Start by marking “The Winter Hare” as Want to Read:
The Winter Hare

The Winter Hare

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Young Will Belet is sent from his noble family to serve as a page in the household of the earl of Oxford, where he must confront treachery within the castle as well as danger outside its walls.
Published October 28th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Hare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Hare

Evy Bernier
I ordered this book while taking a children's literature class for my masters degree. I greatly enjoyed the story. As a medievalist I am always on the look out for good and historically accurate books to suggest to my sons and students. This is one I could not put down and I will thus be highly recommending to all.
Rebecca Radnor
1141 AD +Battle of Lincoln; Exciting story of a young page, stunted by the pox, dealing w/ political/castle intrigues during The Anarchy. This is the period when sons were sent to another man's holding to be trained to be men. This is why both the main character and his brother are at their uncle's home. It becomes clear that the uncle is trying to ensure things like 'hunting accidents' and 'death in battle' so that their father's holdings will pass to him, and hence he can gift them to his youn ...more
Penny
This is an excellent book aimed at children about the Anarchy - or the period of time when King Stephen fought his cousin Matilda for the throne of England.

This book follows the story of a young boy learning to be a knight who gets caught up in the mayhem of the time which was descibed by the Saxon chronicle as the time 'when Christ and his Saints slept'. The young lad has to fight against intrigue in the household he is sent to as well as civil war. The descriptions are great without being too
Neysa Citra
I remember the last time i read this book was when i was in junior high, years ago! And still the story is too good to remember even it was published by the year i was born! I dont think this is such a fairytale story, this is just as great as a #Legend.
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Sonya Ard-kelly
Sonya Ard-kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
Oct 24, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Lulu
Lulu added it
Jun 03, 2013
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Jenn M
Jenn M added it
May 13, 2013
Night
Night added it
Mar 17, 2013
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012