Start by marking “My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home” as Want to Read:
My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home

My Dangerous Desires: A Queer Girl Dreaming Her Way Home

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Amber L. Hollibaugh is a lesbian sex radical, ex-hooker, incest survivor, gypsy child, poor-white-trash, high femme dyke. She is also an award-winning filmmaker, feminist, Left political organizer, public speaker, and journalist. My Dangerous Desires presents over twenty years of Hollibaugh’s writing, an introduction written especially for this book, and five new essays in ...more
Published November 10th 2000 by Duke University Press Books (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about My Dangerous Desires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dangerous Desires

Owen
i first read this in 2001.

amber hollibaugh's voice is really important to me. she speaks with complexity, honesty, passion, compassion. she brings a class and race analysis to feminism and queer movements. she shares and asserts and explores her 'dangerous' desires - making her work so personal and so easy to relate to.

when i first saw her speak when i was nineteen, she opened up a new world with a new language with which to understand my (and The) queer experience. the passages in this book we
CMolieri
Hollibaugh seems to be best known for 'What We're Rolling Around in Bed With,' a piece in Nestle's above anthology. This book documents her work as a self proclaimed dyke, a radical, a former sex worker, a survivor, a feminist, an educator, and her labors of love and frustration throughout the decades as an activist. Moving, Amazing, Inspiring, and Incredible.
Caitlin Constantine
This book was just ridiculously good. Amber Hollibaugh is the kind of person that makes me feel like, if this world can produce someone like her, then maybe it isn't all shit (like I sometimes think it might be). She writes with so much love and respect and honor for even the most difficult people and the most difficult subjects.

There was so much about this that I loved that it is hard for me to single out any one or two specific reasons why. It was just her overall passion for social justice,
Emilia P
So I picked this up because Dorothy Allison wrote the preface, and I was
not disappointed. Hollibaugh lived a life much like that which Dorothy Allison represented thinly veiled in her fiction. A California trailer park kid with a gypsy father, a "race girl" at 12, working as a stripper to fund her life as a political organizer in the 60s (because hey, poor kids into politics don't get bankrolled by their rich liberal parents! so much has (not) changed!)

So yeah, this was a collection of article
Sasa
Dec 28, 2013 Sasa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, lgbt
I would have to say that this is life changing for me. To read a perspective and representation that I wasn't fully aware of. She had an amazing, very difficult life and tied in so many different aspects of life from feminism, lesbianism, victim of incest, politics, etc. I'm just truly amazed by her. She's as real as it gets and I liked how she discussed aging and her break up from an ltr. What's interesting is that even now, I still see the magical thinking that she discussed in one essay that ...more
Lola Wallace
Hollibaugh's essays deal with so many things I always wanted to bring up in my women's and queer studies classes. She talks about actual people having actual sex! Crazy! The essays and conversations in this collection touch on desire, class, sex work, monogamy and sexual jealousy, children's sexuality, the importance of reproductive freedom to the queer liberation movement and the importance of queer liberation to feminism, lesbianism and AIDS, race, drag queens, power in sex... oh, so many cruc ...more
m.g.
Aug 25, 2008 m.g. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those in the struggle
i recently heard hollibaugh speak and it willingly swept me back to the hopefulness of a young radical that has since softened or more likely, exhausted in the afteryears since undergrad. her words and her passion made me goosebumpy, and recognize that at 32, i am too young to look back on my life as an activist. change methods, for sure. become less reactionary and immature, definitely. but hearing her speak was like an elder telling me to sit up straight. a lesson i needed. and an inspiration. ...more
This is a really important book. These essays and interviews are powerful. They tell an uncommonly told, but more commonly experienced than dominant society would have one believe, history of queer liberation, feminism, the anti war movement, union building, HIV/AIDS, and other civil rights/social justice issues in a way that acknowledges and engages how race, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation play into people's experiences and therefore need to be acknowledged and dealt with in any social ...more
Leigh
Heard the author speak a number of years ago and was impressed by the depth and complexity of her thinking. Of course, the same depth and complexity comes thru in the series of essays that make up this book. A number of them put together serve as a sort of memoir of a most interesting coming of age story.
Krista
Nov 30, 2007 Krista rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my queers, feminists
This was one of my favorite memoirs that I read this year and this was a bit of a a Year of the Memoir. It was an awesome exploration of class, of gender, of sexuality, and of femme expression, particularly from a femme of a very different generation than mine.

I am one of those genderfuck-y kids who could easily forget the people who built the ground I could genderfuck on. I appreciate Amber a lot for reminding me both of that and sharing her story.

It's also just really really interesting.
Jane
I read part of this when I was researching a paper for an AIDS class, and dropped everything to read the rest. I have a lot of respect for Hollibaugh--her writing is what you hope to find in such a book: gritty, fearless, and REAL. She does not hold back, lie, or sugar-coat things for you.

I learned a lot from this book. I used it for several subsequent papers, and have recommended it to various people.
Jen
i saw her speak and was really inspired so picked up this book - she's a radical femme with graying hair and lots of wisdom in her book and the talk i heard, she speaks eloquently about class and queerness in ways i have rarely heard. the book tells her stories of coming into her power in different ways.
Joey Diamond
One of those books that brings together so many things so they all make sense. Not just the articulations of butch-femme desire but also the solid working class and activist politics.

It's years since I last read this and now I'm thinking I better re-read.
Hannah
Mandatory reading go read it right now yes you, immediately.
Cassie
this is a great book that i would recommend to anyone! i enjoyed it particularly because it is the only book i have ever read by a gypsy woman about gypsy experience in the united states.
Robyn Obermeyer
This book was way more serious than I had thought. I liked the way it was kinda close up and personal about subject matter that is kept more to myself.i liked the photos in the book also!
Ana
very usefull to me to read the stories of this powerhouse of a movement person.
Devynn emory
auntie amber and her relationship with dorothy alison= swoonfest
sylas
I don't know if I read *all* of this book... maybe nearly all.
Catbird
Yes. and Yes. a book I regularly reread. Yes. Thank you.
Dunya Nadar
desire is not dangerous: silence and trauma are
Bentphx
in stock at bent
Joey Cupcake
Story of my life.
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Aileen Penner
Aileen Penner marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Yen
Yen marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • Boys Like Her: Transfictions
  • PoMoSexuals: Challenging Assumptions About Gender and Sexuality
  • Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States
  • An Archive of Feelings: Trauma, Sexuality, and Lesbian Public Cultures
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
  • Butch Is a Noun
  • Black Queer Studies: A Critical Anthology

“I believe that gay people are different, uniquely gifted with the insights and brilliance that stepping outside the heterosexual norm has given us. That is exactly the source of our power.” 4 likes