Softwar: An Intimate Portrait of Larry Ellison and Oracle

Softwar: An Intimate Portrait of Larry Ellison and Oracle

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In a business where great risks, huge fortunes, and even bigger egos are common, Larry Ellison stands out as one of the most outspoken, driven, and daring leaders of the software industry. The company he cofounded and runs, Oracle, is the number one business software company. Perhaps even more than Microsoft's, Oracle's products are essential to today's networked world.
I...more
Published September 7th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Softwar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Softwar

David Kopec
Great Read, but Flawed

True to its subtitle Softwar does indeed deliver an 'intimate portrait' of billionaire business leader Larry Ellison. Unfortunately, although the book is enthralling and features an incredibly interesting format including written responses by Ellison to points raised by Symonds, it falls short in two important areas for biographies.

Firstly, Symonds is not objective - he clearly worked very closely with Ellison and certainly paints a more rosy picture of the complicated man...more
James Gingerich
If you have ever worked with Oracle or competed against them; this book is a must read. It captures the competitive spirit of Larry Ellison and the resultant culture of his firm. The book highlights the "Perfect Storm" of Oracle's infamous encounter with the State of California and details Ellison's gamble in shifting the company from a vendor of client-server software to the E-Business Suite. Whether or not Symonds intended to draw analogies between Ellison's yachting "hobby" and his business p...more
Sam
"I was most interested in the information on Oracle and Larry's theories on computing. This was dominant in the book, though it wasn't complete. I think I'd like to find a less complementary biography to balance this because I thought the author seemed more than friendly with him. I'd also like to find an update to cover the last 5+ years since the book was printed. For example, I know that the PeopleSoft and Seibel purchases have happened since then, and I'm curious on his take on why these wer...more
Davis
Aug 28, 2007 Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: software executives
Great biography on Larry Ellison. I've worked in the IT industry for over 10 years some of which focused on implementing software packages. I've seen Larry give keynote speeches and usually came across as an arrogant, self-righteous person. However, after reading this book and contemplating his ideas for the software industry, I now understand his actions and consider him to be one of the geniuses of the industry. At times the book comes across as a sales pitch, but at least it is a very convinc...more
Marc Nissen
Working for Oracle makes this book not mandatory to read, for sure. However, I was surprised how it helped me to understand business strategies of today. This book gives an autobiographical insight as well, but not more than I expected.
In my point of view the editor sometimes seemed to be too dependant and is lacking to be objective. But overall reading this book was a pleasure due to the unique live comments and footnotes of Larry himself.
Scott Cederberg
While this book fanned the flames of a brief obsession with Larry Ellison, it was overly fawning and did not provide much insight into the reasons for Oracle's business success. I suppose I got what I deserved for reading a book whose cover quotes reviews marveling at the "access" obtained by the author.
Eric Burns
Hilarious that they let Ellison comment on the text with footnotes. He needs his own show.
Steve
Liked it...what can I say, I work for the man.
Jun Zhao
Jun Zhao marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Kenrald Wand'ca
Kenrald Wand'ca marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Rafael Rinaldi
Rafael Rinaldi marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Rumanu Bhardwaj
Rumanu Bhardwaj marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Peter Mac
Peter Mac marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Rashid Sumler
Rashid Sumler marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Lianabaker
Lianabaker is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Tyler Storm
Tyler Storm marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Mancan
Mancan marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Jana Fazekašová
Jana Fazekašová is currently reading it
May 30, 2014