A Wicked Gentleman (Cavendish Square, #1)

A Wicked Gentleman (Cavendish Square #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  820 ratings  ·  50 reviews

Pooling their meager resources, Lady Cornelia Dagenham, her sister-in-law Aurelia, and their friend Liv Lacey arrive in London's Cavendish Square to spend a month at the home Liv has just inh...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Pocket Star (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Wicked Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wicked Gentleman

Marian
I've read many books by Jane Feather and have either loved or liked all of them. This book begins the Cavendish Square trilogy. It's a funny love story with spies thrown in. I think the 3 female characters are well written and I'm looking forward to the next books in this series.

I highly recommend Jane Feather and her books.
Ashley
Dec 25, 2007 Ashley rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one!
Setting: Regency England
I couldn't even finish this novel because it was so boring and disgusting. The plot started out promising: a group of three young ladies from the country (two widows and a spinster) and their children arrive in London to check out one of the lady's new inheritance - a ramshackle house in the middle of London's finest property district. The ladies are really just hoping for a fun vacation in the city, and aren't really interested in mixing into society. However shortly upo...more
Eliza
Aug 22, 2007 Eliza rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of regency/spy romances
Shelves: romance
Okay, here's the thing. I normally quite like Jane Feather's work - she's not my favourite by a long shot, but her heroines are usually engaging and her heroes always walk the fine line between alpha male and douchebag without crossing it, which I approve of. This novel was no different. Except, of course, for the fact that I never really got interested in the heroine, who was at times that kiss of death for any good romance heroine, Too Stupid To Live. My other main problem with the book was th...more
Tori
May 30, 2007 Tori rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
This book took very long to read. It had no gripper plot. It was a shame to because it started out so good and could have been excellent if the plot did not fizzle out mid -book. The characters also need a lot of polish, you don't quite get the indepth feeling you get from Dodd's or Robert's books. I would not suggest this as a good read.
vorbore
As I said, I would like if there would have been more Regency in this book. Also, the characters were a bit shallow, not very engaging, and although we were constantly warned about the sparks and the tension, I am sorry, but I could not feel any of it. Gotta find a real Regency novel...
Red
Series Cavendish Square ini tentang tiga sahabat yang, salah satu dari mereka merupakan ahli waris dan mendapatkan rumah di London. Ketika mereka mendapat penawaran yang sangat tinggi untuk membeli rumah warisan itu, mereka bertiga akhirnya mendapat alasan yang tepat untuk datang ke London. Lady Cornelia Dagenham, seorang yang lebih dewasa diantara mereka, lah yang pertama kali bertemu dengan sang penawar. Walau awal pertemuan mereka tidak bagus, yang membuat Cornelia memainkan sebuah sandiwara...more
Elle
I was a little disappointed to find this was a Regency, since Feather does so well with history and since I'm kind of Regency'd to death. However, this was still a breath of fresh air.

The story starts when a man, pursued by enemies, breaks into an old, somewhat derelict residence to hide the message that he needed to protect.

Enter the hero, Harry Bonham, whose work involves coding and decoding messages between England's agents abroad and the ministry. It was his message that was nearly stolen,...more
Nicole
Jane Feather - A Wicked Gentleman (Cavendish Square #1) Very funny & Witty.
Love Jane Feather!

Bestselling author Jane Feather brings to life the glamour, sophistication, and intrigue of Regency-era London in this captivating novel of unexpected passions and dangerous secrets.Pooling their meager resources, Lady Cornelia Dagenham, her sister-in-law Aurelia, and their friend Liv Lacey arrive in London's Cavendish Square to spend a month at the home Liv has just inherited. But why anyone would s...more
Kelly
A sassy little historical romance with a touch of intrigue and devious shenanigans thrown in for color. Both Harry and Cornelia were immensely likable and their interactions, from the first case of mistaken identity right on through their late night get-togethers, were fun and fiery.

It was nice to have our main lady love not only be a widow but have two children that she's deeply devoted to. She doesn't much care for the shallowness of the society ladies or the insipidness of the men. She loves...more
21/11 - Really sweet, mostly innocent romance. The romance itself is not particularly steamy, the heroine is a countrified widow with 2 young children who comes to London to chaperone a similarily aged friend while she views a newly inherited house. The hero works for the war office, mostly dealing with spies and codes; he's strong and muscular and supposedly good in a fight, but we've yet to see him have to exert any real energy in that way. Everything is pretty tame, the bad guys (the French a...more
Very enjoyable Regency romance, well written (for a genre romance), and with a bit of spying thrown in. I particularly liked the heroine and her two friends and look forward to reading the other two books in this series.
Lindsey Faye
With the exception of the more-detail-than-needed descriptions of certain scenes, this was a very good story. I loved the look into the "daily lives" of people in the nineteenth century. The whole mystery surrounding Harry and his codes was so fun to read. I loved the end when the story picked up and the conflict was palpable.

Overall, a good book; the only thing that I disliked was the 'R' rated sex scenes. Honestly, if it was a Nora Robert's type of scene, it would have the story so much better...more
Abby
Cornelia Dagenham, a widow with two small children, moves into a dilapidated old house in fashionable Cavendish Square with two of her friends. The mysterious Viscount Bonham soon shows up at their door, first with an offer to buy the crumbling home, and later to continue verbally sparing with Cornelia. What Viscount Bonham is really after is a thimble, engraved with war secrets, that was hidden in the house. But as tensions between Bonham and Cornelia grow, Bonham's mission is jeopardized by hi...more
Melanie
Good enough to get me to read book 2. should have skipped to 3.
Angelyn Schmid
The plot was okay but not exciting. It needed more action and suspense--the biggest problem with this book si the characters. They seemed faceless and without empathy. The heroine was a war house and the hero had a panty waist, plus, they didn't seem to like each other. In fact, the heroine disliked the hero on contact (uh-oh!) Then they hop in bed which was not romantic, especially since the love scenes seemed so clinical. This was the perfect example of a set of characters that seemed better s...more
Dpic
Feb 06, 2014 Dpic added it
fluff
Carmelina
Had gone off romance books for a while but thoroughly enjoyed this one so much that I have already started the next in the series. All the characters were likeable especially enjoyed the first encounters between Corneiia and Harry. The three women, Cornelia, Livia and Aurelia are strong characters and I especially enjoyed the fact that they were the type to faint away when confronted by some of Aunt Sophia's intersting frescos etc. I delighted in the characters of Morecombe and the twins.
penelopewanders
Good read, but the whole thing is a bit at arm's length somehow. Perhaps because the main character is too - not revealing who he really is, neither to the heroine (and this is a theme) nor to the reader (which is more problematic). Nonetheless a good read, some laughs, a few steamy scenes (not wildly probable, actually, but whatever, she is a widow after all...)and enjoyable dialogue. Very entertaining without being the read of the century.
Mahareni Maldini
Aduh, heran deh sama ni author, suka banget bikin karakter janda. Setelah 3 janda di seri Widow, sekarang tambah 2 janda lagi d seri ini. Okelah kalo genrenya kontemporer. Tapi kalo HR sih, penginnya si heroine tu masih kiyis-kiyis and prewi. Lama-lama stop baca buku dari pengarang ini.

Maap, cuma bisa kasih 2 bintang coz buku ini gak mampu membangkitkan minatku untuk baca sampe habis. Belum separo buku aja udah nyerah.
Jasey
Luvmyfamily
I would give this story a 3.5 only because it was a little slow. It was sweet and romantic for most of the story and it flowed smoothly. However, there were moments where you were either bored and waiting for the next interesting moment or when you couldn't quite make sense of an event until after it played through. Not bad, interested in the next one.
Judith
I found A Wicked Gentleman to be a good read. I liked all of the characters, the plot had a slightly different spin (i.e., heroine did not despise her first husband), and was good enough to make me want to read the stories of Aurelia and Liv--the next two books in the trilogy. The title was misleading--Harry was not wicked; not even naughty.
Christine Parker
One of the better trashy romance novels (TNRs) I've read. The sex scenes could have focused a little more on the woman though, instead of what was being done to the man. But I like that the author actually used the word "penis." The female characters were smart and independent. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Nia
It was alright, I just wish that the author would stop using the term 'penis'. I mean yes, it's the traditional name for it but when one uses the term penis, I always feel like I am reading some clinical medical textbook and not a romance novel and thus I want to giggle. GIVE ME SOME THROBBING SHAFTS dammit.
Carol Storm
This was a pleasant enough read, but it's a case where the plot was too creaky and silly to hold my interest. A nice English lord is chasing a spy who hides something in a house full of attractive spinsters. The lord stops by to investigate and . . . well, you can guess where it goes from there.
Paxnirvana
Ugh. Not good.

The Hero was too stupid to be a spymaster and too lame in his wooing to be interesting as a romance hero. Heroine? Was there one? *blinks* She was eminently forgettable.

Not to mention... TOO MANY SUPPORTING CHARACTERS. Very cluttered and unfocused book.
Susan
He's not very wicked, and there are no surprises.
Amos
Found in SHB's pile when we installed the Readers Stand 8/5/2010
Volumn appears unread. Started 9/20/2010 pm
I have volumn 2 and plan to order #3.... finis c. 10:10 am 9/23/2010 second reading as good as first think I might enjoy this again.
Fun period romance with some history thrown in. Enjoyed the characters and their idiosyncrasies. The three female friends are a bit confusing initially (and all the nicknames them have), but whizzed through it otherwise.
Laurie
It was about 100 pages longer than it needed to be, but I still enjoyed it overall. It's a nice setup for the other 2 books in the trilogy.
  • What an Earl Wants
  • Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)
  • The Devil's Web (Web, #3)
  • Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)
  • Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • Almost a Princess
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke (Boscastle, #6)
  • How to Engage an Earl (Royle Sisters, #2
  • The Marriage Contract (Marriage, #3)
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • How to Disgrace a Lady
  • A Dangerous Love
Jane Feather was born in Cairo, Egypt, and grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She began her highly successful career after she and her family moved to Washington D.C. in 1981. She now has over ten million books in print.

Has also written under pseudonym of Claudia Bishop (books written in 1984)
More about Jane Feather...
Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2) The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2) The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3) Rushed to the Altar (Blackwater Brides #1) Almost a Bride (Almost, #2)