Start by marking “Darkness Falls” as Want to Read:
Darkness Falls

Darkness Falls (Clara Pascal #1)

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Clara Pascal had everything. A high-flying barrister and devoted mother, she was envied by her peers. But now she lies in a dark cellar and her kidnapper will not explain why. DI Lawson leads the police team working to find her, but who is her abductor? Even her husband is not above suspicion.
Unknown Binding, 368 pages
Published August 15th 2002 by Not Avail (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Falls

Mandy
May 31, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it
Darkness Falls started very slow, even though it opens with someone dumping a dead body and Clara Pascal being taken. After about 100 pages I considered not reading on. However I have huge respect for authors who have been published and I feel it is disrespectful to not finish a book. It was for that reason and because the chapters which gave you a look into the criminal mind where quite realistic I decided to keep reading.
I'm VERY glad I kept reading because there wasn't just one twist in the
Raluca
The first crime novel I read in English, back when I was in school. I don't remember much of the plot but it really shook my world.
Kay Robinson
Mar 14, 2014 Kay Robinson rated it it was amazing
Pippa 9 year old daughter of Clara and Hugo Pascal insists she wants her always too busy mother, a barrister, to take her to school instead of her babysitter Trish. What happens outside the school that day will change the family's life forever and give DI Steve Lawson and DS Barton their most puzzling case yet. Margaret Murphy gives the reader one of the most disturbing insights into the mind of a serial killer that I've ever read and keeps the reader waiting with bated breath to discover an end ...more
Heather Zuber-Harshman
Jul 29, 2015 Heather Zuber-Harshman rated it really liked it
I like reading books with British lingo in it. It's fun and different; mixes things up. So that was a strong point for this book.

I also appreciated the complexity of the mystery. It wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be, which added intrigue and excitement.

The downside to the book is that it was rather blah for the first 100 or so pages. I was having a hard time getting into it, and there are a lot of characters (perhaps too many?) so I was a bit lost. But then suddenly things fell
Maddy
Jun 02, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2003-reads
Clara Pascal is a wife, mother and holds a high-powered job as a barrister, and all of those things make demands on her time and energy. As the books opens, it's her daughter's birthday; and in spite of the fact that she's in a rush, Clara gives in to Pippa's pleas to be driven to school. As her daughter is walking away from the car, a man abducts Clara, with Pippa the only witness to the act.

As we soon discover, Clara is not a random victim. Her kidnapper has carefully planned the abduction. T
Kelly
Nov 18, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, didnt-finish
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm liking this one or not. I've kind of stumbled through the first 50 pages and not sure whether to continue. Now I'm remembering why I've always avoided reading British mysteries! All the terminology is so damn unfamiliar - DI, PC, DS, CID, SIO, Constable - I have no idea what any of these things stand for or what they are, and it frustrates me and causes irritation. Yes, I could look them all up, but I'll just promptly forget again and have to keep refreshing my memory. I ...more
Rita
Dec 02, 2014 Rita rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The author has the coolest writing style where it's very emotional without being wordy, sappy, overwrought with gooeiness. I confess that I love English books, I am not even sure why. I always feel as it the English writers are more authentic. Not trying to be storytellers. Or maybe there are but coming upon English words and phrases are refreshing. I am not sure, exactly.
Great story and very well developed plots and subplots. Very invigorating to get great characters and exce
Pat
May 03, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Normal people, professional police, a plausible story and a good twist made it thoroughly readable. The tension ratcheted up as you wondered whether the abducted woman would make it out alive (because they don't always) and the pacing was just right. Yes, it was lightweight but very well put together.
Marti
Apr 09, 2012 Marti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all, it is hard to record a book like this, which has the same title as a number of others. I thought that I had meticulously scoured the list, but I may have missed checking a book or two. This takes place in England, obviously. The circumstances may seem rather implausible--surely many lawyers get guilty clients off, and the parents of their victims do not get revenge. I also felt that there could have been some indication as to whether Clara Pascal planned to continue representing sc ...more
♥Dafne♥ Cardenas
I LOVED THIS BOOK FULL OF SUSPENSE AND PHSYCOLOGICAL THRILLER. this book is all about the guilt of a woman caused to a man to kidnap her for her own good. i would recommend this book and this is a book to read for. trust me.
Nicola
May 07, 2013 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 7/10 the story itself was good but i wasnt too keen on how it was wrote if that makes sense
READABLE though
David
Apr 03, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Took a while to get into but momentum built to a great finish
MaryAnn
Mar 31, 2009 MaryAnn rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Chilling mystery--maybe too scary?
Matthew
Jul 28, 2008 Matthew added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to read crime fiction
Shelves: crime
A great crime thriller.
Mary G.
Oct 07, 2010 Mary G. rated it liked it
Good to very good.
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Rosa
Rosa added it
Apr 09, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kelly Williams
Kelly Williams rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Cherie Tanner
Cherie Tanner rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Martin
Martin rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2016
Agnes
Agnes rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jan 26, 2016
Ann G
Ann G rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2016
Mandy Innes
Mandy Innes rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016