Start by marking “Because I Love You” as Want to Read:
Because I Love You

Because I Love You

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,104 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
A long time ago a wise man named Shaddai built a wonderful village for children to live in. He talked to them and sang for them and told them stories. He gave them everything they needed. And with his own hands Shaddai built a protective wall around their village, rock by rock.

He did all of this for just one reason--because he loved them.

One day Paladin, the village's most
Published February 3rd 1999 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Because I Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because I Love You

Ilze
Apr 03, 2014 Ilze rated it really liked it
I take my hat off to Max Lucado for this series of books. It brings the whole concept of God's love home to little ones in such a special way that adults benefit from it too. Leonie (for some reason) cannot stop looking at the page where Palladin gets lost and sits on the ground crying. Heinze's illustration shows that Shaddai is coming in the distance, so Leonie whispers: "He's coming!" after which we have to go to the next page and then she'll stare at the image of Shaddai with Palladin in his ...more
A.
Oct 08, 2009 A. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: age 8 and younger
I like the illustrations and the plot.

Indirectly, it teaches children that God loves his creation.

God sets boundaries for people to protect them like this man built a wall to protect the children in his village. If God wants to prevent us from wrong doing, He can, but that not what He wants...He wants us to have a free will. Similarly, this man made holes in the wall to teach the children how to control their inner voices.

...and when they make mistake God is ready to help...like this man who wa
Ketti
Really touching book that has beautiful, sunlight-filled paintings.
To be honest, though, I always used to get really creeped out at the part when the boy, Paladin, is walking in the forest and then he finds that the wall's closed up and he can't get back home. //shudders// Nightmare fuel.

~
(view spoiler)
Madi Sharp
Feb 12, 2015 Madi Sharp rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It has such a wonderful message that everyone can learn from. It taught that we can always come back if we go astray. The man in the story is very similar to Christ and I could relate to the little boy. He wanted to see what is on the other side of the wall even though he was told it wasn't safe. Often times people have to learn the hard way. It also showed that Christ is always looking out for us even before we call out to Him.
Maggie Wells
Feb 24, 2016 Maggie Wells rated it it was amazing
"Because I Love You" is a book that I have read many times throughout my childhood, and every time I read it again, it warms my heart and gives me a that feel good perspective. What I like most about this book is that it shows kindness all the way throughout and shows children the theme of friendship and how being nice to everyone is a great thing. Now that I have grown up, reading the story makes me realize that the man running the village for the children, is a lot like teachers, as they love ...more
Denise Kerns
May 23, 2014 Denise Kerns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GOD:BY= Georgia Kerns

This story is talking about how God is always their for you even when you've done something wrong. Sometimes you think that it's God's fault for letting the situation happen to you, but always remember in the bible it says "I will never leave you or forsake you". Always make sure you read your bible everyday. It's funny that I thought of this verse because I don't even read the bible and where I here that verse at is from the word of the Lord I hear at church.
Jessica Rawden
Ah, Christian fiction. I knew people were often not on board with this book, finding it to not be kosher, if you will (had to), but I didn't know why until I picked it up. It's kind of a shame that this book is a super Christian message about the maker and not just a lesson learning story or a cultural teaching story. It's really a shame because Mitchell Heinze's artwork has a real texture to it that I liked. I wish that people wouldn't bulldoze their faith around and would instead try to just t ...more
Ashlyn Phillips
I really loved this book and the message that it had. Though it may not be entirely correct with LDS doctrine I really did like it. I thought that it was relatable to us here on earth now and how we get lost when we don't heed God's word, but he is always there to help us and lead us home. I would read this to my children and try to teach them about His love.

-On my test I accidentally mixed up this title with "you are mine", in the short answer section.
Destiny
Oct 23, 2014 Destiny rated it it was amazing
Great book to use in the class, at home, or at church. Great lessons that can be learned. We are protected by certain rules or guidelines but we are not forced to obey. We have agency and this book does a great job at teaching how important our choices are. It also shows that love is shown through teaching and letting the children choose for eh themselves. Many lessons that can be applied to many settings.
Toryn Coombs
Oct 23, 2014 Toryn Coombs rated it it was amazing
This is such an inspirational book. The story is sweet and you can find so many connections to the idea of Christ and the role he plays in our life. I think that because one of the main characters is a child we are able to really understand the love that the man has for the child and the pure curiosity and innocence of the child. The art was beautifully done and went perfectly with the beautiful words written!
Rebekah
Oct 04, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Very good. It's simple, and a good story for little children. But being allegorical, it also is a good story for older children and adults as well. I picked it up and read it, and promptly bought it so I could read it to an 11-year-old friend who had recently been asking me questions like "Why does God let people sin?"
Cathy Cramer
I got this story partly to help explain the need for rules to my middle child at a younger age. I reread it with my youngest child, 5, today, but we have read it many times in between. It's an excellent story, with beautiful illustrations, and conveys not only the need for rules, but also that God is loving and forgiving.
Karissa
Feb 12, 2015 Karissa rated it really liked it
I LOVE Max Lucado and this book is a great addition. I love the parable style he uses and the illustrated pictures. Lucado uses such a strong love of God as he writes and it comes through in all his books.
Glenda
Mar 02, 2014 Glenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-read
A very good book. A great way to teach your children about free agency and the love their Heavenly Father has for them. He is always there, watching, and ready to rescue us.
Chelsea Merkley
Feb 16, 2016 Chelsea Merkley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this board book. I do have to say the fuller version, larger size definitely reads better. I love the story, and the lovely drawings and colors.
Zach Hamrick
Jan 27, 2014 Zach Hamrick rated it really liked it
This book is really good. It really teaches students that parents and teachers set rules in place to not make their life terrible but to keep them safe because parents and teacher care about the student.
Jodi
Profound truth. I barely managed to read this aloud without bursting into tears. So good.
Geena
Jul 09, 2015 Geena rated it it was amazing
Timeless and classic. Cherish as a child, and still love dearly.
Rosa
Apr 12, 2012 Rosa rated it it was amazing
A wonderful analogy for teaching children & youth why our loving Heavenly Father gives us commandments, why He gave us the gift of free agency, and how He is always readily available to rescue us when we choose the wrong path (He already provided the way for us to return to Him by sending His Son to atone for our sins and be our Redeemer). His gift was given for all, but we each have the choice to accept His gift or not. All we need to do is call to Him with a "broken heart and contrite spir ...more
Ryan German
Jan 16, 2015 Ryan German rated it really liked it
Pulls at your heart strings, has a good message
Danette
Apr 27, 2016 Danette added it
Shelves: picture-books
For Lincoln, on his 5th birthday.
Sharlee
Apr 23, 2008 Sharlee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
If I could add an extra star I would. This book is just SO good. I could read it over and over again. It's message is so amazing and it makes me tear up every single time I read it. I use it to teach about rules and why I establish rules in my classroom. It teaches about agency and Heavenly Father's love for all of his children. It talks about how well He knows us. It's just such an amazing book with so many different takes!
Jul 09, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
A warm tale of how much God loves us that he would protect us and keep us safe.

This is such a sweet book, I love how Max Lucado expertly shows children just how much God loves them and still makes it so they can understand, without making it a boring read for parents either.

*Taken from my books review blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Anna
Jan 17, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
Childrens parable about God and how he knows each one of us by name. He builds a wall to keep us out of sin, but for some reason we continue to want to get through the wall. Theres a hole in the wall. God wants us to stay with Him because we want to. Once we're entangled in sin it's hard to go back, but it's possible. God comes to rescue us, by sending His son Jesus.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-kids-books
This has beautiful artwork. What I didn't like was the message. The child was saved after he was told he wouldn't be. It blurs the line of authority and doing the right thing. I get that even after the child does the wrong thing that God saves him. But, in real life, that's not the case. So, it creates mixed feelings for me.
Mary Baker
Dec 16, 2008 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
This is a book for older readers. The illustrations are beautiful but the text and message is intented for older readers. People who really care about us are always there but let us decide and choose for ourselves. This story is very heartwarming and enlightening and reminds us that someone is always there.
David
Feb 18, 2009 David rated it did not like it
I read this and don't get it. Is this guy supposed to be God. Is this a cult training manual for kids? What's with the wall...why does he have to build a wall, oh because he needs a life. it's plain creepy. But by all means enjoy your bearded Zeus god fantasy. Even my daughter says this is kind of strange.
Brianna Schrag
Sep 20, 2012 Brianna Schrag rated it really liked it
One day Paladin, the village's most curious child, discovers something troubling about the wall. Something that makes him wonder about Shaddai's love. Could there be a mistake? Young Paladin is about to discover the answer. And when he does, he will come to understand just how deeply he is loved.
Misty
Jan 09, 2009 Misty rated it it was amazing
Yes this is a children's book but it's nicely written. I went to a BSU meeting and it was actually read to us. Yeah, I felt like I was back in kindergarten but it was okay. It was such a beautiful story and one of the most inspirational children's books I have ever seen.
Mandy
Jan 04, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Bella's book... She loves for us to read to her. Seriously she LOVES it! She has all sorts of books but my faves to read to her are Christian children's books. Max Lucado's books are some of my favorite. Jason and I read his books so its cool to have Bella books by him as well.
  • The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
  • Franklin's Secret Club
  • The Legend of the Candy Cane
  • The Rain Came Down
  • Fanny's Dream
  • Hip, Hip, Hooray for Annie McRae!
  • The Beginner's Bible
  • The Parable of the Princesses
  • Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story For Advent (Jotham's Journey Trilogy)
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Lost in the Woods
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...