Start by marking “Trashy Town” as Want to Read:

Trashy Town

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  75 reviews
I dump it in
I smash it down
I drive around the trashy town
Meet Mr. Gilly. He cleans up Trashy Town. He does it with a big smile and a big truck--which is sure to make him a hero with all the children in the neighborhood. David Clemesha and Andrea Zimmerman have created a rhythmic, repeatable refrain that will roll off the lips of every child. Dan Yaccarino's dynamic art pu
Published February 27th 1999 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Trashy Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trashy Town

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
45th out of 289 books — 132 voters
Not a Box by Antoinette PortisGoodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey RinkerSpoon by Amy Krouse RosenthalOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce
Curious about it all...
6th out of 81 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Pat Watkins
Trashy Town offers young children the chance to think about the importance of the job of Mr. Gilly, the trash man. The simplicity of the artwork and the repetition of the refrain "Is the trash truck full yet?" offers a great opportunity for call and response. The highlighted words that many children in kindergarten (even those readers who are just beginning to decode) will recognize, give readers of all levels the ability to confidently raise their hand or call out when they see the familiar wor ...more
Samantha Friedman
I really enjoyed this book, a lot. It was a vertical book with a cover that made me want to pick it up. I really liked how the front and end pages had trash cans and fish bones on them, it made me wonder if the town he as cleaning up was stinky and dirty. I absolutely love how he dedicated the book to, "litterbugs everywhere." The simplistic drawings were colorful and creative, I especially liked the how the two mice appeared on every page. The rhyming of the text made it fun to read and I liked ...more
David
Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman, David Clemesha, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino, follows Mr. Gilly the trashman as he drives his truck around cleaning up the town.

Yaccarino's bold illustrations feature Mr Gilly and his garbage truck, picking up trash at a school, park, pizza parlor, doctor's office, fire station, & all around town. Children will enjoy finding the ever-present pair of mice. My favorite images are the cover, park, pizza parlor, fire station, trash can juggling, dump, and final i
Kristy
While this book may not look exciting at first glance, it's actually wonderful for storytime. Have kids do the hand motions to "dump it in, smash it down, drive around the Trashy Town!" It's repeated often, and all of the kindergartners in my storytime really seemed to love it. An unexpected treasure!

Great for Pre-K and K storytime.
Izzy
I enjoyed reading this book, because I think it would help children view trashmen in a more positive way than most people tend to. I could see a preschool group having fun being with this book, because it is so simple and interactive. A group of really young kids would love looking for the mice that are on each and every page.
D'Anne
My 20 month old son is obsessed with garbage trucks right now and he loves this book, though he is really only interested in the pages that show the truck. The focus of this book is the garbage man, Mr. Gilly, and most of the pages feature illustrations of him picking up trash cans. We don't really see him getting in and out of the truck or throwing trash into the truck, which are my son's favorite aspects of this vocation. Mr. Gilly picks up trash from several locations including a school, a pa ...more
Jessica
In our house, we change "Mr. Gilly" to "Uncle Colby" (who is indeed a garbageman), and it's a HUGE favorite of my 2.5 year old son. The repetition and rhyme keep him engaged, and it's not too long for bedtimes when parents are exhausted.
Vonnie
My daughter enjoys yelling "stop," and answering "no," that the trash truck is not full yet. Any book that gets her involved through repetition is a fun book to read as a family!
Tara Sheehan
The first thing that I noticed about the book was the end papers were covered with garbage cans, food cans, papers, and dead fish, which gave me a little "taste" of the book. The pages are full bleed and very colorful. The illustrations give the vibe of the hectic and messy scene that the storyline is trying to portray. I am not sure what it would be called however, I thought it was interesting that there was a line that was repeated several times in the book. I thought this was a good way to ge ...more
Liza
all my kids enjoy this book it gets checked out from the library on a regular basis. the scholastic video of this book is fun too.
Becca
Kids love rapping the refrain--"Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the trashy town." At school we put on our heavy gloves, climb up into our truck, sit down, fish the key out of our pocket, put it in the ignition and turn our truck on, of course with the sound of the engine reving to life. I give one student the task of yelling out "stop" every time she sees the word, and off we go. We discuss other places in the town that the garbage truck could stop at before our truck is full. At the end ...more
Pretend City Children's Museum
This is one of our favorite books to do story time here in the museum! It is a great book that teaches children the importance of keeping their community clean! LOVE IT!

Grown-up Tip: Look around your home and find items you can repurpose or reuse. Use an empty cardboard box as a recycling bin for aluminum, plastics or paper. You and your child can decorate the box and put it in an accessible place. Your child will share a new found interest in recycling with friends and family. Encourage environ
Jessi
My 2.5 year old loves this story and the scholastic video version of the book.
Scott Volz
While I'm sure Trashy Town is a likely hit with young truck fanatics and those captivated by catchy repetition and bold, simple illustrations, I found the picture book to be somewhat uninspired. I really like the premise--a garbage man cleans up the town, stop by stop--and the refrain was fairly effective. I just feel like the authors could've gotten more silliness and fun squeezed into story. I think the fact that the illustrations are similarly solid-but-unspectacular hurts the book's appeal, ...more
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
We loved the ending!!! It was great for helping us learn about how authors use refrains in their writing.
Ecl  Storytellers
Adorable story of a trashman collecting trash around town. He makes lots of "STOP!"s where he commences with a pattern of emptying, dumping and smashing. Is the trash full yet? NO! Great story for vehicle/city storytime.

Idea: Have the kids hold shaker eggs as a prop through the story and shake the eggs when Mr. Gilly empties the trash can, tap the floor when it gets smashed down, wheel the egg around the floor when he drives, etc.
Janelle
We were looking for something for the boy that would make garbage trucks seem less scary. This book was great! He wanted to read it over and over. The repetition of the refrain and cheerful illustrations made it a pleasant read. The story follows Mr. Gilly the trash man through his day as he collects trash from all over town and then takes it to the dump, finally after he empties his truck there is only one thing left to clean up!
June
May 02, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: community workers requests
I always forget how well this works for community workers story time requests. The repetitive "Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the Trashy Town!" always seems to win the children over and get them involved.

It's always a hard choice whether to use this or I Stink!
Lisa
Trashy Town By: David Clemesha & Andrea Zimmerman ISBN: 0-06-027140-X, 1999.
Mr. Gilly is the trashman for Trashy Town and he loves to pick up trash! He makes many stops on his route singing a little tune “Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the Trashy Town!”

**Very Cute book to explain to younger students about keeping our environment clean.

jacky
This was read aloud at library story time today. (What was kinda funny is we got a truck book from them, which totally goes along with this book). I liked how there was a repeated section and a pattern to the story. It covers a lot of important places in a town, too. I didn't really see the illustrations because I was focusing on Natalie not crying!
Meghan Hunt
Lauren
This is a great kids book about a Garbage man that cleans up the town. Two little rats narrate the story as the Garbage man- "Mr. Tilly" cleans up. Lots of repetitive phrases. This book got all 3 of my non verbal student's talking up a storm! "Up up up goes the truck, down down down goes the trash!"
Heather
We got this book on DVD. My 3 year old now sings the book all the time. The first time he saw a garbage truck, he wanted to run out and say, "Hello!" to "Mr. Gillie." It's a very cute, entertaining children's read. It also made him pay more attention to where he thre his trash - very nice bonus!
Ingrid
I can't believe how long it has taken me to pick this one up, but I am so glad that I finally did. This is going to be perfect for both storytimes. I will probably excerpt it a little for the younger set, but it will be easy to do. I think the preschoolers will like chanting along on the refrain.
Marcia
Oct 01, 2010 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: prek-1
One of those well-crafted picture books; simple illustrations and repetitive sing-songy text that kids pick up on right away and join in. Trash is not really a PC topic I suppose-we are all about recycling and composting-but kids love the messiness and the trucks! A fun time with the kindergarten.
Fitchburg Public Library
This story is very repetitive, and perfect for toddlers who want to "read along." Kids will pick up on and enjoy repeating back Mr. Gilly's cycle of picking up cans, dumping them in the truck, and driving around to look for more. Recommended for ages 2-3. - Reviewed by Allison C.
Mary
This is a great book for ECE level readers about what trash collectors do, where trash can be found, and what happens to it once it's been picked up. The pictures are great, there is lots of repetition, and a fun meter throughout the book.
Melissa
I've not done this with my Preschool Playgroup yet, but I think it will be a big hit. Especially with my boys. It invites participation with it's repetition and instruction words. It should be a great read-aloud. Perhaps a little long for toddlers.
Danielle Baker
This is too cute. Mr. Gilly goes around cleaning trash with a smile on his face. The illustrations are colorful. The story is very engaging and has a beat to it almost. I would use this book for phonological awareness.
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Demolition
  • Clip-Clop
  • My Car
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Red Truck
  • I Stink!
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • I Love Trucks!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Lunch
  • Night Light
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Lots of Dots
  • Little Tug
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha are married and have created several children’s books together, including Digger Man, Fire Engine Man and Trashy Town, an ALA Notable Book. Zimmerman was born in Ohio and grew up in New York, Utah and California. When she was young, she loved exploring nature, reading comic books, and riding her horse. She studied fine arts for children in college, then later we ...more
More about Andrea Zimmerman...
Digger Man Dig! Train Man Fire Engine Man Eliza's Cherry Trees: Japan's Gift to America