Start by marking “Anne Sexton Reads Her Kind/Divorce, Thy Name Is Woman/Little Girl, My String Bean, My Lovely Woman and Other Poems/Cassette” as Want to Read:

Anne Sexton's poems are brutally honest, often controversial, and always thought-provoking.  Her work continues to dazzle new generations of readers and listeners.

On this recording, made shortly before her death in 1974, Ms. Sexton reads twenty-four poems selected from different periods in her creative life, all in a dramatic, resonant voice that complements the deeply per

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Caedmon (first published 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Sexton Reads Her Kind/Divorce, Thy Name Is Woman/Little Girl, My String Bean, My Lovely Woman and Other Poems/Cassette

Ilze
Aug 22, 2008 Ilze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I forgot she'll have an American accent (!) and that her voice will be quite low (like a good alto) and raspy because she smoked so much. It's quite sing-song, but hearing it rather than reading it, makes it a novelty.

Since she reads the poems from Rowing the recording was presumably done shortly before the end of her life. By this time she must've read some of those poems to audiences a dozen times - could this be why she almost seems to sing them?
Holly
Mar 31, 2007 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
If you have never heard Anne Sexton read her poetry in her own voice this is an experience even the casual reader will benefit from. Here she sounds like she has just smoked a pack of cigarettes while facing down every regret and then looks up to find herself with an audience. Mesmerizing.
Heather Robinson
Love Sexton.
There is drama here-- but what good poetess isn't a tortured soul. Even so, she is authentic and raw.

From an era, where women were voicing themselves freely, she relishes this freedom. Strong, lovely, brazen. She gives perspective of the not quite discarded lover in "We all know the story of the other woman" or coping with aging when so much value is tied up in the fleeing maidens -- Youth and Beauty. I find her topics both saucy and brazen.

I think she wished to be Plath. Yet she
Ryan May
Ryan May rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2010
Moonpock
Moonpock rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Thea
Thea rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Jessica Jacobs
Jessica Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2007
Circe Link
Circe Link rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2007
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Mehdi
Mehdi rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Rayn Roberts
Rayn Roberts rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2008
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2007
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2007
Laura Durnell
Laura Durnell rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2009
Jennifer Slattery
Jennifer Slattery rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2010
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Khrystal
Khrystal rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Michelle Scalise
Michelle Scalise rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Kelly Hiscott
Kelly Hiscott rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2011
iShaniie
iShaniie rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
P.C.
P.C. rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
CrimsonCrow
CrimsonCrow rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
CrimsonCrow
CrimsonCrow rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
Steph Anne
Steph Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2008
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2008
Ajcirkelisyahoo.com
Ajcirkelisyahoo.com rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
Sarah Deutsch
Sarah Deutsch rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • High Times & Rough Rides of a Bipolar Addict
  • Searching for Mercy Street: My Journey Back to My Mother, Anne Sexton
  • Facing the Dragon: How a Desperate Act Pulled One Addict Out of Methamphetamine Hell
  • Sylvia Plath Reads
  • Against Forgetting: Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness
  • Love Alone: Eighteen Elegies for Rog
  • Monolithos: Poems, 1962 and 1982
  • Addict In The Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and Recovery
Anne Sexton once told a journalist that her fans thought she got better, but actually, she just became a poet. These words are characteristic of a talented poet that received therapy for years, but committed suicide in spite of this. The poetry fed her art, but it also imprisoned her in a way.

Her parents didn’t expect much of her academically, and after completing her schooling at Rogers Hall, sh
More about Anne Sexton...