Start by marking “Christianity in Crisis” as Want to Read:
Christianity in Crisis

Christianity in Crisis

On Christian television, in pulpits, seminars and books, a growing number of church leaders are spreading distorted doctrines that undermine the very core of Biblical Christianity. Hanegraaff exposes the surprising blasphemies and widespread teachings and gets to the root of false teachings that are endangering unwary followers.
Published July 1st 1992 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Christianity in Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christianity in Crisis

Jim
Aug 10, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have skimmed a bit of the book already. I have been aware of this book for years (I have the old version on my bookshelf), I am happy to have this updated version (quite impressed with additional information and format). I came out of the "Word of Faith Movement" in the late 1980's/early 1990's. I attended and graduated from Rhema Bible Training Center (Kenneth Hagin's school) in 1980, 1981. This book is so revealing, and shows the error of the WOF, I'm so blessed the Lord brought me out of th ...more
Michael Brown
Apr 18, 2009 Michael Brown rated it really liked it
This is for the "Christianity In Crisis: The 21st Century" Edition

ISBN: 978-0849900068

Good reads has a different book under that isbn....

"Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth..." The Apostle Paul (Acts 20:30)

I knew some of the theology of the "Word of Faith" movement but I never knew just how messed up and how full of error it actually is. After reading this book it is amazing and sad how many people are hooked by the personalities and the "Name it Claim it" and the "
J.E. Jr.
Nov 29, 2010 J.E. Jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to read Christianity in Crisis: 21st Century Edition by Hank Hanegraaff. [Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy of this book by Thomas Nelson in exchange for my agreement to review it.]

When I was in college, the first edition of this book came out. I was floored; I had always had a hunch that guys like Benny Hinn, Robert Schuler, and Kenneth Copeland were more snake-oil salesmen than they were Bible preachers, but I never knew how, to what extent, or just how dangerous they were
Jonathan Brenneman
Jun 03, 2016 Jonathan Brenneman rated it it was ok
This book is a criticism of the teaching of many popular Word of Faith teachers, like Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Joel Osteen, ect.

Most of the criticisms are based on severe misrepresentations of what the teachers in question actually said. I was amazed at how grossly the author twisted their words in some cases. It seemed like it bordered on downright dishonesty.

The only area in which I thought many of the criticisms were actually fair was the chapter "Wealth and want". Some of the people i
Ben Zajdel
Hank Hanegraaff goes on an all-out assault on Word of Faith teachers in his new book, Christianity in Crisis 21st Century. One can almost feel his frustration with the state of "Faith" Christianity pouring out of the pages. The result is a book that is passionate and full of good information, but poorly written.

Hanegraaff starts out by stating his intent and purpose of writing the book, then launches into a chapter titled "Cast of Characters." This chapter is basically a roster of Faith teacher
Dale
Aug 24, 2012 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important book but in serious need of an editor

Christianity in Crisis: The 21st Century exposes the serious flaws in the theology of most of America's famous TV preachers, especially the cavalcade of larger than life ministers that appear around the country on Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN).

Basically, the doctrines are called "prosperity" and "faith". The faith doctrine is the most insidious because it sounds so harmless. Shouldn't all Christians have faith?

Well, this doctrine is somethi
Orville Jenkins
May 17, 2015 Orville Jenkins rated it really liked it
An update of the earlier Christianity in Crisis. The author provides an exposé and refutation of the Word of Faith or Prosperity Gospel cult, also known as Name it and Claim It, that has become so popular in recent years.

This volume was very enlightening and made me aware of some names I did not know and some with which I was only vaguely familiar. The author goes through a detailed analysis of various proponents of this prosperity gospel. He points up some of the specific teachings and underlyi
Cafelilybookreviews

I read Christianity in Crisis by Hank Hanegraaff with mixed emotions. While I agree whole heartedly with his stance against “rock star”, celebrity ministers who are leading people astray, I found myself wishing he had spent more time teaching balance and context instead of bashing. Though his facts may be accurate – his approach came across very terse. The first part of this book made me feel as if I had picked up a trashy gossip magazine.

At chapter 25 (Amen), Hanegraaff begins to write about ge
Chris
May 24, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Eye-opening. I would consider this a must-read for any "true" Christ-follower...if for no other reason, than to be aware of all the false teachings that are out there, and to think honestly about your own doctrine. Why do you believe what you believe? How solid is your knowledge of scripture, God, etc? When challenged on your own beliefs, how strongly are you convicted of their truths? The over-arching point of this book is to say that if you don't know what you believe and why - then it is EASY ...more
Richard
Nov 09, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
In a recently updated Christianity in Crisis, Hank Hanegraaff continues his assault on "Faith teachers". You may recognize a couple of names: Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer. He adds their name to the club of preachers including: Benny Hinn and Oral Roberts. (we'll call them slightly crazy preachers)

In this updated book, Hanegraaff reveals the errors in the message these faith preachers share and how it is so far different than what the Bible teaches, that they are practically cultists!

He speaks out
Crumbsonmyfloor
Apr 03, 2009 Crumbsonmyfloor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy to receive this book in the mail. I was a bit worried since it is over 300 pages. But once I got started, I couldn’t put it down.

It went into the definintion of cults in the beginning, something I was interested in.

Then into the *cast of characters*. Putting names out there like Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen and who can’t forget Benny Hinn. I have always thought of the first two as always candy coating their words. Putting sugar on the word of God because they believe that so many p
Molly
Dec 31, 2009 Molly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't help feeling like, as I read this book, I was reading a book about the "religious right" written by the mainstream media. It is a collection of sound bytes and quotes that make charismatic teaching seem extreme and dangerous. While most of the teachers that he quotes I don't generally read or listen to, I have found that the charismatic world has it's crazy quacks, but also has some solid Biblical teaching. Anwyay, just my two cents. If I read this book knowing nothing about the chari ...more
Cory Howell
Aug 31, 2010 Cory Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Christians
Excellent! Hank Hanegraaff does a thorough job at explaining the myriad errors of the Word-Faith movement. He quite correctly points out that their errors are not simply a matter of disagreeing on minor points, but rather a radical departure from essential Christian doctrine. I have seen several reviews of this book in which people complain that it's not fair for Hank to criticize other sincere Christians. I find those reviews frightening. If people are leading hundreds of thousands of believers ...more
Jackie
Jun 02, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Sometimes Hanegraaff seems like a witch hunter, tracking down false teaching and false teachers. But I so appreciate his desire to make people aware of what is going on in the world. I listened to this one on an audio book...way back in the day. To hear these guys say these things with their own lips is many times nothing short of blasphemous. This public confrontation is necessary as these false teachings are blatantly belittling the words of our King...all over the world.

The update to this boo
Eric
Jul 25, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is of the Barnes & Noble Nook eBook.

I've long admired Hank Hanegraaff's ability to clearly, yet thoroughly, teach a subject. I learned a tremendous amount about the Faith movement through this book, and my only complaint is that in his effort to be thorough, Mr. Hanegraaff is sometimes a little redundant.

Having said that, the editing of this book was amazingly sloppy. I don't know if it was because of the conversion to eBook or if the print version shares these flaws, but the boo
Mike
Feb 17, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Christians.
It’s kind of embarrassing when you turn on the TV and see some snail-oil salesman representing him/herself off as Christian. Sometimes it’s not so obvious, and to those who are not already grounded in orthodoxy, it’s almost impossible to see though the subtle twisting and changing of sound Christian doctrine within the “Word of Faith” movement. This is a good book in “calling out” many of those you may have thought to be orthodox and who use the word “Christian” but may be far from the historic ...more
Mike Lewis
Apr 08, 2012 Mike Lewis rated it liked it
This book was very well written, but just didn't appeal to me too much (so three stars just on my personal preference). This was a great book if you needed to know more about the Faith movements out there. Hanegraaff goes through very systematically and provides citations for many of the statements he quotes in the book. If you or someone you know is involved or being influenced by these "faith" movements, this would be a great book to start with. He also provided some great foundations on the b ...more
Michael Vincent
A good updated version of his older work. He has excellent notes and references concerning his debate with the Faith teachers. In many ways it is more of a resource (It took me years to get through) than something just to sit down and read, but worth the time from a well-respected, popular, theologian. I would caution readers that his amillennial view of the end times passages shows in several discussions, but overall a helpful book. Years ago I read his earlier book, but appreciate that the upd ...more
Judah
Eye opening and highly recommended to anyone of the Christian faith. Hanegraaf tears apart the unbiblical lies of TD Jakes, John Hagee, Joyce Meyers, and Joel Olsteen.

The only downside is it's long and tend to repeat itself (especially with the use of long quotes , some appearing 4-5 times). After finishing, I believe it was done intentionally as this is meant more as a reference book than a quick read.
D Posey
Oct 31, 2011 D Posey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A sobering look at modern Christianity and the so called Faith Movement. At times this book is frustrating, maddening, and overall left me with a profound sadness for those who are being deeply wounded by unbiblical teachings. Hank pulls no punches and the book contains enough footnotes to create a second book. A must read for those that may be struggling with how to address clear biblical errors within the church.
Dan
From the author who brought us Counterfeit Revival, Hanegraaff shares in Christianity in Crisis about the dangers of a cultic movement within Christianity that threatens to undermine the very foundation of biblical faith. This book is bound to offend, addressing the teachings of many famous “Christian” leaders such as Benny Hinn, John Hagee, Kenneth Copeland and Joel Osteen.
Jason
Jun 06, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: discernment
A survey of the most prominent movers and shakers in the Word of Faith movement, together with their doctrinal aberrations.

This books shows them to be wolves in sheep's clothing, and shows how they've not only butchered many of the teachings of Scripture, but have fleeced many of the poor out of their cash, and used those spoils to finance lives of luxury.
Ivy Overby
Jan 22, 2008 Ivy Overby rated it it was ok
Interesting book about the faith movement in Christianity.i.e. TV evangelists. I grew up with this stuff and am finding it interesting how some of the (I'll say it) heresies have lingered for me. So it's been a good thing for me to reevaluate some of my theology. I'm going to see if my mom will read it too.
Lisa
Oct 09, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accurate in most ways, but pretty biased against Oneness believers, and beliefs misquoted and misunderstood. I think it's unfair to classify all Oneness believers as "heretics"; still, overall the book is dead-on accurate in its detail regarding the nature of the Prosperity Movement and its pervasiveness in the American church.
Shannon
Aug 21, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very good insights regarding many of the key players in the Word of Faith movement. Some unknown vocabulary but for the most part an easy read. Brings to light the erroneous thinking and dangers of the movement.
Michael Vincent
Sep 17, 2014 Michael Vincent rated it really liked it
Hanegraaff seeks to speak the truth as he shares concern about many ministries which he considers cults or on the edge of Christianity. A helpful and clear work on the basics of the faith and how to tell if someone is speaking the truth of God's Word.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 08, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it it was amazing
Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Eric
Aug 16, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing
If you are attached to your favorite preacher more than you are to the Scriptures, then stay away from this book. If you see the value of exercising discernment and willing to "test all things" in light of biblical doctrines, you NEED this book...
Erin P
Apr 17, 2011 Erin P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
had some good points, but a little too preachy to me.
Tracy Spencer
TRUE! Goes into great detail on today's church & "Prosperity Preachers." Don't read if you are not a thinker or easily offended!
  • Revelation:  Four Views: A Parallel Commentary
  • The Body
  • Charismatic Chaos
  • Understanding Dispensationalists
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • The Forgotten Trinity
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • Classic Christianity: Life's Too Short to Miss the Real Thing
  • Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church
  • The Great Evangelical Disaster
  • Persuasions: A Dream of Reason Meeting Unbelief
  • Broken: Seven Christian Rules That Every Christian Ought to Break as Often as Possible
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics (Baker Reference Library)
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • Reason to Believe: A Response to Common Objections to Christianity
  • Why Johnny Can't Sing Hymns: How Pop Culture Rewrote the Hymnal
  • How We Got the Bible
  • Unexpected Love: God's Heart Revealed in Jesus' Conversations with Women
Hank Hanegraaff serves as president and chairman of the board of the North Carolina–based Christian Research Institute International. He is also host of "The Bible Answer Man" radio program, which is broadcast daily across the United States and Canada as well as around the world through the Internet at http://www.equip.org. Widely considered to be one of the world's leading Christian apologists, H ...more
More about Hank Hanegraaff...

“Kenneth Copeland: «Como creyente, tiene usted derecho a dar órdenes en el nombre de Jesús. Cada vez que se apoya en la Palabra, está ordenando a Dios hasta cierto nivel porque es Palabra de Él» (Our Covenant with God [KCP Publications, 1987], p. 32).” 0 likes
“Charles Capps: «En esto [el Pacto de Abraham], Dios establece una entrada legal en la tierra, y le da a Abraham acceso a Él mismo… Este pacto le dio a Dios entrada legal a la tierra por medio de Abraham… Hasta ese momento Dios estaba, hasta cierto grado, aún en mirando desde el exterior. Él necesitaba una entrada legal por medio de un hombre a fin de poder destruir las obras del diablo, que campaba a sus anchas en la tierra. Abraham fue el medio de entrada de Dios en la tierra» (Authority in Three Worlds, pp. 60–61).” 0 likes