Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Presenting a twisted take on familiar fairy tales such as Red Riding Hood, Rumplestiltskin, and Hansel and Gretel: These fractured fairy tales are both humorous and unique, from their creative beginnings to their surprise endings.
Published June 1st 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird

Nicole
To go along with my recent interest in fairy tales, I decided to look at some fractured versions, because those are always the best. One day, while browsing my online library catalog, I came across this book. It sounded just up my alley, and it was. This was a fantastic read and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fractured fairy tales. I love how she takes these classic stories and retells them with a twist... often with the bad guys becoming good and the good guys becoming bad...more
S.N. Arly
A passable collection of short stories, but not up to this author's usual standard.

This is a collection of fractured fairy tales, a subgenre I'm quite fond of. Some of the stories are quite good; it starts and ends strongly. She's done some fun and interesting things with some of the most well known European fairy tales. I was delighted to see that she took the side of the wolf in her retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, as I myself have done.

While the book is marketed as for ages 8 to 12, I th...more
Libby
Great book, really funny-
Took two points off because:
Isabelle was probably baked in an oven, and what happened to Siegfried?
The stories were a little bland
Snorkle
This book was okay. There wasn't really anything remarkable about this book.
Ann Nichols
These versions of familiar fairy tales are quite enjoyable. Well, the Hansel and Gretel one was disturbing, but most of them have endings I prefer to those of the original, particularly 'Jack and the Beanstalk,' which is funny. These are the story titles:

'Straw Into Gold'***
'Evidence'****
'Beast and Beauty'****

The various...more
Megan D. Neal
My nine year old daughter found this in the Junior Fiction section of the library. She tossed it disgustedly on the return pile a few days later, saying "This book is dumb. I don't like the way the author redid the fairy tales." Since she's not a big fan of fairy tales anyway, I decided to read it to see if she was right, or if she just didn't appreciate it because of the genre.
The answer, I found, is a little of both. After reading this compilation of "twisted" fairy tales (and it's a quick rea...more
Seanean

Take a cup of fairy tales, add a tablespoon of irony, and a dash of snark and you get a whole new take on the stories of the Brothers Grimm. These aren't just fractured; they are completely smashed and then rearranged in some strange mosaic that sometimes only vaguely resembles the original tale.

Take, for example, this line from the Beast of the original "Beauty and the Beast":

Beast was looking at the man skeptically. "Your daughter's name is Beauty?" he a...more
Emily
Why I picked it up: I needed a book of short stories for my reading challenge and I found this one when looking for something else. I like fairy tale retellings so I thought I’d give it a try.

These reimaginings turn classic fairy tales on their heads, usually by changing one or more elements or by developing a character or background details. Stories that have been reworked include Beauty & the Beast, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and more. A few stories are also now in poem,...more
This collection of fractured fairy tales includes short stories as well as a few poems. Tales such as Rumplestiltskin, the Frog Prince, Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Billy Goats Gruff, the Princess and the Pea, Hansel and Gretel, and others are turned upside down and inside out. What happens if Rumplestiltskin was a handsome young elf who helps the miller’s daughter out of the goodness of his heart instead of a tiny little man with an ulterior motive? What if Hansel and Gretel we...more
Elevetha
Sep 13, 2012 Elevetha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
Retellings of several well-known fairytales such as: Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Peas, Hansel and Gretal, Little Red Riding Hood, and more. The differences between the original and the retellings varied greatly; (view spoiler)
My favorites were "Straw into Gold", "Twins", "Frog", and "Mattresses." Though "The Granddaught...more
Jessalyn King
Hilarious! A wonderful take on the fairy tales. Especially loved the entertaining Jack and the Beanstalk as a drunken reverie. And Rumpelstiltskin (I always wondered why anyone would marry someone who first threatens to kill you).
verbava
нічого особливого, хоча казки про ганзеля з гретель (ця дуже вибивається із загального стилю – значно темніша й тривожніша, ніж решта збірки) і красуню й чудовисько таки добре вийшли.
Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books)
I thought this was just so cute and simple. I read it one day. I fell in love with Rumplestilskin, Hansel and Gretel made me run away screaming, and some parts made me laugh out loud.

Granted, there were a few times when I thought to myself, "Wait. What?" but I got over it. It's not something you really have to understand to love.

More detailed review here: http://squeakybooks.blogspot.com/2008...
Heidi
I expected more from this book. I found it accidentally while looking for another book. The "fractured" fairy tales aren't that fractured (end of billy goats gruff=big billy goat gets mad at younger brothers for not warning him). I really enjoyed the rendition of Little Red Riding Hood- Grandma and the Wolf are best buds. Not as creative as it could have been, it needed more twists and departures from the norm.
Tab Defarge
There was only one I really enjoyed: "PG-13" The two I enjoyed the end were, Princess and the Pea, and the Frog Prince. All the rest I really disliked. PG 13 had so many one lined explanations that really made me laugh. Princess and Prince (the latter two) had the princes suffering through the Princesses complaints and then kicked them out. Yeah! Go princes!
Cheryl in CC NV
Sorry to say, these altered fairy tales weren't up to Vande Velde's usual standards. They were a little hostile, a little bleak. The first one is the best, but it's lifted straight from "The Rumpelstiltskin Problem" which is kinda ok because it's also hers, but I am glad I got this from the library instead of from a store!
Kaethe
I'm a big fan to twisted fairy tales, and some of these are very twisted indeed, particularly Red Riding Hood. But my favorite will probably always be Rumplestilzkin, because the author managed to take a not-very-satisfying folktale and turn it into a believable story with appropriate emotional response.
Barbara
This is a great collection of retold fairytales with the signature wit and humor of Vivian Vande Velde. Each chapter in this book is a different fairytale retelling. The retelling of Rumplestilskin can also be found in her book, The Rumplestitskin Problem, but it is my favorite retelling from that book.
Riley
I love Vivian Vande Velde and found that this was yet another genius work by her. The stories, though not entirely original, because they are classic fairytales, were told in such a way that they made the old stories seem new. Fans of this book should read The Rumplestiltskin Problem by Vivian Vande Velde.
atla
This collection started with a bang: a fun, imaginative retelling of the Rumpelstiltskin story. Directly following, however, it began to meander until it eventually plopped down with the laziest ending to a Beauty and the Beast retelling possible.

Worth picking up; not worth finishing.
Susan
This is a book of fairy tales for adults, or at least young adults. Typical fairy tales like "Beauty and the Beast," "Hansel and Gretel," and others, are retold in very different ways, and each one is truly funny.
Miss Clark
Fun collection of fairytale retellings, most with a simple spin on the ending, others more a revisioning. My favorites were: Straw into Gold, Frog, The Grandaughter, Twins, Evidence, B & S, and Mattresses.
Rebekah
I had very high hopes for this book. I love fairy tales and retellings of fairy tales but this one was far too predicable. The promised "fractures" have been done so many times before.
Diane
This book was ok. I like her books for older readers better. Each chapter in this book was a different story, and some stories were better than others.
Carmine
Jan 02, 2008 Carmine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle graders
fractured fairy-tales for fantasy lovers
Jenette
Read this to my kids. Very cute and cleverly put together! Love the tales remade. Very funny and have some really good points and life lessons.
Angela
Fun book for students to read and compare fairy tales.
Twists of the originals - Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltzkin, Frog Prince, etc.
I think VVV makes some interesting points that aren't explored as much...like the glass slippers still remaining. Hilarious.
Nancy
That was cute.
I had read the Rumpelstiltskin
story in another omnibus,
but that doesn't make it any less
of a good story.
  • Straw Into Gold
  • Thumbelina: Tiny Runaway Bride
  • Pay the Piper
  • A Wolf at the Door: And Other Retold Fairy Tales
  • A True Princess
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • Of Giants and Ice
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • A Question of Magic
  • Thornspell
  • Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • Diary of a Fairy Godmother
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for...more
More about Vivian Vande Velde...
Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2) Dragon's Bait Companions of the Night The Rumpelstiltskin Problem Cloaked in Red