Start by marking “Then There Was No Mountain: A Parallel Odyssey of a Mother and Daughter Through Addiction” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Then There Was No Mountain" describes the external and internal processes the author, Sophie's mother, experiences in coming to terms with her daughter's addiction.
Published August 29th 2003 by Taylor Trade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Then There Was No Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Then There Was No Mountain

Karen Zacharias
Read this book in an afternoon. I simply could not tear myself away from this family's unraveling and restoration. Unlike far too many memoir writers, Waterston does not whitewash or romanticize the abrasiveness of addictions. Her writing is bold but never brash, infused with the East Coast landscape of her youth and the West Coast landscape of her choosing. She is a masterful storyteller.
Leigh Hancock
Have you ever gone all the way to the back of Sunset magazine, past the pages of pages of "Must Take" vacations and patio makeovers that cost more than I made in my first ten years of teaching--only to reach the back page ads and realize there is irony in paradise. Because this entire magazine, or at least the full features section, is bank-rolled by ads for wilderness camps where people who's been turning the 1500 unused feet of their cabin into an artist's loft or whipping up a bouillabaise of ...more
Marilyn
This book is, basically, the autobiography of a Harvard graduate who was raised in high society on the East Coast and moved to the West with her husband. After 3 children, and coming to grips with the fact that he was an addict, she finally left him. This is her compilation of her 10 years after the separation, trying to be a single mom, struggling through two of her own children becoming addicted - a horror story. Controlling, uptight, and having no faith in herself (or even a higher power it s ...more
Linda
Written by a local author, about getting her daughter into treatment. I liked it, found the author to have an excellent ability to describe a very difficult struggle. Having been a caseworker, I could relate in some ways to having to place a child out of the home in order to heal.
Emily Smith
This book was an enlightening book from a mothers point of view chronicalling her duaghters addiction and recovery. The ending was not some bull*# happy fluff, it was real life.
Anne
A book that would only be enjoyed by this subculture of families dealing with drugs and drinking. This one is a thoughtful telling with a happy ending.
Tyla Gonzles
this book made me realize alot. i never knew how my mother fealt when i was off doing those things and how i hurt her, no i do. good story.
Jamie Waters
This book was great. I love reading books about drug and alcohol recovery as a social work major.
Laurie
Laurie added it
Aug 06, 2013
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jul 30, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
natalie
natalie marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2012
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
May 31, 2012
Rhonda Rae Baker
Rhonda Rae Baker marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2012
Laura added it
Jun 24, 2013
Tyra Voll
Tyra Voll marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2011
Where the Crooked River Rises: A High Desert Home Between Desert Seasons Via Lactea: A Woman of a Certain Age Walks the Camino I Am Madagascar Barney's joy