Start by marking “Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder” as Want to Read:
Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder

Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,137 ratings  ·  80 reviews
In this #1 New York Times bestseller, Vincent Bugliosi, the famed prosecutor of Charles Manson and best-selling author of Helter Skelter, goes to the heart of the trial that divided the country and made a mockery of justice. He lays out the mountains of evidence; rebuts the defense; offers a thrilling summation; condemns the monumental blunders of the judge, the “Dream Tea ...more
Published June 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Outrage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outrage

Lori
For a case that was overly saturated in the media, and with an abnormal plethora of books written about it, to have one book stand above all the rest is quite a feat.
"Outrage" is not a rehashing of the crimes themselves, nor a step-by-step recounting of the criminal trial. It is master prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi's views on the five main reasons that Simpson got away with murder. And Mr. Bugliosi spares no one. From his biting critique of the prosecutors' weak arguments to amazement at the defe
Dave
As an attorney, this was the first and last book I read on the OJ Simpson prosecution (if it can be called that)... Bugliosi's treatment shreds the LA District Attorney's Office for their incompetence just as convincingly as he lays out the facts that prove (to this reader) Simpson's guilt - beyond reasonable doubt.
Leslie Irish
I "sorta" read Bugliosi's most famous work "Helter Skelter" as a kid (meaning I skimmed it a lot). This one came up in an online forum I was reading and I thought it could be an interesting read, as I was one of the millions who followed the trial on TV as it happened.

The good parts of the book are pretty much the five reasons that the author lays out. He does a good job of explaining how the lousy jury, the inept prosecution, and the bizarre judge botched this case, which should have been a sl
Kcatty
Mar 25, 2013 Kcatty marked it as could-did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I tried to read this after The Sea Will Tell, and, well...as the shelf says, I couldn't finish it.

My main problem with this book, and Bugliosi in general, is that the author has such a big ego that his writing eventually becomes impossible to keep with. This ego is okay when he's talking about a case of his - Helter Skelter is the famous example - but if he's just expressing an opinion...good Lord.

He's like Glenn Greenwald. He talks as if you're an idiot/young child, and repeats himself way
Jenna Hashway
Bugliosi is completely insufferable. I don't think I've ever seen so much ego dripping off the page. I agree with his take on the trial, but still, I found the entire book to be an unpleasant, unseemly, self-serving screed.
David Felder
If you liked "Helter Skelter," don't assume you'll like "Outrage." Rather than police investigation story, Outrage is a very long-winded criticism of the L.A. County's handling of the O.J. Simpson trial. Bugliosi's criticism isn't just reserved for the police department, however, he's got lots to say about the Prosecutors office, the Defense and the jury.

Bugliosi does mention in his forward that he's going to be criticizing, so I won't say he didn't deliver what he promised. And deliver it in pl
Beverly
This book covers the reason O.J. got away with murder according to Vincent Bugliosi. Bugliosi is the prosecutor who prosecuted the Manson murders and wrote Helter Skelter (an excellent book). He is very intelligent and very logical reaching his conclusion on known facts. This is probably why I like him so much since I tend to do the same.

I must forewarn you that Bugliosi is "outraged" at O.J. getting off and it definitely shows in this book. To his credit he warns you up front that he is angry.
Tim
I suppose some readers may find Bugliosi's tone and style a little off-putting. I rather liked it. It's so different from what I'm accustomed to reading. Stern, vigorous, and uncompromising. I can see why Bugliosi was such an extremely effective prosecutor. To be honest, I never really cared all that much about the Simpson case, and I still have no particular interest. The value of this book, for me, lies in its powerful, scathing, commonsensical critique of the lawyers' performances in the case ...more
Kathy
Vincent Bugliosi is one of my favorite authors and I absolutely loved this book. I was not able to watch all of the O.J. trial but knew enough that I was amazed when the jury came back with a not guilty verdict. I know the jury was not able to hear all of the evidence and Judge Ito had trouble controlling the courtroom, but Vincent Bugliosi details additional problems with the prosecution team that assured O.J. would be found not guilty. There were also many problems with the "Dreamteam" but the ...more
Huma Rashid
Bugliosi rips the jury, the defense (so-called "Dream") team, Judge Ito, and the prosecution a new one in this book, and it's clear that he's quite angry and bitter and disgusted about what happened. Appropriate emotions, certainly. Not as well-written as Helter Skelter, and he still has no idea what an epilogue is, but it was engaging and compelling throughout. I particularly enjoyed the bolded portions in which he illustrated what his arguments in response to certain points would have been.

Nelson Candelario jr.
For those people who believe O.J. was guilty, a category that I fall in, this book reinforces any feelings you may have had about the injustice of this case. For those of you who do not feel that O.J. was guilty, this book makes it impossible for you to continue to feel that way after having read it. Bugliosi does a magnificent job of laying out all the overwhelming evidence and criticizing (sometimes to the point of insulting) the prosecutors' lack of competence. My biggest criticism is that he ...more
Tim
Another great read by Bugliosi. I can't get enough of his writing as I really share his outlook and thinking style. This book could be classified as a 'hindsight is 20/20' critique of the Simpson trial, but if you've read any of Bugliosi's work, you see that he has high expectations for excellence and points out how it was obvious the people involved were lazy and incompetent.

I never much followed the Simpson trial. At the same time this was a decent summation of the trial.
Kimberly
I've been wanting to read this book for some time, but I downloaded the free sample on my Kindle first and I sure am glad I did; I could barely take those fifteen minutes worth of Bugliosi's huge ego, let alone an entire book's worth. I can't tell you how happy I am I didn't spend 10 bucks only to receive the literary equivalent of some egomaniac masturbating at himself in the mirror for 528 pages. I think he's let a few things go to his head juuuuust a little bit...
Jim
This is a sobering account of the so-called "trial of the century" of O.J. Simpson. It is rare that I read a book where the author's anger virtually boils from the page but Bugliosi pulls no punches in deconstructing the various players in this saga. A terrific read.
Anita Luebbers Hudson
I really tried to like this book, but I just hated it. I couldn't even finish it.
Randy Cauthen
The last, long section of this is a pretty good primer in forensic rhetoric.
Ginny
I only got to see outtakes of the O.J. Simpson trial in the evening news at the time it was taking place. I was stunned at the verdict because the details I was aware of seemed to point to his guilt. I didn't know Vincent Bugliosi had written a book about the trial or I would have read it when it came out, but even after all these years it was a fascinating read and an unbelievably detailed depiction of everything that went wrong with the prosecution's case and how Simpson got away with murder. ...more
Mitzi
This is just Vincent Bugliosi tooting his own horn.
Syntactical Disruptorize
I noticed some of these facts in the aftermath of the verdict, but did not research deeply enough to see others. The relentless detail in which Bugliosi explains the mistakes made by the prosecution (and by the defense, although they prevailed) grows a little tiresome, but that's not the author's fault. He was mad, and right to be mad.

Simpson may be a jailbird now, but at the time this book was written, the murderer walked free, for five reasons which added up to no good reason at all.
Kevin
Bugliosi took the same detail-oriented and thorough approach to ripping the prosecution in the Simpson case as he did to prosecuting Manson. The title couldn't be more apt. Bugliosi's anger is justified in most places throughout the book, but there were a few points when it seemed to go a little over the top. For instance, in the process of pointing out the incompetence of the prosecutors, Bugliosi attacks room service attendants for forgetting utensils. A bit over the top, but effective.

The boo
Colt
Some can accuse Bugliosi of Monday Morning Quarterbacking, however make no mistake that the man never lost a murder trial that he prosecuted, 21-0 at last count. Vince's style of writing might not be liked by some but I find it refreshing as he personalizes it as if he was sitting in the room with you having a discussion regardless of how lecturing it is. Though most of his heat is directed towards the prosecution of this case he doesn't give the defense in this case glowing reviews either, sugg ...more
Bryan
This book drives home a very disturbing fact that most everyone already knows: O.J. Simpson brutally murdered two people and got away with it. However, Bugliosi does a great job of telling the reader exactly WHY Simpson got away with murder. Literally. Bugliosi walks the reader through the blantant imcompetence of not only the prosecution, but also the defense and Judge Ito. He does so in such a way that, as a reader with absolutely no experience in the field of law, I completely understood the ...more
Oct 31, 2013 Jennifer rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
How do you take a fascinating case like the O.J. Simpson murder trial and make it boring, offensive, and tiresome? Hire Vincent Bugliosi to write a book about it, of course.

I have read quite a few books on the O.J .Simpson case. I strongly believe he is guilty. But I was very curious about this book because I was interested to hear Bugliosi's take on it. The glowing reviews on Amazon convinced me I was about to read a brilliant rhetoric on how and why the state lost the Simpson case. Instead, wh
Rebecca
The OJ Simpson trial was one of the first major media events that I was old enough to follow. That and Monica Lewinsky. I came of age in a great decade.

Anyway. I would have serious reservations about being a Monday-morning quarterback the prosecutors in the case on my own. I've never tried a felony jury trial; I do family law and municipal court, so the idea of a nine-month trial makes my brain crawl out of my ears. However, if there's anyone who could critique in detail, based on his own exper
Keith
A thorough and convincing argument both of Simpson's guilt and that the case was lost primarily due to failures by the prosecution to present their side properly. Bugliosi cites many examples of instances where introduction of a piece of evidence or a testimony would have substantially undermined or even completely eliminated crucial points the defense were presenting. He also correctly points out that the points that the defense used to sway the jury were largely left unaddressed by the prosecu ...more
Terri
Vincent Bugliosi was a great prosecutor and when he analizes the OJ SImpson case, he pulls no punches. He shows why he believes OJ was guilty and why he was found not guilty. He examines the errors of the DA's office, Judge Ito, The Prosecution and The defenses errors. He discusses how he would have done things as prosecutor and he has biting things to say about the media "experts" who covered the trial. He points out what he would have done instead. He also discusses the social impact of the tr ...more
Meredith Dougherty
This book shocked the hell out of me. The amount of evidence that was mishandled or never presented is stunningly enormous. A great read for anyone looking for answers from a monumental case.
Krysia
read Helter Skelter ages ago and remember it as being excellent. this one has some interesting observations about how incompetent everyone (yes, just about everyone) is.
Alaina Blight
Love this book!! How OJ got away with this beggars belief and Vincent Bugliosi puts up a good argument as to why he did. Another solid book by this author.
Kim
Nov 21, 2014 Kim marked it as books-won-from-listia-com  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: www.listia.com
got in the mail. instead of it coming to my house it came in the mail where I work. my supervisor gave it me this evening when i went to town to get my check stub.
i am getting ready to read it
I Understand Why Vincent Bugliosi Wrote It... 1 19 Mar 28, 2010 01:00PM
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Nicole Brown Simpson: the Private Diary of a Life Interrupted
  • I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer
  • Eleanor
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • Sinatra: The Life
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • The Run of His Life : The People versus O. J. Simpson
  • Cruel Doubt
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
  • Why Sinatra Matters
  • American Lightning: Terror, Mystery, the Birth of Hollywood & the Crime of the Century
American attorney and author, best known for prosecuting Charles Manson and his followers for the murder of Sharon Tate and others.

In his books he claimed that O.J Simpson and Lee Harvey Oswald were guilty of the crimes they were accused of.

In his latest book he states that George W. Bush should be prosecuted for murder.

Bugliosi lives in Pasadena, CA.
More about Vincent Bugliosi...
Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders And the Sea Will Tell Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder