Start by marking “Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude” as Want to Read:
Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  19 reviews
One Hundred Years of Solitude is perhaps the most important landmark of the so-called Boom in contemporary Latin American fiction. Published in 1967, the novel was an instant success, running to hundreds of editions, winning four international prizes and being translated into 27 languages. In 1982, its author received the Nobel Prize for Literature. Michael Wood places the ...more
Published May 31st 1990 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about Gabriel García Márquez, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gabriel García Márquez

Henok
I don't even know what to say...I stumbled on this book in the sci-fi section of my library (what?), and grabbed it after flipping through a couple of pages. A week later, my head is still in a whirl. I was absolutely not expecting to be drawn into the uniquely small-town mythology of Macondo. Part fairy tale, part historical drama, filled with a romanticism that regularly bleeds into pure sensualism, it felt like at times I was drowning under the all-too-human passions of beings that couldn't f ...more
Philip Beukes
Excellent opening paragraph, unfortunately that's where the magic ends or really begins...
Confusing with to many characters portrayed in a whirlwind of time and space. Fought hard to get through it.
Anna
It lures me in every time I pick it up off the shelf.
Jessica
The title is confusing. This isn't "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by G.G.M....it's an *ANALYSIS* of One Hundred Years, by Michael Wood. I don't normally read stuff like this but I was just dying to know what other people thought One Hundred Years was supposed to be about. Interesting take! Helpful! It's just one guy's opinion, but he makes good points.
Mohamed Naseem
IT IS A VERY VERY FANTASTIC BOOK
Tiffani Sheriff
An absolute must read! I can't vouch for this translation but this is one of the most well written books I've ever had the honor to read. Opt for an edition with the family tree in the front...you will need it. Hang in there, it is worth every second.
Linda
I could not get through this. I didn't care about the characters, the story lines were vague and uninteresting. I kept pushing myself to read more, looking for the spark, but I finally gave up.
Roy
Spellbinding, and beautifully written. Mystical and magical. The greatest book I've read. Even better on second reading. My only regret is that I was unable to read it in its original language.
Andrea
The best latin american novel I have ever read. I certainly want to re read it at some point, there are so many subleties that I probably did not pick up on in the first reading.
Katie
Wow! What a story. Multi-layered in plot and three-dimensional in its realism, this novel celebrates the fallacies of human nature.
Chris Wulferdingen
This book is amazing. Mystical, historical, family drama that cannot be put down.
Hamideh
boring, hard to read,
just you learn somthings about war and not any thing else
Cori Baybay
i find this book very entertaining....funny to read yet a bit weird.
Eddie Hollander
I read this at a young age and I would like to read it again.
Bettye
I had a hard time getting through this book.
Danielle
One of the best books I have read.
Keila
Li em português... É inegável a genialidafe do autor. Gostei da astúcia da poética, mas a verdade é que a literatura "fantástica" não faz muito meu estilo... Não leria o livro de novo.
Wyatt
Jun 15, 2012 Wyatt added it
All time fave.
Alejandra Ospina
Alejandra Ospina marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Katerina
Katerina marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Tina Pearson
Tina Pearson marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • The Hidden Life of Wolves
  • The Flying Circus of Physics
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Dead Girls
  • Ernest Hemingway's the Old Man and the Sea (Bloom's Reviews)
  • The Power of Beauty: Men, Women and Sex Appeal Since Feminism
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Stargazing: Memoirs of a Young Lighthouse Keeper
  • The Olive Readers
  • The Bamboo Dancers (Filipino Literary Classics)
  • Empire of Debt: The Rise of An Epic Financial Crisis
  • Dua Belas Pasang Mata (Twentyfour Eyes)
  • 101 Ways to Get and Keep His Attention

Michael Wood born in Lincoln, England, is the Charles Barnwell Straut Class of 1923 Professor of English and Professor of comparative literature at Princeton University. He is an alumnus of St John's College, Cambridge.

Prior to teaching to Princeton, he taught at Columbia U
More about Michael Wood...
The Magician's Doubts: Nabokov and the Risks of Fiction Belle de Jour The Road to Delphi: The Life and Afterlife of Oracles America in the Movies or Santa Maria, It Had Slipped My Mind Literature and the Taste of Knowledge