Start by marking “He Chose the Nails” as Want to Read:
He Chose the Nails

He Chose the Nails

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  19,208 Ratings  ·  266 Reviews
Outline Reading a Max Lucado book is as comfortable as having coffee and conversation with a close friend. He Chose the Nails: What God Did to Win Your Heart is signature Lucado: warm, conversational
Published February 3rd 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about He Chose the Nails, please sign up.

Alex To this specific book or Lucado's other books?

Dhanaraj Rajan
Jul 30, 2012 Dhanaraj Rajan rated it really liked it
All of Lucado's books are spiritually enriching. I am a priest and Lcado's books always bring God close to me.
Paola Sunga
Jan 03, 2013 Paola Sunga rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book, all I know is that Jesus died on the cross for me to be saved. That's it. I took it for granted and never appreciated it. I just cannot understand how other people can truly understand the meaning of the cross and how it changed and still changing their lives. But after reading this book, now I understand what the cross truly means. It is a gift. And who am I that God gave His only Son for me to experience freedom, His love and His mercy. Reading this book allowed me to ...more
Jason
Oct 24, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it
Max Lucado writes, "Much has been said about the gift of the cross itself, but what of the other gifts? What of the nails, the crown of thorns? What about the garment taken? What about the garment given?" and it continues. With that as an introduction, I will say that despite reading many books on Christianity, faith, Christ and so on, I had never looked quite at all of the things surrounding the cross, Jesus' crucifixion, and resurrection in the way that Lucado looks at them in this book.

With t
Carol
Nov 22, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
Today is Good Friday -- 4/18/2014 -- As a Christian, this is a book I read every "Good Friday" along with the DVD "The Passion of the Christ," an amazing film. If you watch the film, it will change the way you look at your faith.

This book was inspired by a Russian Christian who left a cross on Lucado's desk one Sunday with a note that said how his new faith in Jesus led him to retrieve the nails from an old abandoned Russian church and form those nails into a cross and around the cross he wove
Karie Hall
Apr 03, 2012 Karie Hall rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado has such a unique way with words and describes in ways which make you think and actually wonder, why didn't I think of that! This is truly one of my favorite of his books and I have enjoyed all that I have read. His insights are quite amazing.

What GOD did to WIN YOUR HEART

I am so glad that it fell to my lot to review this book. It has been published some time, but only been brought to my notice recently. Max Lucado writes very simply and clearly, but within his writing is deep underst
Teressa
Feb 21, 2013 Teressa rated it it was amazing
Amazing perspective gained thanks to this book! I am all about enriching my relationship with Christ and this book truly further opened my eyes as to what all took place at the Cross! Beautifully yet humorously written! GOD is the Author and Creator and nothing that took place at the Cross was by mere coincidence or random. Nothing Our GOD does is in vain, not the choosing of whom was sacrificed nor how HE was sacrificed. Highly recommended!

Such an AMAZING and LOVING GOD we serve!
Elle
Apr 09, 2011 Elle rated it it was amazing
I chose to switch books by Max Lucado to this one since it is Lent season. The book was very touching and thought evoking - I enjoyed it immensely and recommend it to anyone. The book touches on various aspects of the Crucifixion and really shows how much God loves us to be willing to go through what he did. Although the subject matter is very intense and, heart-rendering, it isn't a dark book by any stretch. I was nervous about reading it due to the subject matter but Max didn't focus on the to ...more
Liz Bierly
Mar 19, 2017 Liz Bierly rated it it was amazing
As a Christian, I never wanted to get to the point where I took Jesus for granted ... and yet, I started to tune out when we talk about the cross in church. This book completely shifted how I view the cross and Jesus' PERSONAL sacrifice for me and my sins. I sat down to read the first few chapters and had to pull out a pen and highlighter because there was so much to dig into. Incredibly blessed by this book and would absolutely recommend it, whether you are a Christian or Atheist or anywhere in ...more
Daniela Gonzalez
Sencillamente excelente, no encuentro otra palabra que lo describa. El lenguaje es claro y directo y te hace ver lo que ocurrió en el calvario de otra perspectiva.
Álex Oliva
Feb 17, 2017 Álex Oliva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Lucado tiene esa habilidad de llevarte hasta lo más alto y dejarte caer en un abismo de realidad que pocos logran, y que te hace pensar y repensar los relatos bíblicos.

Me gusta mucho descubrir cómo es que cada palabra escrita en la Biblia (y cada "evento" y "microevento") fue puesta para dar un sentido específico y mucho más amplio del que comunmente pensamos.

Una vez más queda demostrado que la Biblia es más profunda que extensa.
Bill
Apr 02, 2017 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The message of the cross was never intended to be theology for your head, but doxology for your heart. Max writes in a way that helps you think about the cross in a way that brings you to your knees as you experience afresh the meaning of the cross.
Dawn
Apr 28, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
An invitation to linger on Calvary. A look at the pieces that make up the Crucifixion. A chance to understand why. The answer may not be the one we want to hear, but it's the one we need and that's that He did it just for me and for you.

From the back of the book:

Linger on the hill of Calvary.
Rub a finger on the timber and press the nail into your hand.
Taste the tinge of cheap wine and feel the scrape of a thorn on your brow.
Touch the velvet dirt, moist with the blood of God.
Allow the tools of to
Carôle Ceres
Mar 03, 2013 Carôle Ceres rated it it was amazing
This book is just what is needed to understand from a fresh perspective, the gift of God's Grace, Jesus Christ's Sacrifice & the entire gift of Salvation.

If, after reading this book, you are not assured of God's love for you, then at least when you re-read the accounts in The Gospels, you'll have pause & cause to wonder.

Max Lucado has a God given talent for teaching the Gospel in such a way that 20th & 21st century citizens can be guided to God in a language they understand.
Jen
Nov 20, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
I am not a big fan of Lucado, so I will save space so that others may gush about his saccharine sweet salvation-y snippets.
Faye Villanueva
Jan 29, 2010 Faye Villanueva is currently reading it
i'm getting magnetized by the cross. it's irresistible!
David Wijaya
Aug 02, 2009 David Wijaya rated it it was amazing
Very worth it.. I love the way Max explains everything!
Jeffery Bertram
Dec 27, 2010 Jeffery Bertram rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors!
Puan Sari
Nov 13, 2008 Puan Sari rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Why have You chosen me out of million Your child to be? Engkau mengambil tempat terhina untuk lahir dan mengambil cara yang paling hina untuk mati, demi kita....
Khym
Sep 06, 2007 Khym rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heavenly
the first book i read from max. brought me to tears and on my knees. great book.
Chanover55
Jan 21, 2017 Chanover55 rated it liked it
This was my first foray into the books of Max Lucado. While I love the book and the way he presented the various gifts of the cross, which I had not of thought of in this way before, I was less impressed with the study guide that goes along with this book. The study guide in the back of the book differs from the one used with his video study. Discussion questions are hard to find amid his continued teachings and, in my opinion, some of the questions seem to come out of nowhere or seem so superfi ...more
Traci Sessions
May 09, 2017 Traci Sessions rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written book. I started reading this book on Easter Sunday. I was at home sick unable to attend church and quite frankly feeling sorry for myself. This book reminded me of what Christ did and He not only died for the world but each of us personally. The book brought to life the different parts of the death and resurrection things like the crown of thorns, the prisoners etc. and why they were important and what they represented. This book helped remind me that Jesus is aware of me and ...more
Elijah Abanto
May 18, 2017 Elijah Abanto rated it really liked it
Finished this amazing book yesterday. Max Lucado's conversational style and deep Scripture knowledge have been used by God to teach me how every aspect of the Crucifixion and the Tomb is a showcase of how God loves me. I heartily recommend this book to all!
Maurice Rubino
May 13, 2017 Maurice Rubino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God's Love Explained through the Ultimate Sacrifice

Max Lucado's book "He Chose the Nails" provides you with a deep understanding of God's love for us using the symbols found at Jesus's crucification and how we can share in the love God has for us.
Yrag Notsew
Mar 03, 2017 Yrag Notsew rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Simply written. Devotional. Moving. So Biblical! I highly recommend it.
Neil
I enjoyed this book. It was like a breath of fresh air, a warm sun on a cold winter’s day. I took my time with it, savoring it. I do not know if I can say it was ‘deep’, per se, as others might call deep, but it did give interesting insights into aspects of Christianity I thought I had already ‘known.’ Each chapter highlights different aspects of Jesus’ death on the cross and the choices He made in regard to the cross and to us.

For instance, consider when Jesus cried out, ‘My God, my God, why h
Yunita
Dec 28, 2015 Yunita added it
Alex
I really liked Lucado's writing style, as it kept me reading without the usual bouts of... I need some time to figure out what I just read... that I usually go through when reading inspirational books.
But there was also some hesitation in regard to some of what was being taught. Some of that could be attributed to the verbage... I'm not used to things being told so bluntly or... modernly (is that even a word?).
Overall it was a good book, but I don't foresee myself ever reading it again.

... knowi
Mary Baker
Feb 19, 2017 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this book very much. I laughed at some of Lucado's anecdotes and shed tears over others. This is a good book to read during the Lenten season of the church. It is a quick read which is full of promises for God's children.
Apr 19, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I must admit, this book was different to I thought it would be, by reading the back I thought it would lean more to an emotional look at what Jesus did for us, but Lucado's writing style is very humorous and easy without making a mockery of cross. Rather he unpacks the love behind it in a 'big brotherly' way. Every chapter begins with a page of relevant scripture verses and quotes, and there is a large study guide at the end. The writing is so well put together that you can be laughing your head ...more
Mel
Dec 13, 2016 Mel rated it liked it
This is the first Lucado, (Luh-CAY-do) book I've ever read. There were parts of the book that I connected with and made the book worthwhile.
What I didn't like; the scriptures at the beginning of each chapter in various versions, the story about him lying about his name pronunciation, and two quick examples of questionable or incomplete information.
pg. 82 "No one but the high priest entered the Holy of Holies." No one else was supposed to but Pompey, a paganist, did defile the Holy of Holies in
Where to buy the cheap Nail Printer Machine? 1 2 Aug 13, 2016 06:15PM
  • If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • The Jesus I Never Knew
  • More Than a Carpenter
  • Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God
  • The Passion of Jesus Christ
  • The God Chasers: "My Soul Follows Hard After Thee"
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • The Mystery of God's Will
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Those Who Stood for Jesus, the Ultimate Jesus Freaks (Jesus Freaks, #1)
  • Revolution in World Missions
  • Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds
  • In His Steps
  • Life Application Study Bible: NIV
With more than 125 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing September 2017 and is titled Anxious for Nothing.

More about Max Lucado...

“The same hand that stilled the seas stills your guilt.
The same hand that cleansed the Temple cleanses your heart.
The hand is the hand of God.
The nail is the nail of God.
And as the hands of Jesus opened for the nail, the doors of heaven opened for you.”
24 likes
“But here the correlation with Beauty and the Beast ends. In the fable, the beauty kisses the beast. In the Bible, the beauty does much more. He becomes the beast so the beast can become the beauty. Jesus changes places with us. We, like Adam, were under a curse, but Jesus "changed places with us and put himself under that curse" (Gal. 3:13).” 18 likes