Start by marking “The Complete Butcher's Tales” as Want to Read:
The Complete Butcher's Tales

The Complete Butcher's Tales

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In the fantastic tradition of Borges, Bruno Schulz, Angela Carter, and H. P. Lovecraft, here are nearly sixty unforgettable stories that ignore the confines of space and time to offer, among other times and places: a cabinet of curiosities in contemporary Cairo, an alvhemical ceiling in 18th-century Naples, the hallucinatory inner worlds of psychotics, anthropomorphic plan ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Butcher's Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Butcher's Tales

MJ Nicholls
I recently hosted a Dalkey Archive Appreciation book meet, sharing the wonder of this glorious little press with fellow Glaswegians. I read this in preparation for said event, but packed my bag with a dozen bedazzling specimens, among them Mulligan Stew, The Book of Jokes, Log of the S.S. Mrs Unguentine, A Nest of Ninnies, The Mirror in the Well, Pierrot Mon Ami, Night, Best European Fiction 2011, and some others. I suggest every one of you, my GR review followers, does the same in your province ...more
Sora
Words Rikki Ducornet has taught me: anthropophagy, grimoire, glair, funebrial, ossuary. Grumous, gleet, anamorphoscopic.
Trixie Fontaine
This was a random book pick-up in the public library that turned into a HUGE CRUSH, but I guess everybody gets a HUGE CRUSH on her. So I read this a couple of years ago, but haven't posted a review because I couldn't write the rhapsody these stories deserve.

TOTALLY FUCKING LOVE. I drew out the reading of them because I didn't want them to be over. I immediately wanted to buy copies for all of my friends who appreciate dark decadence.

Rikki knows and uses a lot of meaty, beautiful words; seems lik
Deb
Nov 23, 2013 Deb is currently reading it
Recommended to Deb by: Josh Watkins
I'm currently reading the opening stories, but am incredibly impressed and excited--the stories so far are short, rich in detail, and full of poetic technique. If you enjoyed Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels or anything by Italo Calvino, you'll find this a fascinating and engaging read.
Amelia
Creeping killer twins, talking growths. The line "A frightened dog, a pious dog--that most dangerous of dogs." Parasites and flesh poppets. This is the greatest book I've read this year.
MM
I didn't love all of them, but wow is this great. Made me hungry.
William Akin
These little Calvino-eque tales were, for me, a 3.5.

So rate it 3 or 4? Well. Miss Ducornet just happens to be troubled young lady in Steely Dan's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number." Good enough for half a star, far as i can tell.
Alan
I am reading this, dipping in and out, but I had a slew of library books to get through. However I'm thinking these are not really my type of tales, although I appreciate that of their kind, they are good. I'll finish over Christmas.

..I tried and kind of admired the invention and the weirdness of it, but all in all decided it wasn't for me. If you like the following you'll like, if not avoid:

The morning before I was scheduled to leave, two strangers in uniform came to my room as I slept. They se
Christopherseelie
I remember once WH Auden saying that Bohemianism taken out of balance leaves a writer with beautiful fragments but nothing presentable. Rikki Ducornet says a shade on the balanced side. This book is a collection of fragments, some are more complete than others, but they are all beautiful in a nightmare kind of way. The worst is sections that don't keep there mechanismism hidden, like parlour tricks you already know. But the best are stories that make Ducornet the successor to Borges. I would tap ...more
Jim
Got on library run. Looks interesting!
It's...errr...uhhh....Different! More surrealism and less fantasy then I expected. but that's not a criticism.
I expected to be reminded of different fantasy authors, and am being more reminded of, quite unexpctedly, patti smith. Some of these are delgihtful surrealistic Prose Poems, and some of these, just make me wonder what I just read. The 3 stars might be unfair, because the best of these are better then that, but I'm kind of averaging them out I guess.
Laurel
Some of these were excellent; most were just weird. The author seems to have a couple of strange (if you ask me) obsessions. I did think the stories were well sequenced, and the super-short format is fun (you feel like you're going so quickly!).
Jonah
Ducornet's short stories are somewhere on the Barthelme side of Aimee Bender (the other side, of course, being Hemingway). Magical realism at its magicalyest.
Paul Sinclair
a collection of rather bizarre fragmentary and darkly amusing stories a few pages long
Katie M.
Nov 21, 2011 Katie M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie M. by: David
Rikki Ducornet. Holy crap.
Casper_cain
Casper_cain marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Bogdan Liviu
Bogdan Liviu marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
aurialis cruz
aurialis cruz marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jacob Barry
Jacob Barry marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jordan Hoxsie
Jordan Hoxsie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Bridget Brewer
Bridget Brewer marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Sandro
Sandro marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Miss MacIntosh, My Darling
  • La guaracha del Macho Camacho
  • Autobiography of a Corpse
  • Log of the S.S. the Mrs. Unguentine
Rikki Ducornet (born Erica DeGre, April 19, 1943 in Canton, New York) is an American postmodernist, writer, poet, and artist.

Ducornet's father was a professor of sociology, and her mother hosted community-interest programs on radio and television. Ducornet grew up on the campus of Bard College in New York, earning a B.A. in Fine Arts from the same institution in 1964. While at Bard she met Robert
More about Rikki Ducornet...
Netsuke The Fan-Maker's Inquisition: A Novel of the Marquis de Sade The Jade Cabinet Gazelle Phosphor in Dreamland