Start by marking “Kissed by Shadows (Kiss, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kissed by Shadows (Kiss, #3)

Kissed by Shadows (Kiss Trilogy #3)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  27 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Jane Feather has won legions of fans and critical accolades for her unique blend of sizzling seduction, dangerous intrigue, and passionate adventure. In this second of two romances featuring two unconventional sisters whose quest to solve the mystery surrounding their lives puts each of them in the path of an irresistible hero, Jane Feathe ...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kissed by Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissed by Shadows

Elle
Up front, I'll just say that I can't see why the villains of this piece went to such extremes to breed a royal bastard when the story so proliferates with them.

The setting: England. Mary has ascended the throne and married Philip of Spain. The story centers around the queen's futile efforts to bear a child.

Royal bastard #1 is literally royal. King Philip. The story opens with him and some of his toadies standing over a young woman who is unconscious on a daybed. The toadies assure the king that
Red
Oh wow bener-bener kisah yang paling memilukan.
Dari prolog aja, aku udah tau kalau itu Pippa dan pemilik bros aneh itu Lionel. Parah, dari prolog aja aku udah sedih. Dari prolog aja udah kasian. Dari prolog aja udah gak mau lanjut baca tapi penasaran dengan akhirnya, bagaimana Pippa berhasil keluar dari masalah kelamnya.
Parah.
Sedih banget.
Di buku ini ada dua cerita, tentang Pippa dan Robin (akhirnya!) (yah walau biasanya aku termasuk yang menentang ada dua cerita dalam satu buku tapi di buku ini
Owusua Adwoa Ayeh
What was done to her was hurtful and the husband was the worst of all kind.
Susan
Spoiler that's also a warning: The premise of this "romance" is so nauseating, I couldn't enjoy it. The "hero" assists devoutly religious King Philip in repeatedly raping a drugged woman for the purpose of getting her pregnant, so that her baby can then be taken from her, if necessary, to be passed off as the queen's own child. If forced seduction makes you queasy in historical romance novels, wait till you read about the calculated use of an unconscious girl as a baby-maker for the hero's boss, ...more
Marian
1554, not my favorite period to read but this was a knock-out.

This was a time of intrigue and one false move and you would die, horribly. A time where fanatics on both sides of religion used it for power and gain.

It is July, 1554 and Mary, daughter of Henry VIII is on the throne, married to Phillip of Spain, and Lady Elizabeth is in prison.

Phillip and Mary have devised a devious plan to allow Spain to eventually have control of England and the secret could cost the lives of many.

"Lady Phillipp
Nicola Davidson
Jane Feather is a great writer and I've really enjoyed her other books, but the plot of this one was too much for me. A heroine who is drugged and raped by the king each night to get a child he could potentially pass off as the queens? And a hero who delivers her to this situation each time? No. Just no.
Hilde Govaers
Kissed by Shadows is an extremely well written tale of how things went in the early 16th century.
The intrigue, betrayal and passion are loud and clear.
Suspense is in every page, it was a joy to read.
Truly recommended for fans of historic drama/passion.
Jody
This is the finale of the Kiss trilogy. I truly enjoyed this series taking place in the mid 16th century. Queen Mary (the daughter of Henry VIII) and King Phillip rule during a very fanatical time. People are murder for little reason and Mary is quite serious about her catholicism. The problem is she cannot produce an heir. A plot is hatched to impregnate Lady Nielson (Pippa) with Phillip's heir, while she is drugged. Lionel Ashton is involved with King Phillip and is left to care for Pippa. . . ...more
Christine
love this series. Why? because this series contains a lot of conflicts, in tricks and so many real historical events.
Titis Wardhana
Baca selipan kisah Pippa di buku 1 dan 2 jadi penasaran gimana kisahnya di bukunya sendiri. Pippa yang cerewet, suka ingin tahu, suka menggoda, enerjik, de el el. Tapi ya ampun, di buku ini dari awal aja uda tragis. Setelah menikah, ternyata Pippa sempat dipenjara karena mendukung Elizabeth. Pas keluar dari penjara, hubungannya dengan suaminya menjadi renggang, yang paling menyakitkan suaminya ternyata memanfaatkan Pippa tanpa sepengetahuan Pippa sendiri, pokoknya sedih banget jadi Pippa, sifat2 ...more
Carissa
One of the automatic DQs for me with a romance novel is when the female hero is sexually brutalized or humiliated or raped in any sense of the word. This book STARTS with such a scene, as the prologue, and makes it the major plot complication. Basically ruined the story of two quite likable characters. I also wish the secondary story between the female hero's stepbrother (whom we've known for three books) and his love interest had more emotional effect. A wasted opportunity.
Judith
While I usually like Jane Feather's books, this one was awful. The plot and character development were well done, but the basic premise of the story was terrible. The "hero" facilitates the sexual assault of the heroine, and while it is supposedly distasteful to him, his discomfort did not stop him from repeatedly aiding rape. That is NOT romantic. The heroine forgives him fairly easily, and I truly wanted better for her. NOT well done, Ms. Feather. Not well done at all.
Mahareni Maldini
Meski buku2 Feather belum bisa beranjak naik dari bintang 3, tetep aja pengin baca bukunya (kecuali seri Matchmaker Duncan Sisters).

Gak bisa nangkap chemistry-nya Lionel+Pippa. And kisah cintanya Robin+Luisa ku-skip2 aja, kurang menarik.

Btw, d tengah hiruk pikuk lingkungan istana, kok ya bisa2nya Lionel+Pippa bermain cinta d atas rumput d siang hari bolong. Kok gak ketahuan gitu, heran aja.
*analisa gak penting*
Carol

The story is set in the Tudor period with Mary on the throne. An interesting story develops from this time period. There were a couple points in this book where I felt there was too much explanation. Sadly believable the plot is not a comfortable love story but I wanted to know what happened so I continued to the end. I would not recommend this book to many people.
Kara
I really like how Jane Feather writes. The details pull you into the time period without feeling like she's lecturing you. Yes there is the love story with a couple of sex scenes but I find myself reading to see what comes next. Will Pip find out what is happening to her? Is Lionel bad or good? Just a good read.
Ana
I liked the intrigue and intricacies of life at court. But, there was a part of it that did not appeal to me though it's the lynchpin that holds the plot together. The secondary romance should have been removed and given a book of it's own because it thoroughly distracted me from the main romantic couple.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was one messed up story. I read it and I felt ill at ease. Ill at ease because I guiltily enjoyed the "roofied" Pippa. This story is one of the darker twisted ones by Ms. Feather. Enjoyable and just so odd. Did this kind of thing happen for real? One never knows.
Kit★
Oct 29, 2012 Kit★ marked it as to-read
Another Goodwill find, alas it turns out to be #3 in a series I don't have... adding to my 'working on finding others in set and so waiting to read' box. Sad that I have a box full of random books belonging to series that I don't own the others of... >.<
Great mix of romance and intrigue in 16th century English court. This was my second time through and enjoyed it as much as the first time and is my favorite of the 3 books centered around Pippa and her family.
Santy
The beginning is somewhat daunting, but in the end we can breath for a sign of relief that the heroine had been rescued by her beloved man from every trouble. Nice ending story for "kiss" trilogy.
Diana
Jessica
Couldn't finish. Oh the sorrow that comes with a failed attempt.

Perhaps my life is political enough without the addition of a romance steeped in politics.
Amber
love, scandal, betrayal, romance, adventure... all in a period piece with strong female characters.
Marianne
I've enjoyed quite a few books by Feather, this ....in my opinion....was not one of her best.
Preethy
interesting...set during the time of elizabeth before she became queen...
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Salma Karina
Salma Karina marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
matthew
matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
  • Almost a Princess
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • Border Fire (Border Trilogy I, #2)
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • The Forbidden Princess
  • Dream Island (Akora, #1)
  • The Rival
  • The Pursuit (Sherring Cross, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • My True Love
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 06 (Midnight Secretary, #6)
  • The Deception (Baron, #3)
  • The Countess (The Bride Quest II Book 1)
  • Ravished
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • ワンピース [Wan Pīsu] 75 (One Piece, #75)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
Jane Feather was born in Cairo, Egypt, and grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She began her highly successful career after she and her family moved to Washington D.C. in 1981. She now has over ten million books in print.

Has also written under pseudonym of Claudia Bishop (books written in 1984)
More about Jane Feather...

Kiss Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Widow's Kiss (Kiss, #1)
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2) The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2) Rushed to the Altar (Blackwater Brides #1) The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3) A Wicked Gentleman (Cavendish Square, #1)