Start by marking “Softwar: An Intimate Portrait of Larry Ellison and Oracle” as Want to Read:
Softwar: An Intimate Portrait of Larry Ellison and Oracle

Softwar: An Intimate Portrait of Larry Ellison and Oracle

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In a business where great risks, huge fortunes, and even bigger egos are common, Larry Ellison stands out as one of the most outspoken, driven, and daring leaders of the software industry. The company he cofounded and runs, Oracle, is the number one business software company. Perhaps even more than Microsoft's, Oracle's products are essential to today's networked world.
I
Published September 7th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Softwar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Softwar

Arjun Balaji
3.5 stars.

A fun book with a longer blog post (with all my notes) certainly coming soon. I picked up Softwar after Ellison stepped down as CEO of Oracle a couple of months ago.

The most important thing I picked up from Softwar was how often historical trends repeat themselves — fundamentally, the battles we're currently witnessing with SaaS stacks are just iterations of wars that existed between database stacks and enterprise systems in the mid-nineties. Oracle and Ellison were in the thick of thi
David Kopec
Great Read, but Flawed

True to its subtitle Softwar does indeed deliver an 'intimate portrait' of billionaire business leader Larry Ellison. Unfortunately, although the book is enthralling and features an incredibly interesting format including written responses by Ellison to points raised by Symonds, it falls short in two important areas for biographies.

Firstly, Symonds is not objective - he clearly worked very closely with Ellison and certainly paints a more rosy picture of the complicated man
James Gingerich
If you have ever worked with Oracle or competed against them; this book is a must read. It captures the competitive spirit of Larry Ellison and the resultant culture of his firm. The book highlights the "Perfect Storm" of Oracle's infamous encounter with the State of California and details Ellison's gamble in shifting the company from a vendor of client-server software to the E-Business Suite. Whether or not Symonds intended to draw analogies between Ellison's yachting "hobby" and his business p ...more
Sam
"I was most interested in the information on Oracle and Larry's theories on computing. This was dominant in the book, though it wasn't complete. I think I'd like to find a less complementary biography to balance this because I thought the author seemed more than friendly with him. I'd also like to find an update to cover the last 5+ years since the book was printed. For example, I know that the PeopleSoft and Seibel purchases have happened since then, and I'm curious on his take on why these wer ...more
Davis
Aug 28, 2007 Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: software executives
Great biography on Larry Ellison. I've worked in the IT industry for over 10 years some of which focused on implementing software packages. I've seen Larry give keynote speeches and usually came across as an arrogant, self-righteous person. However, after reading this book and contemplating his ideas for the software industry, I now understand his actions and consider him to be one of the geniuses of the industry. At times the book comes across as a sales pitch, but at least it is a very convinc ...more
Jeff
Enjoyed the beginning but got repetitive and boring
Marc Nissen
Working for Oracle makes this book not mandatory to read, for sure. However, I was surprised how it helped me to understand business strategies of today. This book gives an autobiographical insight as well, but not more than I expected.
In my point of view the editor sometimes seemed to be too dependant and is lacking to be objective. But overall reading this book was a pleasure due to the unique live comments and footnotes of Larry himself.
Scott Cederberg
While this book fanned the flames of a brief obsession with Larry Ellison, it was overly fawning and did not provide much insight into the reasons for Oracle's business success. I suppose I got what I deserved for reading a book whose cover quotes reviews marveling at the "access" obtained by the author.
Eric Burns
Hilarious that they let Ellison comment on the text with footnotes. He needs his own show.
Steve
Liked it...what can I say, I work for the man.
Andy L Jessen
Andy L Jessen marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
David Petersen
David Petersen marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Andy
Andy is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Parambrahma Panda
Parambrahma Panda is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Colm Dooney
Colm Dooney marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Joseph P John
Joseph P John marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Harish Mallipeddi
Harish Mallipeddi is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Kapil
Kapil marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Mark McGranaghan
Mark McGranaghan is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
Kevin Laprocino
Kevin Laprocino is currently reading it
Dec 01, 2014
Stuart Maxwell
Stuart Maxwell marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Mahbub
Mahbub marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • Father, Son & Co.: My Life at IBM and Beyond
  • Valley Boy: The Education of Tom Perkins
  • How to Castrate a Bull: Unexpected Lessons on Risk, Growth, and Success in Business
  • The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*: Inside Oracle Corporation; *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison
  • To Infinity and Beyond!: The Story of Pixar Animation Studios
  • Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • The Bite in the Apple: A Memoir of My Life with Steve Jobs
  • These Are The Voyages: TOS Season One (These Are the Voyages, #1)
  • The Making of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
  • Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life
  • Hit and Run
  • Orson Welles, Vol. 2: Hello Americans
  • Life Form
  • Heaven's War (Heaven's Shadow, #2)
  • The View from the Bridge: Memories of Star Trek and a Life in Hollywood