Start by marking “Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation” as Want to Read:
Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation

Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  20 reviews
By the authors of the bestselling 13th Gen, the first in-depth examination of the Millennials--the generation born after 1982.
" Over the next decade, the Millennial Generation will entirely recast the image of youth from downbeat and alientated to upbeat and engaged--with potentially seismic consequences for America." --from Millennials Rising
In this remarkable account,
Published September 5th 2000 by Vintage Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Millennials Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Millennials Rising

Carole
How could I not like this book? It's about how awesome my generation is. Granted, it gets a little repetitive (the Millenials are awesome! And they're also really awesome! And guess what else! They're really awesome!), but it's a message that I enjoy hearing repeated.

This book was written in 2000 and it's meant to be a profile of what the generation immediately following Generation X is going to be like. The authors' theory is that history goes in cylces and every 4th generation or so sort of r
Corey
Extremely informative book that draws on enlightening sociological research. The authors effectively argue that the Millenial Generation (those born after 1982) is going to be America's next "great generation" because they are rebelling against the pessimism and moral inferiority of their Gen X parents. My one critique of the book is that it's too long and the author's elaborations on research findings are sometimes too lengthy and maybe a bit too speculative. Everyone worried about "today's you ...more
Pam
I couldn't get through this book. It was a lot of "rah rah the next generation is wonderful" with a lot of random quotes from a lot of varied places that didn't impress me. I totally agree that the next generation is wonderful...that's my kids, but I didn't need over 400 pages to tell me that. I didn't find any practical use for this book and so I finally gave it up.
Carmen
A good textbook to describe the beginnings of the success of my generation.
JP
What I like most about Millennials Rising is its explanation of the dynamics that influence each generation, in general and with much analysis of Millennials in particular. Howe and Strauss theorize that the generations repeat each other in a cycle of four. Each generation solves the biggest problem facing its immediate predecessor, corrects for the behavioral excesses of the now midlife generation, and fills the social void being left by the current elders. To explain this cycle relative to the ...more
Phillip Smith
I bought this book as a light overview of the most recent 3 generations of the American people: Boomers, Generation X and Millennials, the last including all of us born between about 1982 and 2002. The book is divided into 3 parts, essentially past, present (ie, late 2000, when this was published) and future.

Part 1 is very good, especially learning of the huge shift in America's attitudes towards children that occurred in the 1980s. It made me feel quite sorry for Generation X, who missed out on
Claire
This scared me, though it held truth.

I decided not to look at contemporary trends any more, since they make me feel uncomfortable.

The research seems at least semi-valid.
Sarah Maddaford
I didn't exactly read the whole book because I got kinda bored with the main text about halfway through. The introduction and comparison of the generations was fascinating. I did read all the quotes and they were very relevant even though some were pretty shocking to me. The idea that my generation is more civic minded than the previous three generations in addition to being the most sheltered is something I have heard before, but never really believed. This book was written and published before ...more
Jana
I originally read this book when I was in grad school for my M.Ed. and just picked it up to reread for a research project I am doing for a GSB class. It feels a little dated now that the oldest Millennials are turning 31 this year. However, Howe & Strauss are cited in every lit review on generations and are widely recognized as the top generational scholars, so it's a must-read if this is a topic that interests you.
Michelle
This book was written in 2000. It's almost delightfully dated. There is speculation on Millennials based on their teenage years. Although I like the discussion of how Boomers' parenting (Zero Tolerance) and technology has shaped them, it is badly in need of an update about how this generation has responded to 9/11, the last 2 Wars, the Great Recession, and technology's futher evolution.
Martha
It was somewhat interesting. Some of it comes down a little hard on Gen X, which is kind of hard to swallow as someone firmly within Gen X (which I wasn't quite sure of before I read this). However, as someone who works in university admissions and employs millennials, the insights really hit the mark in places.
Jessie
Aug 13, 2007 Jessie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
There's much more to learn by watching generations than there is watching age groups. Anyone interested in creating solutions will do better to create for what's coming down the road, rather than what's been, and this book helps provide "what's coming" information.
Dave Peticolas

Howe and Strauss profile the Millenial Generation, those people born after 1982, and predict their lives will be more similar to those of the Greatest Generation than those of the immediately preceding generations (13th, Boomer, and Silent).

Anna B
After reading multiple books on generations in the workplace this book felt shallow and out of date. Might be a good read for a younger crowd who is just learning about gen-gaps. Definitely not a good book for gen-gap thesis research.
Elizabeth
Here is our future. In the hearts, minds, and capacities of the children of helicopter parents. Not expertly written, but well enough to put the fear of god in you about where these babies of latch-key kids will take us.
Jeanne
This book gave me greater hope for the rising Hero Generation. I can see it happening. If you were born around 1982 and on, you might want to read this book about yourself!
Lori Grant
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and social trends.
Paul
Further explorations of the authors' thesis in "Generations."
Beka
Great Insight on this generation
Lydia Davis
Lydia Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Feb 24, 2015
Thomas Wright
Thomas Wright marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Jennifer Schall
Jennifer Schall marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Aneka Roberts
Aneka Roberts marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Paola Díaz Guzman
Paola Díaz Guzman marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
  • Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • A History of American Higher Education
  • Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled--and More Miserable Than Ever Before
  • The Trophy Kids Grow Up: How the Millennial Generation Is Shaking Up the Workplace
  • The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student
  • The Essential Foucault: Selections from Essential Works of Foucault, 1954-1984
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Balsamic Dreams: A Short But Self-Important History of the Baby Boomer Generation
  • A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America
  • Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House
  • The Nine Nations of North America
  • Ethics
  • A New Religious America: How a "Christian Country" Has Become the World's Most Religiously Diverse Nation
  • Ad Nauseam: A Survivor's Guide to American Consumer Culture
  • Wake Up and Live!
13th Gen: Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail? Millennials Go to College: Strategies for a New Generation on Campus: Recruiting and Admissions, Campus Life, and the Classroom Millenials In the Workplace Millennials & K-12 Schools: Educational Strategies for a New Generation Millennials Go To College: Surveys & Analysis: [From Boomer To Gen X Parents: 2006 College Student And Parent Surveys]