The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim

The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
After a brief survey of the historical development of the theological school now known as Calvinism and a comparison of Calvinism and Arminianism, Brown turns to a consideration of five dilemmas that Arminians typically associate with Reformed doctrines. The author then attempts to demonstrate that these problems are largely misunderstandings of Calvinism. Written in a win...more
Published September 30th 2007 by Ligonier Ministries

To ask other readers questions about The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Dilemmas of Calvinsim

Demetrius Rogers
I may have liked this book better had it not been so glib in its representation of Arminianism. I did, however, appreciate the author's perspective regarding the destiny of deceased babies within the Reformed view of election.
Bob Gooch
Quick read. Not thorough by any means, but good for those whose only exposure to Calvinism is from an Arminian perspective.
Mark Triplett
A fun, fast and enlightening read for those new to the doctrines of grace as well as those opposed to the teaching. I was especially impressed with how the author proffered an excellent "theory" on the origin/purpose of evil. The highlight for me was how the book handled a delicate yet important matter regarding the death of babies. All in all, an outstanding little book!!
Rodger
Everything you ever wanted to know, or not, about Calvinism in an easy to read format by a non-theologian. He explains the history of calvinism, briefly describing TULIP, but the crux of the book is about the dilemmas.
If Calvinism is true, how do you explain:
1. Man's responsibility?
2. Our motivation to good works?
3. The value of prayer and evangelism?
4. The existence of evil?
5. The eternal destination of children?
Numerous are the people who have rejected Calvinism based on their misunderstand...more
Mark A Powell
Brown details the differences between Calvinism and Arminianism, and then addresses five dilemmas Calvinism faces. The shortness of the book limits his responses, so don't expect much more than a surface-level answer, although he does include key Scripture passages to back up his statements. In total, however, the book was unconvincing. I agree with most of his arguments, but if I hadn't before I read this book, it's highly unlikely he would have changed my mind.
Rebekah
A brief overview of the historical basis for Reformed theology; comparison and contrast of Calvinism and Arminianism and what the Bible teaches; and a defense of the Reformed faith against some of the misconceptions that have hindered its acceptance among modern Christians.

A primer for those who are being introduced to these topics or want clarity as they work through them.
Michael Brown
No even close to being the best book on Calvinism - very little grace shown through out the book to different viewpoints... disappointed is what I would have to say... it was less of an graceful explanation of what Calvinism is and more of a polemic attack galore on Arminianism. Could have been sooo much better
Nathan
A short and concise overview of the "five points" of Calvinism, along with answers to five charges often made against Calvinism. The book uses very clear language, and contains a lot of quotes and Scripture references. I think it could be useful for small group and one-on-one discussion.
Rb Tolar
Answers the five basic objections to Reformed theology on a point-by-point basis. In case you haven't noticed, these are the same objections raised by the Remonstrants before the Synod of Dort. Arminius' views were declared heretical by the Synod, but Arminianism lives on.
John Weathersby
I like that the author was clear in his position while fairly presenting the opposing view point.

This is a well organized book looking straight at the difficult issues for people to reconcile with calvanistic thought.
Ellen
Disagree with his conclusions about babies who die and about the origin of evil, but it's a special book to me, because of how the Lord used it for me when I first read it (back in 2008). It was very interesting to go back and read it again.
Mark
Aug 03, 2011 Mark added it
Great little book and a quick read. Gives a good, winsome, easy to understand overview of the 5 points of Calvinism and a defense against common misunderstandings of the theology.
Andrew
A simple read, not as deep as I would have liked getting into things. Still it's a good book.
Craig
Paul
Paul added it
May 17, 2014
Brandon Tucker
Brandon Tucker is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2014
Ted Bollinger
Ted Bollinger marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013