Start by marking “Kissed by Shadows (Kiss, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kissed by Shadows (Kiss, #3)

Kissed by Shadows (Kiss Trilogy #3)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  461 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Jane Feather has won legions of fans and critical accolades for her unique blend of sizzling seduction, dangerous intrigue, and passionate adventure. In this second of two romances featuring two unconventional sisters whose quest to solve the mystery surrounding their lives puts each of them in the path of an irresistible hero, Jane Feathe ...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kissed by Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissed by Shadows

Elle
Up front, I'll just say that I can't see why the villains of this piece went to such extremes to breed a royal bastard when the story so proliferates with them.

The setting: England. Mary has ascended the throne and married Philip of Spain. The story centers around the queen's futile efforts to bear a child.

Royal bastard #1 is literally royal. King Philip. The story opens with him and some of his toadies standing over a young woman who is unconscious on a daybed. The toadies assure the king that
Alice
Jul 04, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow bener-bener kisah yang paling memilukan.
Dari prolog aja, aku udah tau kalau itu Pippa dan pemilik bros aneh itu Lionel. Parah, dari prolog aja aku udah sedih. Dari prolog aja udah kasian. Dari prolog aja udah gak mau lanjut baca tapi penasaran dengan akhirnya, bagaimana Pippa berhasil keluar dari masalah kelamnya.
Parah.
Sedih banget.
Di buku ini ada dua cerita, tentang Pippa dan Robin (akhirnya!) (yah walau biasanya aku termasuk yang menentang ada dua cerita dalam satu buku tapi di buku ini
Brilliant Hermione
Berbalut kisah sejarah di era Ratu Mary, novel ini menawarkan alur yang memesona.

Sedari pertama membaca, saya sudah dikejutkan dengan plot licik yang dilancarkan suami Ratu Mary, Raja Phillip dari Spanyol.

Kehadiran Lionel Ashton, tokoh utama pria yang jauh dari kata sempurna membuat novel ini semakin memikat.

Lionel memang tidak tampan dan cenderung buruk rupa (sangat jauh berbeda dengan karakter utama yang biasanya digambarkan tampan dan berkelas), tapi entah bagaimana saya tertarik dengan pemb
Maryori
May 17, 2015 Maryori rated it it was ok
Owusua Adwoa Ayeh
Jul 09, 2012 Owusua Adwoa Ayeh rated it it was amazing
What was done to her was hurtful and the husband was the worst of all kind.
Susan (the other Susan)
Spoiler that's also a warning: The premise of this "romance" is so nauseating, I couldn't enjoy it. The "hero" assists devoutly religious King Philip in repeatedly raping a drugged woman for the purpose of getting her pregnant, so that her baby can then be taken from her, if necessary, to be passed off as the queen's own child. If forced seduction makes you queasy in historical romance novels, wait till you read about the calculated use of an unconscious girl as a baby-maker for the hero's boss, ...more
Marian
Feb 26, 2009 Marian rated it it was amazing
1554, not my favorite period to read but this was a knock-out.

This was a time of intrigue and one false move and you would die, horribly. A time where fanatics on both sides of religion used it for power and gain.

It is July, 1554 and Mary, daughter of Henry VIII is on the throne, married to Phillip of Spain, and Lady Elizabeth is in prison.

Phillip and Mary have devised a devious plan to allow Spain to eventually have control of England and the secret could cost the lives of many.

"Lady Phillipp
Nicola Davidson
Sep 13, 2014 Nicola Davidson rated it it was ok
Jane Feather is a great writer and I've really enjoyed her other books, but the plot of this one was too much for me. A heroine who is drugged and raped by the king each night to get a child he could potentially pass off as the queens? And a hero who delivers her to this situation each time? No. Just no.
Hilde Govaers
Oct 31, 2014 Hilde Govaers rated it really liked it
Kissed by Shadows is an extremely well written tale of how things went in the early 16th century.
The intrigue, betrayal and passion are loud and clear.
Suspense is in every page, it was a joy to read.
Truly recommended for fans of historic drama/passion.
Jody
Nov 28, 2012 Jody rated it it was amazing
This is the finale of the Kiss trilogy. I truly enjoyed this series taking place in the mid 16th century. Queen Mary (the daughter of Henry VIII) and King Phillip rule during a very fanatical time. People are murder for little reason and Mary is quite serious about her catholicism. The problem is she cannot produce an heir. A plot is hatched to impregnate Lady Nielson (Pippa) with Phillip's heir, while she is drugged. Lionel Ashton is involved with King Phillip and is left to care for Pippa. . . ...more
Christine
love this series. Why? because this series contains a lot of conflicts, in tricks and so many real historical events.
Titis Wardhana
Mar 13, 2012 Titis Wardhana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Baca selipan kisah Pippa di buku 1 dan 2 jadi penasaran gimana kisahnya di bukunya sendiri. Pippa yang cerewet, suka ingin tahu, suka menggoda, enerjik, de el el. Tapi ya ampun, di buku ini dari awal aja uda tragis. Setelah menikah, ternyata Pippa sempat dipenjara karena mendukung Elizabeth. Pas keluar dari penjara, hubungannya dengan suaminya menjadi renggang, yang paling menyakitkan suaminya ternyata memanfaatkan Pippa tanpa sepengetahuan Pippa sendiri, pokoknya sedih banget jadi Pippa, sifat2 ...more
Valerie
Jun 27, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
To think this is based on fact!! Great read!
Mae R
Apr 01, 2016 Mae R rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Pippa & Lionel
Carissa
One of the automatic DQs for me with a romance novel is when the female hero is sexually brutalized or humiliated or raped in any sense of the word. This book STARTS with such a scene, as the prologue, and makes it the major plot complication. Basically ruined the story of two quite likable characters. I also wish the secondary story between the female hero's stepbrother (whom we've known for three books) and his love interest had more emotional effect. A wasted opportunity.
Judith
Oct 05, 2010 Judith rated it did not like it
While I usually like Jane Feather's books, this one was awful. The plot and character development were well done, but the basic premise of the story was terrible. The "hero" facilitates the sexual assault of the heroine, and while it is supposedly distasteful to him, his discomfort did not stop him from repeatedly aiding rape. That is NOT romantic. The heroine forgives him fairly easily, and I truly wanted better for her. NOT well done, Ms. Feather. Not well done at all.
Mahareni Sukadi
Meski buku2 Feather belum bisa beranjak naik dari bintang 3, tetep aja pengin baca bukunya (kecuali seri Matchmaker Duncan Sisters).

Gak bisa nangkap chemistry-nya Lionel+Pippa. And kisah cintanya Robin+Luisa ku-skip2 aja, kurang menarik.

Btw, d tengah hiruk pikuk lingkungan istana, kok ya bisa2nya Lionel+Pippa bermain cinta d atas rumput d siang hari bolong. Kok gak ketahuan gitu, heran aja.
*analisa gak penting*
Carol
Jun 15, 2012 Carol rated it liked it

The story is set in the Tudor period with Mary on the throne. An interesting story develops from this time period. There were a couple points in this book where I felt there was too much explanation. Sadly believable the plot is not a comfortable love story but I wanted to know what happened so I continued to the end. I would not recommend this book to many people.
Kara
Oct 12, 2011 Kara rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I really like how Jane Feather writes. The details pull you into the time period without feeling like she's lecturing you. Yes there is the love story with a couple of sex scenes but I find myself reading to see what comes next. Will Pip find out what is happening to her? Is Lionel bad or good? Just a good read.
Ana
Apr 25, 2013 Ana rated it liked it
I liked the intrigue and intricacies of life at court. But, there was a part of it that did not appeal to me though it's the lynchpin that holds the plot together. The secondary romance should have been removed and given a book of it's own because it thoroughly distracted me from the main romantic couple.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was one messed up story. I read it and I felt ill at ease. Ill at ease because I guiltily enjoyed the "roofied" Pippa. This story is one of the darker twisted ones by Ms. Feather. Enjoyable and just so odd. Did this kind of thing happen for real? One never knows.
Kit★
Aug 02, 2015 Kit★ marked it as to-read
Another Goodwill find, alas it turns out to be #3 in a series I don't have... adding to my 'working on finding others in set and so waiting to read' box. Sad that I have a box full of random books belonging to series that I don't own the others of... >.<
Nov 29, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
Great mix of romance and intrigue in 16th century English court. This was my second time through and enjoyed it as much as the first time and is my favorite of the 3 books centered around Pippa and her family.
Santy
Nov 26, 2013 Santy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning is somewhat daunting, but in the end we can breath for a sign of relief that the heroine had been rescued by her beloved man from every trouble. Nice ending story for "kiss" trilogy.
Diana
Dec 17, 2008 Diana rated it it was ok
Blodeuedd Finland
Jul 14, 2015 Blodeuedd Finland marked it as dnf
Seriously?! Was this romance? The heroine gets raped on page 1, continues to get raped. Her husband is in on it and the hero brings her to the rapist. Wtf. No DNF
Jessica
Couldn't finish. Oh the sorrow that comes with a failed attempt.

Perhaps my life is political enough without the addition of a romance steeped in politics.
Amber
Jan 14, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
love, scandal, betrayal, romance, adventure... all in a period piece with strong female characters.
Marianne
Sep 05, 2011 Marianne rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed quite a few books by Feather, this ....in my opinion....was not one of her best.
  • Almost a Princess (Men from Special Branch, #4)
  • The Forbidden Princess
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • The Pursuit (Sherring Cross, #3)
  • Dream Island (Akora, #1)
  • Border Wedding (Border Trilogy II, #1)
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • The Rival
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Fairy Tale
  • An Honorable Man (Logan Duology, #1)
  • Ravished
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • The Duke (Regency, #4)
Jane Feather was born in Cairo, Egypt, and grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She began her highly successful career after she and her family moved to Washington D.C. in 1981. She now has over ten million books in print.

Has also written under pseudonym of Claudia Bishop (books written in 1984)
More about Jane Feather...

Kiss Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Widow's Kiss (Kiss, #1)
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)