Start by marking “Beyond the Shadow of the Senators : The Untold Story of the Homestead Grays and the Integration of Baseball” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A witty and frank look at the ad biz from one of its most respected voices Advertising has become an endless stream of cliches, cheesy productions, miscast celebrities, and gratuitous sex--and take-no-prisoners Advertising Age columnist Bob Garfield has had enough. In the often hilarious, always dead-on And Now a Few Words from Me, Garfield looks at the best and the worst ...more
Published January 13th 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Shadow of the Senators , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Shadow of the Senators

bup
The Grays have a history that deserves to be known, of course, and the fans of Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard and Satchel Paige will get their desires met, but what makes this book more interesting than a "Meet the Homestead Grays" is the personalities of Senators owner Clark Griffith, Grays owner Cum Posey, and Washington sports writer Sam Lacy.

Griffith comes off the least well, but also the most interesting. It had never occurred to me (or apparently Shirley Povich and many other DC sports writers)
Anne
Jan 08, 2008 Anne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baseball fans, washingtonians, history buffs
I liked this book overall, but it could have been a lot shorter. I appreciate the author's attempt to tell the story comprehensively - and it's a good story, which more people should know. But the book was a very slow read and it took a lot of effort to slog it out until the end. I think a lot of the detail could have been edited down. The book couldn't quite decide if it wanted to tell the stories of the individual players or the saga behind the integration of major league baseball, and the end ...more
Jacob Becklund
A fascinating history of the negro leagues through the perspective of the DC area. I learned so much about the history surrounding integration. I had no idea the Negro Leagues operated in the way they did; a really good book.
Gospelofjon
I love baseball history and I am sad I took so long to get around to reading about the Grays and other top National Negro League teams. Great stories.
A great read for lovers of DC history - and baseball history!
Jarvis
Jarvis marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Max
Max is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Tony Tone
Tony Tone marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
May 04, 2014
Shannon Skaggs
Shannon Skaggs marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Thomas Stevenson
Thomas Stevenson marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Vesperia
Vesperia marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Hubert
Hubert marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jenny Park
Jenny Park marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013