Start by marking “Neon Genesis Evangelion, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Volume 1

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Volume 1 (Neon Genesis Evangelion #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  4,057 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The U.S. graphic novel debut of the most controversial "giant robot" series ever produced A handful of teenagers must pilot huge biomechanical robots -- the Evangelion combat units -- against monstrous "Angels" bent on destroying humanity.
Published December 6th 1998 by Viz Media (first published August 29th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Neon Genesis Evangelion, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neon Genesis Evangelion, Volume 1

Sesana
Of course I've heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I think anyone who's had more than a passing interest in anime and manga has. But I'd never watched the anime or read the manga, because it just didn't look like my sort of thing. So I read it now, because it has such amazingly (and consistently) good word of mouth. After reading volume one, I can say two things about the manga: the word of mouth is justified, and it still isn't my sort of thing.
Wesley Beltz
This is an interesting reinterpretation of the story from the anime. There are some notable differences mainly in the sequence of events, as well as the demeanor of Shinji. If you thought Shinji was too whiny in the anime, you may enjoy this better. It's also interesting in the way that the story is told more through Shinji's eyes. If you want to know more about the characters and their background you would probably enjoy this.
Manaf
Good God, this manga took for ever to reach an ending! It took almost 18 years to get all 14 volumes done!

I always wanted to see the Anime version of Evangelion but instead, I decided to read the Manga because it was so well drawn! This has to be one of the best artistic work in Manga and I really like how the Mechs were drawn in it. I could see where Mr Shinkawa (Metal Gear Solid) got his artistic inspiration :)

The plot is a good mix of drama, apocalyptic set, philosophy and war. While I may no
Ysabet
Evangelion was my favorite anime series for a while, and I still have a huge soft spot for it despite disliking both of the endings.

Even without knowing how the manga version is going to end (I keep hoping Sadamoto will deliver an ending I believe, unlike Anno), I think it's a superior piece of work so far. The story is tighter and the changes made to the characters are interesting (some are improvements, some are just intriguing differences). I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it ends
Rachel
The angels have come for humanity, so now it is up to last minute recruit Shinji, to pilot the Evangelion, and determine its fate. Mystery surrounds the entire series; what the angels and eva's are, what are the aims of Nerv, and its benefactors, and more. Religious overtones, sci-fi action, and an exploration of the mental states, and beliefs of its characters, adds to the overall complexity of Evangelion's plot.

In the first volume, Shinji starts off distant, having been abandoned by his fathe
Erik Hawksley
I wish there was any sort of way for me to explain this plot but even after watching the Anime, the movies, the reboot,
I'm still confused to the point of headaches. A side note though, whatever this is is amazing. To give you as little info as possible a biy named Shinji is called upon by his father whom he hasn't seen in a few years and strongly dislikes to pilot a giant mech to save the world from aliens. This has it all, amazing art, a good mix of action and slow moments, amazing characters w
Nativeabuse
Wow, I don't know which I like better the anime or this, I went in expecting a carbon copy of the anime, but I got something with even more philosophical undertones and more detail!

I love where this is heading and I only hope that it keeps heading in this direction of being more detailed than the anime.
Shazza Maddog
I've seen bits and pieces of the anime this manga is based off of, and thought I should read to find out what I missed in watching the anime. So far as I can tell, the first book follows the anime pretty much scene for scene. I am still terribly confused. Terribly.

Why would something as expensive as an EVA be given to someone who doesn't have any clue how to make it work? It all boils down to me having to suspend my disbelief a little harder than I really wanted to. I still like poor Shinji, who
Damar hening Sunyiaji
Saya penggemar berat serial evangelion. Neon genesis evangelion atau shin seiki evangelion tamat di episode 26 dan telah dibuat movie beserta end of eva sebagai premis cerita. Ada tetralogi yang belum rampung pula berkaitan dengan proyek rebuild evangelion. Manganya sendiri dikabarkan akan tamat di vol. 13, beberapa minggu lalu terbit vol. 12 nya setelah hampir setahun setengah gak ada kabar.

Evangelion adalah master piece karya sutradara hideaki ano. Menggunakan referensi alkitab dan psikoanali
Sergio Zheng
This book is about a city in Japan that is been attack by strange creatures. This strange creatures are aliens but they call this creatures "Angels". With all this "Angel" attacks the people in Japan created a corporation called NERV. NERV created evangelions to defeat this angels. Evangelions are robots that fuse with a pilot. This pilot needs to be a teenager because of its changing mind problems. This robots also consume a lot of electricity of Japan. In total there are 3 evangelions. This ro ...more
Charles
AE Reiff
BACKGROUNDS OF EVE(A)

The title comes from the first Gospel written, transliterates evangelion from Mark 1.1, meaning good news: “The beginning [genesis] of the euangelion εὐαγγέλιον , thus genesis evangelion. This implicates the author of the anime version Hideaki Anno http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_... created by Gainax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainax in a serious theological statement, but it is left to us to understand how far it should be taken. Although the anime version was conc
Brian
If Alan Moore's Watchmen is a 'classic' of the dark-fantasy comic genre, then NGE is a 'classic' of anime, and one with an incredibly loyal cult following. This, then, is the manga adaptation of one of that original contoversial, yet incredibly successful, anime.

I loved the anime series, although not a fanatical fan, as I thought both endings were EXTREMELY disappointing and actually detracted from the story. After reading this first 'book' I have to admit that I am impressed how well this adap
CJ
Aug 29, 2008 CJ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CJ by: my brother
I originally watched the anime series and fell in love with the complexity of the plot and the singular uniqueness of the Evas. However, it left me with more questions.

This manga offers succinctness and clarity in all the places where the anime did not. The quality of the art is top notch and consistent with the feel of the anime version. Also, this edition offers a phonetic glossary of the katakana and hiragana FX text along with the sound it is meant to represent. This became increasingly inte
Alexander Case
Good start to the series. I particularly like the changes that Yoshiyuki Sadamoto made to Shinji for the manga version. I've kind of realized that certain character personalities work better as written characters (whether in prose fiction or in sequential art), and others work better in motion mediums (like anime or live action film). The characterization changes just work better here.

The one complaint I have is that I lose track of the action in some of the action sequences, particularly when t
Chris Landry
The anime series I randomly stumbled upon at blockbuster 20 years ago and I'm still obsessed. Philosophy, religion, and amazing character development.
Izzy
I seem to be in the minority that hasn't watched the anime first, so this was my first introduction to the world of Evangelion. I don't typically enjoy manga that's very action-heavy, and I did gloss over the battle scenes to some extent, but all in all, I thought this was a solid first volume. Shinji is an interesting character because at first sight, he seems rather weak and cowardly, but there seems to be some hidden strength to him and I'd like to see how his character development progresses ...more
Henry
This is the manga adaptation of one of the most successful (and it's said, controversial) anime series ever. I most said, I am impressed how well this adaptation works. It's like watching the same series from a slightly different angle. Because you are not told everything in the beginning, the panels with empty classrooms, sunken cities, and deserted streets speak volumes. But the main focus, just like in the series, is the characters. Their personalities come alive, and I am sure that for many ...more
Blade
Not bad. The first manga I've ever read.
Quran
I liked this book because it was made in japenese comic book form. I also liked it beacuse there was alot of action and it was a very surprising boobk. I like this author because the way she or he wrote reminded me of naruto. I like the main character because he is nice and brave and always ready to do something for his country. When he was knocked out cold and ended up in some heaven like place when he came out of that trans he was destroying and beasting on the other robot he was facing and in ...more
Ryan
I picked this up from the library after watching the first two episodes of the anime. It has the same basic story, but told in a more linear fashion. It's an interesting premise, although so far not the most original - giant monsters are attacking Tokyo, and our heroes have to don giant suits of armour to battle them. It's told well, though, and the characters seem interesting enough, so I think I'll stick with it to see where it goes.
Eric
Although I don't usually read manga, this has got to be an exception. Unfortunately, this is a mere shadow of the anime, but then, again this anime has never surpassed. Not by Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Bebop (maybe Bebop), DBZ,or anything, before and after this. On the list of human achievement, my personal belief is that it ranks with the likes of the Brahms Violin Concerto. Yes, it is that good.
Jon
Not bad. Sometimes the action was hard to make out, I suspect in part due to the fact I'm still getting used to looking at it from right to left. I suspect while it doesn't take too long to get used to reading the text but there's something more subtle going on with processing movement. I might read the next one or two, although I'm not terribly compelled to do so yet.
Lord
It's difficult to rate Evangelion in a manga form. We all know the story well from the anime and it's interesting enough to be interesting as manga. But I don't especially fancy mecha fights in a manga form. They tend to be very chaotic, you never know what exactly is going on, be it Gundam or Evangelion. The first is just a prequel of better things to come.
Benjamin
This is my third run-through of the Evangelion series (probably tenth of the first episode). I'm picking up even more things that I missed in the TV series. This comic series is pretty much panel-for-panel the show, with an added Shinji philosophical subplot, introducing some things that predict later things in the show.

Very enjoyable.
A Book Addict (pirogoeth)
This is another case of having seen the anime and I've got almost all the manga. I just haven't started reading it before now. They've done a great job with this manga version of the anime. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. It's been a while since I watched it, but it definitely is spot on!
Federiken Masters
Jan 13, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo
Recommended to Federiken by: Obligación laboral, placer personal
La historia que contiene este tomo ya la tenía leída, releída y recontraleída de la vieja edición en medio tomo, pero gracias a un cuidado mucho mayor y a una encuadernación verdaderamente linda, casi diría que me gusta más este tomo. Lástima que a partir del tomo 4 no me consta que haya tanto cuidado...
Dru
Set in a war torn future that's being attacked by giant 'Angels', Shinjiis summoned by his father, who left the family years ago, to pilot a giant robot and defend the city. Art is pretty and the story is just beginning, so I reserve the right to change my rating at some point.
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 3
  • Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, Volume 1 (Cowboy Bebop, Shooting Star, #1)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 01: Rusty Angel
  • X/1999, Volume 01: Prelude
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! # 1 (Trigun, #1)
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 02: To Plant
  • FLCL, Volume 1 (FLCL, #1)
  • Video Girl Ai, Vol.  01: Preproduction
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is a Japanese character designer, mangaka, and one of the founding members of the Gainax anime studio.

Also the character designer for the .hack//Games and the Package designer for the .hack//GU games.
More about Yoshiyuki Sadamoto...
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 02 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 03 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 05 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 04 Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 06