Start by marking “The Fourth Durango” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Durango

The Fourth Durango

The Fourth Durango is not your ordinary Durango. It's not in Spain, or Mexico, and it's not a ski town in the Colorado Rockies, although Durangos do exist in all of those places. This Durango has an industry, albeit a rather odd one-it is a hideout business, a place where people pay to find sanctuary from former friends and associates who are either trying to kill them, or ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Durango, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Durango

Mike Jensen
May 06, 2012 Mike Jensen rated it it was ok
How can a book that begins so well be so bad? There is only enough story here for a novella, but Thomas pads with so many flashbacks that the eyes roll when you come to another and there are long explanations about the past (sort of flashback but in current time) and an inexcusable revelation 100 pages near the end that two of the characters knew but if they had revealed it before the plot would have had little suspense. Add to this a too convoluted plot that by the end seems improbably silly an ...more
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
While not quite as funny as the books featuring Wu and Durant (two of the most amusing and wily characters I know) this novel kept me turning pages. Every little aside is important to the plot that's eventually revealed, and yet I didn't feel lost when the final twists were introduced. As usual, Thomas allows readers to enjoy his work in a variety of ways...a close reading is excelletn but it seems it would work as light reading as well.
Dale Barlow
Oct 15, 2015 Dale Barlow rated it liked it
a very involved mystery that I kept reading because each chapter had a new development—stunning ending. The problem for me was keeping up with all the characters.; I do understand how this author became well read (and is now deceased).; 1989 hardback via Madison County Public Library, Berea (author had another book on my “To Read” list but the Library didn’t have that one—this one looked interesting), 247 pgs.; 3 out of 5 stars; read 23 Oct., 2015/#37
Anne
Oct 13, 2007 Anne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nicole, jody, kyra, paula
Currently I am reading this just for fun. I tend to read thrillers and mysteries when I'm feeling overwhelmed by work, which is true right now. I like this Ross Thomas guy because he always comes up with interesting characters in unique situations, very similar to Elmore Leonard without the profanity.
Victoria Houston
Jan 30, 2015 Victoria Houston rated it it was amazing
Ross Thomas is my favorite mystery writer. He is the ultimate "writer's writer." The Fourth Durango zings with his wit and sly humor. Love his characters. The plot is convoluted but fun to follow.
Eric Hines
Nov 25, 2011 Eric Hines rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
My second Ross Thomas book, and this one did not please as much as Chinaman's Chance, mostly because the central characters aren't quite as much fun. But Thomas is still a fine writer even in a pedestrian book.
Huma
Jun 12, 2011 Huma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Huma by: Ayeshashoaib2003
The plot was interesting but the writing wasn't so good; or maybe the mood was such that I did not like it. Grisham would have done a better job of writing this story.
Ellen
Apr 14, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable yarn featuring former judge Jack Adair and former attorney Kelly Vines in the industry-less seaside town (with no beach) of Durango, Calif., with an almost-predictable twist.
Zuzu Burford
Jan 16, 2015 Zuzu Burford rated it really liked it
It shows what a good read can be, with imagination, plot, and eccentric characters. A satisfying and enjoyable story.
David
Feb 09, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
The greatest hideout of all time. Find this Durango and you find one of the best reads from one of the wittiest writers.
Tom
Feb 27, 2009 Tom added it
It's good, but I still think the mind-blowing The Fools in Town are on Our Side is Thomas's best.
Mike Downs
Feb 28, 2016 Mike Downs rated it really liked it
Another good one. His characters are well defined as usual. The story moves along well; although for me there are some pot holes in the road.
David Mclemore
David Mclemore rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Michael Hass
Michael Hass rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Wilfredo
Wilfredo rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Caleb
Caleb rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Caitlin Thomson
Caitlin Thomson rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2009
Colin Orr
Colin Orr rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Shannon Christine
Shannon Christine rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Richard Bronson
Richard Bronson rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Dean
Dean rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2015
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Elliott James
Elliott James rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Christian Rödel
Christian Rödel rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Ed Hanson
Ed Hanson rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Jonathan Dunn
Jonathan Dunn rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • The Xanadu Talisman (Modesty Blaise, #10)
  • New Hope for the Dead
  • Tango Briefing
  • J.D. Robb CD Collection 7: Visions in Death, Survivor in Death, Origin in Death
  • Gary Benchley, Rock Star
  • State of Siege
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Criptonomicón III: El código Aretusa
Ross Thomas was an American writer of crime fiction. He is best known for his witty thrillers that expose the mechanisms of professional politics. He also wrote several novels under the pseudonym Oliver Bleeck about professional go-between Philip St. Ives.

Thomas served in the Philippines during World War II. He worked as a public relations specialist, reporter, union spokesman, and political strat
More about Ross Thomas...