experiences of giving as well ;)
Hana Al-Maktoum
This book is a gift.
I was not expecting a reaearch-based book as others did. I knew it was more spiritual or life-coaching type of book. However, it was OK in general. The most important thing I learnt from this book is that giving has different forms, other than money and time. It made me aware of how to give differently. In other words, how much I was giving without being fully aware of that!
Amy Hardison
Feb 24, 2015 Amy Hardison rated it liked it
This was a 3 1/2 star book for me. Some parts of it were really great. Others were good reminders of things I would consider common sense. Occasionally it felt like a collection of platitudes. It is hard for me to give it only 3 1/2 stars when parts of it are so inspiring. It might be a 5 star book for someone else.
Naif Alwably
Nov 10, 2012 Naif Alwably rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

كتاب رائع جميل ربما يغير حياتك للافضل في هذا الزمن السريع المحموم لم يستطع البشر ان يجدوا السعادة في الماديات فبدأوا يفتشوا في أرواحهم عن بواعث السعادة وهذا الكتاب يكشف لك عن أعظم الأسرار التي تعيد لروحك الاستقرار والانسجام..

كنت سأقترح على المؤلفين حذف الفصل الخاص بعطاء الشركات فهو ممل ولا ينسجم مع روح الكتاب
Jeanette Johnson
Not really much new or groundbreaking here. Lots of info from sources, thinkers, and traditions (both religious and secular) which emphasize kindness & generosity toward others, so if you've done much learning already in this area, you may find this, as I did, to be true but unremarkable.
Sohail
Oct 18, 2014 Sohail rated it liked it
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
A book simply written, with full of real life examples and stories. This book broadened my view about giving, that it can be done in numerous ways, even smile is a good way to give.
Angela
Oct 09, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good solid information that lacked excitement. Hard to read cover to cover because it is very basic and I didn't feel like I was going to learn anything I didn't already know. Best take away I'll quote to others: "always do your best because your choices today build your future. "
Kristienne
May 02, 2016 Kristienne rated it it was ok
Maybe 15 years in nonprofits makes me cynical about this book...it is way too simplistic. Better suited for someone who has no idea on how to give back to others and needs someone to lay it out for them. Simply.
Mikki Shiu
May 02, 2015 Mikki Shiu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspirational book about giving to yourself and reaching out to others. I like the way they incorporated their family stories in the book. Making it a personal in some level, easy to understand and can relate to.
Rhapsodysufi Othman
Dec 16, 2013 Rhapsodysufi Othman rated it it was amazing
Giving have it own power that sometimes we can't really see it. The reward of giving is something we can't ask for, and if we get it, it is a gift from God. This book taught me that giving is a cycle of life. We never knew when we going to need from someone. So we have it, dare ourself to give it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Autobiography of a Schizophrenic Girl
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • What's Wrong With Homosexuality?
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Grit: How to Keep Going When You Want to Give Up
  • Yeah Dave's Guide to Livin' the Moment: Getting to Ecstasy Through Wine, Chocolate and Your iPod Playlist
  • The Unwritten Rules of Baseball: The Etiquette, Conventional Wisdom, and Axiomatic Codes of Our National Pastime
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time for You (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • What It Takes to Pull Me Through: Why Teenagers Get in Trouble and How Four of Them Got Out
  • The Secret Currency of Love: The Unabashed Truth About Women, Money, and Relationships
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
Azim Jamal is a leading inspirational speaker, management consultant & executive coach. He has three professional financial qualifications but made a life-changing career switch from "accounting for business" to "accounting for life" during a soul-stirring experience while volunteering in the developing world. Azim is the author of several books including The Corporate Sufi™ and # 1 Amazon bes ...more
More about Azim Jamal...