Start by marking “What Is a Healthy Church Member?” as Want to Read:
What Is a Healthy Church Member?

What Is a Healthy Church Member?

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  694 ratings  ·  55 reviews

Biblically and practically instructs church members in ways theycan labor for the health of their church.

What Is a Healthy Church Member? takes its cue fromMark Dever's book What Is a Healthy Church?, which offeredone definition of what a healthy church looks like biblically andhistorically. In this new work, pastor Thabiti Anyabwile attemptsto answer the natural next ques

Published June 9th 2008 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about What Is a Healthy Church Member?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is a Healthy Church Member?

The Trellis And The Vine by Colin MarshallLife Together by Dietrich BonhoefferBrothers, We Are Not Professionals by John PiperTotal Church by Tim ChesterDangerous Calling by Paul David Tripp
Local Church
13th out of 54 books — 24 voters
Humility by C.J. MahaneyDug Down Deep by Joshua HarrisWhy We Love the Church by Kevin DeYoungThe Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World by John PiperWhy We're Not Emergent by Kevin DeYoung
2014 Reading List
9th out of 20 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam
Good, heartening stuff. In a day when we’re constantly being given reasons why the Church cannot possibly be fully Biblical, an author like Thabiti Anyabwile does a great service in plowing through all of that and simply, clearly describing the duties and character traits of a healthy Church member.
Dustin
May 09, 2012 Dustin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dustin by: Joshua Claycamp
Shelves: christian-living
A wonderful, short book that won't scare off those of whom it would be of the most use to. It was a joy to read and where I was strong, I was further encouraged; where I was weak, I was convicted. Every Christian ought to take a few days off from their reading schedule and go through this book.
Melanie
What Is a Healthy Church Member? is a straightforward, quick read which can prove beneficial to the new and long-standing church member alike.

I received my copy upon becoming a member of a local church (an excellent welcoming gift, I might add). However, if church leaders stand behind the points this book covers (or even just a number of them), an even more fitting idea might be to make the book part of a membership class which would take place prior to a membership commitment. That way, potenti
David
This book is perhaps the best material I have read to date on Church membership. It covers some very, very, basic material in a very, very, thought provoking manner. It is very, very, well organized and in my opinion, extremely sound doctrinally. It deals with the believers's walk, offering a checklist to help the believer find deficiencies in his conduct. It also emphasizes the LOCAL church rather than the universal kingdom approach so prevelant in theological materials today.

One of the reason
Johnny
What is a Healthy Church Member? is the second book in the IX Marks series which began with What is a Healthy Church?. In many ways, it’s the kind of book I avoid. It’s a short work filled with short prescriptions which are supposed to fit every believer and every church. I like complexity and ambiguity. Once in a while, though, we need to remind ourselves of fundamentals of what we do, just like major league baseball players need to reinforce throwing motions, fielding procedures, and bunting, ...more
Daniel Melvill
Oct 09, 2010 Daniel Melvill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any serious Chirstian
In What is a Healthy Church Member? Thabiti Anyabwile asks the question, “What does a healthy church member look like in the light of Scripture?”(14) The author answers his question with ten chapters, each addressing a mark of a healthy believer. The first five marks, Expositional Listening, Biblical Theology, Gospel Saturated Life, Genuine Conversion, and Biblical Evangelism, are calls to pursue a more biblical theology, while the final five, Committed Membership, Seeking Discipline, Growing as ...more
Marshall
Quick thought: I generally liked the book and thought he had some helpful insights for pastors and church goers. I especially enjoyed the exhortation to be a good, expository listener to the sermons that are preached by the pastor.
That said, I believe he misrepresents the gospel horribly when he conflates justification and sanctification in his segment on true conversion. He quotes Michael Andrus below: (from loc 757 in Kindle Version)
==
In order to keep a healthy view of conversion in mind in o
Clark Goble
This little book by Thabiti Anyabwile should be required reading for anyone who attends church. Unfortunately, many of us do not understand the importance of being involved in the local church and see it as an optional (and even sometimes offensive) aspect of our faith. Those of us who do attend often refrain from getting too involved and leave all the work of the church in the hands of a small minority.

Anyabwile, however, has provided readers with a wonder tool to benefit an individual who wan
Dan Curnutt
Thabiti Anyabwile gives us a great little tool to help each of us who are church members to understand what it is that will help us grow to our full potential in a very healthy manner. Often times we attend church without a clue as to what our responsibility is, what our reason for being there truly is or we think that just because we attend that gives us brownie points towards the ultimate goal of being allowed into heaven.

Thabiti though gives us very practical guidelines to remind us that we
Charles
This book is very practical. It offers some very clear guidance on areas that church members can focus in order to become "more effective" believers. Of course to some people this terminology is scary, to Thabiti never lets you doubt his heart behind his recommendations.

Instead of being scared of legalism and works-based salvation, Thabiti whole-heartedly sets forth the recommendations of how we can increase our love for other church members in practical ways.

We should not be scared to "work ou
Zachary Martin
Great book on what it truly means to be a part of a faith family. The chapters on expositional listening and evangelism are excellent! A must read for individuals desiring to join a local church or for those who have been members for a while and need a reminder of how they should function within their membership role.
Calvin
A gift from the Pastor on joining Greenisland Baptist Church, this little book contains much wisdom and practical guidance on how church and being in church should look and feel. A God centred and God honouring little volume. I needed to read this. We are needy people. God is a gracious giver. Thanks for the book.
Natalie Rehurek
This was an easy read and extremely helpful in my Christian walk! Very practical and well written.
Liz
Short and to the point, really clearly outlines 10 key characteristics of a healthy church member. Helpful and good reminders!
Mark
I enjoyed giving this book a careful, slow read this past week while Ashley and I were on Bryan College's senior trip (cruise to the Bahamas!). Many of the chapters were very convicting and others were very affirming and encouraging. For new and old believers alike, this will prove to be a helpful read. I loved how he balanced the necessity of both devotion to God and God's people with being an accurate student of the Biblical text. I also enjoyed his emphasis on seeing Christianity as a corpora ...more
Patrick
Good, basic stuff.
Tim
Great book on what it means to be a healthy church member. 10 solid marks of a biblical god-honoring member. This book will help you develop the attitudes and right biblical thinking about church. The recommended supplementary resources at the end of each chapter are a very helpful resource.

When compared with "Stop Dating the Church" by Joshua Harris and "I am a Church Member" by Thom Rainer, this book is more advanced and has a more mature writing style. I prefer this book to either.
Kelby
I have loved reading this book.
Sean
I can see this book being an excellent resource to new Christians and those new to the church experience or even those only new to the idea of church membership. However, to a more mature Christian, this book might seem like it's too brief on certain subjects and serve as more a reminder than anything. That isn't to say that there isn't good stuff for everyone to hear. I certainly took some things away from it, but people looking for something deeper might be a little disappointed.
Mark A Powell
Although much discussion has been given to what makes a healthy church, most of it tends to be abstract and general in nature. What Anyabwile does in this book, however, is focus on what makes church members healthy. The premise is that when members are healthy, the church will function and grow as it should. Anyabwile includes the way church members should listen to sermons, share their faith with others, and be sincerely devoted to prayer.
James B
Concise yet comprehensive book on the biblical understanding of what a healthy church member should be. The book is based on "9 Marks of a healthy church" by Mark Dever, but written from the perspective of a church member, in how we can live out as the body of Christ in accordance to the principles found in scripture. The books brings clarity as well as challenge to all believers who often ponders what we are really doing at church.
Ron
Oct 17, 2013 Ron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: church
My daughter was given this book to read when she joined a new church. She gave it to me to read. The 10 topics that are discussed:
- expositional listener
- seeks discipline
- growing disciple
- humble follower
- prayer warrior
It looks similar to Nine Marks of a Healthy Church (which I have not read).
Jack Hansen
A much needed book for this day and age. There are many Christian Atheists in the world, today. Using scripture, Thabiti M. Anyabwile, Pastor of First Baptist Church, Grand Cayman Islands, former Assistant Pastor at Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington, DC, addresses the members of their respective Christian churches as to having a healthy relationship with God and each other.
Drew
This is a simple and helpful introduction to the topic of church membership. There may be many with a quibble here or there about something that is not included. However, in a world that suffers from a lack of good books about membership, I will take Anyabwile's something over their nothing. I am a pastor, and this is a book I want in the hands of all of my members.
Bailey
We used this book for our "Membership Class" at church and I think it has a lot of great and useful information in it. I agreed with almost everything they taught, my only complaint is some parts could be a little "over my head." (But that's normal for me:) If you are looking at church membership, or don't believe in, this is a GREAT read for you!
Heather
Even though I was required to read this for a college course, I enjoyed it! It was very practical and simple. It not only points out things but also gives you questions to truly think about what you are reading. Going through this, I was greatly challenged and came out with a different outlook on church members.
Jeff Stiles
I found this book to be really helpful. A lot of the ideas were refreshers for me, but I need refreshers from time to time. This would be a good book for new members classes or just for Christians to read once every couple of years. I wouldn't mind going through it again with a group.
Timothy Bertolet
This is a great book! If you are a pastor buy copies and pass it out to the people in your church. It is short enough but it is very Biblically oriented and profound in its practical wisdom. It is a must read for members of a local church.
Marguerite Harrell
Great book to read! It is a must to have especially for the new church member to understand what it means to be in church member and how to be a healthy church member and to be part of the church bodies.
Benoit Guillot
A very simple, clear, biblical, yet practical teaching of what is the church of Christ... a practical definition of what it means to be part of the body of Christ among a local community of believers.
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • Church Planting Is for Wimps: How God Uses Messed-Up People to Plant Ordinary Churches That Do Extraordinary Things
  • The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-Lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World
  • Biblical Eldership
  • Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • John MacArthur: Servant of the Word and Flock
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • The Master's Plan for the Church
  • Preaching and Preachers
Thabiti Anyabwile is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church of Grand Cayman in the Grand Cayman Islands and a Council member with The Gospel Coalition.
More about Thabiti M. Anyabwile...
Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons The Gospel for Muslims: An Encouragement to Share Christ with Confidence Captivated: Beholding the Mystery of Jesus' Death and Resurrection The Decline of African American Theology: From Biblical Faith to Cultural Captivity The Faithful Preacher: Recapturing the Vision of Three Pioneering African-American Pastors

“If we want to know and reverence God truly, we will dedicate ourselves to becoming biblical theologians who understand the narrative and themes of Scripture.” 0 likes
“The health of the local church depends on the willingness of its members to inspect their hearts, correct their thinking, and apply their hands to the work of the ministry.” 0 likes