Start by marking “The Last Angry Man” as Want to Read:
The Last Angry Man

The Last Angry Man

The seismic shifts in American life in the years following World War II have inspired several generations of novelists, but few have described the fallout of those changes as poignantly and with as much understanding as Gerald Green did in The Last Angry Man, published in 1956. At a time when the world had begun to focus on angry young men, Green created a magnificently an ...more
Published October 15th 1980 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Angry Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Angry Man

Kressel Housman
Mar 30, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it it was amazing
This novel is based on the life of the author’s father, a Jewish doctor who remained in his old neighborhood in Brooklyn even when it turned into a slum. The fictional Dr. Sam Abelman is a real moral ambiguity. On one hand, you see his heroism in his dedication to his patients, but on the other, he’s exactly as the title says - an angry and bitter man.

The premise is that a television producer is doing a show on the doctor’s life. As he interviews Sam and the people who know him, you see all the
Sharon
Sep 26, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
"There aren't enough people left who get mad, plain mad. Not mad for a cause or a purpose, but just generally mad at all the bitchery and fraud. We take fraud for granted. We accept it. We like it. We want to be had. That's where he was different. He knew he was being cheated and he didn't like it one tiny bit, whether it was some old biddy doing him out of his two dollars or a corporation telling him they made better cathartics. He was the last angry man."

This might be a spoiler quotation if yo
Allison
Oct 24, 2008 Allison rated it liked it
This was an interesting character study, but I'll have to say it took a while for me to get into it. I was also amazed to learn that the concept of reality tv was alive in the 1950s.
Jonathan
One of the better books I've read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found the portrayal of an extremely angry old man as the hero to be very fascinating.
Donna
Sep 14, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
A book sale find. I’m not sure if the vintage cover caught my eye or the title. Mainly I bought it because the title describes my boyfriend!

I didn’t know there were two movies made of the book, one with Paul Muni and later a made for tv movie with Billy Dee Williams. My surprise was the story was based on the author’s father. And quite the story it was. It was gritty, rough and tough and held my interest.

Dr. Abelman was indeed quite the hero. Perception is so fickle…interpretation can go so ma
Barbara Stricker
Barbara Stricker rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
whimsyJ
whimsyJ rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Abolaji Fasasi
Abolaji Fasasi rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Edward Weiner
Edward Weiner rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Sparquette
Sparquette rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Gail Farrell
Gail Farrell rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Bob Maxell
Bob Maxell rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2010
William Smithwick
William Smithwick rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Neelu
Neelu rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Celeste
Celeste rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
David Bass
David Bass rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Amber Bruce
Amber Bruce rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Jagadish
Jagadish rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2008
Philip
Philip rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2010
Hyrum Summerhays
Hyrum Summerhays rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2010
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2009
Ravi Gangdev
Ravi Gangdev rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2012
Marybeth
Marybeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Mike Zirpoli
Mike Zirpoli rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Green attended Columbia College, where he edited the Jester, starred in several Varsity Shows, and was a member of the Philolexian Society. He graduated from the college in 1942 and, after serving in the US Army in Europe during the Second World War, where he was also the editor of the army's Stars and Stripes newspaper, he returned to New York to attend the Columbia Journalism School.

Green wrote
More about Gerald Green...