Start by marking “Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  607 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Presenting a twisted take on familiar fairy tales such as Red Riding Hood, Rumplestiltskin, and Hansel and Gretel: These fractured fairy tales are both humorous and unique, from their creative beginnings to their surprise endings.
Published June 1st 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Nicole
Jul 12, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
To go along with my recent interest in fairy tales, I decided to look at some fractured versions, because those are always the best. One day, while browsing my online library catalog, I came across this book. It sounded just up my alley, and it was. This was a fantastic read and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fractured fairy tales. I love how she takes these classic stories and retells them with a twist... often with the bad guys becoming good and the good guys becoming bad ...more
Faye  Bruun
Mar 17, 2016 Faye Bruun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. The cover caught my attention at the library.
In the end, though, I loved it.
I'm a huge sucker for retellings of classic tales, and this was one of the best. The author hasn't only retold the classic stories, in some cases she's offered quippy analyses of the classic tales in poem form. I also really appreciated that each story tied the old tale to the modern world, without modernizing the story.

One of my favorite examples: "Once upon a time, bef
Sarah Crawford
Feb 09, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Velde's greatest abilities is her talent in taking traditional fairy tales and giving them entirely new twists. This book is a perfect example of that.

She starts off with Rumpelstiltzkin and the concept of weaving straw into gold for a king that is never quite satisfied with how much was actually accomplished. Then there's the story about the frog prince. An abused frog prince, that is. Does changing back into a Prince automatically mean happiness for the girl responsible? Not always.

Then
S.N. Arly
A passable collection of short stories, but not up to this author's usual standard.

This is a collection of fractured fairy tales, a subgenre I'm quite fond of. Some of the stories are quite good; it starts and ends strongly. She's done some fun and interesting things with some of the most well known European fairy tales. I was delighted to see that she took the side of the wolf in her retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, as I myself have done.

While the book is marketed as for ages 8 to 12, I th
Olivia
Nov 18, 2010 Olivia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, really funny-
Took two points off because:
Isabelle was probably baked in an oven, and what happened to Siegfried?
The stories were a little bland
Apr 16, 2010 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book was okay. There wasn't really anything remarkable about this book.
Ann Nichols
Jul 14, 2013 Ann Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These versions of familiar fairy tales are quite enjoyable. Well, the Hansel and Gretel one was disturbing, but most of them have endings I prefer to those of the original, particularly 'Jack and the Beanstalk,' which is funny. These are the story titles:

'Straw Into Gold'***
'Evidence'****
'Beast and Beauty'****

The various
Inhabiting Books
My nine year old daughter found this in the Junior Fiction section of the library. She tossed it disgustedly on the return pile a few days later, saying "This book is dumb. I don't like the way the author redid the fairy tales." Since she's not a big fan of fairy tales anyway, I decided to read it to see if she was right, or if she just didn't appreciate it because of the genre.
The answer, I found, is a little of both. After reading this compilation of "twisted" fairy tales (and it's a quick rea
Seanean

Take a cup of fairy tales, add a tablespoon of irony, and a dash of snark and you get a whole new take on the stories of the Brothers Grimm. These aren't just fractured; they are completely smashed and then rearranged in some strange mosaic that sometimes only vaguely resembles the original tale.

Take, for example, this line from the Beast of the original "Beauty and the Beast":

Beast was looking at the man skeptically. "Your daughter's name is Beauty?" he a
Renee
Oct 26, 2015 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-1-12
Velde puts her own unique twist on classic fairytales. These fractured tales leave the reader laughing. The path Velde takes each character on is unpredictable and amusing. This is definitely a book worth reading because of the creative plot twists.

I didn’t love this book, especially compared to other fractured fairytales that I have read. But, I do appreciate the creative value behind the stories. I could see kids really loving the surprising twists.

Content warning: none.
Emily
Why I picked it up: I needed a book of short stories for my reading challenge and I found this one when looking for something else. I like fairy tale retellings so I thought I’d give it a try.

These reimaginings turn classic fairy tales on their heads, usually by changing one or more elements or by developing a character or background details. Stories that have been reworked include Beauty & the Beast, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and more. A few stories are also now in poem,
This collection of fractured fairy tales includes short stories as well as a few poems. Tales such as Rumplestiltskin, the Frog Prince, Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Billy Goats Gruff, the Princess and the Pea, Hansel and Gretel, and others are turned upside down and inside out. What happens if Rumplestiltskin was a handsome young elf who helps the miller’s daughter out of the goodness of his heart instead of a tiny little man with an ulterior motive? What if Hansel and Gretel we ...more
Elevetha
Sep 13, 2012 Elevetha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
Retellings of several well-known fairytales such as: Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Peas, Hansel and Gretal, Little Red Riding Hood, and more. The differences between the original and the retellings varied greatly; (view spoiler)
My favorites were "Straw into Gold", "Twins", "Frog", and "Mattresses." Though "The Granddaught
Jessalyn King
Jun 11, 2014 Jessalyn King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9-12
Hilarious! A wonderful take on the fairy tales. Especially loved the entertaining Jack and the Beanstalk as a drunken reverie. And Rumpelstiltskin (I always wondered why anyone would marry someone who first threatens to kill you).
verbava
Mar 11, 2014 verbava rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
нічого особливого, хоча казки про ганзеля з гретель (ця дуже вибивається із загального стилю – значно темніша й тривожніша, ніж решта збірки) і красуню й чудовисько таки добре вийшли.
Megan
Found this on the library shelf, and since it was by one of my favorite authors, I had to borrow it. I really enjoyed it, another awesome book by Vande Velde. I'm glad I read it.
Cecilia Rodriguez
A collection of thirteen short stories or poems that revise well-known fairy tales giving the majority a sly humorous twist.
Cecilia Rodriguez
A collection of thirteen short stories or poems that re-imagine classic fairytales, some of which retain their dark origins.
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great assortment of fractured fairy tales by Vivian Vande Velde. Hilarious.
Wendy Guion
Apr 23, 2015 Wendy Guion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun retelling of familiar fairy tales. Love the "twisted" endings.
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2016 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, teens
Enjoyable twist on traditional fairy tales.
Debby Baumgartner
Take offs on 13 fairy tales. Each has a twist to the end.
Samantha
Mar 28, 2014 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dont read
Enna Isilee
Aug 16, 2008 Enna Isilee rated it really liked it
I thought this was just so cute and simple. I read it one day. I fell in love with Rumplestilskin, Hansel and Gretel made me run away screaming, and some parts made me laugh out loud.

Granted, there were a few times when I thought to myself, "Wait. What?" but I got over it. It's not something you really have to understand to love.

More detailed review here: http://squeakybooks.blogspot.com/2008...
Heidi
Aug 02, 2008 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I expected more from this book. I found it accidentally while looking for another book. The "fractured" fairy tales aren't that fractured (end of billy goats gruff=big billy goat gets mad at younger brothers for not warning him). I really enjoyed the rendition of Little Red Riding Hood- Grandma and the Wolf are best buds. Not as creative as it could have been, it needed more twists and departures from the norm.
Tab Defarge
There was only one I really enjoyed: "PG-13" The two I enjoyed the end were, Princess and the Pea, and the Frog Prince. All the rest I really disliked. PG 13 had so many one lined explanations that really made me laugh. Princess and Prince (the latter two) had the princes suffering through the Princesses complaints and then kicked them out. Yeah! Go princes!
Kaethe
I'm a big fan to twisted fairy tales, and some of these are very twisted indeed, particularly Red Riding Hood. But my favorite will probably always be Rumplestilzkin, because the author managed to take a not-very-satisfying folktale and turn it into a believable story with appropriate emotional response.
Barbara
Oct 24, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
This is a great collection of retold fairytales with the signature wit and humor of Vivian Vande Velde. Each chapter in this book is a different fairytale retelling. The retelling of Rumplestilskin can also be found in her book, The Rumplestitskin Problem, but it is my favorite retelling from that book.
Riley
Dec 09, 2009 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Vivian Vande Velde and found that this was yet another genius work by her. The stories, though not entirely original, because they are classic fairytales, were told in such a way that they made the old stories seem new. Fans of this book should read The Rumplestiltskin Problem by Vivian Vande Velde.
atla
This collection started with a bang: a fun, imaginative retelling of the Rumpelstiltskin story. Directly following, however, it began to meander until it eventually plopped down with the laziest ending to a Beauty and the Beast retelling possible.

Worth picking up; not worth finishing.
  • Straw Into Gold
  • Sleeping Beauty's Daughters
  • The Dark of the Woods
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • The Troll Bridge
  • Thumbelina: Tiny Runaway Bride
  • The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known as De Fawg Pin
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • Thornspell
  • Once Upon a Toad
  • The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures, #3)
  • After the Ball (Beau Rivage, #1.5)
  • My Very UnFairy Tale Life (My Very UnFairy Tale Life, #1)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Happily Ever After
  • Little Red Riding Hood in the Big Bad City
  • The Bearskinner: A Tale of the Brothers Grimm
  • Mira, Mirror
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...