To the Brink (Bodyguard, #3)

To the Brink (The Bodyguards #3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,869 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Working on highly sensitive diplomatic affairs, Darcy Prescott is a natural target for terrorist kidnappers. But when she’s mysteriously plucked off a street in Manila one sultry night, Darcy’s disappearance isn’t what it seems…

The moment Special Forces soldier Ethan Garrett laid eyes on Darcy, he knew she was the woman he would marry—and he did. But when their marriage fe...more
Published May 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about To the Brink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Brink

Blacky *Romance Addict*
*re-read 19.07.2013.*

Cindy Gerard =>

The Bodyguard Series =>

This book =>
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I am completely obsessed. I probably need some medical treatment Photobucket but hey, don't tell anyone, at least not until I finish this series. No, until I finish the Black Ops series, because that's what I'll be reading next Photobucket

The story

Right after she phones her ex-husband and tells him she's in bad trouble, Darcy finds herself followed and kidnapped.
Ethan (the ex) wastes no time and together with his brothers and a friend, t...more
Buggy
Opening line: "Ethan. Um. Hi. It's...Darcy."

Wow this was fantastic, probably up there as one of my top 5 romantic suspense’s ever. I was completely wrapped up in this story and had trouble putting it down for anything. It actually reads more like an action movie then romantic suspense, the thrills are just non-stop, with a retired Special Forces soldier trying to extract his ex-wife from terrorist kidnappers.

The jungle rescue (which takes up most of the book) goes from bad, to worse, to FUBAR a...more
Shawna
5+ stars – Romantic Suspense

If I ever get in too deep with some corrupt, unofficial foreign embassy matters and wind up getting kidnapped and held captive by terrorists in the jungles of the Philippines, I hope like hell that I have a former Special Forces soldier ex-husband, who’s still head over heels in love with me even after five years apart, like Ethan Garrett to come rescue my ass!

Whew, what an intense, edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting romantic suspense thriller! Ethan Garrett is an absolut...more
Dee
OMG WOW

If there was a 6 star rating then I would definately give it to this book.

I was gripped from the beginning right to the end and kept me up until the wee hours of the morning. Despite being tired and requiring matchsticks for my eyelids I just couldn't put this book down.

Ms Gerard doesn't write long hot steamy sex scenes in this series and if I am honest I will say that I do like a bit of steam in my romances but I didn't really miss it in this book.

I fell for Ethan pretty quickly into the...more
Jane Stewart
4 stars for the action scenes: kidnap, rescue, fight, and flight. 2 stars for romance, relationship, and her stupidity.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I don’t know how to recommend this. I really liked part, but I really disliked part.

WHAT I LIKED:
The action part of the story. Well done, some neat ideas. I felt like I was there. More than half the book was this action and suspense. I also enjoyed the secondary story about Amy and Garrett. They meet in this book, and their story is told in the sequel: “Into T...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
Holy hell!!!

Seriously???? I'm kinda drunk right now - so all my emotions are heightened, but Cindy Gerard is the SHIT!!! She literally is the SHIT!! Well not literally, obviously, but this lady seriously has me by the short and curlies.

The first book I read by Cindy Gerard was the first book in this series and I loved it - rated it 4.5 stars. The second book I rated 5 stars and stated that Cindy had elbowed her way into my top 10 favourite authors. Third book???? Christ! I LOVE THIS LADY!! If I...more
Glamdring

So far this is definitely my favorite in the series.

Even though the plot was pretty obvious, the story was cleverly told.

As for books 1 and 2 of the series, the main characters were awesome and I really liked how Cindy Gerard used the flashbacks.

I loved both the primary and secondary story. I can’t wait to read Dallas book!
Isis FG
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Of the 3 books I've read in this series so far, this one is by far my favorite. The story and the romance really sucked me in and had me wanting to keep coming back and reading.

Series Note:
This series is best read in order.

Summary:
Darcy Prescott and Ethan Garret have been divorced for about five years - after a blazing love affair turns into a tumultuous marriage - when Darcy, an employee in the Philippines US Embassy, finds herself in danger. Her first instinct is to call Ethan,...more
Quinn
After reading the first two books in Cindy Gerard's Bodyguard series, I was really looking forward to reading Ethan's story. Then I discovered that it wasn't stocked at any of the libraries in my consortium. Oh no! That meant I would have to buy it. That would be OK, but then of course it would mean that I would have to buy every book in the series because I can't possibly have a book on my shelves that's part of a series, without having the rest. You see my dilemma.

Luckily, I beseeched my local...more
Eastofoz
Would've liked to have had a little more "action" between the h/h but it was a good story and the author did a nice job with jumping from past to present without irritating the reader. Because the characters were married before there wasn't much tension building but more falling back into the familiar which is fine but I prefer the tension. Sometimes the language gets strangely formal or a bit too crass so it didn't always match up but for the most part it was worth the read. The next character'...more
SheLove2Read
Aug 11, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves SpecOps stories
Re-read.

For me Cindy Gerard is golden. I have yet to read a bad book by her. To the Brink, book 3 in her Bodyguards series is (to me) by far in the top 3 novels she has written.

This is the story of Darcy and Ethan. Once upon a time married and passionately in love. They met in Peru when Darcy was on assignment with the American Embassy and Ethan was in Peru for the US Army Rangers. After a wild, incredibly romantic, make you sigh and want to cry, whirlwind romance, they married. Ethan's job kept...more
Holly
I loved this book! The thrills in this fun, action packed story was extremely fast paced and so exciting! I couldn't put it down and I was completely engrossed in the current story between Ethan and Darcy and Dallas and Amy. I was even interested in the poor kid who was swept up into the life of terrorism. I can't remember his name but he helps to save the day and I wish him well in his fictional future. Also surprising, I was equally interested in Ethan and Darcy's flashbacks. Normally I am the...more
Alex is The Romance Fox

To the Brink is the 3rd book in Cindy Gerard’s Bodyguard series. Ethan Garrett is one of the owners of E.D.E.N., the family security company and has never got over losing Darcy.
Darcy has worked in various US embassies around the world and following her heartbreaking divorce from Ethan, is now working in the Philippines and finds herself in a very dangerous situation.

She calls the only person she can trust – her ex-husband Ethan. She leaves a message for him begging for his help and before he can...more
3rd book down in this series and I'm finally getting a feeling for this author and it's just "ok". While the action/storylines are great, the sex and connection between the H/H is just so-so. I'm constantly comparing her to Pamela Clare (the I-team series) who KNOWS how to write action AND sex.

Ms. Gerard just isn't doin it for me. lol I've got the entire series and will read them but will NOT be keeping this series in my library. Do not like them enough to keep them. Feeling sad.......had high h...more
Jennifer★Pher★
This was a great installment to this series. I thought for sure I wasn’t going to enjoy this one. I am not a big fan of long separations, in this case, an actual divorce of 5 years. Add to that the going back in time and I just was sure it was going to just be a 3★ read for me. I was wrong. This was one of my favorites of this series so far. The story was pretty intense and I really liked it, a lot. The way it was written was done very well. I still hated the 5 year separation but I loved where...more
LaFleurBleue
I did not like so much the constant back and forth between Ethan and Darcy's previous history and the present time at first. And then it started to really make sense, not so early in the story but when reading while their previous marriage had disintegrated so quickly. And then this book was almost impossible to put back on the table.
It's a romantic suspense, with a rather good suspense, but the love story is really really good.
I so want to read Dallas and Amy's story (and was so disappointed a...more
Sonia
Trepidante aventura de rescate en la selva intercalado con la historia de como se conocieron los protagonistas, se enamoraron y se separaron. Muy buen ritmo. Inicio del romance muy precipitado pero buena resolución.
Joy
“Want some candy, little girl?”

I will always think of this book when I see a pack of Lifesavers—
well written story with great characters—lots of suspense and action—am totally becoming a Cindy Gerard fangirl
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Ethan Garrett has to dust off his Special Ops skills and call on his family & friend to get his ex-wife, Darcy Prescott, out of the bind she finds herself in. One of Darcy's co-workers finds herself in possession of some sensitive bad-guy material and shortly after becomes a victim of a random hit and run but not before she's passed that material onto Darcy. When Darcy learns about her co-workers death, she looks to see what she's received and knows she's got troubles. The first person Darcy...more
Willow
This one if my favorite of the bodyguards series and rings more like her Black Ops books, which is why I probably love it. That and Ethan. This one had a romance that was different than most. These aren't two people who just met. Oh, no. This one is between Ethan and Darcy, the ex-wife he'd never talk about in the last books. She calls him for help when she gets herself in a nasty pickle, which is actually her getting abducted by a crazy extremist group in the jungle. And who better to save her...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
I am not reading these books in the correct order, and that is because I didn't really like the first one, and I thought I would like this one more from the book's blurb.
Thankfully, I did. But I didn't read it from front to back; I went through and read all the 7 years earlier parts, and then went back to the beginning and read the story completely, skimming through the back story that I had already read. Weird, I know, but this worked for me more than reading a story that jumps back and forward...more
Kristen
To the Brink is the third book in the Bodyguard series, this red hot romantic suspense takes us to the jungles of the Philippines and back to the USA. Darcy Prescott works at the Vice Consul for South America, when she calls her ex-husband Ethan for help, as she encountered trouble. It's up to Ethan to rescue her with his team, as Darcy fights for survival by terrorists, and befriends another hostage, Amy. When she waits for Ethan's rescue, she remembers when she met and married Ethan, and what...more
Kayla
For the most part I enjoyed this book. However I wasn't expecting to be flip back and forth through time. I didn't feel a strong connection to either of the main characters, hence the four stars.

Ethan Garrett, the oldest of the Garrett children. If You Deceive by Kresley Cole, Ethan MacCarrick, ring any bells. I thought both Ethans had similar personalities. But MacCarrick was the more likeable of the two.

Darcy Prescott was an okay character, nothing special really. I am looking forward to read...more
Gina
Another great story! I read this book in one day! I just couldn't put it down. This book for me had two parts, the first part was rescuing Darcy from the jungles of the Philippines and the second was bringing those responsible to justice, and of course fighting their feelings for one another and the unresolved issues from their failed marriage. I really liked Ethan and Darcy's story, I liked that it wasn't about getting together, but about unresolved issues and a lack of honest open discussion t...more
Robin
After being given some highly sensitive information that has already left one person dead, Darcy Prescott fears she will be next. After a quick call to the only man she can trust, ex-husband Ethan Garrett, Darcy is plucked off the streets and marched into the jungle by a group of terrorists. When Ethan receives Darcy's message and can't contact her, he pulls together a rescue team and starts searching. Their search leads them to the jungles of the Philippines and a race against time.

This is the...more
Raine
I loved it. Though I don't know how to write a proper review with this as it hits too close to my home country...literally. Born and raised in the Philippines, I couldn't deny or turned blind eye to what is brutally happening down south of our country. It was well written and thoroughly researched and although it is a work of fiction I am deeply touched and so connected with the characters all throughout. And might I just add that Ethan is swoon worthy from the first time he made an apperance.
Erika  Badass
I really enjoyed this story. It seemed entirely possible. Second Chance love. Ethan and Darcy met, fell in lust and love, got married. Problem was Ethan was gone for months at a time, being a Special Forces man, and Darcy working for the UN type people. Eventually things went south when Ethan couldn't cope with being 'normal'. It's been 5 years since their divorce. Darcy calls him in desperate hope that he can save her. It was a fast paced joureny.
Anita Truong
This book was filled with so much intensity that I got hooked to it so quickly. The entire first half of the story (the Garrett brothers and friend, Manny Ortega infiltrating a foreign country to save Ethan's ex-wife, Darcy) held so much edge-of-seat excitement. I'm not gonna lie -- I had a lot of fun reading the the first half with the rescue mission, even if it seemed fairly unrealistic (but, hey, since I enjoyed it, I'm not complaining and that's all that matters).

The snippets of flashbacks d...more
Keri
This was a good romantic suspense book. The wording was tight and Darcy never crossed over the TSTL line...she just got close to it. :-) Ethan was funny with his candy offers, heck by the time this book was over, I was jonesing for cherry lifesavers. I can't to read the rest in the series. Going to go back and pick up the first two before I read Dallas and Amy's story.
Sammy
3.5 stars. I liked it, but I prefer a little more romance in my romantic suspence. One thing that bugged me was Ethan came off as controlling and pushy. Don't get me wrong I'm all for an alpha male, but possessive, not controlling. JMO.
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Thrill Me to Death (Bullet Catcher, #2)
  • Run to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #3)
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Hold on Tight (Hold Trilogy, #3)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
195778
The only thing Cindy had in mind when she started writing her first book was finishing it. The issue of actually selling it came much later. Only after she made that life-altering first sale did she realize that one book would never be enough. Now, over 20 books and numerous awards later, Cindy laughingly admits that she can barely remember life before...well, was there life before writing?

Actuall...more
More about Cindy Gerard...
Show No Mercy (Black Ops, #1) To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1) Whisper No Lies (Black Ops, #3) Take No Prisoners (Black Ops, #2) Feel the Heat (Black Ops, #4)

“When he reached her, he touched a hand to her face. Smiled. "Important. That's one word. Everything. That's another. Loved," he said, adding the most important word of all. "God, Darcy, you are so loved.” 40 likes
“He hugged her hard. "I love you. My life is so much better with you in it than out of it.” 22 likes