Start by marking “The Sadness of Sex” as Want to Read:
The Sadness of Sex

The Sadness of Sex

Soon to be a film premiering at the Sundance Film Festival, The Sadness of Sex is an exhilarating new collection of fiction. The author explores the imagination's twilit terrain in which love, lust and loss reside.
Published February 2nd 1995 by Delta

To ask other readers questions about The Sadness of Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sadness of Sex

Glenn Russell
Apr 25, 2015 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing

Barry Yourgrau wins the grand prize in the category of short-story writer with a vivid imagination. And in this collection of 90 whacky, surreal micro-stories, Barry turns his extraordinary imaginative powers to the topic of Eros, or, in more plain language, that good ol’ trio to which we can all relate: love, lust, sex. To share a taste of what a reader will find in these pages, here are the openings from 5 of my favorites (the last one is mine):

My girlfriend leaves me. I become so unhing
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is my favoritest book of all time. my bible.
Jan 28, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I really really really really really really like these stories. Did I just punch you in the belly on accident? No that was not an inside joke, I'm being serious, I'm concerned.
It's really the last third of the book where the emotion comes out of the weirdness, like a little oily baby. These are stories to recite to your grandchildren by the fire, on a hot August night.
Sep 10, 2007 dr rated it it was amazing
i borrowed this from a friend, and, the particulars of these stories still come back to me. like, a runaway vagina sitting in a tree? what the. universal messages using crazy fantastical elements. i love this book!
4.5 stars. Bittersweet, funny, sexy and surreal micro-stories about love, sex and loss. Yourgrau is of the most exiting writers I've read in ages and I can't wait to read his other collections.
Sep 16, 2011 L rated it it was amazing
I can not really express my thoughts about this except to say than it is full of bits; precious, precious bits.

It makes me want to write more than anything else I have read.
Dec 27, 2010 Jennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: flash-fiction
At first I didn't feel like this collection was as strong as some of Yourgrau's other work, but around the middle I was completely charmed by these stories that are all at once - sad, sexy, surreal, absurd, honest and hysterical. I loved many of them but my favorites were Taboo (a story about the man dating a cannibal) Raid and Acrobatics - which made me laugh for days after I read it. Yourgrau's vocabulary and way with words is unparalelled. I adore his uncanny ability to inject readers into a ...more
Jun 05, 2013 kimberly rated it liked it
took me WAY too long to read this one. and i definitely agree with many of the other reviewers here in that it gets better towards the last third. the first bits are cute, and sweet, and quirky and odd. i wish i'd taken the time to read them all in a shorter time span - i think it would have made a bigger impact. i've also been in a long term relationship so long that it was difficult to fully empathize with the pain of loss after a breakup, which seemed to be the main theme of the book.
Apr 26, 2014 Jaime rated it it was amazing
I can say, I don't read a lot...not by most people's standards. This book has entered in to my thoughts by way of imagery that has never been rivaled. It's been a REALLY LONG time since I've read it and I can't shake certain tales, one in particular, almost in a creepy sort of "did I dream it?", sort of way. Beautiful language and imagery.
NYLon Carry On
Aug 29, 2012 NYLon Carry On rated it it was amazing
Wacky book. Great stories. I loved it. I reread it all of the time. It is a collection of wacky short stories about... Love.
James Alton Moody
May 16, 2008 James Alton Moody rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sexy or passionate or creative people
Wish I could see the TV/Movie production of this...
Imaginative, sometimes a bit haunting.
LOVE to read it while I'm high.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it
This collection has some of Yourgrau's best pieces, but after three volumes of these little dream-like stories it starts to feel like a magician who only has one trick.
May 29, 2009 Jodi rated it liked it
Quirky, bite-sized stories from someone with an impressive creative mind, but the eccentricity begins to seem methodical after reading five or so.
beth rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2007
Patty rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2008
Marielle rated it it was ok
May 05, 2007
mgd rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2008
Breanne rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Jacob Louis
Jacob Louis rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Aaron Jacob
Aaron Jacob rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Dan rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2008
M. Francisca Cruz
M. Francisca Cruz rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2008
saddyboy rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Mindy Roth
Mindy Roth rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Sebastian Backström
Sebastian Backström rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Vcathcart rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Peter Rawlings
Peter Rawlings rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2010
Apr 22, 2010 Derek rated it it was amazing
some of the finest short story I've ever read while rolling on the floor laughing.
Dave Cullen
Jun 01, 2009 Dave Cullen rated it liked it
This WAS sad. An odd downer. Didn't hold my interest.
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Eyeheart Everything
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club and Other Stories
  • Dahlia Season: Stories and a Novella
  • Rat Catching
  • Like Being Killed
  • Frances Johnson

Writer-performer Barry Yourgrau is author of a new memoir about clutter and hoarding, "Mess: One Man's Struggle to Clean Up His House and His Act."

Profile in New York Times: "A Hoarder's Tale of Redemption"

Barry's other books, mainly surreal brief tales such as "Wearing Dad's Head" and "A Man Jumps Out of An Airplane," are considered classics of short-short fiction. He
More about Barry Yourgrau...