Start by marking “The Last Angry Man” as Want to Read:
The Last Angry Man

The Last Angry Man

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The seismic shifts in American life in the years following World War II have inspired several generations of novelists, but few have described the fallout of those changes as poignantly and with as much understanding as Gerald Green did in The Last Angry Man, published in 1956. At a time when the world had begun to focus on angry young men, Green created a magnificently an ...more
Published October 15th 1980 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Angry Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Angry Man

Exodus by Leon UrisThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerMy Cousin Rachel by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonAuntie Mame by Patrick Dennis
Fifties Fiction Favorites
84th out of 85 books — 69 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerLord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Books of the Decade: 1950's
397th out of 648 books — 802 voters

More lists with this book...

Kressel Housman
This novel is based on the life of the author’s father, a Jewish doctor who remained in his old neighborhood in Brooklyn even when it turned into a slum. The fictional Dr. Sam Abelman is a real moral ambiguity. On one hand, you see his heroism in his dedication to his patients, but on the other, he’s exactly as the title says - an angry and bitter man.

The premise is that a television producer is doing a show on the doctor’s life. As he interviews Sam and the people who know him, you see all the
"There aren't enough people left who get mad, plain mad. Not mad for a cause or a purpose, but just generally mad at all the bitchery and fraud. We take fraud for granted. We accept it. We like it. We want to be had. That's where he was different. He knew he was being cheated and he didn't like it one tiny bit, whether it was some old biddy doing him out of his two dollars or a corporation telling him they made better cathartics. He was the last angry man."

This might be a spoiler quotation if yo
This was an interesting character study, but I'll have to say it took a while for me to get into it. I was also amazed to learn that the concept of reality tv was alive in the 1950s.
One of the better books I've read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found the portrayal of an extremely angry old man as the hero to be very fascinating.
A book sale find. I’m not sure if the vintage cover caught my eye or the title. Mainly I bought it because the title describes my boyfriend!

I didn’t know there were two movies made of the book, one with Paul Muni and later a made for tv movie with Billy Dee Williams. My surprise was the story was based on the author’s father. And quite the story it was. It was gritty, rough and tough and held my interest.

Dr. Abelman was indeed quite the hero. Perception is so fickle…interpretation can go so ma
Lindsay Gard
Lindsay Gard marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
James marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Wafaa marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Brandy marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Akshay Rk
Akshay Rk marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Belinda Missen
Belinda Missen marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Clydelee marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Chris Davenport
Chris Davenport marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Ruby marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Karan marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Hnmestel marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Green attended Columbia College, where he edited the Jester, starred in several Varsity Shows, and was a member of the Philolexian Society. He graduated from the college in 1942 and, after serving in the US Army in Europe during the Second World War, where he was also the editor of the army's Stars and Stripes newspaper, he returned to New York to attend the Columbia Journalism School.

Green wrote
More about Gerald Green...