Start by marking “The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim” as Want to Read:
The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim

The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim

After a brief survey of the historical development of the theological school now known as Calvinism and a comparison of Calvinism and Arminianism, Brown turns to a consideration of five dilemmas that Arminians typically associate with Reformed doctrines. The author then attempts to demonstrate that these problems are largely misunderstandings of Calvinism. Written in a win ...more
Published September 30th 2007 by Ligonier Ministries

To ask other readers questions about The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim

Demetrius Rogers
Feb 21, 2013 Demetrius Rogers rated it it was ok
Shelves: bible-theology
I may have liked this book better had it not been so glib in its representation of Arminianism. I did, however, appreciate the author's perspective regarding the destiny of deceased babies within the Reformed view of election.
Glyn Williams
Nov 26, 2013 Glyn Williams rated it liked it
Mention the word Calvinism or TULIP and people will immediately have an objection. If you tell people you hold to the doctrines of Calvin, they will almost inevitably answer you in some form of surprise or horror.

But how do you answer the objections that people have? This book by Brown will help you in that regard by giving you the answers to the five most common objections to Calvinism. Issues such as evangelism and prayer.

An easy, yet informative read. This along with Sproul's What is Reformed
Rodger
Jul 25, 2008 Rodger rated it really liked it
Everything you ever wanted to know, or not, about Calvinism in an easy to read format by a non-theologian. He explains the history of calvinism, briefly describing TULIP, but the crux of the book is about the dilemmas.
If Calvinism is true, how do you explain:
1. Man's responsibility?
2. Our motivation to good works?
3. The value of prayer and evangelism?
4. The existence of evil?
5. The eternal destination of children?
Numerous are the people who have rejected Calvinism based on their misunderstand
Alec Justice
Oct 10, 2016 Alec Justice rated it it was ok
Short book, read in a morning. This book has a bad attitude regarding Arminians, instead of leaning credence to both, and letting the reader decide, it does what Calvinists almost always tend to do: call everyone else a heretic and assure you that they have all the right answers. It ignores philosophical contradictions and the only leg they ever stand on is "Well, God is God. Who the hell do you think you are to ask questions or say it doesn't make sense?". It's a system of bullying and building ...more
Mark A Powell
Aug 10, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it it was ok
Brown details the differences between Calvinism and Arminianism, and then addresses five dilemmas Calvinism faces. The shortness of the book limits his responses, so don't expect much more than a surface-level answer, although he does include key Scripture passages to back up his statements. In total, however, the book was unconvincing. I agree with most of his arguments, but if I hadn't before I read this book, it's highly unlikely he would have changed my mind.
Luke Miller
Short treatment on what the author considers to be the five dilemmas of calvinism. Some interesting extended quotes. Very little textual work. The verses are listed but not explained at all. If you didn't already agree with his conclusions, I doubt this book would convince you.

Also read in June of 2012.
Michael Brown
Feb 19, 2011 Michael Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No even close to being the best book on Calvinism - very little grace shown through out the book to different viewpoints... disappointed is what I would have to say... it was less of an graceful explanation of what Calvinism is and more of a polemic attack galore on Arminianism. Could have been sooo much better
Mark Triplett
Jan 08, 2014 Mark Triplett rated it it was amazing
A fun, fast and enlightening read for those new to the doctrines of grace as well as those opposed to the teaching. I was especially impressed with how the author proffered an excellent "theory" on the origin/purpose of evil. The highlight for me was how the book handled a delicate yet important matter regarding the death of babies. All in all, an outstanding little book!!
Rebekah
Jul 23, 2010 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, christian
A brief overview of the historical basis for Reformed theology; comparison and contrast of Calvinism and Arminianism and what the Bible teaches; and a defense of the Reformed faith against some of the misconceptions that have hindered its acceptance among modern Christians.

A primer for those who are being introduced to these topics or want clarity as they work through them.
Rb Tolar
Apr 16, 2012 Rb Tolar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Answers the five basic objections to Reformed theology on a point-by-point basis. In case you haven't noticed, these are the same objections raised by the Remonstrants before the Synod of Dort. Arminius' views were declared heretical by the Synod, but Arminianism lives on.
Nathan
Aug 17, 2010 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A short and concise overview of the "five points" of Calvinism, along with answers to five charges often made against Calvinism. The book uses very clear language, and contains a lot of quotes and Scripture references. I think it could be useful for small group and one-on-one discussion.
John Weathersby
I like that the author was clear in his position while fairly presenting the opposing view point.

This is a well organized book looking straight at the difficult issues for people to reconcile with calvanistic thought.
Chance
Jun 29, 2016 Chance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent introduction to Reformed theology, with many arguments supported by Scriptural references. It defends Reformed Theology in a way that it refutes many common misunderstandings about it.
Ellen
Disagree with his conclusions about babies who die and about the origin of evil, but it's a special book to me, because of how the Lord used it for me when I first read it (back in 2008). It was very interesting to go back and read it again.
Mark
Aug 03, 2011 Mark added it
Great little book and a quick read. Gives a good, winsome, easy to understand overview of the 5 points of Calvinism and a defense against common misunderstandings of the theology.
Jul 04, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Loved this short little book. Answered many of my questions/concerns about my faith and drew me closer to my Heavenly Father.

(Hope Goodreads corrects the typo in the book title on here!)
Bob Gooch
Jul 05, 2014 Bob Gooch rated it really liked it
Quick read. Not thorough by any means, but good for those whose only exposure to Calvinism is from an Arminian perspective.
Victor Chininin
Victor Chininin rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Thomas Berber
Thomas Berber rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Joe Zillmer
Joe Zillmer rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Andrew
Dec 03, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
A simple read, not as deep as I would have liked getting into things. Still it's a good book.
Jo Ellen Tippins
Jo Ellen Tippins rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2013
Mike Garrett
Mike Garrett rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Beverly White
Beverly White rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Mark Notestine
Mark Notestine rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
hunter bradley
hunter bradley rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Charles Fowler
Charles Fowler rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Kelly Dunn
Kelly Dunn rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014