The Fourth Durango

The Fourth Durango

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Fourth Durango is not your ordinary Durango. It's not in Spain, or Mexico, and it's not a ski town in the Colorado Rockies, although Durangos do exist in all of those places. This Durango has an industry, albeit a rather odd one-it is a hideout business, a place where people pay to find sanctuary from former friends and associates who are either trying to kill them, or...more
Published December 1st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Durango, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Durango

Mike Jensen
How can a book that begins so well be so bad? There is only enough story here for a novella, but Thomas pads with so many flashbacks that the eyes roll when you come to another and there are long explanations about the past (sort of flashback but in current time) and an inexcusable revelation 100 pages near the end that two of the characters knew but if they had revealed it before the plot would have had little suspense. Add to this a too convoluted plot that by the end seems improbably silly an...more
Conrad
Good suspenseful read.
Benjamin Plume
While not quite as funny as the books featuring Wu and Durant (two of the most amusing and wily characters I know) this novel kept me turning pages. Every little aside is important to the plot that's eventually revealed, and yet I didn't feel lost when the final twists were introduced. As usual, Thomas allows readers to enjoy his work in a variety of ways...a close reading is excelletn but it seems it would work as light reading as well.
Anne
Mar 14, 2008 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nicole, jody, kyra, paula
Currently I am reading this just for fun. I tend to read thrillers and mysteries when I'm feeling overwhelmed by work, which is true right now. I like this Ross Thomas guy because he always comes up with interesting characters in unique situations, very similar to Elmore Leonard without the profanity.
Eric Hines
My second Ross Thomas book, and this one did not please as much as Chinaman's Chance, mostly because the central characters aren't quite as much fun. But Thomas is still a fine writer even in a pedestrian book.
Ellen
Thoroughly enjoyable yarn featuring former judge Jack Adair and former attorney Kelly Vines in the industry-less seaside town (with no beach) of Durango, Calif., with an almost-predictable twist.
Huma
The plot was interesting but the writing wasn't so good; or maybe the mood was such that I did not like it. Grisham would have done a better job of writing this story.
David
The greatest hideout of all time. Find this Durango and you find one of the best reads from one of the wittiest writers.
Tom
Mar 09, 2009 Tom added it
It's good, but I still think the mind-blowing The Fools in Town are on Our Side is Thomas's best.
Terry
The plot pulled me along but the characters were not nearly as interesting as Wu and Durant.
Christof
Richtig harter Krimi, zu Recht wieder entdeckter Autor
lunaticprophet
***+ Very entertaining, fun read
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Jul 08, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Kjersti
Kjersti marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Ross Thomas was an American writer of crime fiction. He is best known for his witty thrillers that expose the mechanisms of professional politics. He also wrote several novels under the pseudonym Oliver Bleeck about professional go-between Philip St. Ives.

Thomas served in the Philippines during World War II. He worked as a public relations specialist, reporter, union spokesman, and political strat...more
More about Ross Thomas...
Chinaman's Chance Briarpatch The Cold War Swap Out on the Rim The Fools in Town Are on Our Side