Start by marking “The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)” as Want to Read:
The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)

The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)

Alternate cover edition here..

It's history with the nasty bits left in!

WANT TO KNOW:

☠ If you would make a good bodysnatcher?
☠ What the Georgians did with squashed fish eye?
☠ Who wore false eyebrows made from mouse skin?

Discover all the foul facts about the GORGEOUS GEORGIANS - all the gore and more!
Published December 3rd 2007 by Scholastic (first published February 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Gorgeous Georgians, please sign up.

Soobie's heartbroken
It's been ages since my last Horrible Histories book...

I have no problem to admit that I bought this one only because it cost 3€ something.

This is also the first Horrible Histories I've read in English. Did I have any problems with that? Yeah... I guess I missed a couple of puns and jokes but no biggies. I used to love these books. I've read almost all the ones that were translated into Italian when I was a kid.

I think that this wasn't translated because it deals with a precise period of the
Guguk
Nov 17, 2016 Guguk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bakpao-keju
Pas mulai baca, baru nyadar kalo era Georgians itu maksudnya masa-masa rajanya bernama George 。゚( ゚^∀^゚)゚。//akukoktelmi

Mulai dari gaya make-up para bangsawan cewek (^..^) yang super heboh, sampai kemajuan 'teknologi' sepanjang era ini~ Menarik! (≧◡≦)

Oiya...tadinya aku (pas buka-cepat-liat-liat-doang) ngerasa terganggu dengan gambar tikus besar yang bertebaran di edisi baru ini, "Ih, ini gambar gede-gede, mana ga penting gini~"
Tapi lama-lama menghibur juga XD
Bronwyn
Sep 24, 2015 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Anirudh Parthasarathy
Well, I picked up this book solely because I wanted to know something about an interesting race from the Caucasus Ranges but then, little did I expect that this book was going to be about Britain during the era of Hanover monarchs (before William IV and Victoria). However, with that said, I wasn’t disappointed with this book.

The uniqueness about horrible histories always is that, the author runs the reader through the selected era in a way in which that the reader is never bored, does not have t
Nur Ain Z.
3.5. Goodreads seriously should consider adding .5 to its rating scale.

Gorgeous Georgians discusses the reign of King George I - IV and what had happened in those era. My personal favourites from this book would be the horrible facts about their food and Georgian words. It's still English, though some words had different meanings back then. Like respectable used to mean polite, a wooden suit is what they would call a coffin back then. Odsbodikins was a swear word but is now long forgotten. Now,
Kathleen
It's no secret; I love the Horrible Histories. The Gorgeous Georgians is a reread; a comic book of history which covers the Georgian era of English history, between the Stuarts and the Victorians. Terry Deary writes a captivating, funny, intelligent, approrpriately gruesome, and as far as I can tell absolutely accurate little book on the more terrible aspects of the Georgian age. He also throws in some not-so-horrible tidbits.

This would be a five-star, but for two things. One, the Horrible Histo
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I didn't really know what to expect from this book. My son and I have been watching the tv shows (and we love them). I know the books are wildly popular with primary school aged children. Which is fantastic. I remember history being taught at school as so awful, so boring. Of course this isn't history as it was taught at school. Focusing on the gruesome, gross, funny and quaint- which is very sensible when you're trying to appeal to kids. I did learn lots of fascinating facts, but somehow it was ...more
Nadhirah
Jan 11, 2017 Nadhirah rated it really liked it
I pick up some of the books from this series from time to time and they're always so much fun to read. Being a huge fan of Jane Austen, I was excited to pick this one up in particular. Interesting to read the obscure facts and trivia that you don't always come across in works of fiction from that era. Kinda killed the romanticism a little bit though, imagining Mr. Darcy in a silk coat with lace trimmings.
Marjolein
READ IN ENGLISH

I've always been a great fan of the BBC historical sketch show Horrible Histories. So, when I found these books in a London book-store, I was really excited and my sister and I bought about 8 books *oops*.

I don't want to read them all in a row, because then I will run out far too soon. So, this is my fourth HH book since August.

I really liked it, and on the way even learned some things about those Gorgeous Georgians.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Refreshingly not politically correct. Loved the comic strips which rendered perfectly well on my Kindle. I was most interested in the Scottish history (e.g. Jacobite Rebellion) and the personal hygiene and fashion of the period. Had I still been a child I'm sure I'd have given this 5 stars. The only one I read and enjoyed back then was The Vile Victorians.
Alicia Donner
Though not as wonderful as I remember the first ones I read (especially the Awesome Egyptians and the Groovy Greeks, the latter of which gave me instructions for making a toga that I used for two Halloweens as Athena and zero college parties) still a fun way to learn history. I look forward to reading through the rest of 'em!
Carmen
May 18, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Parts of this book made me laught out loud. Talk about making history alive. There are a few pages about pirates. The reality, not Hollywood. It's interactive as there are facts and the reader has to decide if it is true or false. walking the plank, false. head-scarves, true.
Catherine Woodman
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Nayantara
Jan 10, 2013 Nayantara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Grace C
Jun 26, 2008 Grace C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides all the historical facts that are never supplied formally in school. A funny, sometimes disgusting, insight of what it was like living during the Georgian time (mind you, they are not at all gorgeous).
Will
May 23, 2016 Will rated it did not like it
Recommended to Will by: 112
The usual display of odd and interesting facts. But it repeats the lies about "rule of thumb" (Twice!) and "George Washington's wooden teeth". How much more of this enDearing guy's research is this sloppy in areas where I CAN'T spot it? That's HORRIBLE.
Lynda
Dec 26, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it
Very funny and extremely gross in places,no surprises there but an interesting read and a totally different take on history!!!
Cherish
May 24, 2012 Cherish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Noura
Jun 25, 2011 Noura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Noura by: P.sakagami
A fun way of learning history.
Charlotte
Again, probably out of date but still fun.
Neenee
Sep 23, 2014 Neenee rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-2014
3.5 stars. Entertaining & Funny. But I like their TV series better.
Emmapemma
I found the book a bit hard to keep track of.
Gabrielle
Apr 19, 2015 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good book to learn new facts and interesting things about the georgian era. Didn't go into enough detail about people like Dick Turpin though
Becky
Love these glad my daughter loves them too!
Shirley
This is a fun factual history book about the Georgians. I would have enjoyed history more in high school if they had more books like this.
Theonlyphoenix
Jun 26, 2015 Theonlyphoenix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had a lot more information about women and their lives than other books. It also focused a lot on fashion and beauty which I do like.
Alexandra
Oct 13, 2013 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I frikking loved this series.
CJ
Another great addiion the Horrible History range. Funny, interesting and not complicated. Ideal for any ages.

Sarah Lawrence
Sep 19, 2016 Sarah Lawrence rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-fun, clever
Horrible Histories are automatic 4s. Love them!
Marta Sadzewicz
Oct 06, 2014 Marta Sadzewicz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is my kind of history book :) I have learnt more from it than I did in high school...great book for all ages and one of many in the series.
  • Nasty Nature
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)