Start by marking “In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love” as Want to Read:
In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love

In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,566 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
In his most theologically challenging book to date, popular author Max Lucado reminds you that the God who first made you is strong enough to sustain you. This is a book about "one of life's sweetest words"--grace.
Published May 1st 1998 by Nelsonword Publishing Group (first published August 6th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about In the Grip of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Grip of Grace

Penny
Aug 07, 2012 Penny rated it liked it
Another great Lucado book.

"When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live NOT on the basis of what he SAW he COULDN'T do, but on what God SAID he WOULD do! Abraham decided to trust the PROMISE rather than focus on the problems!!!'

Two truths about GRACE to take into battle:

1. God still claims you. ****IF your sin were too great for HIs grace, He never would've saved you in the 1st place!!
2. God still guides you. ***There is NEVER a point at which you are LESS saved than
LeighAnne
Aug 22, 2011 LeighAnne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
A wonderful picture of grace and our own inability to save ourselves. A wonderful tool for any new Christian and a great reminder for the mature Christian. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars is the author's use of the Message as his translation in spots. I originally checked it out from the library, but bought my own copy so I can white out all those quotes and replace them with a more accurate translation.
Ki
Feb 24, 2009 Ki rated it really liked it
I never know how to rate a Lucado. It was a great book. Lighter on the doctrine, and heavy on the fluff, but man! Great fluff. The kind of fluff that really attaches the doctrine to your heart. Nice.

And I guess it can't be heavy all the time.
Jo
Jul 10, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing
Wow! I needed this... I listened to it - two and half times... Beautiful description of Grace... Thank you for the Atonement!!!
Lauren
Jun 02, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
In college, I took a "Sociology of Murder" class with Dr. Ron Homles. Dr. Holmes was one of the profilers that worked on Ted Bundy's case (Ted had his home phone number, he said. "Honey, Ted Bundy's on the phone...") While Dr. Holmes was passing out our tests one day, he mentioned that he is a Christian and that Ted Bundy - just before he died - became a Chrisitan also and asked God for forgiveness of his sins. After a moment of stunned silence from the students (now thinking back, the whole top ...more
Lance Lumley
I read this book many years a go as part of a Youth Bible Study that I was a co-leader in, and read it again some time later. I got rid or lost my copy and found this copy at a book sale and decided to read the book again. I am not a huge Lucado fan, but enjoy this book dealing with the Book of Romans. Once again I used the book as a form of a devotional while going through the book of Romans, and enjoyed reconnecting with the book, from Lucado's illustrations to his simple summary of the verses ...more
Mar 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
My favorite Lucado book. One of the reasons is the parable of the river. Very few times in this life do you read something that forces you to look at yourself and really realize what kind of person you are. Max Lucado has that ability and he uses plain language and regular situations to do it.
Stephanie
Mar 08, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful explanation about grace... I didn't fully comprehend what grace truly was until in my 30's. Phenomenal book.
Stanley
Feb 03, 2014 Stanley rated it liked it
Max Lucado walks through the book of Romans. Of note: check out the Parable of the River he uses to open the book.
Vanessa
Feb 21, 2014 Vanessa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Folks taking a break from Bible-it will make you want to return to the Holy Bible
Recommended to Vanessa by: First Lady Lillian Ojeda-a Powerful Woman of God
This book took me a long time to read for several reasons, some personal, some not. I was first attracted to the challenge questions for each chapter in the book. They were functional at first and then became over bearing to me. I have learned that Lucado's manner of making a point involves telling a metaphorical story. while this was effective for some points related to grace it was not needed for every concept. It became taxing having to read these parables and comparing them to the points Luc ...more
Miriam
May 03, 2016 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy bueno!!!
FRAGMENTO DEL LIBRO:

Durante los primeros días de la guerra civil un soldado de la Unión fue arrestado y acusado de deserción. Incapaz de probar su inocencia, se le condenó y sentenció a morir como los desertores. Su apelación logró llegar hasta hasta el escritorio de Abraham Lincoln. El presidente sintió misericordia por el soldado y firmó el perdón. El soldado regresó al ejército, luchó durante toda la guerra y murió en la última batalla. En el bolsillo del pecho encontraron la cart
Ginger
Jan 09, 2015 Ginger rated it it was amazing
This book was part of my decision to go back to church after 40 years of being a non-practitioner. I am so thankful that I discovered Max Lucado; my life is now in the hands of our Lord and I have real inner peace for the first time in many years.
Dani
Feb 26, 2016 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"La respuesta de Pablo a la gracia de Dios es un quinteto de preguntas, disparadas como fuegos pirotécnicos, no para pedir respuestas, sino para asombrar (...)"

Romanos 8:31-35
1) Si Dios es por nosotros, ¿quién contra nosotros?
2) El que no escatimó ni a su propio Hijo, sino que lo entregó por todos nosotros, ¿cómo no nos dará también con él todas las cosas?
3) ¿Quién acusará a los escogidos de Dios? Dios es el que justifica.
4) ¿Quién es el que condenará? Cristo es el que murió; más aun, el que ta
Alex
Apr 25, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
I loved the message behind this book! I did feel like the constant metaphors became a bit much by the end, though. One or two would have been fine, but there was one on practically every page.
Mary Baker
Apr 04, 2016 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
I always get a mental, emotional and spiritual boost from reading Max Lucado. I can read and reread his writings and always get a blessing from the experience.
Audrey Southorn
Nov 05, 2014 Audrey Southorn rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed reading books by Max Lucado. His books are a great way to learn about God and even prayer.i try to get them whenever there is a new one out.
Irina T
Feb 18, 2016 Irina T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is somewhat different than his other books I've read so far, more theological, but as beautiful or even more so beautiful. I highly recommend it!
Kory
Feb 03, 2015 Kory rated it really liked it
Been a while since I read any Lucado. He has such an approachable style, and his books read like a sermon–one which always comes across with a great deal of patient love.

I contend that The Parable of the River, which is the opening chapter here, is one of the greatest modern contributions to understanding God's Grace, particularly by displaying our varied responses to it. Like Jesus' parables, it gives you a chance to identify with a character, and thereby better understand your actual responsiv
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
In his vivid prose, Lucado illustrates the grace of God. His points are loosely based on the first chapters of Romans, and he uses several modern day parables to illustrate the barriers that people put up to receiving God's grace. It's a uplifting and sometimes challenging look at how legalism, judgementalism, and "I can do it myself"ism seperate us from God. This audio version was an execellent adaptation, I loved the "ka-ching" sound effects that they used when they were talking about the soun ...more
Katie
Mar 17, 2016 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. His analogies and stories are horrible and often didn't connect to the Scripture!
S. Sloan
Oct 23, 2014 S. Sloan rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado writes so beautifully. Very inspirational book.
Jen Heavener
Nov 22, 2015 Jen Heavener rated it it was amazing
Grace wins.
DAMON WINTERS
Apr 18, 2012 DAMON WINTERS rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books on grace! God's grace is simply amazing...we can never fall too far! Max Lucado has such a terrific way of expressing his thoughts on paper. He's able to say in a few words what my heart truly feels. This is a great read, no matter where you may be in life, especially if you are feeling that you have made a terrible mess of your life, beyond God's repair. If you're down, it'll lift your spirit; if you're up, it'll strengthen your confidence in God's love for you.
Tracy
Jan 22, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful book of Max Lucado's. He has just a gift for applying Gods word.
David Smith
Feb 16, 2016 David Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this as part of my 8th sabbatical in January 2016.

That last chapter. Boom!
Shay Gore
Jun 19, 2013 Shay Gore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: closer-to-god
This book made grace such an easy concept to grasp. It's crazy that one who's been a Christian so long would have to say that, but nonetheless, thank God for this message. Lucado's funny anecdotes and innovative way of bring the Word to life, makes it easy to see how God's grace is a gift to us all. Most of all, we can leave knowing we have a God who loves us so much, that there's nothing we can do to stop him.
Groovy Granny
Dec 30, 2008 Groovy Granny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is a great inspiration, as are all of Max Lucado's books. His opening story entitled, "The Parable of the River" is a great example of how man separates himself from God. Lucado describes, for us, the definition of grace and how, many times, we refuse to accept God's gift due to our own absorption with ourselves. A truly inspirational read by one of my favorite authors.
Glenn
Nov 25, 2012 Glenn rated it really liked it
This is a solid, and at times, quite moving, examination of Paul's epistle to the Romans. I found the book easy to read, and finished it in the space of two days — quite speedy for me. I found it both instructive and a comfort. While Lucado isn't normally my cup of tea, I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to go deeper into the subject of God's Grace.
Vicky S (mynameisbibliophile)
Aug 07, 2012 Vicky S (mynameisbibliophile) rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
It's really easy for me to read a book like this and say, "Yeah, I know all of this already." But that's not the point. The point is believing it. It's so easy to hear over and over that the Lord will always forgive and love you, but when are we going to start believing it? This book gave me a lot to think about it, even though I had heard it all before.
Fernanda La Salye
Pode alguma coisa separa-nos do amor que Cristo tem por nós? O Autor convida a escalar o cume da montanha da misericórdia divina. Nas Garras da Graça recordará a você que o Deus que o criou é suficientemente forte para sustentá-lo. Ele mostra que a dimensão da Graça de Deus é imensamente maior que os nossos conceitos de pecado, justiça e até amor.
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living it Is Another
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • The Body
  • The Passion of Jesus Christ
  • Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive
  • Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them
  • The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...

“Our God is abundant in love and steadfast in mercy. He saves us, not because we trust in a symbol, but because we trust in a Savior.” 20 likes