Start by marking “Las lágrimas de Eros” as Want to Read:
Las lágrimas de Eros

Las lágrimas de Eros

Ciertos libros engendran anécdotas curiosas dignas de ser conocidas, y Las lágrimas de Eros, de Georges Bataille, es uno de ellos. Viene además muy a cuento precisamente cuando en Francia acaban de rendir el definitivo homenaje a André Malraux trasladando sus cenizas a La Madeleine, donde yacen las insignes figuras de la cultura y la política francesas. Aunque hoy parezca ...more
Paperback, 1ª edición en la colección "Ensayo" (n.33), 272 pages
Published April 1st 1997 by Tusquets Editores (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Las lágrimas de Eros, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Las lágrimas de Eros

Eddie Watkins
Jul 18, 2010 Eddie Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The doors of my mind have only recently opened to (and been opened by) Bataille, so what I say about The Tears of Eros will necessarily be that of a novice. There’s a thrill, tinged with anxiety, of being an intellectual novice at the age of 45.

We have hanging in our house a woodblock print done by a friend of ours of a gaunt and cigarette smoking Joan Didion. Worked into this portrait is a quote of hers - I know what nothing means and keep on playing. I have not read a single book of Didion’s,
hanne
Aug 13, 2007 hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely bought this book because the cover matches my favourite blue nail-polish exactly. really, I didn't understand a word he was saying but I looked impossibly chic while reading it.
Matthieu
Dec 12, 2008 Matthieu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally given three stars back in '08 (read in September of 2007), but after a second reading, I've decided to add an additional half-star (rounding up to four). Bataille's a strange cat. Despite some fascinating information here (e.g., the painting(s) in the Lascaux pit), the lack of substance behind Bataille's theories/assertions often reduces the text to a series of disjointed declarations.
Tosh
Nov 04, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Georges Bataille's great (illustrated) book on the connection between eroticism and death. The two doorways one can't avoid, yet we are drawn to its power. One of the great poetic essayists, Bataille is sort of like the moment one wakes up from a feverish dream. You have a memory of that dream, but then you are not fully awake.
Megan
Apr 15, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In love with the mysterious cave painting Battaille describes as the birth of art- a pivotal moment when early humans first link eroticism and death. Oddly appropriate to the work I am doing now.....hmmm. Highly recommend it. The visual aids add wonderful charm to the dry (or maybe just french?) text.
Leonardo Rodríguez
Dec 11, 2008 Leonardo Rodríguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ensayo
Fulgurante y glacial. Lástima que la única ilustración de esta edición algo incómoda, sea la por lo demás fascinante "Mujer" de Hans Bellmer en la portada. No es libro sólo para leer sino para ver.
Cláudio
Jun 02, 2016 Cláudio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Num primeiro passo, o sentido deste livro é abrir a consciência à identidade que existe entre a «pequena morte» e uma morte definitiva. Desde a volúpia, o delírio, até ao horror sem limites."
Nicolas Baygert
Portrait ciselé de l’érotisme dans l’histoire ; du paléolithique inférieur aux artificialités de Dali. Bataille propose ici d’illustrer un lien fondamental : « celui de l’extase religieuse et de l’érotisme – en particulier du sadisme » (P. 121). A l’origine, Bataille voit l’érotisme comme jeu volontaire destiné à sublimer la mort – l’usage des plaisirs délogeant le désir de sa trivialité animale, seconde étape après le culte des morts. Les bonnes questions sont ici posées, sans développement pou ...more
Emil
Jun 30, 2014 Emil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
J’ouvre le ciel comme on ouvre la gorge
Des mourants
Je suis calme comme un taureau
Qui meugle sous la pluie
Je ne suis pas un homme
Je meugle
Je suis plus idiot que la foudre
Qui éclate de rire
Je veux faire un vacarme
Si grand
Qu’on ne s’entendra plus.
Ma folie et ma peur
Ont de grands yeux morts
La fixité de la fièvre.
Ce qui regarde dans ces yeux
Est le néant de l’univers
Mes yeux sont d’aveugles ciels
Dans mon impénétrable nuit
Est l’impossible criant
Tout s’effondre.
Bande-moi les yeux
J’aime la nuit
Mon coeur
Mr_wormwood
My first excursion into the world of Bataille. As such, my first impression is that this is a writer who is trying to write a truly Nietzschean form of history. And I celebrate that. Although this particular attempt is, when read in pure isolation, something of a failure, i have a feeling the failure is somewhat mine, as it's obviously intimately connected with a previous work called 'Eroticism' which i haven't read. Still, as a impetus to explore and discover more by Batille, this text is an un ...more
Rodrigo Esquer
Apr 16, 2016 Rodrigo Esquer rated it really liked it
An unorthodox study of erotism and its relationship to death and the chthonic throughout history with ample of examples in art, from the cave paintings to photography.
The best part to me it's the conclusion, where Bataille points out the ecstasy in voudon ritual animal sacrifices and the agony of a tortured man in China, he sees in those two examples the inescapable link between Eros and Thanathos
Sylphær
Nov 21, 2012 Sylphær rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up due to a search for a better understanding of sexual attitudes and life. I grew up with views from religions and schools about abstinence from sex while coping with my own libido instincts. This book liberates me as a human to understand why humans have sexual impulses; why death is not as scary even without any religion; and finally why I find myself comfortable in expressing my sexual thoughts while living amongst Asians who are mostly conservatives.
Michael
I am not really all that interested in most of Bataille's philosophy, and this book is not particularly different. Violating taboos and the exploration of the relation between love and death becomes more and more romantic and less and less philosophically compelling as you continue to read his works.
Valerie
On dirait que ce livre passe toujours à côté de ce qu'il a à dire et que Bataille a dit ailleurs, il me semble un peu fatigué et moins brutal et nécessaire que certaines de ses lettres, j'ai été un peu déçu. Mais c'était son dernier livre et il n'était probablement pas suffisamment en forme pour en tirer la substantifique moelle.
Izabela Dziugieł
Jan 27, 2015 Izabela Dziugieł rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chce się więcej! Chociaż TYLE pracuje w wyobraźni, gdzie zamieszczone w książce reprodukcje i zdjęcia nabierają własnego życia, opowiadają inną historię, wymuszają wręcz indywidualne starcie z własnym Erosem i własną wizją czy znaczeniem śmierci.
Jest siła!
Scherzo
Sep 15, 2013 Scherzo rated it liked it
Debemos evaluar lo que perdemos a causa de la conciencia, pero también debemos, desde el principio, advertir que, conforme a esta humanidad en la que estamos encerrados, la lucidez de la conciencia significa el enfriamiento de la pasión.
Brian
Nov 02, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bataille
--A collection of dirty and violent pictures that touches on eroticism and death: I read it and laugh. Only in the face of horror does the fragmentary totality of being become uncovered--
Becky Finley
Jun 03, 2007 Becky Finley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artisit or necromancers
This is an eating your peas and carrots art theory book with a creepy edge.
Ash
Jul 12, 2010 Ash rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting artwork, but it was translated awkwardly, the writing style differs from "The Story of the Eye."
K.
Nov 06, 2009 K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oyster grey
Philip Bardach
I like books with pictures. However, I probably should've read Erotism first.
Cesar Armenta
Oct 23, 2013 Cesar Armenta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente! Hace una revisión de la historia del erotismo vinculado a la conciencia del hombre sobre la muerte. Es la base del pensamiento de Baudrillard que podemos ver en De la Seducción.
Maddy
I wonder if the makers of Martyrs had this in mind.
Darren
Jun 03, 2008 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2007
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2008
Filip
Filip rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
  • Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials
  • Manifestoes of Surrealism
  • Tarrying with the Negative: Kant, Hegel, and the Critique of Ideology
  • Conversations on Science, Culture, and Time: Michel Serres with Bruno Latour
  • Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers) (Paperback)
20842
French essayist, philosophical theorist and novelist, often called the "metaphysician of evil." Bataille was interested in sex, death, degradation, and the power and potential of the obscene. He rejected traditional literature and considered that the ultimate aim of all intellectual, artistic, or religious activity should be the annihilation of the rational individual in a violent, transcendental ...more
More about Georges Bataille...

“In the violence of overcoming, in the disorder of my laughter and my sobbing, in the excess of raptures that shatter me, I seize on the similarity between a horror and a voluptuousness that goes beyond me, between an ultimate pain and an unbearable joy!” 2 likes