Start by marking “The Way Home: A Princess Story” as Want to Read:
The Way Home: A Princess Story

The Way Home: A Princess Story

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Princess Anna, adopted by the king in her infancy and now a young woman, is intrigued by the world that lies beyond the lush, green hills of the kingdom. When she seeks to satisfy her curiosity, she falls under the influence of the Lowlanders and begins to resemble their haggard style. Never to let a child slip away that easily, the king follows her, and trades his life fo ...more
Published October 19th 2005 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Home

April Poulter
Jan 27, 2014 April Poulter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
This is a beautiful book from an illustration standpoint, story standpoint, and spiritual standpoint. The illustrations are well done and realistic. The story is kind of long and could be boring for younger children. The spiritual message is what makes the story impactful. If you have ever read anything by Max Lucado before, you know that you can expect a spiritual message as the basis of the story. While younger children might enjoy this book, it would be better appreciated and understood among ...more
Cassie Paries
Jan 21, 2015 Cassie Paries rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy
This book has a great message about remembering who we really are. In the book a princess wants to explore the dark forest and so she does and is captured by the evil in the forest. Her father goes into the forest to save her and remind her who she really is. He shows her the way out and helps her know her worth. This is a wonderful book to read to those who may be struggling to understand their self-worth. It is uplifting and teaches about the love of a parent or other caring adult. It helps te ...more
Scott
Dec 10, 2008 Scott rated it liked it
Reasonably well illustrated--the lines of the watercolors are crisp, and the faces beautiful, but there seem to be details lacking, as though the artist lacked imagination of what to do with so much canvas. Often I buy children's books for the pictures first, and then the story; this one does not qualify in that regard.

The story is reminiscent of the "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," with the king sacrificing himself for an errant adopted princess. In comparison to Lewis' powerful classic
Cathy Cramer
This story is an allegory of God's love for us, and for the risk and pain that Jesus took for us, when He came to redeem us. The main character leaves her father the King of her own free will, but then ends up bedraggled and trapped. He rescues her. The pictures in this book may be frightening for the very young, but my 6 y old did fine with them.
Ashlee Moser
Sep 30, 2014 Ashlee Moser rated it really liked it
This book really surprised me. It turned out to have a very spiritual message of a father helping a daughter overcome a struggle. I thought it was really a great read. It was simple to understand but also had deeper meanings.
Alexis
Jan 28, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: january
I enjoyed this book and the pictures were great, they had so much detail in each one. The only thing that was hard was it was so long. To use this with children you would want to read it to an older group because of the length and it might be hard for them to focus.
Oznasia
May 26, 2016 Oznasia rated it liked it
Illustrations are beautiful, plot is so so.
Joann10
Nov 08, 2009 Joann10 rated it really liked it
Princess Anna is intrigued by the dark forest outside the castle walls, and thinks she would have a better life if she followed this path of her own, but she soon discovers her mistake and find out, through her fathers love, that there is only one path to happiness. My 9 year old "got" the symbolism right away, but my just turned 8 year old, needed more explaination to get the "deeper" meaning of this book.
Shelley
Jan 04, 2015 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: age-8
Good idea with the book, but it seemed a little disconnected at the end with the father/king giving of himself. ...That seemed rushed over somehow.
I may like it later when my kids are older and need a story about making poor choices they don't feel they can be forgiven of. Maybe a little older than a four year old type book.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Feb 19, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I reall enjoyed this beautifully written and illustrated book. I think it was slightly too old for the girls, although Abby at almost 6, did catch on enough to make somewhat of a connection to the spiritual emphasis of the book. It is one that I would like to own in the future.
Lea
Feb 27, 2012 Lea rated it it was amazing
Since my reception of this book when I was little, this story has always held a special place in my heart. The beautiful illustrations and the simple, yet thought-provoking theme have been treasured by me to this very day.
Jan 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love the allegory to Christ in the book. It's an amazing picture of Christ's love for us. My kids at work love the story too since it's got a Princess and King in it.
Julie
May 22, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
I love the message of the book. Its alittle scary for little kids, though.
Rachel
Mar 25, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-teen-ya
I did a dramatic retelling of this story for an assignement at Bible School.
Allison
Dec 15, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
I L-O-V-E this book. Especially for my daughter. Great message.
Jan Geldenhuys
Jan Geldenhuys rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Danette
Danette rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Johann Melgar
Johann Melgar marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Catie
Catie added it
Mar 21, 2016
BEv LEe
BEv LEe rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Mike
Mike added it
Mar 16, 2016
Tara
Tara added it
Mar 06, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
  • When Jessie Came Across the Sea
  • Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter
  • The Littles and the Terrible Tiny Kid
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty & the Beast Tale
  • The Pumpkin Patch Parable (The Parable Series)
  • Time to Pee!
  • The Crazy Christmas Angel Mystery (Cul-de-sac Kids, #3)
  • National Geographic Kids Almanac 2011
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The Civil War
  • God Gave Us Love
  • The Princess and the White Bear King (book and cd)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...