Start by marking “The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

This cookbook is a proven classic and a good introduction to vegetarian cooking. Talented cooks from The Farm, a vegetarian community in Tennessee, present a great collection of plant-based recipes. These tasty, nutritious, and economical meals are cholesterol-, egg- and dairy-free.
Published January 1st 1989 by Book Publishing Company (TN) (first published October 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
63rd out of 237 books — 329 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by America's Test KitchenBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and Gardens
Awesome Cookbooks!
34th out of 137 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Anastasia Riebs
The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook is, and has been, my favorite cookbook. I'm currently on my FOURTH copy, having used my others until the pages fell to the floor.

This is one of my books that I won't lend out; its just too useful. The title is misleading; the recipes are VEGAN. At the time it was written, however, the word "vegetarian" was fairly one-size-fits-all. "The Farm" is an intentional community established in 1971, when its original settlers followed Stephen Gatskin from San Francisco to
kristin
Jun 25, 2007 kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan_cookbooks
My edition is actually just "The Farm" not "The New Farm." It's worth it just for the melty mac & "cheese." My 2nd favorite cookbook after Soy Not Oi.
Christina
Jul 27, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
A very great resource book. Lots of things you never knew you could easily make from scratch. Like soymilk, tempeh, you name it. It might seem a little outdated to those that want something really modern and posh, but I just love it. It has timeless basic recipes and really really easy and great bread recipes. Excellent resource, I recommend it.
Misha
Mar 10, 2013 Misha rated it really liked it
This was my go-to cookbook when I was vegan. Some of the recipes came out weird, though, like the fake cheese, but I forgive it for its sheer crunchy, vegetarian exhuberance!
Tako
Aug 01, 2013 Tako rated it it was amazing
This is a classic vegetarian cookbook. Almost every recipe in this book is unpretentious yet delicious.
Margaret
Jan 02, 2016 Margaret rated it it was amazing
This was my very first vegan cookbook (from when there were only a few vegan cookbooks out there). It is simple and sort of from "another time" in vegan history. That said, we use the pancake recipe all the time (I've added more baking powder and less oil) and often make it with gluten-free flour. What's so fun about owning this book is that years after I bought it, I became good friends with a woman who was born on The Farm and her mom had helped to edit the book. Veganism may have evolved sinc ...more
Sheryl
Aug 29, 2007 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegetarian
This book makes me feel very nostalgic. I don't know that I've ever actually cooked anything from it, but I like to look at the pictures of the hippies making tofu and feeding babies and such. And the nutrition references in the back are good. And, someday I might want to make my own tofu.
I'm not a huge fan of the "soy based lifestyle" sort of vegetarianism, but if you are looking for more vegan standby recipes, this is a good basic book to have.
Todd Tyrtle
Feb 17, 2013 Todd Tyrtle rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
A few good recipes - pancakes and vegan mac & cheese were things we made a bunch of. That said, I think the fact that this is a cookbook based on what was served at an intentional community whose kitchen had to cater to the palates of many made for what I find to be a collection of overwhelmingly bland recipes. The kind of food that non-vegetarian people are incorrect in thinking vegetarian food is all about.
Carrie
Oct 19, 2007 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new vegetarians
Shelves: vegancookbooks
This book is great for the new vegetarian who may have loads of questions about staples of the veg diet. You can find out exactly what tempeh, tofu, soymilk, nutritional yeast, tvp, and seitan are - as well as how they're made. This book answers lots of questions, and the pictures of the happy health vegetarian hippies cast away your doubts of the healthfulness of a vegetarian diet.
jaimmie
May 28, 2009 jaimmie rated it liked it
For some reason a lot of the dessert type recipes in this book just did not turn out right for me, Especially the cake recipes. However, I really enjoyed the information and recipes for the tempeh, soymilk, soy yogurt, Yuba, gluten roasts and tofu .It is definitely worth picking up and reading if you’re interested in making tofu or any of the above at home.
aizjanika
Dec 09, 2013 aizjanika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
My mother, who was not vegan, had and used an older copy of this book. I bought this book probably 25 or more years ago, and it has been a trusted favorite in our household for all of these years. The pizza cheese recipe is the one that stands out to me the most, but I have loved and used this cookbook for so many years. It's a classic.
Plant Girl
Oct 26, 2007 Plant Girl rated it really liked it
I love this book! The recipes are easy, healthy, cheap to make, tasty and all vegan! What more could one ask for? I love the basic recipes (the biscuits are great!) and the enchilada sauce and nut yeast cheezy sauce are both awesome. I have never had better enchiladas, and they go over well at communes!
Emahlie
Oct 07, 2007 Emahlie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vegetarian vegan
Shelves: cooking
Well this book has a lot of great crazy hippie vegetarian/vegan recipes in it. It has some simple dishes like lentil loaf and enchiladas with a nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce which are memorable favorites. If you are so motivated to you can learn how to make your own tempeh.
Jen
Mar 26, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book.. It is my absolute favorite vegetarian cookbook.. it's old, it's hippie and I find myself going back to it time and time again to revisit recipes. If you are a vegetarian or vegan this is a must have on your cookbook shelf
HeavyReader
Jul 03, 2007 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Shelves: food
I got this cookbook because I coveted Jessica Ratchliff's copy. I've cooked some things out of it. These recipes are highly based on soy, so if you need to figure out what to do with tofu or tempeh (or how to make your own!) this book is for you.
EmK
Apr 22, 2008 EmK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
great vegan cookbook with lots of staples and comfort food. worth it just to learn how to make the nutritional yeast sauce--the basis for the "Famous Yeasty Casserole" many of my friends are familiar with. YUM!
Rosa-maria
Jul 20, 2008 Rosa-maria rated it it was amazing
Very good beginner vegan book. Explains common ingredients, and the recipes are simple and straight-forward. Inspired my love of nutritional yeast... the mac and cheeze recipe is classic and perfect.
Leilani
Jun 27, 2007 Leilani rated it really liked it
my first vegan cookbook! I have never made half of this stuff, but it has really simple recipes. I love the nutritional yeast sauce in there! Even though Rose told me my nachos were disgusting...
Joshua
Jan 11, 2008 Joshua rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A good all around basic vegan cookbook. Yeah sure, a lot of the recipes in here need to be added to or adjusted, but still quite helpful. Thanks to Uncle Bill and all the Tennessee hippies.
Eric
Dec 08, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent stuff here. My only real gripe with this book, (aside from the hippies, of course) is the proportions are to feed a small army. That's it. Otherwise, this is solid!
Neph
Mar 24, 2010 Neph rated it really liked it
This is an excellent beginner book for vegetarian/vegans. it has simple effective homey hearty recipes including vegan mac and cheese, potato knishes, cake etc.
Darby
Jun 23, 2008 Darby rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I enjoy all the simple wisdom contained in it. The recipes are simple and the pictures entertaining. Basicly inspirational!
Pam
Jan 30, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
This is, hands-down, the BEST, and most used cookbook I own. There's nothing fancy in here, just good basic recipes to build from. It's all vegan.
Nancy
Nov 08, 2014 Nancy rated it did not like it
Yes, this is an older book, but soy, soy, soy everywhere. I was hoping for some good, fresh ideas, not rehydrated TVP all over
Mo
Jul 22, 2010 Mo added it
Shelves: vegan-veg
I still have fantasies about the vegan cornbread recipe...! I need to dig this up somewhere, stat. An oldie but goodie.
Jana Giger
Jul 22, 2008 Jana Giger rated it really liked it
Great vegan recipes that aren't expensive to make or that use too many hard-to-find ingredients. I highly recommend it!
Susan
Mar 18, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
New and old, another life-changer! Spaghetti sauce = sloppy joe; honey cake is The One...
Kellie
May 20, 2010 Kellie rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite cookbook! I use it so much that it has fallen apart.
Alexia
May 21, 2008 Alexia rated it really liked it
The best banana bread and chocolate cake recipes I have found!
Paul
Jan 18, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like margarine
Recommended to Paul by: The Vegan Potluck folks
If you like margarine, you'll love the new farm cookbook
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Soy, Not Oi!
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Vegan Express
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Party Vegan
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion